Jack Thompson: "I'm Surprised I Lasted That Long"

Angus565

Mar 21, 2009
Niccolo said:
Okay... is it just me, or does this Jack Thompson sound a fair bit more pleasant than the lunatic from a few years ago?
Maybe since he was disbarred he was visited by three ghosts.

ParadiseOnceLost

Jan 26, 2010
I have long since stoped caring about Jack Thompson. He lost all his creditability a looooooooooooong fucking time ago, and even when he had some creditability he never changed anything. Of all the games that he has taken shots at, none of them were seriously affected (I think it could be argued that he improved sales in most cases). Just stop paying attention to him and he will go back and crawl in some hole in Florida and live us all the fuck alone.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Bernzz said:
Professor Eugene Provenzo said:
"But he is one of the sanest people I know."

What.

Right, right. Because sane people blame one thing and one thing only for the corruption of youth? Irrationally? Never listening to other arguments? Right.
Lets not forget, he's the voice of GOD! Whereas G-Dubya Bush only heard voices from God, Thompson claims to BE Gods voice! The man may very well be as smart as he is delusional, but he is more delusional to the world at large than Provenzo will admit.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Jack's an oddball, I'll give him that. But he made a fine foe and worthy adversary, if only for his quite unintentional effect of uniting gamers and making us realize that we have to fight for this medium's right to enjoy the same status under the law as established forms of entertainment.

You opened our eyes, Mr. Thompson. Made us better people, civic-minded, active people, people who care about things that are dear to us and learned how to fight for them. We are better citizens because of you. And somewhere in the back of your mind, I can't help but wonder if you realize that in your own twisted way you positively impacted the lives of a lot of people just by giving them an object of motive force by hating you.

Enjoy the twilight of your life, Jack. And when the gods take you, I'll be at the forefront of those pointing out the good about your little Don Quixote act.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
we were all surprised, jack.

I think you should write something about hwo to get disbarred, if you had afunny bone in your body you'd be in good shape to make a tidy buck.
I really wish you weren't such a jackass though. Bringing religious views into public policy is bullshit.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
northeast rower said:
I won't lie, I respect Thompson. He's smart, he's got convictions that he stands by, he's eloquent, he's occasionaly funny, and, most importantly, he's damn good at inciting the public. He's something of a Cicero for our modern age, just without a worthy Catiline.
Really? You respect someone who can't be bothered to present a reasoned argument, and would rather attempt to win every confrontation by dint of volume?

I'm terribly, terribly sorry for you.

Hrm. I'm kind of shocked that he has the cognizance to evolve to this next stage of douchebaggery, where he can claim that his actions were just a 'schtick' to get attention. (note that he's not doing so yet. He's still trying to claim the moral superiority of his beliefs. Think about that, and what it means, exactly.)

joebthegreat said:
Oh god, all you need to do is mention someone on the "gamer hit list" (which I will be calling it from now on, to include Thompson, Atkinson, and Kotick) and you get this list of hateful insults. This is especially bad because he isn't doing ANYTHING here.

Come off it already. He was wrong, he had some bad ideas. That doesn't make him the devil, or even necessarily a bad person. That doesn't make him insane, or stupid. All it makes him is someone who disagrees with you. His argument was wrong, nothing happened. Stop acting so personally hurt.

Think about the way you treat your enemies the next time you end up having an unpopular opinion, or an opinion based on something you later find to be completely wrong. Or, you know, just live like plankton going wherever the current takes you.

For the record, I could care less about this guy, won't be reading the book, and I'm wearing a paintball mask right now.
I don't think that people dislike Thompson for his opinions, I think they dislike him for the behavior he engaged in while pursuing his goal-- which was, truth be told, entirely about drawing as much attention as possible to himself, rather than the cause he was supposedly championing.

We're not talking about somebody like Martin Luther King, Jr. here. We're talking about a guy who implied that the makers of Grand Theft Auto III should be sodomized and murdered in a fashion similar to what their game depicted. We're talking about a guy who promised to contribute 10 grand to charity if somebody made a game he described (which involved the player invading the Rockstar offices and murdering everyone there) and then reneged on that promise when the game was made. We're talking about a guy who send a 'brief' to the Florida Supreme Court which included hand-drawn images of swastikas, kangaroos in court, cartoon squirrels, and monkeys, among other things.

Seriously, go read up on Thompson. I have no problem with people who believe so strongly in their views that they crusade for them, but just being a zealot does NOT absolve you of the need to present your opinions intelligently and rationally!

The fact that this Provenzo dude is hitching his wagon to someone who has clearly made a fool out of himself with his behavior like Thompson has is just baffling to me. I really wonder if he's actually bothered to consider what the average person thinks of this sort of behavior.

When I think of Jack Thompson, I think of South Park's rendition of how Mel Gibson acts.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
One...two...three...

[HEADING=1]That's what she said![/HEADING]
You know I had a train of thought nicely planned out, but dammit all if that didn't just completely derail it. Now I'm laughing. Well played sir. Well played.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Ohhhh. So Captain Religion was behind it all, wasn't he? I just watched a Christopher Hitchens speech that amidst the atheism smugness was an excellent point - the religious, whose freedom of expression is so carefully maintained, conversely work harder than anyone else towards stifling free speech. Jack Thompson has never and will never do anything worthy of your respect. The man is a clown. And he ain't done yet, kids. His next big project will probably involve a letter writing campaign to Saturday Night Live because one of the actors took the lord's name in vain. He's wasting his life and wasting our time in the process.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I don't think God freaks out like a psychotic idiot whenever violent media is released, and I don't think he tries to take all the credit for when it gets removed, either.
Well Jack, we're finally rid of you. We'll remember you when we see your Mortal Kombat character.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Well, it's was fun while you were around Jack, but we won't have any RL trolls as good as you. Oh well, Hazama will keep me occupied for my troll needs.

Play him off, Hazama.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Y'know, it's kinda weird, but I actually kinda have a bit of respect for him now, he admits that he was a tosser, or at least he knows why people would see him as such.

Maybe in time, gamers will come to view him as a worthy enemy... until the next GTA game comes out and he goes on another crusade against it.

OK, probably not, but it doesn't hurt to be a little optimistic.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I think this sounds more like he's saying "I'm surprised I lasted that long because everyone was out to get me" rather then the true statement that he shouldn't have lasted as long as he did because he's an idiot who is full of the holier-then-thou attitude I hate so much. The guy is as much a troll now as he's always been.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Sounds amazingly arrogant. I'd think that'd be exactly the kind of person that would be honoured as a politician.

On the bright side, he's willing to admit that he's just too great to understand instead of being misguided.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I think I'm going to bring back an old saying...

"Gag me with a spoon."