Its times like this I am glad I was not an 80s kid.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
PaulH said:
The only thing I can remember of the 80s was a handful of cartoons, and the Berlin Wall coming down. I didn't get why people were so happy. It's like: "It looks like a well built wall for the most part... why tear it down? Seems like senseless vandalism."

People dancing all over it, pictures of people attacking parts of it with sledgehammers and stealing chunks of it.
Well...actually, you reckon that's what they are doing to 80's franchises?

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Einspanner said:
pookie101 said:
Einspanner said:
pookie101 said:
Einspanner said:
pookie101 said:
as others have pointed out it doesnt change whether the originals are good, and frankly apart from a catchy theme song that was everywhere for months it was a decent comedy but nothing amazing, good special effects for the time to
It was also not part of a field of dozens of other sfx driven movies. People forget now, that movies like Ghostbusters, Back To The Future, Star Wars, and others like that were islands of Sci Fi in a vast ocean. Those movies weren't released very often until after Terminator 2 sort of blew the lid off CGI as a main feature and audience draw. It used to be that in addition to people who loved the comedy, and the SNL alumnus involvement, a lot of younger people (like me) loved the sfx so much. It was the coolest thing we'd ever seen, along with a lightsaber, an a time traveling DeLorian. We didn't have much else though.

People just forget, when they look back, all of the circumstances that made the experience what it was, including the age they were and what their life was like. Most people don't dwell on that, but online, and in the world of movies and games people wallow in nostalgia like pigs in mud.
very well put. i used to remember going to the video shop and picking up 5 or 6 movies every few days and they were almost always crap or very dodgy to say the least
Remember renting Zardoz and Legend of The Overfiend, and just learning so much about the world because of those weird and dodgy selections?

Pepperidge Farms remembers...
hahah zardoz forgot about the connery mankini.. i was more of a sci-fi/horror fan and i miss the days of horror comedies.

ahh return of the living dead, killer klowns from outer space and the ultimate film.. buckaroo banzai across the 8th dimension
Why did Horror-Comedy go away? Isn't Army of Darkness still a huge hit that keeps Bruce Campbell a household name? I feel like the atmosphere from games to movies is "Gritty" and way too involved in taking itself seriously to laugh at itself, unless it thinks people will give them points for being cool as a result.
exactly right and cabin in the woods was a smash hit, but it still seems like a genre they are avoiding

ive noticed alot of people seem actually annoyed when you mix genres of film. like they arent pure enough, etc silly muppets

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
pookie101 said:
ive noticed alot of people seem actually annoyed when you mix genres of film. like they arent pure enough, etc silly muppets
Eh, there can be a problem when a movie tries doing two different things at once and so fails at both, but that's a problem with the execution, rather than the idea.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
Let's see:

- People discussing the topic at hand. Check.

- Obligatory Donald Trump side conversation. Check.

- People showing up just to look down their noses at others. Check.

Business as usual on the 'scapist.
Please keep it on topic, and avoid poking the stick at other members for no good reason. You've had plenty enough warnings. Thank you. :)

Julius Terrell said:
I just watch the original shows. After I saw the 1st transformers movie, I vowed NEVER to watch another remake. It's like hollywood is going out of its way to give us 80s kids the middle finger. Also, I wish traditional animation would come back. I'm sick of this CGI bullshit! CGI isn't all bad, but since I primarily watch japanese anime, I don't have to deal with this problem for the most part.
The cinema industry in general just seems to be pretty keen on making safe bets on established franchises, or re-booting properties that are known to be successful, but this honestly isn't a new thing.

I think in times of economic downturn, however, especially with online media and things of that nature taking marketshare away from the box office, you have to have a solid business case these days to get your movie green-lit, and an established franchise does this.

It sucks how many good things get ruined though, with the odd notable exception.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Well...actually, you reckon that's what they are doing to 80's franchises?
And just like the rest of the 80s, it should be as dead as the Wall and as quickly forgotten. Except for the Bowie.

Einspanner

Mar 6, 2016
pookie101 said:
Einspanner said:
pookie101 said:
Einspanner said:
pookie101 said:
Einspanner said:
pookie101 said:
as others have pointed out it doesnt change whether the originals are good, and frankly apart from a catchy theme song that was everywhere for months it was a decent comedy but nothing amazing, good special effects for the time to
It was also not part of a field of dozens of other sfx driven movies. People forget now, that movies like Ghostbusters, Back To The Future, Star Wars, and others like that were islands of Sci Fi in a vast ocean. Those movies weren't released very often until after Terminator 2 sort of blew the lid off CGI as a main feature and audience draw. It used to be that in addition to people who loved the comedy, and the SNL alumnus involvement, a lot of younger people (like me) loved the sfx so much. It was the coolest thing we'd ever seen, along with a lightsaber, an a time traveling DeLorian. We didn't have much else though.

People just forget, when they look back, all of the circumstances that made the experience what it was, including the age they were and what their life was like. Most people don't dwell on that, but online, and in the world of movies and games people wallow in nostalgia like pigs in mud.
very well put. i used to remember going to the video shop and picking up 5 or 6 movies every few days and they were almost always crap or very dodgy to say the least
Remember renting Zardoz and Legend of The Overfiend, and just learning so much about the world because of those weird and dodgy selections?

Pepperidge Farms remembers...
hahah zardoz forgot about the connery mankini.. i was more of a sci-fi/horror fan and i miss the days of horror comedies.

ahh return of the living dead, killer klowns from outer space and the ultimate film.. buckaroo banzai across the 8th dimension
Why did Horror-Comedy go away? Isn't Army of Darkness still a huge hit that keeps Bruce Campbell a household name? I feel like the atmosphere from games to movies is "Gritty" and way too involved in taking itself seriously to laugh at itself, unless it thinks people will give them points for being cool as a result.
exactly right and cabin in the woods was a smash hit, but it still seems like a genre they are avoiding

I think you're right. I had a friend who HATED 'World's End' because of the way it shifted gears. The same thing had me covered in goosebumps and practically cheering. In fact, the entire Cornetto Trilogy shows that it can all still be done today, and done very very well.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Pirate Of PC Master race said:
AccursedTheory said:
Jokes on you. You got about 15-20 years, then it's your turn.
I was about to say that. Cycles of generations never failed us so far...

At least I have a decade to prepare my anus.
We're going to have Micheal Bey Transformers nostalgia.