It's not a sport if you can't play it

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
If it's athletic and competitive it's a sport. Things you play... as other people have said... are games.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
He's wrong. That's about the end of it. Of course there are two sides to that. In the end, words are really what we define them to be. What I define as a sport could be different from what you do. Yes, there is the 'common meaning' of words. But the beautiful thing about language is that, in the end, it's fluid and changes from person to person.

Some people consider Poker a sport. They see it as a game of both skill and luck where you have to make choices based on your chances as well as keep excellent control of your automatic reflexes and muscle movements. Some don't because it's really just a few people sitting at the table with cards. Are either of these groups really 'wrong?' Yes, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

So, off-topic rant aside, the person is wrong.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
I Have No Idea said:
What are your thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
This argument is invalid.
I don't have legs so i can't participate in most disciplines considered "sport", therefore they are unplayable, and can't be considered "sport".

For most people drinking and bar brawls aren't ok but for me it's the funniest, most marvelous experience i can imagine. I even developed some rules for that activity to play it like a game, therefore it should be considered "sport".

There you go.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

hmmhmmm. Yeah well I don't agree with him.
Swimming = Sport
Skating = sport
Snowboarding = sport etc

So yeah, he sounds like a less intellectual human but we know those exist so let him be and ignore him.

maxmanrules

Mar 30, 2011
Tartarga said:
Well I guess by his logic board games are sports now, seeing as how you play them and what not.

This guy seems to have a very odd definition of what a sport is, sport is defined as an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature. I'm not going to call him stupid for this, he's just wrong. I would love to know how he got this idea in his head.
Some people say chess is a sport though. I generally hit them till they shut up, but still...

greatcheezer2021

Oct 18, 2011
sport, whether it is recreational or done "professionally" it will always be competitive in nature. Motor sports, winter sports, water sports, stadium, olympic, and hunting are considered sporting events. it comes down to the origin of "survival of the fittest". which is why people argue over what can be considered a sport or not.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I always thought a sport was something in which a ball was involved, but then I don't play any sports or think about it much so Im hardly the one to talk about this. I would revise my orginal thoughts and say bobsledding/swimming/etc are sports.

By his logic - videogames must be a sport, you can "play" them right?

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
So accordingly if I can 'play' with my pencil by twirling it round my fingers it's a sport. And that's just one of the milder ones. Play with my food, play with feelings/emotions, play with *insert activity here*.

Auron225 said:
By his logic - videogames must be a sport, you can "play" them right?
Son, I am proud.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I would hardly consider my participation in sports to be "playing", so therefore there are no sports. Hooray?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Oh god... tell me does he keep notes of when to inhale and exhale?
I just hope someone picked up a really heavy dictionary and smacked him in the face with it.

Sports are competition, and it's not a game if you can't play it... I feel dumber even having to say this.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
I Have No Idea said:
In my Calculus class, there's this guy who sits behind me who plays baseball and such. He's been kinda vocal about things like sports, and today the class watched a video about bobsledding and skeleton (looks that last one up if you have to). Now, even though I still have no idea how it tied into the lesson for that day, it was pretty interesting. But the aforementioned baseball player said "That's not a sport. It's not a sport if you can't play it." You can't "play" bobsled, he said. You can't "play" swimming, he said. I (and several others in the class who heard him) think that's a load of bull.

What are your thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

By the way, I'm not trying to demonize the guy, I just think he's pretty dang wrong on this one.
Um most sports are not games.

Your Jock of a class mate is mixing up his words. What he meant to say is "it is not a game if you cant play it"

Sports = Athletics

But Baseball, Football etc are games of an athletic nature, which is why it is also a sport.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
I Have No Idea said:
I"That's not a sport. It's not a sport if you can't play it." You can't "play" bobsled, he said. You can't "play" swimming, he said. I (and several others in the class who heard him) think that's a load of bull.
That is the single most stupid thing I've ever heard. EVER!

By this idiots logic, you could class hopscotch as a sport. you could class playing video games as a sport, you could class the gameshows as a sport.

Just laugh at him is all I can say really.