Jagex Busts Teen for School Shooting Comment

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
piinyouri said:
Whoawhoawhoawhoawhoa.
Wait, he was arrested for not actually doing anything?
I've now read this article slowly about 4 times and if someone could correct me that would be wonderful but it doesnt seem to me he actually did anything, yet was arrested.

I mean, not the most savory character, yeah okay.
But saying you are going to do something, and actually doing it are still two different things nowadays aren't they?
Now hang on. If I had access to firearms and threatened to come and shoot you, you would go to the police, correct? I'm not saying he deserves jail time, but taking society's current mindset into consideration, comments like this have to be investigated.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Father Time said:
SpAc3man said:
What a dickface. He may or may not have been taking the piss but he needed to be made an example of.
If he was just joking then why does he need to be made an example of?
Because there are unacceptable ways of behaving in society and people need to be shown that we will not tolerate this shit.
The authorities had no idea if it was a joke or not so they acted in the proper way. He will likely be given a slap on the wrist and told to stop being a little shit but at least people have been given the message that threats like this will have repercussions.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Abandon4093 said:
Xarathox said:
Abandon4093 said:
Devoneaux said:
Abandon4093 said:
Desert Punk said:
Abandon4093 said:
If we're going to start sentencing people with crimes they might commit, then we're gonna be here a long time.
Who has been sentenced so far exactly? He made a credible threat, and had the means and opportunity to carry out that threat, so he has been arrested while the investigation is underway.
With a bail of 50 grand.

That's ludicrous when dealing with a case where no actual crime has been committed.

And get off the means opportunity shite, that virtually applies to anyone who could make that threat in the US. If he owned weapons in a country where they are controlled, you might have a point. But his father owning a gun in the US is hardly damning evidence.
I'm sorry, but can you point to where it says that the First amendment protects your right to threaten someone? Serious question, because I am pretty sure it doesn't protect your right to threaten someone's life.
I didn't say anything about the first amendment.

I'm just pointing out that some stupid kid saying stupid shit online isn't really a threat.

Investigate the claims, sure. That's only smart. But claiming he had means and opportunity because his dad owns a gun and he goes to school.

Well that's just fucking silly.
You did say he didn't commit a crime, which is factually false. Threats of violence in the US is a crime. Whether or not someone will go through with such threats is irrelevant, as they can be arrested for stating such intent.
Is it though? Is saying childish shit on an MMO really a crime? As far as I'm concerned, unless someone has some real proof that the idiot was actually going to do anything, then he was just a stupid kid trying to get some attention by acting like a tool online.
By technicality, what he said (that he was going to shoot up his school, tomorrow) is an actual crime by definition of the first amendment. Therefore it is a law that he broke, and in no way was law enforcement in the wrong by arresting him for it.

Whether or not you agree with it is a moot point. And I'm not taking a side either way, just pointing out that he did, in fact, commit a crime by the definition of our constitution.

I Love Lamp

Jan 31, 2010
Free speech and the protection of it have nothing to do with accountability. We ARE accountable for ALL that we SAY and DO.

While accountability is an increasingly alien concept to younger generations who have a hyper-inflamed sense of self entitlement; the internet, or games or text message or whatever electronic medium you want to site does not waive responsibility and accountability.

Simply because one wants anonymity through the internet does not mean consequence-free. If you say it, your words own you as much as you do them, for better or worse.

If you think i'm crazy, look at the growing trend of rape victims being harassed to or near to suicide by people using the internet as a consequence free zone to "blame the victim" in ways that would have them charged with harassment if they said it face to face

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I think there is a bigger story here, people are still actually playing Runescape!

In all seriousness though it was good that they were able to catch this guy before something was done and the players that reported him should be given something for possibly saving lives.

Blackfire001

Mar 29, 2011
You know... this kinda makes me sad. What happened to freedom of speech? This is almost as bad as the "bomb scares" of the 90's. If anyone even said the word bomb while in school teacher flipped a desk. It was fucking stupid. Its the internet. Just because I say something doesn't mean its going to happen. I can say I'm going to sneak an explosive twinky into the white house and give obam-a-care a piece of his own medicine. Does that mean I'm going to do it? No. Do I have amendment of the constitution that allows me to say things like that? Hell yes I do. Does that give the authorities the right to arrest me because I said something? NO, It shouldn't. Because I as an American Citizen of the United States have the right to say whatever I want as long as its not personally harming someone. Arrests are to be made on people when the officer's have reasonable suspicion of a possible committed act. Saying something is NOT proper reasonable suspicion. Now if this kid had been going on and on to friends, frequented bomb building sites, THEN BOUGHT supplies for such a thing. That is reasonable suspicion. Its the acting upon knowledge this is the key. Not the knowledge or lack there of itself.

This kinda reminds me of the high profile baby killing trial back in florida. A young man has flipped the bird at a statement. The Judge has a sign up saying paraphrased "No talking or judgemental remakes."
He threw that guy in jail for 25 days. REally? So a judge who is SWORN INTO OFFICE TO PROTECT THE CONSTITUTION. In a STATE building took away a constitutional right? THIS is the uptight political bullshit this nation is coming to? This last part was a rant obviously. But it was to show a point of perspective. I don't care if this guy was being an asshat troll. I don't care if he was kidding or Not. The most he was doing was breaking their ROC.

PS I'm going to shoot up my school tomorrow.(Haven't been in school for years) With an exacto knife full of hate. It has 14 reloads because thats how many segments are on the blade. Also I'm going to kill myself after the manslughter using a ben and jerries tub of icecream and a small shovel. /mutha-F!@king sarcasm.

Blackfire001

Mar 29, 2011
Xarathox said:
Abandon4093 said:
Xarathox said:
Abandon4093 said:
Devoneaux said:
Abandon4093 said:
Desert Punk said:
Abandon4093 said:
By technicality, what he said (that he was going to shoot up his school, tomorrow) is an actual crime by definition of the first amendment. Therefore it is a law that he broke, and in no way was law enforcement in the wrong by arresting him for it.

Whether or not you agree with it is a moot point. And I'm not taking a side either way, just pointing out that he did, in fact, commit a crime by the definition of our constitution.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

My definition of the first amendment law what now? You need to try again. This kid broke no "amendment law."

Eternimus

Aug 19, 2010
It's funny because so many of you are screaming "Freedom of Speech!" which means you obviously know little to nothing of the constitution. The Supreme Court has said many times certain forms of speech are NOT protected. Threats are one of the categories, unless an average person would see it as bs. Blackfire001's blatant sarcasm and extreme point is obviously, hyperbole. Simply stating you're going to commit a shooting, or a bombing, including a date, makes the threat seem very real. That is not protected by the first amendment. A bit of research may help the lot of you claiming it's a constitutional violation make more informed posts in the future.

P.S. if a judge warns everyone verbally or with a sign, to be silent and/or respectful (as is their right in their courtroom, it qualifies as a court order) and you break that rules, they are within their right to cite you for contempt of court which means a fine and/or jail time.

The more you know...

Blackfire001

Mar 29, 2011
YES! You are accountable. However being held accountable for what you say and being arrested with no reasonable doubt is another. Its only thing to say something and get watched. Its another to be arrested for an idea.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
While I suspect he wasn't ACTUALLY planning on shooting up the place I admire the proactive attitude towards his "threats". Not sure if an arrest should have been made unless they found some more substantial evidence of a planned attack, but an investigation was certainly warranted.

Blackfire001

Mar 29, 2011
Their rights in the courtroom are NOT to supersede the constitution. Even more so in a STATE GOVERNMENT BUILDING. That is illegal. Yes some forms of "speech" are not protected. Verbal assault is the easiest of examples. However saying he's going to do something with no advertent history is not an arrestable offence. At least it isn't in many states. You have to have reasonable intent. You can NOT get intent on simply words alone. You have to have backing, you have to have context. You can't take someone on their word alone. Now to arrest him in the home and take the weapons from his father they would have to have a warrant. Meaning a judge had to ok the execution of arrest.(varies by state) I would LOVE to be the lawyer on this case. Because I want to see the evidence that gave the judge reasonable intent that this was a viable threat.

Blackfire001

Mar 29, 2011
"Thomas Frongillo of 44 Ennis Road, North Oxford, is studying criminal justice at Anna Maria and is currently in the police academy. He had been promised a job as a part-time officer with the Oakham Police Department, which was sponsoring him in the academy, his lawyer said."

So he knows weapon systems, and is a smart ass. I fail to see how that makes him a criminal.

"threatening to commit a crime and threatening a bombing or hijacking." I want to read the context of this law. Because I'll bet you a gallon of gas it doesn't cover context. Meaning it was a law signed that is so open and varied a bunny could be arrested for taking a fatty dump on a schools lawn.

Nov 28, 2007
For fuck's sake people, there is a huge difference between saying "I'll kill you!" to someone, and telling the same person "I'm going to go home, grab my gun, go over to your house, and kill you!" In the first one, you cannot determine if it is serious. In the second...there is clearly some planning going on there. It's not like the guy said "Man, school sucks. I should go shoot it up!" He said "I'm shooting up my school tomorrow". Granted, there may be some context, such as if anyone asked him "Hey, what are you doing tomorrow", and that was his joking response. But with the evidence the police have, should they just look at the threat and say, "Meh, we'll wait to see if he actually does it"?

Seriously, people complain about school shooting and say we need better laws, better security, and all that. But when the police take pre-emptive action based on evidence, they get criticized because he may not have been serious. What do you want from the justice system, precognition?