Iwata Swears Nintendo Isn't Copying Apple's iPad

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Marudas said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Even if that's the case, it still doesn't change the fact that Apple are charging a ridiculous amount of money for something I could probably make with a milk carton and a pack of mints.
I would actually...really like to see that.

Overall though, thats how the market works. People vote with their dollars. They've shown that they're willing to pay that premium for the iPad, so Apple isn't likely to change that.

Stand back people, I'm about preform science.
You're mad, man. MAD, I TELL YOU.

Emergent

Oct 26, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
Emergent said:
Translation: "We have been copying fads for some time now, yes."
What fads? Touch screens are not a fad, Nintendo's DS line has be a great success and long past the amount of time that it would have to be just a fad and then die out.

3D, has been around longer than that(Since the 1950's, Nintendo just did something to revolutionize 3D by making it so the viewer doesn't have to wear glasses.

Of all the things that I have seen over years and in the past that were called fads and were just that, they lasted no more than a few years.

I couldn't in good conscience call 3D a fad. Fad by nature the word implies "fading" and quickly going away not long after creation. I certainly don't call something that has been around for around 60 years a fad.

The people that call such things fads, are people that are set in there ways and can't accept technological progress. Yes 3D technology isn't perfect, though it is only within the last decade or so that we have had the technology to further 3D. All technology starts out rocky and unrefined and takes time to move forward. It's really a minority that is against such technology, because if it was majority, companies wouldn't make it.

Can you imagine if the first computers were determined a fad and then died out? Wow, it would be bizarre and primitive world today.

So stop shaking your angry "want no change" cane at the normal flow of technological progress.
Fads come and go. That they've been coming and going for some time does not make them less of a fad, nor do those who recognize them as such deserve to be equated with some kind of technology-hating primitives.

3D is a fad (remember Virtual Boy?). Touchscreens that add no additional functionality are a fad (Nintendo may prove their "new" functionality worthwhile in the future, but they have not done so as of yet). Hell man, long (or short!) skirts and the various different types of hats are fads. Blue jeans are a fad that started in 1940's California and spread to the rest of the world faster than cute kitten posters.

Fads are like viral memes: some prove beneficial to society, most of do not, but they are not automatically synonymous with "progress."

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
John Funk said:
Iwata Swears Nintendo Isn't Copying Apple's iPad
See here, man being skeptical. Also not caring.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/JODwetfioWA

In all honesty, how could anyone not make comparisons? It's a controller. That's portable (not wired). Has a touch screen. You can even play the main game directly from the controller. It's... Like a less powered version of the iPad. Which is a less powerful version of a tablet. Of course, companies copy each other all the time, so what's the point of caring? Zuckerburg (spell his name right?) didn't invent the social networking website but he certainly made the most popular one.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
So, Ninty is copying the Ipad eh?
Cos it's not like the DS had a touchscreen, or that the GBA could hook up to the Gamecube as a second screen, or that they put Cameras and Motion Controls in their products before.

Seriously, every gimmick in the new WiiU controller has been used by Nintendo before, you can't really steal from yourself.