iThread

CommandoUK

Nov 21, 2008
ChristmasChild said:
And WTF is up with the iPhone commercials with the "magic hand"? O want to see someone using them like they were meant to be used. Mindless, repetetive tapping, screaming in frustration at the dusty screen!
lol i love those adverts "Download files in no time" yea but the file that there downloading in that advert is only a few Kilobytes

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
quickpaw said:
Susceptibility to viruses. Macs are almost completely immune. Whereas computers you either have to buy extra virus protection or expect you're computer to be infected within 30 seconds of internet use.
You'd be surprised [http://www.appscout.com/2008/12/apple_encouraging_antivirus_ap.php], actually...

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
Clairaudient said:
This is an unfounded generalisation with some flame on top.
For some reason I can't quite understand this just cracked me up. Seriously. I don't mean made me chuckle, I mean I had tears streaming down my face.

For some reason it made me think of a cake or something, with a little bit of fire instead of a cherry.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
quickpaw said:
Nimbus said:
quickpaw said:
Nimbus said:
xxcloud417xx said:
Well, we can't deny that Apple makes great computers. Most will even say they're better than PC (hell, I agree). So I figured that mac users deserved a Mac thread (even PC users should read up on Mac). So here it is the iThread dedicated to Mac chat.

I would also like to invite some pro Mac users to discuss on here and answer questions about Macs.
I would say that 90% of computer users disagree with you.
Just because computers are in the majority does not make them superior. Macs are better in every aspect
Name one.
Susceptibility to viruses. Macs are almost completely immune. Whereas computers you either have to buy extra virus protection or expect you're computer to be infected within 30 seconds of internet use.
You have got to be joking...

Macs aren't immune to viruses. Let's get that piece of fantasy out of the way right now. The deal here is that Macs occupied such a small percentage of the market share that the hackers and other cyber criminals simply wouldn't waste their time developing a virus or program that they'll get next to no use out of.

Back in the olden days when they were first being developed, Windows and the PC platform was intended for office work and financial data where the average Mac was meant as a graphics computer. That still carries over into the modern day. Hackers would target the PC because that's what almost everyone has and that's where the financial data is. Apple didn't actually do a damned thing to make their OS virus proof, they just championed this happy little bit of luck as a benefit for their platform. I guess they may have done that a little too well. Now that there is a significant enough number of Mac computers out there in the public it's now worth the hacker's time to create a bug to go fuck with some poor schmuck using a MacBook. So, simply put, Macs aren't immune to viruses, they just haven't been worth the cyber criminals' time.

Oh, and Apple sure as hell isn't on top of the ball with their software anyway. Look at the iPhone right now. Those things are being hacked into left and right with little resistance.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Siuss said:
Nimbus said:
Annoyance: The only OS I have used that I thought was worse to use than OSX was Ubuntu. And that was probably because I didn't give Ubuntu a proper try.
You probably didn't give it a solid try, I run Ubuntu. I like it. Well mostly because IT DIDN'T COST A FORTUNE!
Yeah, you're right. I didn't give it a solid try. i only used it because I accidentally deleted all my drivers in windows. Don't ask :/

TJ rock 101 said:
Macs rool!
they are much more "user friendly" than others and the just look so cool. ^^
People like you give Mac users a bad name.

TJ rock 101

May 20, 2008
Nimbus said:
quickpaw said:
Nimbus said:
xxcloud417xx said:
Well, we can't deny that Apple makes great computers. Most will even say they're better than PC (hell, I agree). So I figured that mac users deserved a Mac thread (even PC users should read up on Mac). So here it is the iThread dedicated to Mac chat.

I would also like to invite some pro Mac users to discuss on here and answer questions about Macs.
Just because computers are in the majority does not make them superior. Macs are better in every aspect
Name one.
My other post, read it. (just above this one)

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Jeez, the PC fanboys swarmed on this thread.

This isn't a Mac supremacist wank, as many of you seem to think. I figured that this was a discussion. So non-Mac users, please circle-jerk somewhere else. Thank you.

EDIT: See Anarchemitis' post. Then, can we re-rail this thread?

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
*Re-railing Thread*

My preference has always been with the PC, mainly from a gaming perspective. I will admit that I do like the Mac for one reason: graphics editing. I'm a photographer and an artist and programs like Photoshop and Illustrator work very well on the average iMac. That's the kind of thing that Apple originally intended the Macs for in the first place. Of course, my PC can run both those programs just as effectively as any Mac can with the added benefit of also being able to run all of my games and any Windows-based applications.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
SecretTacoNinja said:
NewClassic said:
Wall of computer lingo. :p

Hope that helped.
That helps a lot actually, thanks.
Lemme know if you want me to clarify anything, considering most of what I said was pretty generalized. Through PMs, I've mono-railed this thread enough as-is.

Lord Krunk said:

This isn't a Mac supremacist wank, as many of you seem to think. I figured that this was a discussion. So non-Mac users, please circle-jerk somewhere else. Thank you.
I think the reason PC users got so up in arms is the original poster's attitude. While "Most will even say they're better than PC (hell, I agree)." isn't quite "PCs blow lawl," it's still a rather generalized statement that doesn't accurately convey the message.

Then take his offensive-stance to any PC-user's reply, and you have a recipe for rudeness. It's like starting a thread called "Black Power" and making the opening line be nothing but "White people can't jump, and they have no rhythm."

Generalizations are a guaranteed way to offend the hell out of majority of the group they're generalizing. So I feel the general PC-user response is justified. Granted, some of us are more rude than others, but many of us have been very level-headed throughout the duration of the thread.

Also, referring to is as a "PC circle jerk" is offensive in it's own right. Especially considering if all of the PCers left, it would just become a "I agree, Macs are good at x" thread.

Although, I'm going to have to echo the sentiments for the users who've been rude on this thread. Being stand-off-ish won't accomplish anything but having the thread locked. If you're going to agree or disagree, hazard the effort to make it polite.

EDIT
What the hell? How do I keep getting the first post on the new page? This is the third time today...

EDIT[sup]²[/sup]
Nimbus said:
TJ rock 101 said:
Macs rool!
Fine, I'll respond to this in more detail. "User friendly" generally means "idiots can use it". I agree with you on this one. Idiots CAN use Macs. Also, I hate the way Macs look. Where's the neon? Where are the cold cathodes? Why dosn't it look like a monolith.
This is an example of what not to do.

spuddyt

Nov 22, 2008
quickpaw said:
Nimbus said:
quickpaw said:
Nimbus said:
xxcloud417xx said:

Name one.

I was waiting for someone to say that!
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Apple-Mac-Malware-Spyware,news-29769.html

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
TJ rock 101 said:
Macs rool!
Fine, I'll respond to this in more detail. "User friendly" generally means "idiots can use it". I agree with you on this one. Idiots CAN use Macs. Also, I hate the way Macs look. Where's the neon? Where are the cold cathodes? Why dosn't it look like a monolith.

jim_doki

Mar 29, 2008
There is an old addage that I feel applies here. it goes "PC users will not accept that the mac is a decent computer, and Mac users refuse to believe there has ever been anything wrong with a mac".

quite simply it doesn't really matter any more. they are about equal, roughly

TJ rock 101

May 20, 2008
jim_doki said:
There is an old addage that I feel applies here. it goes "PC users will not accept that the mac is a decent computer, and Mac users refuse to believe there has ever been anything wrong with a mac".

quite simply it doesn't really matter any more. they are about equal, roughly
/agree

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
NewClassic said:
Lord Krunk said:

I think the reason PC users got so up in arms is the original poster's attitude. While "Most will even say they're better than PC (hell, I agree)." isn't quite "PCs blow lawl," it's still a rather generalized statement that doesn't accurately convey the message.

Then take his offensive-stance to any PC-user's reply, and you have a recipe for rudeness. It's like starting a thread called "Black Power" and making the opening line be nothing but "White people can't jump, and they have no rhythm."

Generalizations are a guaranteed way to offend the hell out of majority of the group they're generalizing. So I feel the general PC-user response is justified. Granted, some of us are more rude than others, but many of us have been very level-headed throughout the duration of the thread.

Also, referring to is as a "PC circle jerk" is offensive in it's own right. Especially considering if all of the PCers left, it would just become a "I agree, Macs are good at x" thread.

Although, I'm going to have to echo the sentiments for the users who've been rude on this thread. Being stand-off-ish won't accomplish anything but having the thread locked. If you're going to agree or disagree, hazard the effort to make it polite.
While I agree, this was meant to be a discussion about Macs, tech support and whatnot. I would just like if it stayed that way, and didn't descend into a flame war.

orifice

Nov 18, 2008
Anytime a mac user tries to tell me that macs are better, I just laugh and say "yeah ok, I'm off to play one of the many thousands of games available to me".

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
*cough*

erm...

Don't Macs and PCs actually use the same hardware now?

It's like asking, "PC or a Dell?"

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
Lord Krunk said:

EDIT: See Anarchemitis' post. Then, can we re-rail this thread?
thank you.

Yeah I think even I derailed on this thread. But this thread was about Mac users talking about Macs, and PC users who are curious.

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
By the way, those of you who are thinking of me as a Mac fanboy, I own a PC. its my Gaming Rig and it runs great, i love it. But when i walk into the school Computer Lab and see a bunch of PCs it annoys me. Especially since all we do in that lab is editing. video, audio, photo any kind of media editing.

Now to get back on track some more.

The people who are telling me that this is a game website and that mac discussion doesn't belong here need to go look some stuff up. Macs run games. Go into an Apple Store, there are mac games, EA has returned to Mac and I think so has Activision (since there are Guitar Hero and Call of Duty for Mac now). Now here's the question, as i said above i play games on my PC, so i dont know how macs perform on a video game. How are they?