It's Over; the Robots Have Learned to Build

i am not god

Dec 6, 2007
Oh lord, why do people keep giving the robots these kind of advancements? Surely people as smart as them should see the inevitability of them rising up to overthrow us.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
All joking aside, I fail to see anything wrong with this at all. I think it's kind of stupid that every time we see an advancement in robotics, people immediatly jump on leftist technophobic fiction about how the machines will try and replace, imprison, or kill us.

On a more practical level, my issue with this technology is more along the lines of society not being ready for it. Right now we're already dealing with the issue of a society so advanced that we have no need of the workforce we have, one of the big issues causing economic problems today. With the right equipment you have one guy doing a job that might have taken ten or twenty guys. This is one of the major contributing factors to things like layoffs, which of course leads to unemployment and a lot of our economic woes. This is not the only issue here, but it's a big one.

This kind of a technology hitting the market is liable to see it replacing human labour on a massive scale. It would be fine if we were in the midst of massive inter-steller expansion or whatever with humanity spread out all over the place, but right now it's a recipe for self destruction with workers being knocked out of work, destroying the markets, and then leading to the demise of the businesses themselves with nobody to buy products. I'm not going to go off on an economic rant, since there are various theories (both agreeing and disagreeing with me) and on these forums I figure most will have read plenty of dark future fiction to get the idea.

I don't much like big goverment regulation of well... most things, but I think this is technology that should be kept entirely in the hands of specific goverment agencies like the Space Program, and made illegal for civilian and private market use. I also tend to think that it's one of those cases where certain nations are liable to decide not to ban it to get a leg up on more powerful nations that do. This might very well result in a global war because honestly I think it's one of those jingoistic situations where wearing a "world police" hat is probably for the best. Besides a global war is actually a good thing since getting rid of about 80% of the global population and then surpressing a baby boom would benefit everyone that survives (like it or not). I figure it's inevitably going to happen over tech or intellectual properties/patents/copyrights anyway, and if things snowball here it's as good a place to throw down as any.

Of course I'm thinking well ahead of the situation here, we'll see what happens. Good tech, but ironically one where the benefits are liable to do more damage than anything.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
teh_Canape said:
dem spirals *bites underlip*
Yeah i can see why you would go for railguns, but the thing is they can use them too.

Time to bore you with some details!

Railguns are a product of abuse of the law of electromagnetic induction. In short you stick a magnet inside an electromagnet coil and turn it on, the normal magnet will move. Pump this up to insane power levels and you have a weapon that can break the sound barrier on the 'low' setting.

The US Navy are apparently testing a real railgun, last time i heard they shot a flat steel slug probably the size of the average human head into a crate full of kevlar sheets. It reportedly went straight through the wall behind the crate.

Robots would have access to adequate materials for constructing railguns, as its basically the same as what they need to biuld themselves. The last thing we need is for them to have guns that can treat a naval destroyer as if it were made of wood.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
This is gonna fuck up anyone with a bee phobia, I tell you that much.

Also, let me be the first to suggest that we call construction sites 'hives' from now on.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Okay, just a quick note here:
what the op is saying is NOT hyperbole.

In my experience, a good third of everbody in the technical sciences is actively working on making a robot apocalypse happen within our lifetime.
The good news, at least another third is actively working on building stuff so we can fight back.

And I for one applaud those brave, insane men and women, who are working long, hard hours, solving very difficult problems, just so we can one day fight of hordes of attacking robots in nuclear-powered mechs.
God bless those heroes.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
It's kinda like watching a real life RTS, with all the little drones gathering resources and contructing buildings.

I approve.

pretentiousname01

Sep 30, 2009
Rex Dark said:
Why would robots want to enslave humans?
Anything a humans can do, robots can do better.
it will inevitably be our own fault. We shall install the 3 laws of robotics. Eventually it will result in robots deducing the only way to truely protect humans is to put them in nice little cubicles. For our "safety"

beniki

May 28, 2009
Awesome. We shall soon have our own Geth, and we'll get to build giant migrant fleets, and leave this little dust ball forever!

Unless... oh God no... what if the machines build their own fleets and leave us here, imprisoned on our noob area planet?!

Nooooooooooo!

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I'm almost sure they didn't mean to make them sound like Manhacks.

Hold on a second...yes, okay, the Metrocop has informed me this was a coincidence. And he would like to remind you to get back to work, I'm sorry was that meatbags or...oh, okay, yes. Get back to work, human filth.

AK47Marine

Aug 29, 2009
the GRASP lab and others like them will be first against the wall when the revolution comes

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Could somebody start work on constructing a large series of sonic screwdrivers? We'll need about 4.5 billion of them.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
Jesus, they're just like manhacks... Board the windows, and ready the shotguns men, we prepare for the end of human rule...

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Manhacks + lego = something awe-inspiring, yet at the same time causing serious nightmares that will likely be similar to the sewer sections of HL2.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
pretentiousname01 said:
Rex Dark said:
Why would robots want to enslave humans?
Anything a humans can do, robots can do better.
it will inevitably be our own fault. We shall install the 3 laws of robotics. Eventually it will result in robots deducing the only way to truely protect humans is to put them in nice little cubicles. For our "safety"
Well, I don't mind that, as long as they give me enough food, drinks, a bed, a desk, a PC with a fast and uncensored internet connection and lots of games.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
gigastar said:
words and shit
k, in that case, I'll just use tazer guns

I mean, you know, shooting them and then overcharging their batteries until they fry.... makes sense, right?

or a stun baton

I mean, in Maken X you use a stun baton to take out a plane full of ninjas, it should work with robots too, right?

or, 3rd option

I'll use a Sega Master System Light Phaser

"the Master System Light Phaser, it shoots imagination".- Mark, Classic Game Room HD

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I want a sentient version of that thing as a sidekick/best friend. Really, where is my Sidekick/best friend?!! Make Sentient Robots already!

OT: Meh, nothing fancy. It can build cubes out of magnetic rails, wow. Call me when it can make a scale model replica of Stonehenge or Notre Damme, then call me back.