Its times like this I am glad I was not an 80s kid.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Because I don't get to suffer all these mediocre 80s movie remakes like Ghostbusters.

This is the Ghostbuster I grew up with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WFoUchg6sw

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
AccursedTheory said:
Jokes on you. You got about 15-20 years, then it's your turn.
Jokes on you! With Donald Trump(an 80s relic I might point out) as president, the world won't last another 20 years!

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Silentpony said:
AccursedTheory said:
Jokes on you! With Donald Trump(as 80s relic I might point out) as president, the world won't last another 20 years!
Well played, sir, well played.

I wish my generation had considered flipping the board game of Life and tossing all the pieces on the floor to avoid the re-sequeling of our childhood. It's God damn brilliant.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Watch there be like a reboot in the form of some really crappy live-action film in ten years. That will make me with weep in anguish.

But yes, that show was wonderful.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
AccursedTheory said:
Jokes on you! With Donald Trump(an 80s relic I might point out) as president, the world won't last another 20 years!
OK this is something I wanna discuss in the political forums because....what is with the Donald Trump hate?

Other than the whole Birth Certificate fiasco?

Anyway well so far the only thing that will be a betrayal of my childhood is the upcoming Powerpuff Girls reboot. Its clearly being remade just to be an advertisment for Toys and Merch to rival My Little Pony Friendship is Magic.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
AccursedTheory said:
OK this is something I wanna discuss in the political forums because....what is with the Donald Trump hate?
There's a number of threads in R&P about this. Suffice to say, many people think he's dangerously racist and xenophobic and would be a terrible choice of PotUS, in large part because he keeps spouting racism and xenophobia and little else.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
AccursedTheory said:
I was about to say that. Cycles of generations never failed us so far...

At least I have a decade to prepare my anus.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
To the first part, is mainly because he's just a dick and as one of the few candidates actually running a small-d democratic race, where its not all establishment insider politics, he's showing America that we're all basically dicks too.

And to the second, nothing, literally nothing will ever top Friendship is Magic.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Maybe I'm in the Minority here but I never saw any reason to care.

If the reboot/remake of something you loved in the past sucks, you don't have to watch it and it does not ruin the old stuff.

I know, I know, this might come as shocking news considering how people seem to react but it's true. Phantom Menace did not magically make Star Wars IV-VI suck. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) did not magically make the old movies/TV show you loved suck. If the new Ghostbuster film sucks, it will not magically make the old one disappear from existence; you can still watch it and it did not magically lose all of its quality because a reboot came out that sucks.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Baffle said:
If that's the sort of shitty cartoon you had to put up with in the '90s, I'm glad to be an '80s kid. Thundercats hooooooo!
Danny Phantom technically was from the 2000s.

As for 80s stuff will 1980s He Man sucked, This is the He Man I grew up with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67215zbSNQ4

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Maybe I'm in the Minority here but I never saw any reason to care.

If the reboot/remake of something you loved in the past sucks, you don't have to watch it and it does not ruin the old stuff.

I know, I know, this might come as shocking news considering how people seem to react but it's true. Phantom Menace did not magically make Star Wars IV-VI suck. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) did not magically make the old movies/TV show you loved suck. If the new Ghostbuster film sucks, it will not magically make the old one disappear from existence; you can still watch it and it did not magically lose all of its quality because a reboot came out that sucks.
Hear hear!

I usually think of the people who freak out about this sort of stuff to be the worst kind of nerd, someone who has so completely invested himself into his childhood experiences that he treats them as something almost religious in nature that no one may touch. "How dare you defile Transformers?!" they scream while ignoring the fact that the existence of a new movie will not affect the old cartoon in any way. It can even make the reasonable fans of a given series look like assholes by affiliation.

But these people tend to be loud and therefore get more attention than they deserve. In a way, I almost envy people who have no bigger worries than whether some new movie will be shit.

CeeBod

Sep 4, 2012
Slice said:
Baffle said:
If that's the sort of shitty cartoon you had to put up with in the '90s, I'm glad to be an '80s kid. Thundercats hooooooo!
Don't re-watch that, trust me. It will be all, "Thundercats, oh god noooo." I loooooved the Thundercats, and trying to re-watch was a big honking mistake.
There are some 80s cartoons that can actually be enhanced by watching them again many years later - the Moomins for example (Although mind altering drugs are probably needed to fully appreciate it, as is the case with many 80s cartoons!)

I was never fan of Thundercats (blasphemy I know!), I liked Dangermouse and Chorlton and the Wheelies, with honourable mention to Battle of the Planets for making anime cool before any of us had ever heard of anime! (and it is gloriously silly with the OTT dubbing!)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The amount we suffer for it now just stands as a testament to how good that shit was back then. I'd gladly do it all over again.

(FYI. I am being whimsical here and not seriously claiming everything that came from the 80's is "holy property".)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
https://twitter.com/everysimpsons/status/504625643506528256

Wish I could find the clip, but frankly, I think that line says it all (in an ironic, self-aware, hyperbolic manner).