Its a racist day in my neighborhood.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
***EDIT*** I originally had what city I live in but have edited it out on the small chance some idiot on my property recognizes this.

So I live in one of the largest cities in the province of Ontario. We are nothing if not ethnic and racially diverse, whether Canadian born or new Canadians. I myself am a product of a bi-racial couple, my father White, my mother being Mulatto. (one black parent on white parent) Thus making my siblings and I Quadroons. Yes people still use these terms, and no not negatively.

I work as a Building/Property manager for a rental property. The incident starts out innocently enough, while having my break, I was speaking to a tenant, and another tenant approaches, this second tenant whom I thought a very decent person and whom always for over a month brought me a coffee in the morning. Anyway, due to what followed I can't even remember how whatever topic we were on got to race, but it did, and he piped up with his former social worker was a black woman and was a ******. And as just an after thought she was a thieving ****** who some how miraculously stole from his welfare cheque. And then it was ****** ***** with a ****** attitude.
I thought I was going to explode on the spot.

Now as I mentioned as I am a the child of a bi-racial couple, racism is not new to me. I spent a large chunk of my childhood beating the shit of of schoolyard bullies who thought it was a good idea to pick on my little brother. (the only one of us 5 children who got a fraction of my mother's skin color) And not just school age children, but school teachers, pediatricians, librarians, the public in general who would ask my little 7 year brother if he was adopted. As if the adult mind could not fathom that a white man would marry and procreate with a black woman. This was the mid 80's through the 90's. God I'm still bitter and angry for every time my brother would get upset.

So anyway back to my present situation.

This person is my tenant and I am at work, it took every ounce of self will I have to walk away, and not fucking explode and at the VERY LEAST start screaming, at worst fucking punch this man in the face.

But now 10 hours later what is bothering me is that I just walked away and let him carry on. I was choking on rage and stomach bile was curdling up in to my mouth. I couldn't even think of a sensible non-violent or non-insulting thing to say.

What should I have done?

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
Takes much more of a man to do what you did.

I say good on you. However.

That doesn't make what he was saying right or any more tolerable...... but sometimes it's just better to let them go off..... and hopefully learn on their own; when they find that they are alone.

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
Kudos to being able to just walk away and not strangle the guy. You probably did the best thing especially considering he's a tenant.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
I think it was very big of you to do that, especially while at work. At the same time however, I also feel you could have at least let him know in a polite manner that you were insulted. Something along the lines of how you take offense to the term because of your background.

If you're talking about being quiet vs exploding though, being quiet is definitely the better of the two.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Racism is stupid no matter who does it. I feel bad for ya.

On a related note, with a twist, I was in Toronto a few years ago, and going for a walk downtown at around 11pm. I passed a couple (white guy and a black girl) who were being followed and harassed by several young black guys, yelling things like: "race traitor!"

I was pretty shocked because that was actually the most overtly racist thing I have ever seen or heard by a long way. Anyway long story short, I am just gonna assume Ontario sucks :D

I feel bad for you though, those guys were complete, ignorant, assholes.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
As much as it sucks you probably did the best thing. For one, you don't want to make an major issue where you and this tenant can't get along. He can easily make your life hell. For another, it shows you're the bigger person.

Honestly, I can't believe people still think like this. I know older men who will tell you they had been racist before. I asked one what changed and he said that he realized society looked down on that kind of thing nowadays and would only make his life hard, so he basically just stopped. I'm sure it wasn't THAT simple, but considering some of the stories I heard, its something else that either of them are not racist these days. If they can see that, why can't others?

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
Thank you all for you kind comments, but as I must face this tenant tomorrow, and this jerk will try to bring me a coffee, I must say something before he runs his mouth again, I rent to the majority of my family, he will eventually see that my mother is a black woman.

So I either show him, tell him, or throw the god damn coffee in his face.

And yes it was that I had nothing but anger to spew at him, and being at work, that I remained silent.

And you know, oddly enough it the major thing was I had not been faced with such obvious in your face racism in so long, that I was shocked that anyone from any generation still openly talked this way with relative strangers. Really I was shocked.

Dimitriov said:
Saltyk said:
You both said better, yeah I was just flabbergasted at the openness of it as well.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
As the other posts have mentioned, you did the right thing, though I don't think anyone would have held it against you if you'd knocked that guy the hell out.

In any case, as irritating as it is, the guy's entitled to his opinions regardless of how moronic they are. Other things to keep in mind is that the guy might not be a genuine racist. We all get pissed off and we all vent sometimes, and say things we don't mean. This doesn't excuse him, of course. Just keep in mind that people have a strange way of shouting whatever hurtful words they can associate with a situation when they're annoyed by it. A fellow might be in no way homophobic and fully supportive of the gay rights movement but, when confronted by an annoying, high-pitched, skinny gentleman in a pink T-shirt, might be inclined to use the word "******", simply because it's the most controversial term that jumps to mind.

Really, you should let it go, but if it bothers you that much and you think you can keep your temper under control, you might try having a quiet word with this chap and seeing what he has to say for himself.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
I couldn't even think of a sensible non-violent or non-insulting thing to say.

What should I have done?
It's good that you didn't react violently, it would only bolster the man's negative prejudice, and it's unjustified to physically attack someone for saying something you find offensive unless they're directly abusing you.

You could have perhaps raised your objection politely and pointed out your own racial heritage. You might even have gotten an embarrassed apology out of him, and he might temper his tongue more wisely next time.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Yeah you did the right thing. I tend to have fantasies of hitting and/or just giving a good tongue lashing to people like that. But it doesn't really work in real life in the adult world. You have your reputation to consider after all.

Gloomsta

Oct 27, 2011
michiehoward said:
***EDIT*** I originally had what city I live in but have edited it out on the small chance some idiot on my property recognizes this.

So I live in one of the largest cities in the province of Ontario. We are nothing if not ethnic and racially diverse, whether Canadian born or new Canadians. I myself am a product of a bi-racial couple, my father White, my mother being Mulatto. (one black parent on white parent) Thus making my siblings and I Quadroons. Yes people still use these terms, and no not negatively.

I work as a Building/Property manager for a rental property. The incident starts out innocently enough, while having my break, I was speaking to a tenant, and another tenant approaches, this second tenant whom I thought a very decent person and whom always for over a month brought me a coffee in the morning. Anyway, due to what followed I can't even remember how whatever topic we were on got to race, but it did, and he piped up with his former social worker was a black woman and was a ******. And as just an after thought she was a thieving ****** who some how miraculously stole from his welfare cheque. And then it was ****** ***** with a ****** attitude.
I thought I was going to explode on the spot.

Now as I mentioned as I am a the child of a bi-racial couple, racism is not new to me. I spent a large chunk of my childhood beating the shit of of schoolyard bullies who thought it was a good idea to picked on my little brother. (the only one of us 5 children who got a fraction of my mother's skin color) And not just school age children, but school teachers, pediatricians, librarians, the public in general who would ask my little 7 year brother if he was adopted. As if the adult mind could not fathom that a white man would marry and procreate with a black woman. This was the mid 80's through the 90's. God I'm still bitter and angry for every time my brother would get upset.

So anyway back to my present situation.

This person is my tenant and I am at work, it took every ounce of self will I have to walk away, and not fucking explode and at the VERY LEAST start screaming, at worst fucking punch this man in the face.

But now 10 hours later what is bothering me is that I just walked away and let him carry on. I was choking on rage and stomach bile was curdling up in to my mouth. I couldn't even think of a sensible non-violent or non-insulting thing to say.

What should I have done?
Its better not to give into the rage.

Infact pity him for his lack of intelligence.

Racism and Nationalism is always a sign for insecurity, weakness of charachter, lack of personal strength and just all around lack of intelligence.

That person will be miserable in his later life.

Laught it off to be honest, dont act out on anger or hate.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
As a general rule, assholes don't think they are assholes, and most racists don't think they are actually racist. They think they are, "Politically Incorrect". Chances are, the best thing would be to wait until he was a ways into his rant and then say, "My moms Bi-racial". Odds are he would choke on his own words, stammer, and all you need to do is look dissapointed in him to ruin his day. Of course, there's also a small chance that he would make a scene, and make everything very uncomfortable. So maybe what you did was for the best, and it would be a difficult thing to do. Maybe if you left with the clear implication that you left because you disapproved of him. But who knows.

You know, I just watched an episode of house where house says, "Following your heart is easy, following your head is tough"

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I probably would have responded with some snide little racial comment back at the person, but thats not the right way to do it.

You did the best thing in the situation, and thats all that can be said really. Good on you.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
Xanadu84 said:
Your quite right and so was House on Monday, in my heart it felt as if he had struck me across the face and spat on my mom. My head said he's a piece of shit, walk away, your at work and don't need to be arrested.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
I know how you feel, I'm Bisexual, and in the many years I spent closeted I just had to swallow my anger every time someone used homophobic slurs or just the term "gay" as an insult (And I live in Utah, so that happened ALLOT). Now most people know better than to say that in front of me, but the situation still occurs from time to time.

You probably did the best possible thing, I really cant think of anything you could have said that wouldn't have ended badly.

ScarlettRage

May 13, 2009
walking away is the best thing you probably could have done.
i am mix raced myself, and its very hard to handle.

... Though with my attitude and anger issues, he would have been told off... AT THE LEAST.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Gloomsta said:
Nationalism is always a sign for insecurity, weakness of charachter, lack of personal strength and just all around lack of intelligence.
No it's not. Please don't confuse the ambiguous, general term "nationalism" with casual racism.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Exactly what you did.

You could have mentioned "You know, I'm part black" and seen what he said. Probably would have resulted in blows, though.