It's only sexist when Men do it?

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
I'm an egalitarian and believe that any kind of double standard is wrong.

Dame this having to watch a fucking commercial before posting bullshit.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
GideonB said:
Double standards
They suck

So yeah, sexism happens
But ya know, if your a good enough person you won't be a sexist dick, you'll just be a nice person
Words of wisdom, words of wisdom.
Kuroneko97 said:
If I'm correct, there may not be a law against hitting women, but in USA society you're given more leniency if you're a woman and you hit a man, regardless of the circumstances.
Really!?
That seems... well... shit.
KoalaKid said:

Egalitarian?
Haven't heard of that.
And yeah, it is really annoying having to go through these psoting adverts.
There even trying to make me describe brands!!!

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
I say we all chip in and buy him a hooker. And not the rude kind with the hidden scars who try to scam you and then rush you, but the really sweet kind, like Julia Roberts.

Apr 24, 2008
KaiusCormere said:
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
If you actually examine why double standards exist, you understand why.

Being white and male is hugely advantageous, in ways that a white male(like myself)is never likely to fully understand.
I don't really think it is though in 2011, in America. I've never had doors open for me because I'm white or male. I've had bosses and co-workers who were black, bosses and co-workers who were women. And as far as I know, they didn't have to have any sort of preferential treatment to get where they got. Anyone with a shred of decency or integrity isn't racist or sexist. I do get angry when I hear women say "All men are...", though. I don't go around insulting them!
America is vast and the territories are really pretty different, maybe things are decent where you're living, but there's definitely racism and sexism still apparent in modern times. The "it's so easy a woman can do it" adverts were commonlace as little as 50 years ago, and some states were finding ways to deny black people the vote until...64?

We have pretty radically switched to shunning people who are openly racist/sexist, but that doesn't mean it's gone, it just has to be more covert, more subtle.

It's not just federal and workplace politics that I'm thinking of, those things aren't terribly important to me in general. Just in my day to day life, it's pretty rare that anyone is condescending towards me, nobody is afraid of me on sight and complete strangers generally trust me automatically. I'm fairly certain that this isn't enjoyed by everyone.

Stilkon

Feb 19, 2011
Oh, this is Amazing Atheist? I like this guy!

Anyway, I know there was a couple of threads about this story on The Talk here on the Escapist, and most everyone agreed that it's just sick.

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
Sizzle Montyjing said:
GideonB said:
Double standards
They suck

So yeah, sexism happens
But ya know, if your a good enough person you won't be a sexist dick, you'll just be a nice person
Words of wisdom, words of wisdom.
Kuroneko97 said:
If I'm correct, there may not be a law against hitting women, but in USA society you're given more leniency if you're a woman and you hit a man, regardless of the circumstances.
Really!?
That seems... well... shit.
KoalaKid said:

Egalitarian?
Haven't heard of that.
And yeah, it is really annoying having to go through these psoting adverts.
There even trying to make me describe brands!!!
An egalitarian is just a person that believes in equality for everyone no matter what their sex, race, religion, ethnicity, political affiliation, social status, economic status, or cultural heritage may be.

Sizzle Montyjing

Apr 5, 2011
KoalaKid said:
Very interesting, but does that mean it applies to the nazis?
Just wondering.
And nice to see this thread is still going.
Gonna keep on pushing this!

Pappeska

Oct 17, 2010
There's a LOT of double standards going around.

A guy at dad's work place (fishing boat, male dominated arena), got charged with harrasment, because the one woman on the boat (who was there to inspect that everything was going on according to regulations) did not like that he didn't greet her. When she came aboard, he didn't have time to say hello "properly". He was working, she came in, he said hi. And that was it. She meant that this greeting proved that he didn't want her there and that it was a hostile environment.

What she would have wanted him to do was, appearantly, stop working, turn around, shake her hand, have a long chat, follow her around while someone else was already giving her the tour of the boat (and it's not that big to begin with!).

He didn't have time for that, they were going to spend a lot of time together on a little boat anyway, why not talk when they both had the opportunity? I can't say I've met a man in that business getting all worked up about not getting a handshake...

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
Sizzle Montyjing said:
KoalaKid said:
Very interesting, but does that mean it applies to the nazis?
Just wondering.
And nice to see this thread is still going.
Gonna keep on pushing this!

Good question. Yes is does apply to Nazis. For example, If a egalitarian judge was sentencing members of the Nazi party for war crimes he would treat them no better or worse than any other group that had committed similar crimes. So you see that believing in equality and treating people fairly does not equate to agreeing with their ideology or even liking them.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I dont belive the "ohhh us white men are opressed!" crap

HOWEVER I think it is rather disturbing they laughed at some poor guy getting horribly mutilated like that, especially when theres no evidence to sugest he "deserved" it, perhaps from their perspective they assumed he did somthing horrible enough to "deserve" it....but its still disturbing eather way and I certainly would not be laughing

Psycho-Toaster said:
I tend to just sigh and move on when it comes to "Men's Rights Activists" because the majority of the time it's just thinly veiled misogyny, but this guy's got some good points. There's a way to go, for both men and women before we have equality.
unfortunatley people on both sides tend to take up the defensive (rather agressivly), to the detriment of both causes

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
Any thing I felt like saying in this thread has already been covered by others.

But I gotta say, this thread got me into The Amazing Athiest. Holy shit he's gold! I've watched some of his other videos and just subscribed, which I rarely do.

Sizzle Montyjing

Apr 5, 2011
Glad this thread is doing so well. :p
Nasrin said:
In response to the guy in the video...
That is awsome!!!
Well thank you escapists.
PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE!
:p

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
MzRie said:
Yeah, I know. I totally agree. White males have become the most oppressed group. I mean, sure, we ...are rewarded by tax policies that favor our greater ability to invest over people who only survive off of their total income, get lighter prison sentences, are less likely to be investigated and arrested by police, lower average interest on mortgage, don't suffer de facto educational segregation, hold over 70% of the positions in Congress
Not that you don't have a point with the ones I left out, but I felt a need to address a few of these.

A majority of investment bankers who benefit from those tax policies are white males yes, however a vast majority of white males are not in that position and do not benefit from it, it's incredibly dumb to say "well, most of those really rich guys are white males, therefore it's justified to act against dirt poor white males!"

The prison issue rubs multiple ways, if you're talking about whites versus minorities, you're generally right than the white guy is going to be better off, but if you're talking about men versus women, well, juries are notably more likely to rule in favor of a woman than a man, and when they do convict a woman, they tend to get lighter sentences than a man committing a similar crime. Also, in civil disputes between a man and a woman, the odds are overwhelmingly in favor of the woman.

I don't know shit about mortgages, but I wanted to note on a similar issue, when I became the primary driver of one of my family's cars once my older sister moved out, the rate on the insurance went up for no other reason than a teenage male being the driver instead of a female, this despite the fact that my sister had totaled a previous car.

You mention educational segregation, I'll point to the many colleges and universities that are required to place a certain number of minorities above white men in their acceptances, not to mention the myriad scholarships available on the sole basis of what gender or skin color you are, unless you're a white male in which case such a scholarship would be considered an outrage.

As for congress, I'll point to what I said about the investment bankers, and even though a lot of these politicians use racially charged language to get votes, I've never heard of any law being passed in recent years that specifically benefits poor and/or middle class white folk, whites being in positions of power doesn't mean that all whites benefit from it.

I also want to say that when I see the "well, women were oppressed for hundreds and hundreds of years," my immediate thought is "Gee, you know, I wish I had been living hundreds of years ago then, so I could benefit from that fact instead of being condemned because of the people in the past."

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
Like my arguments with Racism and discrimination, I have long come to believe we are held to a very dangerous double standard. We are so busy trying to defend the rights of the once repressed we are beginning to repress the once repressie.

THIS IS NOT OK AND NEVER WILL BE! Flipping our previous state on its head is NOT equality! It is just as discriminatory as it used to be and in the same way just with different victims. Ive had plenty of uncomfortable moments where 1 lass in a group of like 6 has grabbed my ass in the middle of the street making me uncomfortable, I dont bellow out sexism, sometimes, shit just happens. I didn't ask for there attention, that does not mean I should read their act as trying to belittle me.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
theevilgenius60 said:
This I could get behind. A group dedicated to the protection of all people's rights? Count me in as a charter member
So....we all have the right to kneel? We are all equal in the eyes of Zod?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

OT: SEXISM R BAD. At all times, in all forms, from any side. That's pretty much the whole discussion as far as I'm concerned.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Look... There are going to be times when someone who considers themselves a feminist and someone who does not bump heads.

To the Feminists: Just because he/she disagrees with you on this one issue doesn't make him/her a misogynist/gender traitor. Taking up a morally superior attitude or getting aggressive will only push them further away. It makes you look bad and breeds needless resentment based on gender or ideology.

To the Contrarians: I know some feminists can seem hypocritical or pushy a lot. That doesn't mean they're necessarily like that, or that feminism is less valuable as an idea. It just means people are freaking hypocrites.

The fact is, when we're all happy and agreeing on everything is when the human population is reduced to one guy with a particularly agreeable case of multiple-personality disorder.

Just... throwing that out there.

More on topic, The Amazing Atheist kicks ass. I love his unerringly pro-liberty stance, his openly feckless demeanor and his willingness to make an ass of himself for the entertainment of himself and others. This video I agree with as much as most others.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Sizzle Montyjing said:
I get what he's saying but he comes across as very angry/agressive and confrontational...it makes uncomfortable and even if I were to agree like he doesnt "want" me to agree because "I'm the enemy"

just me though

EDIT: DAMMIT WHO NECRO'D THE THREAD!?