Jack Thompson: "I'm Surprised I Lasted That Long"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Believe me, guys, there were many days in years past when I worried that we were pushing Jackie T overload and wished that he would just go away. And he has, so that's that, but he's worth checking up on occasionally because he was far and away the most vocal, visible and determined opponent of the game industry that it has ever had. He was a clown, absolutely, and his crazy behaviour did absolutely nothing to advance his cause, but it doesn't change the fact that every time something fucked up, Jack was there to chase the ambulance.

I'm not advocating a "forgive and forget" thing here, the fact that he outright told gamers to "go to hell" a few months ago was a pretty clear indicator that his anger and hatred were still burning brightly. But Thompson had such an impact on all of us that I think it's interesting to glance over once in awhile to see what he's up to.
SkittlesKat said:
Why does everybody hate Jack Thompson? He just wanted to change the game ratings and stuff and stop children from playing violent video games but the laws were so stupid he couldn't do what he wanted to do with them, we should be angry at people like that attorney general guy in Australia
Uh, no. That's not quite right. There's plenty of Thompson coverage on the site to give you a clearer picture of what he was after. Just search "Jack Thompson" and do some reading, it's good stuff.

The_Fezz

Oct 21, 2010
Well, he was more of an annoyance than a real threat; for now that's California's job.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Eri said:
That girl in your avatar seems to be banging her head into the wall a lot faster than usual.

OT: The only problem with this is the "too smart for his enemies" thing. Case and point, when he claimed that the removal of the Taliban from MoH was all his doing and anyone who disagreed with him could "go to hell." Delusions of grandeur much?

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
lacktheknack said:
For clarification, God does not frown on video games any more than movies or comics.

But anyways, if he's "too smart for his enemies", please explain the intense fail that was the Sims 2 "controversy". Or his being disbarred.
Sims 2 controversy???

Is it wierd that I find that photo a little scary?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
lacktheknack said:
For clarification, God does not frown on video games any more than movies or comics.

But anyways, if he's "too smart for his enemies", please explain the intense fail that was the Sims 2 "controversy". Or his being disbarred.
Sims 2 controversy???
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/22/news_6129609.html

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
I love his co-authors comment, basicly saying:

"He doesn't have psychological issues, he's in fact quite smart."
Yeah, because smart people can't have psychological issues.

Also, from the referenced article:

As an example of the ex-lawyer's wit, Provenzo pointed to Thompson's satirical proposal to sell a video game in which the objective was to hunt down and kill video game designers and executives.
Provenzo also failed to mention that Thompson promised to donate 10,000 bucks to charity, if such a game was ever made.

Such a game was made.

Thompson said he was only kidding. Then Thompson said the requirements weren't met. Then he threatened people with legal action.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Freakout456 said:
Remember the book burnings of the Crusades and Nazi Germany....let's bring those back just for this.
Technically there was very few literature in the Middle Ages, so none really to burn and most couldn't read...all a misconception on history also lets not forget the russian book burnings! If Ray Bradbury was correct!