Jack Thompson Squeals On Strauss Zelnick To His Mom

Slamhound

Aug 29, 2007
How does anybody not fail to be amused by his antics?

Yes, he's a douche. Yes, he's against all that you stand for and vocal about it. The fact is that stunts like this makes us look like the good guys.

Heaven help us if his successor is actually competent. If the next JT gets the sympathy of the courts and senators, then the gaming industry is royally boned, right or not. Fortunately, that'll never happen while Jackie-boy is on the case. No one wants to be a douche by association.

greygelgoog

Dec 29, 2007
If anything Jack Thompson is evidence that video games can cause significant psychological trauma, presuming it hadn't been there all along.

Human Bomb

Sep 29, 2007
Karisse said:
Whenever I hear about video games contributing to real world violence I think of Yahtzee's Manhunt review.

There's a plethora of scientific information and federal reports that debunk the notion of video game's contributing to violent crimes, not to mention the fact that if a 12 year old is playing a 18+ rated game it's something the parents should be held accountable for not paying attention. If you're up for a good read, check the link below; it's eight myths about video game violence debunked by studies and reports. Enjoy.

http://www.pbs.org/kcts/videogamerevolution/impact/myths.html
Wow! That is one well sourced and concise article, and it comes from PBS too. Relatively balanced, and written by the director of comparative studies at MIT!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
greygelgoog said:
If anything Jack Thompson is evidence that video games can cause significant psychological trauma, presuming it hadn't been there all along.
I'm sure there have been one or two cases where the Florida bar asked for him to undergo pyschological testing. Sadly, they couldn't force it on him, mores the pity. And I think Hilary Clinton was on about games at one point, but who know? Politicians seem willing to do -anything- for attendion and votes (moreso that Wacko-Jacko (either of them)). And there is an MP (Member of Parliament) here in who was trying to get games banned because one kid went (more) insane after playing manhunt and killed another kid. Although I had to give a thin smile when the parent of the insane boy blamed it on the game.

Zippy1313

Mar 26, 2008
What a crazy, crazy bastard.
This guy is a nuts.
Why not address the fact that it is usually pretty hard for kids to get these games unless parents buy the games for them.
So, does that make the parents bad people? No!
It is people like this that make me sick.

Feb 13, 2008
Some more Thompson-esque debarcles, if you hadn't heard of them

wiki said:
In 2006, two Michigan gamers began a project dubbed "Flowers for Jack", soliciting donations to deliver a massive floral arrangement to Thompson?s office. The flowers were delivered in February along with a letter aimed at opening a dialogue between Thompson and the video gaming community. Thompson rejected this overture and forwarded the flowers to some of his industry foes, with such comments as "Discard them along with the decency you discarded long ago. I really don't care. Grind them up and smoke them if you like."
wiki said:
In 2005, he wrote an open letter to Entertainment Software Association president Doug Lowenstein, making what he described as a "a modest video game proposal" (an allusion to the title of Jonathan Swift's satirical essay, A Modest Proposal) to the video game industry: Thompson said he would donate $10,000 to a charity designated by Take-Two CEO Paul Eibeler if any video game company would create a game including the scenario he described in the letter. The scenario called for the main character, whose son was killed by a boy who played violent video games, to murder a number of industry executives (including one modeled on Eibeler) and go on a killing spree at the Electronic Entertainment Expo. Video game fans promptly began working to take Thompson up on his offer, resulting in the game I'm O.K - A Murder Simulator, among others. Afterwards, he claimed that his proposal was satire, and to date he has not made his proposed donation.

In response, Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik, the creators of gaming webcomic Penny Arcade and of the children's charity Child's Play, stepped in to make the donation instead, writing in the memo field of their check, "For Jack Thompson, Because Jack Thompson Won't." Afterwards, Thompson tried to get Seattle police and the FBI to investigate Holkins and Krahulik for orchestrating "criminal harassment" of him through articles on their site
wiki said:
Thompson later drew attention to the game's main character, a 15-year old male, being able to kiss other boys. Thompson wrote to ESRB president Patricia Vance, "We just found gay sexual content in Bully as Jimmy Hopkins makes out with another male student. Good luck with your Teen rating now." The ESRB indicated that they knew the content was in the game when they rated the game.
And most worryingly...
In 1990, after his election loss, Thompson began a campaign against the efforts of Switchboard of Miami, a social services group of which Reno was a board member. Thompson charged that the group placed "homosexual-education tapes" in public schools. Switchboard responded by getting the Florida Supreme Court to order that he submit to a psychiatric examination. Thompson did so and passed, and since then has stated on more than one occasion that he is "the only officially certified sane lawyer in the entire state of Florida."
Maybe playing games make you gay Jack? Ever thought of that one?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Hahaha... Dr. Kevorkian, thou hast been dethroned from master of antics.
I really can't think of anything to say to this other than point out the obvious hilarity of the whole thing. Here I had thought he had finally given up, thrown in the towel, and yet here he is again. I do love that guy.

I mean, imagine if someone who was *good* at this was spearheading his mission..

Haliwali

Jan 29, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
fat american said:
Jack Thompsan may be a complete and utter fizzbitch but beating him up or trying to hurt him or threatning him would just prove his point. He would have physical evidence go on tv and say, "Look what they did to me, do you believe they are violent now?"
We could goad him into hitting one of us, and then say "Look at how violent this man is, attacking an innocent child (we'll need someone below adulthood). He has never played a game, and he strikes innocent children". Could work.
I volunteer. I'm in TN, not to far...

Feb 13, 2008
Melty Blood said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Lots of words
It doesn't need re-enforcement that the man's retarded shenanigans need to be put to rest.
Agreed, but a few might not be aware of the utter depths this man has tried to sink to. Welching on a charity donation is low, but then trying to arrest the benefactors? That's a whole level of scum below that.

IvanRosski

Apr 24, 2008
I'd really love to meet him - just to find out how much of what he says is just media baiting, and how much he really believes.

I fear it's more the latter than the former...

Zemalac

Apr 22, 2008
I would be laughing my head off about this if it weren't for the knowledge that he seriously believes what he is saying.

Has anyone ever sued him for attempting to defame the game industry? I'm pretty sure we could get him for harrassment or at least for libel, what with everything he's done. And for wasting court time, though I think he's already been punished for that.

IvanRosski

Apr 24, 2008
I find myself wondering where this bile originally started spewing from - what dark, shameful desire for Pac-Man did lead to such awful, guilt ridden transference that this man is clearly displaying?

*Time for a spot of pretentious chin stroking methinks*

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Zemalac said:
Has anyone ever sued him for attempting to defame the game industry? I'm pretty sure we could get him for harrassment or at least for libel, what with everything he's done.
Well, he is under a restraining order that prevents him from contacting Rockstar/Take Two directly due to his prior antics... hence the current tattling to Mommie.

(The man's a piece of work, let me tell you.)

-- Steve

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Slamhound said:
How does anybody not fail to be amused by his antics?

Yes, he's a douche. Yes, he's against all that you stand for and vocal about it. The fact is that stunts like this makes us look like the good guys.

Heaven help us if his successor is actually competent. If the next JT gets the sympathy of the courts and senators, then the gaming industry is royally boned, right or not. Fortunately, that'll never happen while Jackie-boy is on the case. No one wants to be a douche by association.
Even if JT's succesor has the persuaion skills of Henry Kissinger, I doubt he'd make much headway.

The games industry is simply too rich. You only have to look at the persistence of tobacco, which is well an truly proven to kill people. Once an industry makes enough money to buy a small country, its a brave politician that attempts to stop them...