It's not a sport if you can't play it

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
In my Calculus class, there's this guy who sits behind me who plays baseball and such. He's been kinda vocal about things like sports, and today the class watched a video about bobsledding and skeleton (looks that last one up if you have to). Now, even though I still have no idea how it tied into the lesson for that day, it was pretty interesting. But the aforementioned baseball player said "That's not a sport. It's not a sport if you can't play it." You can't "play" bobsled, he said. You can't "play" swimming, he said. I (and several others in the class who heard him) think that's a load of bull.

What are your thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

By the way, I'm not trying to demonize the guy, I just think he's pretty dang wrong on this one.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Well I guess by his logic board games are sports now, seeing as how you play them and what not.

This guy seems to have a very odd definition of what a sport is, sport is defined as an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature. I'm not going to call him stupid for this, he's just wrong. I would love to know how he got this idea in his head.

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
Tartarga said:
This guy seems to have a very odd definition of what a sport is, sport is defined as an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature. I'm not going to call him stupid for this, he's just wrong. I would love to know how he got this idea in his head.
I think he believes that something is only a sport if there's a ball or a moving object - like baseball, hockey, golf, etc.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Both Bobsledding and Swimming take a tremendous amount of work to be good at. Heck, I'd go so far as to suggest that both take more effort, time and perseverance to succeed in then Baseball ( I'm not sure about Bobsledding, I know Swimming takes more effort then Baseball does.)

And yes, Bobsledding is used in math as an example for problems quite a bit. Almost in the same way that geometry uses the flagpole/shadow example.

As for what constitutes a sport, I'll just stick with the definition of it.

A sport is all forms of physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical fitness and provide entertainment to participants

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I...I can't play swimming?

-throws his water wings to the ground and hangs up his ducky inner-tube, hangs his head low and walks away in silence, without a word, a single tear rolls down his cheek-

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
maddawg IAJI said:
And yes, Bobsledding is used in math as an example for problems quite a bit. Almost in the same way that geometry uses the flagpole/shadow example.
Haha, well, if there was any relation, my teacher didn't use it. He kinda got sidetracked once the skeleton video came up on the Youtube suggestions.

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
Strain42 said:
I...I can't play swimming?

-throws his water wings to the ground and hangs up his ducky inner-tube, hangs his head low and walks away in silence, without a word, a single tear rolls down his cheek-
If you were wearing water wings and a ducky inner-tube, it probably wasn't a sport anyways, kid.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Being able to "play" something doesn't make it a sport, it makes it a GAME. You compete in a sport, you play a game. Now go and tell him that baseball is a children's game and see how he reacts.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
We can only hope that one day he mans up and tries a real competition. Like chess boxing, or Australian Indoor Rules Quidditch.

I was thinking about breaking out a 4-wedge 2D graph to try and explain this concept (not sure I'm even using the right term for the chart in question), but then I had too much time debating what should be put on the axes. Then I got distracted thinking about the comedy sketch potential of a guy showing up to "play" a triathlon. And calling a double amputee a cheater.

Give me a day or two, and I can give you a thesis paper on the athletic merits of laser tag.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
Being able to "play" something doesn't make it a sport, it makes it a GAME. You compete in a sport, you play a game. Now go and tell him that baseball is a children's game and see how he reacts.
You dirty hipsters! Giving my answer before it was my answer.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I can play with myself, I guess fapping is a sport now xD. Go tell him that if you're feeling silly.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Amethyst Wind said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
You dirty hipsters! Giving my answer before it was my answer.
I was giving that answer before it was cool!

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Well... I used to play with my ex-girlfriend's tits.

Are her tits a sport?

(Seriously, quote me on this. Troll that kid. He's an ass.)

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
Footracing is a sport. Bobsledding and swimming are forms of racing (even if the contestants do not race simultaneously.)

Well, his first argument's shit. Can't imagine it went uphill from there.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Baseball and things are games. Sport is any type of physical activity... I think. I'm the least active person ever so don't quote me on this.