Jack Thompson Threatens Gabe Newell Over School Shooter Mod

DarksideFlame

Feb 9, 2011
Well, Jacko, you had earned my respect when you defended the Mass Effect when people claimed it was a rape sim but now you lost it again but I will admit that I don't like nor support the idea that the mind behind the school shooter mod came up with and thought it was a good idea to make it

Btw, he actually defended the sex scenes in Mass Effect I am not screwing with you

Proof: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/01/29/jack_thompson_defends_mass_effect_sex_scene/1

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Anyone else constantly getting an image of a crazed monkey bending bars and escaping from the zoo every time they see the name Jack Thompson and his always accompanying disbarred title?

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
Im sorry did he just call Half Life a murder simulator and blame it for school shootings? Because thats what I read.

He can't be serious. But wait, he's not, he's just insane.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
BanthaFodder said:
if I was Gabe Newall, THIS would be my response:
Dear Mr. Thompson,
My company did NOT create this mod and we do not have to approve any mods. To say we should have to approve mods would be the same thing as saying Crayola has to approve every kindergartener's drawing. We simply gave the community the tools to make whatever they wanted. Mods are downloaded and installed by individuals. If we were to remove this mod (as you suggested), we would have to personally delete it off of the hard drive of every single person who installed it. As you can plainly see, this is simply not feasable. But what worries me about your letter is the "or else". Is this a threat? What could have caused you to become so violent Mr. Thompson? Especially towards a total stranger? I personally think it's the anger shown on shows like Fox News. They perpetrate hate towards the gaming community and act as "hate-simulators" specifically designed to brainwash people into committing acts of hate. I mean, honestly, CHILDREN could be watching! It's a shame that this awful medium has brainwashed a fine mind as yourself. First using a derogatory term for little-people, then threatening innocent strangers? WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END MR. THOMPSON?
Yours Truly,
Gabe Newall
Also, this guy

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Damn, I really hate this guy. That said, I think this mod is kind of sickening. Also, I'm not sure just how Gabe Newell is involved... He came out with the game five years ago, and has no involvement whatsoever in the modding process. He can't simply wave his hand and make it go away, because he's not involved.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
"Speaking for myself alone (for now), you have until five o'clock pm Eastern standard time this Friday, March 18, 2011, to shut down this public safety hazard I predicted years ago this school massacre game would arrive."

Yeah cause valve closes at 5PM? or uh.. he'll send another angry letter, or what? Not much of an "or else!"

wierdman51

Apr 24, 2009
RanD00M said:
Didn't Jacky lose his lawyer rights in '09? Or something like that which made it so he can't attack the video gaming industry publicly. So isn't he breaking the law by doing this?
If im not incorrect, this is a letter to a single man, not a mass letter open for public viewing. it may be sent to multiple people, but it is not meant for the entire world to know about it. so this is a private message delivered by the US postal service. so therefore, not illegal, but threatening nonetheless. but who knows? i dont know law well yet.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Thanks to this letter, I now know that Washington Post and New York Times tell blatant lies. Guns n Roses had more of a connection to the VA Tech shooting than video games, and even that doesn't hold much water.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Jack Thompson loves the game industry.
Why?
Because we give him the light of day.

Stop doing this and he will go away.

It's really quite sad now because he's looking more and more like a fledgeling old man trying to get attention for the very last time.

Also - stop it with the stupid Captchas already. Yes, I realise why you're doing it but a 3 year old account with 80+ posts isn't going to start spamming all of a sudden. Work in a formula to the Captcha algorithm that takes something like this in to account please.

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009

Ok...ummm...no one cares what you think anymore, you had the right idea for once, cause a school shooter game isn't really morally acceptable, and you still turn into a complete idiot.
So good night, and go fuck yourself

You know what? I take that back, you still don't have the right idea. Go fight against snuff films or something, at least then, someone is actually being physically harmed.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Speaking for amoral midgets everywhere: Gabe Newell has nothing to do with this and Jack Thompson should quit while he is soundly not ahead. You can disbar the idiot and he still thinks he's God.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
From Jack's point of view it's not just the painter and the person who sells the paint but also the fault of the canvas and anyone who attended the art gallery.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Awwww ... isn't that cute - Jack Thompson thinks he's still relevant to anything.

At least he's still good for a laugh. Really, its cute that he thinks vague threats from a disbarred lawyer are worth anything.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I don't even think that this guy is worth a news anymore. Seriously, did anyone read the letter without laughing? Just look at how it's written, you can clearly see that he has no idea what he's writing.
Besides, Gabe Newell is too awesome to even care what that guys doing. He should just ignore him, if he doesn't feed the troll it will go away.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
There are so many people worth raging at here: Jack, for being a totally ignorant moral guardian; Checkerboard, for going and doing something like this in the first place (it pretty much just seems to be made for stirring up drama, after all); and plenty more, I'm sure. Gabe, however, is not one of those people.

conflictofinterests said:
GreyKnight3445 said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
I think I can sum up my feelings for this arrogant, deluded, misinformed waste of redundant protoplasm with three simple words:

GO. FUCK. YOURSELF.

Grrrr, I'm going to save myself a long time of ranting by playing Diablo 2 and pretending HE is Mephisto. Over. And over. And over again.
thats technically 5 words

1 Go 2 Fuck 3 Your (as in possessive, not as in a contraction of You and Are) 4 Self
Completely missing the point. Yourself is one word, it's a reflexive pronoun. He was referring to the "Hey, Jack..." part as the other two words.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
"HEY ASSHOLES! USE YOUR BIG CORPORATE POWERS TO CRUSH, CENSOR AND OTHERWISE SILENCE THE FREEDOM OF SPEECH OF YOUR GAME'S FANS BECAUSE IT MIGHT OFFEND SOMEBODY WITH ITS HORRID VIOLENCE! Now excuse me while I watch the most recent Hostel move."

Yours truley,
Douchey McDickhead