Japan Ready To Ban "Gacha" Gameplay

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Japan Ready To Ban "Gacha" Gameplay

Stock in Japan's two leading social game companies have taken a serious tumble following word of a government crackdown.

Japanese social game companies Gree and DeNA agreed in April to impose limits [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116961-Japanese-Youth-Face-Game-Spending-Limits] upon the amount of money that young gamers can spend on their games each month. The caps were put into place to curb the out-of-control spending habits of kids who were blowing hundreds or thousands of dollars every month on games, presumably in hopes of preventing direct government action against the industry.

Unfortunately for them and others, it wasn't enough to head off intervention. Japan's Consumer Affairs Agency announced today that "kompu gacha" ["complete gacha"], a central mechanic in just about every DeNA and Gree game, may actually be illegal. "Gacha" is basically a draw for a random virtual item, while "complete gacha" requires that players draw a specific set of gacha items in order to earn another, rarer or more powerful item. It's rather like having to win the lottery four or five times in a row to claim the prize, and it's had the effect of driving players to blow huge amounts of money on extra gacha chances.

Things have apparently gotten bad enough that the Japanese government is planning to take a novel but rather extreme approach to bringing them under control. Instead of relying on spending limits, the Consumer Affairs Agency is going to ask social gaming companies to stop using the mechanic entirely, a change which could have a serious impact on revenues.

The situation is serious enough, and the news is bad enough, that both Gree and DeNA saw their share value tumble by more than 20 percent following the announcement. Other big-name companies felt the crunch too: Konami's stock dropped by 18 percent, Namco Bandai fell 9.5 percent and Capcom was down 6.6 percent.

And that may not be the end of the pain. "I wouldn't be surprised to see the government crack down on gacha once again [for example by forcing game providers to display the probability of getting certain cards], or push the industry to get the real-money trading phenomenon of virtual items under control," Dr. Serkan Toto, an expert on the Japanese social gaming market, told GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-05-07-gree-dena-stocks-plunge-as-japanese-government-cracks-down]. Neither Gree nor DeNA have commented.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
Good, next go for game companies that hire psychologists to use Skinner mechanics to increase revenues.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The caps were put into place to curb the out-of-control spending habits of kids who were blowing hundreds or thousands of dollars every months on games, presumably in hopes of preventing direct government action against the industry.
I can't make it too much farther than this because my brain is having trouble accepting the fact that kids are spending hundreds to thousands of dollars monthly on online gaming. My brain can't accept the fact that so many children are spending that kind of money on anything, let alone online games. Are they all stealing their parents credit cards? Is everyone in Japan just rich?! I don't understand...

Grinnbarr said:
Stick the two company names together and you get GreeDeNA.

No? I though it was funny.
That's pretty good! Made me laugh and I award you 5 points.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
What the hell? How could so many people be stupid enough to blow so much money on something they know is so unlikely just for some item in a game? I couldn't even imagine EA or Activision trying to pull something like that. I think even they would realise that people would just tell them to go fuck themselves.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Scrustle said:
What the hell? How could so many people be stupid enough to blow so much money on something they know is so unlikely just for some item in a game? I couldn't even imagine EA or Activision trying to pull something like that. I think even they would realise that people would just tell them to go fuck themselves.
It;s been proven that you are _more_ likely to work for something if you do it like this.

It's pure gambling exploiting the way our brains aren't great at probability :(

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
In terms of blowing sizable amounts of money on sheer probability, I think I'll stick to football betting.

Also, this story is pretty interesting considering gambling is illegal in Japan. Unless this is a loophole or not really "proper gambling".

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
"that's nothing like buying packs to randomly unlock player types!"

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Intrestingly enough, RuneScape implemented a mechanic quite similar to this about halfway through March.

Pissed off alot of players too.

Scrustle said:
What the hell? How could so many people be stupid enough to blow so much money on something they know is so unlikely just for some item in a game?
People in Japan are much more vulnerable to things like this. Im not sure why, but they are.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
More like "Gotcha" Gameplay.
Now i prefer your "Gotcha *****" style of gameplay, sort of like this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9NYYewCSxo].

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
It sounds quite a bit like the TF2 crate system. You pay $2.50 to get a key to open up a crate. That crate can have any number of strange weapons depending on the crate (virtually worthless), a couple of hats with about 25% chance of getting one of the two I believe (not worth much), and a 1% chance of getting an unusual hat, which are random between the majority of available hats and come in a variety of random effects. So the chances of getting the hat you want with the effect you want is about as low as you winning the lottery I'd guess. That's why some unusuals with better effects can go for hundreds of dollars.

So, that said, could this impact TF2 in Japan if it is in Japan?

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
When the threshold from 'gaming' to 'gambling' it must be stopped for minors.

besides that most gambling venues are in the hands of the Yakuza anyway this is a good sign.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
Think about it, if your a game developer, why take your time making good games when you can make a crappy text based flash game and market it to the mindless masses?