Iwata Swears Nintendo Isn't Copying Apple's iPad

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I hope they're not copying Apple, because Apple are shit at making tablets.
They're not shit at making tablets, they're just very fond of ripping people off.

I really don't see why Nintendo are even dignifying these rumours with a response. The Wii U is absolutely nothing like the iPad, and at the very least there are tons of other tablet devices they could have copied.

~ We already have loads of people referring to any MP3 player as an iPod, are we calling every tablet device an iPad now as well? :/

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

-img-

Besides, even if the controller has other applications, it's main purpose to be used as a user interface, so it's not even aiming at the tablet market.
Not that I disagree with the gist of the image, but why compare the CPUs by clock rate?

Dec 14, 2009
mireko said:
Daystar Clarion said:

-img-

Besides, even if the controller has other applications, it's main purpose to be used as a user interface, so it's not even aiming at the tablet market.
Not that I disagree with the gist of the image, but why compare the CPUs by clock rate?
No idea. I didn't make the image.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Marudas said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Even if that's the case, it still doesn't change the fact that Apple are charging a ridiculous amount of money for something I could probably make with a milk carton and a pack of mints.
I would actually...really like to see that.

Overall though, thats how the market works. People vote with their dollars. They've shown that they're willing to pay that premium for the iPad, so Apple isn't likely to change that.

Stand back people, I'm about preform science.
I can't breathe... too funny..

This is the best thing I've seen all day.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, I certainly didn't think it would be like an iPad with proper sitcks and buttons, I thought it was like a giant DS screen, in fact, it's more proper to call it a "giant DS", as he said, with the TV acting as the top screen.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
Am I currently visiting an alternate universe where Nintendo hasn't already been selling touchscreen devices for years?

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Pardon my ignorance, but i don't get it?
Since when Apple at any point of history actually invented tablets/touchscreen? Tablets appeared in the old, one and only, original Star Trek tv series... in 1966. The patent itself is from 1942 or so. Multitouch controls are from late 1960's.

It's almost like one car company would have to make excuses that their car has 4 wheels just like other cars. Madness.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I dont even know why nintendo would bring this up, I mean nintendo tends to make good things

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

Hah, haven't seen that image before, but entertaining. Question though, how much is that tablet from 7 years ago? Curious how much you paid for it back then.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well obviously they copied it because Apple invented touch screens, they also invented phones and air and obviously dirt, that was all Apple, just remember if it wasn't for them we wouldn't even have air.

I really do wonder why a company feels the need to respond to these mindless savages

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
This actually brings up some concerns about how the WiiU will fare in the market if people begin to dismiss it as an iPad with buttons. Nintendo needs to really show the value in this new controller. Also, if they hope to keep their new audience, they need to first make another installment to Wii Sports on launch day. That was what compelled them to buy a wii in the first place so it's an absolute must.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Mr.K. said:
Well obviously they copied it because Apple invented touch screens, they also invented phones and air and obviously dirt, that was all Apple, just remember if it wasn't for them we wouldn't even have air.

I really do wonder why a company feels the need to respond to these mindless savages

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they really did that.

Daystar Clarion said:
Stand back people, I'm about preform science.
Macgyver that shit.

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
I don't think it really looks like an iPad at all and I don't understand why people are making that comparison. On the other hand, when the controller was first revealed I took one look at it and thought to myself "holy hell that's one fancy Etch A Sketch" ^_^

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Marudas said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Even if that's the case, it still doesn't change the fact that Apple are charging a ridiculous amount of money for something I could probably make with a milk carton and a pack of mints.
I would actually...really like to see that.

Overall though, thats how the market works. People vote with their dollars. They've shown that they're willing to pay that premium for the iPad, so Apple isn't likely to change that.

Its just like how I've genuinely been shocked about every new DS since the DS lite, and wondering why anyone would ever want one, but people still buy them. I don't get mad at Nintendo for it, I wonder why people would fork out the money for those devices.
Daystar Clarion called.
He said....

XD

OT:Ironically, I think they can take a few pointers FROM the iPad. Like how to make a sleek tablet for one thing. Like it or hate it, the iPad atleast LOOKS better than that bloated monstrosity.

It has a lot of potential, but people are NOT going to take this thing seriously when it looks like a Wii had a bastard child with an Etch-a-sketch. :/

tk1989

May 20, 2008
PxDn Ninja said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Hah, haven't seen that image before, but entertaining. Question though, how much is that tablet from 7 years ago? Curious how much you paid for it back then.
I'd be curious about how well it actually worked. Windows 7 isn't very good for tablets, so somehow i very much doubt Windows Xp would be any better...

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Mr.K. said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/1430-iPotato

Gotta love those guys

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
To many posts here and all around the internet "ITS AN IPAD NINTEDO BE STEALING FORM APPPLE"

I actually think this will work out for nintendo in the long run. There seems to be strong support from third party developers and with strong franchise characters it will do just fine.

It really interests me so far and likely to buy as long as its reasonable price range (not $599 PS3 launch price tag)

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Yes they stolen it from Apple.
You guys sound like Nintendo already made something with touchscreens. Don't be ridiculous. Apple invented the touchscreens, phones and the word portable. If not for Apple, we would live in a much darker world.
All hail Apple.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

Well that is a bit biased since they failed to mention the Ipad has multitouch. The battery life for the iPad 12+ hrs while the HP is 2.hrs 40 mins