J.J. Abrams Signs Up To Direct Star Wars VII

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
Having the same director for both Star Trek and Star Wars..... interesting....And all lens flare jokes aside, I liked Super 8 and Star Trek (alsoFelicitybutthatsadiffererntstory). So I'm still carefully optimistic, Disney hasn't ruined the Marvel movies.

Eric the Orange said:
I still think it should been Brad Bird.
I do agree with this tho lol

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
Abrams? Don't know why people think this is bad (ya ya lens flare and all that), there are worse people out there. I for one am looking forward to it if that be the case.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I can't speak for Star Trek or Lost, not having seen either one, but Fringe was an amazing show almost the entire way through, and if Abrams can keep that quality level I'll gladly watch and enjoy new Star Wars movies.

P.S. Thanks

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
Y'know what? I'll give it a shot anyway. At least it won't be Lucas at the helm.

I don't think Abrams could hose-up SW any more than it's daddy already has.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
First Star Trek, now Star Wars. What's next? J.J. Abrams directs... Doctor Who!

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Tragic, just tragic.

On the plus side, there is really no reason to get hyped for it now.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Now how about, listen up, we wait until the film is fully in production, or even better, out, and THEN make up our minds.

Seriously, the only complaint i've seen so far is lens flare, and you can;t judge that till the movie is out right? (although sunglasses are recommended to be on the save side i guess)

Second, will fans of both franchises really trow a hissy fit over the same director for both? really?

N_of_the_dead

Apr 2, 2008
I am conflicted on one hand a star wars nerd who makes good films is making a star wars movie, on the other hand when I saw star trek I am pretty sure I left the theater with more retina damage than i entered with. But as long as he tones the lens flare down I will be intrigued.

Still I am surprised they didn't go with Brad Bird even del Toro suggested Bird when he said he wasn't interested.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
While I would have preferred Zack Snyder I think Abrams is a safe bet for this project. The guy knows how to do big set piece action shots while not assuming special effects can replace plot and story.

As long as he can let go of his "Mystery box" storytelling technique I don't see this as a bad thing.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Back in December, director J.J. Abrams said that because of his loyalty to the Star Trek franchise he'd just rebooted, he had no desire to be involved in any of the new Star Wars films. "I declined any involvement very early on," he said at the time. "I'd rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming, rather than being involved in the minutiae of making them."

Things have apparently changed.
"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Abrams has done some good stuff, and some dreck. But honestly, I'd just as soon he stayed clear of Star Wars. Aside from having a very particular style which could cast a shadow over any later movies, he just doesn't really seem to have all that strong a sense for consequence and detail- series like Lost and movies like Cloverfield were full of little things that seemed meaningful, but didn't really add up to all that much when you got to pull back and look at the whole.

After the multitude of mis-steps in the details and lore of the "prequel" trilogy, I'd just as soon have a director who crafted such things with some care and left a trail of breadcrumbs future directors could follow than one who cast out a whole bunch of red herrings and left his successors stumbling to find genuine relevance and resonance.

But, well, y'know, it's not up to me, so... Here's hoping my assessment is off.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Oh well. So much for going with someone interesting or unxpected. Now all that's needed is for Abrams to say he'll be working from Lucas's treatments...

Quaxar said:
First Star Trek, now Star Wars. What's next? J.J. Abrams directs... Doctor Who!
That thought must be Exterminated. Exterminate! Exterminate!! Exterminaaaaaaate!!!

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
I. Do. Certainly. Want. This.

The only gripe I have with this is that he might make it a little bit too 'clean'. But I think he can come up with an enjoyable action movie.

EDIT: AND I LIKED THE LENS FLARES IN STAR TREK GOD DAMN IT

sid

Jan 22, 2013
I feel like none of the big guys want to direct this movie on the grounds that everyone's set on hating it before it was even made. Just keep that in mind, as a fan of the Star Wars franchise since the first three, I'll support its production to the end and cross my fingers for something good to come out of all of this. It's really hard to like something you train yourself to hate for >2 years.

On the other hand, Star Wars: The Lens Flares Back

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Huh, didn't realise so many people despised the new Trek movie?
Well all I really have to say to this is...cool.