Jak and Daxter Collection or Sly Cooper Collection?

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Get Sly. It was Assassins Creed before Assassins Creed was Assassins Creed.

Also try to get the ratchet and Clank HD collection.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
I'm gonna vote against the curve and vote for Jak and Daxter. The reason behind this is that I'm not really a fan of Sly Cooper as a game series. I still love the Thievious Raccoonus and hold it as the best in the series because it was simple, fun, and just plain loveable. Then 2 happened and I hated the artwork. The whole visual style was a lot sharper (not refined, I mean "full of jagged edges") and the gameplay was changed a lot, but I finished it and accepted it as a conclusion to the story. Then they made a third game that made no sense story-wise, was incredibly repetitive gameplay-wise, and I couldn't even get through it, nevertheless make it to 100% completion.

As for the Jak games..... actually I only ever played the first one and a demo for the second. So personally, I'd rather venture into the unknown. I've heard that the Jak series ties together into a tight, coherent story, which is more than I'd say for Sly.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Solo-Wing said:
Also try to get the ratchet and Clank HD collection.
Already do. I own several PS3 collections - God of War (first 5 games), Rachet & Clank (first 3 games), inFAMOUS and Uncharted (first 2 games each). I usually get them pretty cheap and offer some very fun and very extensive gameplay. I'm not very interested in Killzone or Resistance just yet so I was contemplating whether to go with Sly or Jak next. I think I'm leaning more and more towards Sly.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Hell, throw a little Spyro in there and you've basically got my entire childhood.

Anyway, why not both? That's what I did. Although if you really have to only get one.....Man, I guess I would go with Sly. The Jak games took themselves just a LITTLE too seriously after the first game, and it doesn't come off quite as "badass" when you aren't 11. Don't get me wrong, they're still fantastic games, but the Sly games held up just a little bit better for me.

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
I've got both collections. I have Jak all on PS2 and the HD one. I had the most fun with the first Jak and Daxter. I gave up on Jak 2 and 3 at various points because of tough bosses.

I've played quite a bit of the first Sly game and enjoyed it a lot but, not on the same level as the first Jak. Haven't played 2 or 3.

I'd buy the Jak and Daxter HD collection purely because the first one is one of my favourite games ever.

rebelscum

Jun 8, 2009
Kingjackl said:
I've been thinking of picking up the HD trilogies for Sly and Ratchet & Clank. I want to get them on Vita since I imagine they'd look really crisp on the small screen, but I've heard they're not as good due to the lack of L2 and R2 buttons. Can anyone who's played them on Vita confirm?
I've played the Ratchet & Clank HD port. L2 and R2 are mapped to the back touchscreen, but since they're only used for strafing it's never a massive issue. The audio also occasionally glitches out so things like the music or the gunfire sounds cut out until you get in your ship and go somewhere else. It's not a perfect port, but I've never had it freeze or anything and I finished all three games without any problems.

I've not played the Sly HD trilogy on Vita, but from what I've read it's a far superior porting job.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:
Am I the only one who actually thinks Jak II is the best game out of all six games we are discussing here?

Yeah, it's challenging, but not unfairly so - the level design is good, the controls are responsive and the camera is very solid for a 3D platformer. I'm sorry, but if you think the game is "too hard", you're just a little crybaby. Have you ever played Contra? Ninja Gaiden? Playing God of War or Devil May Cry on the highest difficulty levels? That qualifies as hard. This? This is just pleasantly challenging.
I don't remember many missions from Jak 2, but one I remember vividly... It's were you have to defend the headquarters from like four giant killbots. These things soaked up damage like you wouldn't believe, and every time you died -- and you would die -- the ammo you spent on your last attempt would not spawn back. So everytime you died during a mission you would find yourself with less and less ammo.That's pretty darn unfair if you ask me.

The game wasn't hard because it was made to be hard, it was hard because it was awkwardly designed. You were fighting the game's weird checkpoint memory most of the time. As well as your character's primary form of attack (shooting) being implemented very poorly. You didn't even have a strafe button, you had to awkwardly walk yourself toward an enemy in order to aim at them. A problem that consisted throughout Jak 3.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
I don't remember many missions from Jak 2, but one I remember vividly... It's were you have to defend the headquarters from like four giant killbots. These things soaked up damage like you wouldn't believe, and every time you died -- and you would die -- the ammo you spent on your last attempt would not spawn back. So everytime you died during a mission you would find yourself with less and less ammo.That's pretty darn unfair if you ask me.

The game wasn't hard because it was made to be hard, it was hard because it was awkwardly designed. You were fighting the game's weird checkpoint memory most of the time. As well as your character's primary form of attack (shooting) being implemented very poorly. You didn't even have a strafe button, you had to awkwardly walk yourself toward an enemy in order to aim at them. A problem that consisted throughout Jak 3.
I HATED that mission in Jak 2, I actually reached a point where I'd just restart the game instead of continuing because of that dumb oversight (ammo count staying same after restart) making it impossible to win, ended up getting it at like the fifteenth time or so. That mission where you race that one douche through the city was also controller breaking. Ultimately as much as I love Jak 2 (and boy do I love it), I agree with you on that one, they used the game's flaws to make it hard and boy did it make the game infuriating at times, I actually look back at it sometimes and wonder how the hell I actually finished it haha.

Anyway, I absolutely adore both franchises so this is quite the tough one, if I had to pick one, I would probably lean more to Sly, but only because I'm a sucker for platforming games in general and boy did Sly deliver on that part overall. Maybe throw a coin and just randomly pick one :p You're going to have a blast regardless of which collection you go for.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Arqus_Zed said:
Am I the only one who actually thinks Jak II is the best game out of all six games we are discussing here?

Yeah, it's challenging, but not unfairly so - the level design is good, the controls are responsive and the camera is very solid for a 3D platformer. I'm sorry, but if you think the game is "too hard", you're just a little crybaby. Have you ever played Contra? Ninja Gaiden? Playing God of War or Devil May Cry on the highest difficulty levels? That qualifies as hard. This? This is just pleasantly challenging.

I think I know what mission you're on about... And I'm pretty sure there were only three bomb bots. I also seem to remember that there were some crates with ammo available when you start (or restart) the mission. If you use the vulcan fury or the blaster in combination with some wastelander moves, it's really not that hard (a tactic you can use in most combat-related situations, really).

As for the checkpoints: really? What, you need a checkpoint for every two steps you take? You're spoiled, you know that?

Same for the shooting element. First of all, primary form of attack? What? Let me explain it like this: it is not a Ratchet & Clank. It is not trying to be Ratchet & Clank. Ratchet & Clank did a great think mixing TPS elements (and later even some RPG-elements) in their game, but that is not what the Jak series tried to do. I thought the gunplay Naughty Dog implemented worked great within the rest of their free-flow combat system. Again, learn to use the wastelander moves (seriously, a strafe button would break the gameplay). It is not a shooter, it is an action/adventure/platformer with guns, that's why the combat is accompanied by all the platforming/collecting/puzzling/racing stuff. Flip that switch in your head and you'll be alright.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
How is this even a question, Jak and Daxter all the way! I love it! How the hell I managed to beat Jak 2 as a kid I'll never know...

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:
Casual Shinji said:

I think I know what mission you're on about... And I'm pretty sure there were only three bomb bots. I also seem to remember that there were some crates with ammo available when you start (or restart) the mission. If you use the vulcan fury or the blaster in combination with some wastelander moves, it's really not that hard (a tactic you can use in most combat-related situations, really).
Yes, crates that would often give you ammo for guns that were the least useful for the situation. I would find myself emptying my best gun into into those robots, only to get killed and respawn with an empty gun and ammo crates for guns that were already full up.

As for the checkpoints: really? What, you need a checkpoint for every two steps you take? You're spoiled, you know that?
No, I'd like a checkpoint that respawns me in the exact state I was in when I reached it, not have a selective memory and drop me all the way back have no ammo. That's a broken system.

Same for the shooting element. First of all, primary form of attack? What? Let me explain it like this: it is not a Ratchet & Clank. It is not trying to be Ratchet & Clank. Ratchet & Clank did a great think mixing TPS elements (and later even some RPG-elements) in their game, but that is not what the Jak series tried to do. I thought the gunplay Naughty Dog implemented worked great within the rest of their free-flow combat system. Again, learn to use the wastelander moves (seriously, a strafe button would break the gameplay). It is not a shooter, it is an action/adventure/platformer with guns, that's why the combat is accompanied by all the platforming/collecting/puzzling/racing stuff. Flip that switch in your head and you'll be alright.
You create a game where the player has atleast 4 types of guns, and pit them against a multitude of enemies with projectile weapons, you'd better be damn sure to give some form of aim so that you don't have to hose your ammo in whatever direction you happen to be facing. That's just common decency.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Yes, crates that would often give you ammo for guns that were the least useful for the situation. I would find myself emptying my best gun into into those robots, only to get killed and respawn with an empty gun and ammo crates for guns that were already full up.

No, I'd like a checkpoint that respawns me in the exact state I was in when I reached it, not have a selective memory and drop me all the way back have no ammo. That's a broken system.

You create a game where the player has atleast 4 types of guns, and pit them against a multitude of enemies with projectile weapons, you'd better be damn sure to give some form of aim so that you don't have to hose your ammo in whatever direction you happen to be facing. That's just common decency.
Like I said, spoiled. Do yourself a favor and never play DMC 3.

I never had a problem with the way the game handles guns. I just asked my brother, he never had a problem with the way the game handles guns. I just checked a few reviews and most of them even praise the way they've implemented guns. I think it's time to consider it's not the game, it's you.

Maybe it's just not you're kind of game, you know? Hell, you wanna see me ***** irrationally about something? Give me a race sim or an RTS, I just don't get those genres - and maybe that's what is really going on here, you just don't get the game, because it's just not your thing.

delta4062 said:
There was definitely 4, it's a mission maybe halfway through? If that, I know the one he's on about, it's a bullshit mission unless you spam a certain attack.

Even if it's not meant to be a shooter, if your main form of combat requires you to shoot then shooter controls shouldn't be too much to ask (especially when they made Uncharted, which features tight shooter controls). Even though the game works without them, it would of been a nice option. Jak is a jack of all trades master of none. It's why I wish so dearly for a Jak 4. It would be the greatest game of all time.
I googled it and the internet says you're wrong. It might have seemed like four, but I checked both a wikia and a guide and they both say "three". Also, like I said, Jak is an action/adventure/platformer type of game. Uncharted is an action/adventure/TPS kind of game.

Captcha: narrow-minded
I know captcha, I know, just leave it be.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:

I never had a problem with the way the game handles guns. I just asked my brother, he never had a problem with the way the game handles guns. I just checked a few reviews and most of them even praise the way they've implemented guns. I think it's time to consider it's not the game, it's you.

Maybe it's just not you're kind of game, you know? Hell, you wanna see me ***** irrationally about something? Give me a race sim or an RTS, I just don't get those genres - and maybe that's what is really going on here, you just don't get the game, because it's just not your thing.
You know, I've been perfectly civil throughout these posts, so about you cool your jets with the personal insults there, buddy -- I'm just criticizing a game, not a member of your family.

Supdupadog

Feb 23, 2010
While I haven't played Jaxter, I will always whole heartily recommend Sly cooper. First game is kind of a Spyro/ Crash Bandicoot riff but the other two are pretty awesome platformers.

And if you do like them, don't bother seeking out Sly Cooper 4. I wouldn't say it's worth the effort.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Arqus_Zed said:

You know, I've been perfectly civil throughout these posts, so about you cool your jets with the personal insults there, buddy -- I'm just criticizing a game, not a member of your family.
Insults? What insults? Have I been calling you names or anything? No, I'm just trying to understand your situation, maybe look at it from a different point of view. (Well, except for the "narrow-minded" quip maybe, but that was just a captcha joke, it would've been a sin to let that one slide.)

Look, I've made my points, you've made yours, let's just agree to disagree.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm thinking of purchasing either of these games.

Jak and Daxter Collection - contains Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, Jak II and Jak 3.

The Sly Collection - contains Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Sly 2: Band of Thieves and Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves.

Each collection is an HD remastering of the first three PS2 games in each series. Same deal, same cost.
Which should I go for? I'm a little more inclined towards Sly Cooper for the stealth thing but I'd like to hear out your opinions.
One thing I totally forgot to mention:

The Sly Collection is possibly the only PS3 title that ever worried me in regards to hardware. What I mean is when I put the disc in the game doesn't immediately load (the disc icon/avatar takes a while to appear) and I sometimes hear a noise I've never heard before. The disc itself looks perfect because I take *VERY* good care of my stuff, but the sound it makes...it's not a grinding noise, it's more like a slight knocking sound. Sometimes I have to eject/reinsert the disc and then it'll work fine. Otherwise, I've never noticed unusual sounds while playing any of the Cooper titles.

Just something to remember should you buy the single-disc trilogy.