Itagaki Gets Bloodier Than Ever With Devil's Third

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ummm interesting
personally the trailer wasn't super enticing but we'll see when the game's a bit more completed

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
shadow skill said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Huh, I'm intrigued, I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully It'll be out soon.
Supposedly the target is sometime in 2012.
Well, I'll be looking forward to it then. Thank you for informing me on that.

Dommius

Aug 8, 2009
Ninjas. Guns. Ninjas WITH Guns. Well, call me easily amused but that looks like it could be mindless fun. I also loved the music choice. Perfect =D

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
shadow skill said:
I meant scientific. There are certain things you do and don't do when you design user interfaces for example. Never pick colours that offer low contrast. Avoid things using yellow for text unless the font size is very big, and always set it to a darker background. Having too many menus or buttons etc will intimidate or outright scare users.

We can argue about the morality or lack thereof of pirating but in the end it doesn't matter. People will naturally attempt to level the playing field if you try to screw them. If they get the chance. When they banned alcohol in the US poisoning the alcohol did not stop people from drinking. [http://www.slate.com/id/2245188] The criminal syndicates even hired chemists to try and "fix" the alcohol. They were the crackers of their day.

Pc gaming and the entire entertainment industry at large is evolving, and at this rate it is not going to turn out good for anyone. The various stunts content providers feel free to pull, the stupid consumers who cheer them on, the pirates who don't care because they "fixed" whatever bullshit the content provider tried, and finally the rest of us.

The content providers need as many excuses as possible to justify their stunts. The MPAA and RIAA consistently point to bogus piracy studies so that they can get the governments of the world to enshrine their current business model. As much as the corporate shills will whine that customers feel entitled the content manufacturers are just as bad if not worse. They want to pervert ownership so that people "agree" to give up ownership when they purchase products that they are otherwise allowed to use indefinitely. They are trying very hard to convince us that we don't own anything, whereas they own everything, until it is inconvenient for them to be responsible for that which they own. At that point it magically becomes ours again.

They have been planning this for a long time now. They just hide behind piracy and now Gamestop's profit margins to trick us into thinking that they are responding the way that they are because of some injury inflicted upon them. They understand better than most that technology is coming to the point where their very existence is threatened regardless what the sales numbers are. The extremely large publisher's days of absolute dominance are fast approaching their end.

Of course none of this is unique to the entertainment industry the private power industry in California paid out bribes to prevent the Hoover dam from being constructed, for example.
No, from what you've said it's still technical. Just because you have a lot of variable values and options doesn't make it science, science is something VERY particular. A spade is a spade. If you are not conducting repeatable experiments with controlled variables and bias then it is not science. That's not a bad thing, technical is good, technical is engineering, but it is based on the same science as consoles.

And sorry, but when it comes to Piracy two wrongs don't make a right.

Yes MPAA and others are guilty of inflating piracy statistics and that undermines their efforts but it is UTTERLY POINTLESS to hear that and then say "well that means I can go Pirate now". No. Same with DRM, buy the game and crack it if you must but don't think your position as a possible customer if the game isn't presented the way you like means you can dine and dash.

If you are angry and want to make a protest, make an ACTUAL protest and don't buy OR PLAY the game at all, there is NO WAY any developer would interpret a load of piracy of their game as a protest. It is such spurious logic, in the face of DRM we need to REDUCE piracy, we need to acknowledge the concerns of the game makers.

I just hope there are enough people in the industry that see the perspective of people like me, who NEVER pirate, who buys SO MANY games and is totally committed and why should I be punished for asshats who don't want to pay for entry.

PC gaming is in SUCH A CRITICAL CONDITION we cannot suffer to allow piracy. PC is in such tight competition with the established consoles that we MUST buy every PC game we want to play! See it doesn't matter if it is true or not the point is most game-makers THINK that piracy = people getting the game for free, regardless of if they buy it later. So please do not download a single other game, because you are only contribution to the problem.

Don't petition to me that piracy rates may not matter, Petition to John Carmack of iD software who has turned his back on PC gaming after 2 decades of service to PC gaming, to Crytek who were PC exclusive now gone multiplatform, petition to the SCORES of developers who used to make games exclusively for PC but are now either on PS3/360/PC or... console only. Established console developers see PC gaming as an afterthought.

But I think the problem is two fold: not just piracy but change in demographics.

I think we are a different generation, a generation of digital convenience against the analogue ambiguities of the 1990's. Apple has sold the "simpler is better" that technology should be "easily accessible" above all else which is where consoles have an undoubted advantage over PC: any idiot can use them.

PC gaming is haemorrhaging users to console gaming because:
-They buy the bullshit that consoles are as good as PC graphics (duur, lets just compare a few low resolution screenshots)
-They don't have to tax their brain-matter on the technical details of PC gaming, it's just plug and play, checkbox "customisation", really idiot-proof stuff.
-it has become more accepted for older teenagers and young adults to play consoles on the sofa, PC gaming has a certain stigma to it that makes it hard to market to.

that's the Apple model: convince you're better than the others through marketing and "image" rather than actual tech specs, market it as "popular" that is acceptable and "all your friends are doing it", lure them in with the ease of use and than SNAP the trap shut! Trap them with subscriptions, peripherals, before they know it they are living the "lifestyle" and, how do they say; "drinking the kool aid [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid]".

Console gaming is in a good "place" for marketers, it's in the living room, it's popular, social, it's played from the Ikea couch, they can make it a LIFESTYLE. HDTV ties in with VERY WELL UNDERSTOOD demographics of TV watchers, marketers and advertisers have been studying this group for decades. Also the almost entirely disc based means a familiar selling and income model that is difficult on PC with the huge Direct download factor.

Rampant piracy is the tipping point for PC game-makers, too small a proportion are gaming on PC and too high a proportion of those don't feel "compelled" to buy the games anyway.

Stop being part of the problem:
-Buy PC games
-Evangelise PC gaming to all your console friends

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
This looks pretty spectacular, and it would be awesome if the team are able to pull off this Slasher/Shooter/Parkour game. Scenery looks good, the blood looks brilliant and the animations look fantastic! I'm going to look forward to this, and it may even get to be my "most anticipated game".

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Treblaine said:
shadow skill said:
I meant scientific. There are certain things you do and don't do when you design user interfaces for example. Never pick colours that offer low contrast. Avoid things using yellow for text unless the font size is very big, and always set it to a darker background. Having too many menus or buttons etc will intimidate or outright scare users.

We can argue about the morality or lack thereof of pirating but in the end it doesn't matter. People will naturally attempt to level the playing field if you try to screw them. If they get the chance. When they banned alcohol in the US poisoning the alcohol did not stop people from drinking. [http://www.slate.com/id/2245188] The criminal syndicates even hired chemists to try and "fix" the alcohol. They were the crackers of their day.

Pc gaming and the entire entertainment industry at large is evolving, and at this rate it is not going to turn out good for anyone. The various stunts content providers feel free to pull, the stupid consumers who cheer them on, the pirates who don't care because they "fixed" whatever bullshit the content provider tried, and finally the rest of us.

The content providers need as many excuses as possible to justify their stunts. The MPAA and RIAA consistently point to bogus piracy studies so that they can get the governments of the world to enshrine their current business model. As much as the corporate shills will whine that customers feel entitled the content manufacturers are just as bad if not worse. They want to pervert ownership so that people "agree" to give up ownership when they purchase products that they are otherwise allowed to use indefinitely. They are trying very hard to convince us that we don't own anything, whereas they own everything, until it is inconvenient for them to be responsible for that which they own. At that point it magically becomes ours again.

They have been planning this for a long time now. They just hide behind piracy and now Gamestop's profit margins to trick us into thinking that they are responding the way that they are because of some injury inflicted upon them. They understand better than most that technology is coming to the point where their very existence is threatened regardless what the sales numbers are. The extremely large publisher's days of absolute dominance are fast approaching their end.

Of course none of this is unique to the entertainment industry the private power industry in California paid out bribes to prevent the Hoover dam from being constructed, for example.
No, from what you've said it's still technical. Just because you have a lot of variable values and options doesn't make it science, science is something VERY particular. A spade is a spade. If you are not conducting repeatable experiments with controlled variables and bias then it is not science. That's not a bad thing, technical is good, technical is engineering, but it is based on the same science as consoles.

And sorry, but when it comes to Piracy two wrongs don't make a right.

Yes MPAA and others are guilty of inflating piracy statistics and that undermines their efforts but it is UTTERLY POINTLESS to hear that and then say "well that means I can go Pirate now". No. Same with DRM, buy the game and crack it if you must but don't think your position as a possible customer if the game isn't presented the way you like means you can dine and dash.

If you are angry and want to make a protest, make an ACTUAL protest and don't buy OR PLAY the game at all, there is NO WAY any developer would interpret a load of piracy of their game as a protest. It is such spurious logic, in the face of DRM we need to REDUCE piracy, we need to acknowledge the concerns of the game makers.

I just hope there are enough people in the industry that see the perspective of people like me, who NEVER pirate, who buys SO MANY games and is totally committed and why should I be punished for asshats who don't want to pay for entry.

PC gaming is in SUCH A CRITICAL CONDITION we cannot suffer to allow piracy. PC is in such tight competition with the established consoles that we MUST buy every PC game we want to play! See it doesn't matter if it is true or not the point is most game-makers THINK that piracy = people getting the game for free, regardless of if they buy it later. So please do not download a single other game, because you are only contribution to the problem.

Don't petition to me that piracy rates may not matter, Petition to John Carmack of iD software who has turned his back on PC gaming after 2 decades of service to PC gaming, to Crytek who were PC exclusive now gone multiplatform, petition to the SCORES of developers who used to make games exclusively for PC but are now either on PS3/360/PC or... console only. Established console developers see PC gaming as an afterthought.

But I think the problem is two fold: not just piracy but change in demographics.

I think we are a different generation, a generation of digital convenience against the analogue ambiguities of the 1990's. Apple has sold the "simpler is better" that technology should be "easily accessible" above all else which is where consoles have an undoubted advantage over PC: any idiot can use them.

PC gaming is haemorrhaging users to console gaming because:
-They buy the bullshit that consoles are as good as PC graphics (duur, lets just compare a few low resolution screenshots)
-They don't have to tax their brain-matter on the technical details of PC gaming, it's just plug and play, checkbox "customisation", really idiot-proof stuff.
-it has become more accepted for older teenagers and young adults to play consoles on the sofa, PC gaming has a certain stigma to it that makes it hard to market to.

that's the Apple model: convince you're better than the others through marketing and "image" rather than actual tech specs, market it as "popular" that is acceptable and "all your friends are doing it", lure them in with the ease of use and than SNAP the trap shut! Trap them with subscriptions, peripherals, before they know it they are living the "lifestyle" and, how do they say; "drinking the kool aid [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid]".

Console gaming is in a good "place" for marketers, it's in the living room, it's popular, social, it's played from the Ikea couch, they can make it a LIFESTYLE. HDTV ties in with VERY WELL UNDERSTOOD demographics of TV watchers, marketers and advertisers have been studying this group for decades. Also the almost entirely disc based means a familiar selling and income model that is difficult on PC with the huge Direct download factor.

Rampant piracy is the tipping point for PC game-makers, too small a proportion are gaming on PC and too high a proportion of those don't feel "compelled" to buy the games anyway.

Stop being part of the problem:
-Buy PC games
-Evangelise PC gaming to all your console friends
Science is not limited to the scientific method. In fact what you are refering to is only the second definition of science. Take note of definition one and seven in particular: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/science

At any rate regardless of how we view piracy morally we have to face the fact that it happens. Some of it is indeed a reaction to the state of the market (The destruction of the second hand market outside of the increasingly informal [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informal_sector] market. The lack of viable rental mechanisms being even more important.), some of it is just douchebaggery, but at the end of the day the consoles are evolving to the same place that the PC already is at. Systems that don't have anywhere near the piracy problem (Allegedly.) are now experiencing attacks on the second hand market and to a lesser degree the rental market.

It can't be because of piracy, not when the publishers claim they are moving to consoles because of "Rampant piracy on the PC." The only other option left is that they have a specific agenda. Look at MW2, they removed things like dedicated servers, something that could easily be monetized by Activision by licensing the server program to ISP's and taking a cut of the fees they get from customers. They removed it because they want to be able to forcibly render a game obsolete and force people to buy more shit. If they kept dedicated servers and let people run servers or pay an ISP for access to a server they wouldn't be able to crank out another Call of Duty in a year or two and drive sales to that new product as easily. Mods were the same deal, you can't charge fifteen dollars for five maps, two of which are rehashes if people can create their own maps.

Now hopefully what was tried with MW2 will end up not working quite as planned and we will see a return of things like dedicated servers etc. That is what Treyarch seem to be indicating, but I will believe them when I see it. PC gaming isn't on life support if you believe Valve (Which I am inclined to. Considering the increased revenue in 2009.) it is just that the big publishers have a specific environment they are trying to create on PC's and consoles.

Dapper Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Meh, I might be interested if the game was being made by someone other than Itagaki. This looks pretty much like a slight variation on Ninja Gaiden, which I found to be incredibly dull and un-enjoyable. Itagaki seems to think that making the game cheap and gory is a valid substitute for good design.

Plus, for someone whose two notable series are pretty much only remembered for their gore and blatant misogyny, he's incredibly smug. Anyone notice the trailer's reference to him as a "legendary" game designer creating his next "epic masterpiece"? Really, Itagaki? Really?

The music was nice, though.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Itagaki's too damn hilarious too legitimately hate; the only thing I can criticize the current build of Devil's Third for is the graphical detail but that will undoubtedly improve over time.