IW ruin MW2 online gameplay before it even releases. Updated.

Ishnuvalok

Jul 14, 2008
Apocalypse Tank said:
Ishnuvalok said:
Apocalypse Tank said:
My argument is that the mp looks simply amazing. Who cares about the details when ITS FUN?
This is a console gamer. It is full of failure to understand how the modding, dedicated server and competitive gaming communities function and how this affects them.
So these things you've mentioned are necessary for every game ever written?
I've played an insane amount of RTS, Counter Strike, Team Fortress, and many others on the PC. I see no inferiority in a console gamer, and the game itself apparently dosen't matter to a pc gamer.
Who are you to say console gamers are failures?
I said you're a console gamer that's full of fail and AIDS, not that all are.

Because apparently you think that things that are very important to many of us within the PC gaming community, aren't important at all. Well maybe not important to you, but to many of us it is. Now think in CS. You play on dedicated servers, in MW2, there won't be any dedicated servers with customized rules such as, lets say; no perks, radar, UAV, airstrikes or helis like competitive gaming servers. Lets say there's a dedicated server in CS that runs a cool mod you like, maybe a server with custom maps. With MW2, this won't be possible. It'll only be what IW demands us to play.

Think if you could only play CS on servers Valve have set up, no modifications, no custom maps, only normal CS. Sure vanilla CS is fun, but what about all those user-created mods and custom maps? One of the reasons why people still play CS, Battlefield 1942 and countless other games is because of the modifications, and the dedicated servers. Lets say Modern Warfare 3 comes out, IW drops tons, maybe even all of it's MW2 "IW net" servers in favor of MW3, forcing people who want to play MW2 on private hosts, but a privately hosted games, can become huge lag-fests. Not only do dedicated servers and modifications ensure a game has a much longer lifespan, it brings variety to the game, and allows this huge group of people to make things the developers never dreamed about.

Look at Fallout 3 or TES:4 Oblivion for PC, they both have thousands of mods, many of them making the game a much richer experience, and some are extremely amusing as well. Sure the games are good on their own, but they can be so much more fun and enjoyable.

bajada09

Oct 18, 2009
Caliostro said:
Chipperz said:
It's the same game! PS3 owners, 360 owners and PC owners ALL GOT THE SAME GAME LAST TIME! All that's happening now is that they're making sure it's exactly the same game. Please, get off your high horse.
Really?

Could you kindly point out to me where in the 360 or PS3 version I can start making or downloading mods? Or where can I change my settings for better visuals than the consoles can have (like higher resolution for instances), higher frame rates than consoles, or both? Could you show me where exactly, in the console versions, can I open the developer console and customize my server with cvars that fit my gaming preferences, like removing specific skills, weapons, changing number of players allowed and other settings besides the normal preset limitations, etc...?

...You can't? Well, I guess we didn't get the same version at all then. Go figure!
wow i can honestly say, people like you are why I hate people as a whole. Your whining over what, the ability to manipulate your gaming experience so it better suits what you wish. Than you go about making such a scene acting as if someone had infringed upon your rights to even play the game, and i know someone like you is going to retort with a "witty" remark such as well they basically did because I can't play the way i would like. Yet lo and behold the millions of people who get by without this ability because they simply enjoy the game, even with its faults, and once more i know someone will comment "well your probaby a consle gamer so you wouldn't know what a big deal it is," well fortunately I'm not a narrow minded retard who has realises that the mere ability to play a game he enjoys with others to enhance his experience is a privilage that not everyone gets to enjoy. So while your ranting and raving at this horrid move by IW I'll probably be reading and laughing at what a miserable person you have to be to have you head shoved so far up your own ass you can't comprehend theres alot worse things than changing how you get to experience a game. Hope something horrible happens to you like you lose the use of both hands because your so busy jerking off you don't notice the masked man creeping up on you who stabs you in a nerve cluster which leaves you paralized from the neck down.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
*laughs* All I see is some whinning. It's there game and they can do what they please to it. If you don't like it don't buy it. The drastic shot to sales will make them remember this mistake for next time

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Pingieking said:
Skizle said:
Caliostro said:
Skizle said:
is the single player the same: yes.
does the multiplayer contain the same maps and weapons: yes
can you get owned: yes
can you own newbs: yes

conclusion: it is the same game, but the PC version has different options for gameplay to suet the player. Also you don't need mods to play a game. you can still enjoy the game without them
By that logic a Fiat and a Ferrari are the same!

Do they both have wheels and an engine? Yes.
Do they serve to carry you from place A to place B? Yes.
Can you have a fatal accident in either? Yes.
Can you go fast in either? Yes.

Thus we conclude they're both just as good! They do have some MINOR differences, but who cares that the Ferrari drives like a dream, is safer, goes a lot faster and just generally looks and feels insanely better? That's besides the point right?
your compairing 2 completely different car companies to 2 different graphical versions of the same game. as well as relatively the same multiplayer experience. explain exactly how your analogy makes sence. Ferrari is a companies that makes cars for fast driving and great handling. not only that, but Ferrari provides their cars with top of the line parts that are finely tuned for these specific reasons. Fiats, when compared to this situation, are tuner cars. you have to TUNE your car to get the best results and more importantly the results you want.
I like how Skizle just proved Caliostro's point for him without realizing it. Ohh, the delicious irony.

But yeah, this marks one less sale for MW2. I imagine that Activision will probably ***** about the lack of sales on the PC version and make MW3 console only, not realizing that they were the ones to chased their own customers away. By taking out private servers, they basically broke 80% of the online parts of this game.
My standards for PC FPS are very high, and nothing short of absolute excellence will make the cut. MW was great; MW Mods on the other hand, are absolutely excellent. No more Mods? No reason for me to even play this thing.
Though I'm not personally too involved in competitive gaming, I have to wonder if the people in charge of making these policy decisions at IW/Activision actually know what they're doing. What a nice way to cancel a few thousand pre-orders for yourself.

Angus Young said:
HAHA glad im a consol Gamer
You either have no idea what's going on, or you're just one cynical person. I hope it's the latter because I love cynical people. But this is kind of like a person with 3 limbs laughing at a recent amputee.
upon retrospect, yes i did in a way, but the only real thing i proved is that i can come up with an elaborate analogy. sill i stand by my point that both the console and the PC versions are the same game. the PC just has more options to customize the playing experience, playing experience, and interface. there are still the same game modes, maps, guns, and sadly arrogant players that both games provide.

Ishnuvalok

Jul 14, 2008
Kuchinawa212 said:
*laughs* All I see is some whinning. It's there game and they can do what they please to it. If you don't like it don't buy it. The drastic shot to sales will make them remember this mistake for next time
Oh I'm going to do something far worse. I'm going to pirate it. That's the biggest "Fuck You" you can give to a game developer.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Ishnuvalok said:
Kuchinawa212 said:
Oh I'm going to do something far worse. I'm going to pirate it. That's the biggest "Fuck You" you can give to a game developer.
But...that's just EVIL!!! (dun dun dun *thunder in backround*)

Sven und EIN HUND

Sep 23, 2009
well, this matchmaking thing sounds like the same thing as L4D (PC) employs, you search for a game using an amount of criteria (game mode, difficulty(if campaign)preferred map)... The thing is, L4D uses dedicated servers, the great thing about PC gaming... MW2 will not? So it really...ahh screw it, fuck you I.W, you really screwed us over.

And another thing, DLC with a price tag, come on, like wtf is that?!?!?!!!?!??!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!?!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!!!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?!?!!??!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!1

Ishnuvalok

Jul 14, 2008
Kuchinawa212 said:
Ishnuvalok said:
Kuchinawa212 said:
But...that's just EVIL!!! (dun dun dun *thunder in backround*)
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA! >:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7edeOEuXdMU

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Matchmaking system used to play with similarly ranked players
No, no no no no no.

Matchmaking is awful. If I want to play a certain map, I want to be able to select it, not hope an algorithm chooses it for me. If I want to play on a server with good ping, I should be able to choose the server, and not hope that the computer doesn't find me a nice server in Japan. If people want to play with custom rules, they should be able to.

This has definetely made me reconsider whether or not I will get MW2.

Scarecrow21

Apr 1, 2009
Jim Grim said:
Surely you should be more concerned with the gameplay? This sounds like a pretty minor interference.
No mods means no competeitive ladder for online play. (you can't have succesful ladders with every single perk and noob weapon)
Which means the end of the online COD gaming community!
Removing dedicated servers also means that many hosting companies, who's whole job is to host servers, will now be out of business.

Wyes

Aug 1, 2009
Scarecrow21 said:
Jim Grim said:
Surely you should be more concerned with the gameplay? This sounds like a pretty minor interference.
No mods means no competeitive ladder for online play. (you can't have succesful ladders with every single perk and noob weapon)
Removing dedicated servers also means that many hosting companies, who's whole job is to host servers, will now be out of business.
I think you're being a little melodramatic.

I'm sure there will be some workaround for creating successful ladders; they may not be as good as MW1 ladders, but I'm sure they will exist.

Yes, server hosting companies are no doubt hating on IW/Activision right now because they'll lose out on a fair bit of cash, but I doubt they'll go bankrupt, not with the thousands of other games out there that they're still hosting for.

Having no dedicated servers, no mods and a matchmaking system will hurt the online community, yes, but it will not be the end of the world. So long as IW/Activision provides adequate servers, I don't foresee any particular problems.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
xwhitey said:
Man sounds bad for the pc players but us xbox ones will be ok. Any way no matter what way the game is IW will do good for us they know this is the biggest game to come out this year and if it goes wrong it could be the end of call of duty after the last game call of duty WAW was bad the only thing I think that made that game playable was the zombies mode.
I don't see why people claim WaW was bad, its was the exact same game, just different time periods

Ishnuvalok

Jul 14, 2008
Just found a petition against this on IW forums, http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/petition-sign.cgi?dedis4mw

Sign it if you wish.

Baggie

Sep 3, 2009
Huh. Suddenly I don't want to buy this game anymore. I mean some of the changes, fair enough, but TAKING OUT DEDICATED SERVERS. I'm also expecting they won't run any decent servers in Australia. What a dick move on their part.

CmdrGoob

Oct 5, 2008
This is a dick move pure and simple. Dedicated servers have been an important part of PC multiplayer since Quake fucking 1, and that's because they work well.

Screw MW2, it's a cookie cutter sequel with gimped multiplayer and a jacked up price. Woohoo, let's all pay more for less. I won't be buying it.

Scarecrow21

Apr 1, 2009
Wyes said:
Scarecrow21 said:
Jim Grim said:
I think you're being a little melodramatic.

I'm sure there will be some workaround for creating successful ladders; they may not be as good as MW1 ladders, but I'm sure they will exist.

Yes, server hosting companies are no doubt hating on IW/Activision right now because they'll lose out on a fair bit of cash, but I doubt they'll go bankrupt, not with the thousands of other games out there that they're still hosting for.

Having no dedicated servers, no mods and a matchmaking system will hurt the online community, yes, but it will not be the end of the world. So long as IW/Activision provides adequate servers, I don't foresee any particular problems.
Yes, i guess i'm a little worked up about the thing, and no i don't suppose all server hosting companies will go out of business, but i'm not kidding when i say competitive cod will die!
There can be no work arounds if there are no mods aloud, sure we could try to compete in full pub mode but the amount of noob weapons and perks that people could use would just ruin it and there would be no way to catch hackers as there is going to be no /record either (from what i've heard). The only reason cod4 was competitive was because of PAM and Promod, both of which we can't have if this no mods thing pans out.

Acterveld

Oct 10, 2009
Caliostro said:
Flos said:
I'm not that bright when it comes to this stuff, but it basically sounds like it will be working like how the 360 version does, ya?
ryai458 said:
now you now how we feel (xbox360 user) oh wait we dont care...
Chipperz said:
...I can't see anything there which console gamers have struggled to cope wi... No, wait, we've had it fine all this time. You'll live.
Acterveld said:
It doesn't ruin it, it stops Xbox gamers moaning about PC advantages. Like I do ;)
Shapsters said:
Haha, thats what I was thinking. OH NO! Its exactly the same as all the other online FPS... wait a tic!
I know you people who never were able to afford, or "knowledgeable" enough to maintain, a gaming PC have no idea what we mean when we say this is actually terrible, but you guys have been getting the second rate stuff all along.

See, I'm going to play TF2 in a little while, and when I do so I'm going to log on and look between one of my favorite servers, with settings I like (or closest available), and play with the people I want. These were servers I've visited before, enjoyed the experience, and choose to stay on. Tomorrow, a server of a mapping community I'm part of will be running a "gameday" event, where we get to test and give feedback to maps still under construction. We upload and update these maps whenever, and play them whenever. If you act like a complete dickhole in those servers, you will be banned, because we think you're an idiot. Likewise, you'll think we're idiots and you'll go to a server you like (full of people we'll most likely consider idiots and that, which, most likely, will be reciprocal) and enjoy playing with them, and most likely ban people like us thinking we're idiots.

It's a perfect system. Everyone's happy. Everyone gets their own place, and if they don't, they can make it!

This is actually one of the reasons I play L4D a lot less than TF2.

What IW is doing here really is just dumbing it down, not as a side option, but attempting to grab us by the balls, trying to retain full control over the product they sold us.

If you want an analogy, imagine I buy a plot of land. I get a permit to build a house. Then as I go to build a house there, the guys that sold me the land go "Nono. You can't build a house there!" "But it's my land, and I got a permit..." "Well, that means we can build our house there and let you live in it!".

Sounds bad doesn't it?
Erm, Im running 8 gb RAM, 2gb Graphics and Quadcore, I DO Play PC games. I was making a point that the reason they do it is for equal rights.

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
Acterveld said:
Caliostro said:
Flos said:
I'm not that bright when it comes to this stuff, but it basically sounds like it will be working like how the 360 version does, ya?
ryai458 said:
now you now how we feel (xbox360 user) oh wait we dont care...
Chipperz said:
...I can't see anything there which console gamers have struggled to cope wi... No, wait, we've had it fine all this time. You'll live.
Acterveld said:
It doesn't ruin it, it stops Xbox gamers moaning about PC advantages. Like I do ;)
Shapsters said:
Haha, thats what I was thinking. OH NO! Its exactly the same as all the other online FPS... wait a tic!
I know you people who never were able to afford, or "knowledgeable" enough to maintain, a gaming PC have no idea what we mean when we say this is actually terrible, but you guys have been getting the second rate stuff all along.

See, I'm going to play TF2 in a little while, and when I do so I'm going to log on and look between one of my favorite servers, with settings I like (or closest available), and play with the people I want. These were servers I've visited before, enjoyed the experience, and choose to stay on. Tomorrow, a server of a mapping community I'm part of will be running a "gameday" event, where we get to test and give feedback to maps still under construction. We upload and update these maps whenever, and play them whenever. If you act like a complete dickhole in those servers, you will be banned, because we think you're an idiot. Likewise, you'll think we're idiots and you'll go to a server you like (full of people we'll most likely consider idiots and that, which, most likely, will be reciprocal) and enjoy playing with them, and most likely ban people like us thinking we're idiots.

It's a perfect system. Everyone's happy. Everyone gets their own place, and if they don't, they can make it!

This is actually one of the reasons I play L4D a lot less than TF2.

What IW is doing here really is just dumbing it down, not as a side option, but attempting to grab us by the balls, trying to retain full control over the product they sold us.

If you want an analogy, imagine I buy a plot of land. I get a permit to build a house. Then as I go to build a house there, the guys that sold me the land go "Nono. You can't build a house there!" "But it's my land, and I got a permit..." "Well, that means we can build our house there and let you live in it!".

Sounds bad doesn't it?
Erm, Im running 8 gb RAM, 2gb Graphics and Quadcore, I DO Play PC games. I was making a point that the reason they do it is for equal rights.
Equal rights for what? If anything, you guys were getting the short end of the stick, and they should have made dedicated servers and mods for console versions. OH WAIT! That would make M$ angry because we can't have products with value.

The bottom line is, they swapped out a perfectly good system for a far worse one. End of story.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Well that's CoD dead to me, can they give any decent reasons for changing it from a working flexible system to restricting everything about the game?

Also if it's only dedicated servers, the way Activision are going they don't exactly support the game after they are working on another, how long are these servers going to be running?