Japanese Engineer Makes Creepy Android Puppet

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Japanese Engineer Makes Creepy Android Puppet

A Japanese roboticist has created the most realistic robot to date, and it's as creepy as it is impressive.

Say hello to the Geminoid-F, the latest creation from engineer Hiroshi Ishiguro, one of Japan's most famous roboticists. The Geminoid-F was designed to mimic a particular person - in this case the girl you see in the video - and can copy its operators facial expressions using a the twelve actuators in its face, and a camera system that can follow a human face and send the data to the robot.

The Geminoid-F is eerily life-like, and while it's not going to pass for human any time soon - it's a little too uncanny valley inducing for that - it's still a very impressive copy of an actual person. Ishiguro has plans to sell doppelganger robots to anyone who wants one, and has the $111,000 dollars to spend.

For some reason, a quote from Terminator keeps coming to mind: "The 600 series had rubber skin. We spotted them easy, but these are new." The revolution draws ever closer my brothers and sisters. Be ready.

Source: CrunchGear [http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/04/05/creepy-creepier-japans-new-android-video/]

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Sure we'll have terminators, but then we'll move onto Cylons and they'll make out with you as you explode, so it's not all bad.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Seriously dude, scientist are pulling so many stuff out of their ass, their just making 2012 seem more and more believable.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
The Terminators are coming soon. We must cleanse this world of robots. Kill it! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Nov 5, 2007
Just a question of time before it tries to kill the original woman and take her place.

But yeah, this is pretty deep down the uncanny valley.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
ssgt splatter said:
Ok first, freaky.
Second, what exactly IS the Uncanny valley?
Uncanny valley is exactly what you highlighted in your first sentence, that freakiness people feel towards human-looking androids.
This is better here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

saphirekosmos

Dec 25, 2008
It is pretty much and area in which something tries to be human looking, but just doesn't quite make it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley This explains it better.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Sure we'll have terminators, but then we'll move onto Cylons and they'll make out with you as you explode, so it's not all bad.
Hehe. Then we take a little adventer "Beyond the red line" for four seasons :p

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Is it strange that I don't find such androids creepy at all ? (or perhaps I'm one too and only think I'm human o_O)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow...thats pretty...wow, lol.

Well, congrats to him on been bale to creep everyone on the internet out...the question is what exactly he plans do to next...

sune26

Not sure what to put here
Apr 13, 2009
Well this cant possibly do anything good....
A weirdo rich enough to buy this will probably use for "things"
And this brings the dreaded robot revolution even closer.
If they suddenly make a robot that can regenerate itself and consists of liquid metal, im getting my pitchfork.

sune26

Not sure what to put here
Apr 13, 2009
wildpeaks said:
Is it strange that I don't find such androids creepy at all ? (or perhaps I'm one too and only think I'm human o_O)
Try jabbing yourself with something pointy and see if you're made of metal

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
sune26 said:
wildpeaks said:
Try jabbing yourself with something pointy and see if you're made of metal
That wouldn't mean much, I could be a flesh and plasma-based android [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Recall_2070].

Also, it hurts :D

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Jaredin said:
Wow...thats pretty...wow, lol.

Well, congrats to him on been bale to creep everyone on the internet out...the question is what exactly he plans do to next...
Do you REALLY want to know? Well, alright, its your funeral.

As soon as he is done perfecting the sex mode for this android he will begin working on a 10 year old cat eared maid version.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
ssgt splatter said:
Ok first, freaky.
In case you don't feel like reading the wikipedia article everyone keeps linking you to, the simplest explanation is that as you increase a robots likeness to a human, we relate to it more strongly... until you reach the point where it's an almost perfect replica of a human, which triggers a response of revulsion instead of empathy. When the replica gets to the point where it's virtually indistinguishable from a human, our response switches back to empathy, hence the 'uncanny valley', where androids are just real enough to freak us out but not real enough to fool us.

This explains why people can love Johnny 5 but feel repulsed by the dead-eyed mannequins cavorting about in video games, even though one is obviously just a robot with some human characteristics and mannerisms, and the other is a far more realistic replica of a human. The uncanny valley is the reason the Polar Express film was so damn creepy - instead of presenting us with well rendered obvious cartoons like say... The Incredibles, it gave us cartoons that looked so much like real humans that the differences between us and them became all that most people could focus on.

And that's what the uncanny valley boils down to: when a character/robot/what have you isn't attempting to be a perfect copy of a human but incorporates human-like qualities, we notice the similarities between us and it and our reaction is therefore positive. When it's clearly supposed to be mimicking us but not doing so perfectly, all we see are the differences, the little ways it fails, the "dead eyes" and the like.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
ma55ter_fett said:
The future is looking good for us Bladerunner want-a-be's
That is a job I wouldn't mind having. Can you imagine how awesome you'd feel writing 'Bladerunner' in the 'current occupation' box on a census form?:D

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
wildpeaks said:
nope, we're just super realistic spam bots, but thanks for pointing out your believes, I try to, too : D

Trebort

Duke of Cheesecake
Feb 25, 2010
You can see the murder in her eyes. As soon as her human master goes to sleep she is going to use the fridge, microwave and other appliances to make copies of herself, and then murder her human maker in his sleep, then move on to the neighbors, harvesting their biological components to make her new race of Cyborgs.

She is brilliant though, but needs killing with fire.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
For some reason while watching this I was thinking of the quote from Robot Chicken "Yeah, but can you f&%k it?"

I wouldn't mind selling my house for a clone of Alison Hannigan...

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
Monshroud said:
For some reason while watching this I was thinking of the quote from Robot Chicken "Yeah, but can you f&%k it?"

I wouldn't mind selling my house for a clone of Alison Hannigan...
You, sir, just read my mind. If I had a house.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Dear Lord! It's started already! The robots will be made to look exactly like us and we will not be able to tell who is what. Then they wil start the robotic uprising and humanity will live in terror under our new robotic overlords because there will be a robotic secret police composed entirely of androids that look like humans that will be used to spy on us!

Of course I'm not being serious...or am I?...of course I'm not!

Still, that is a rather impressive feat of technology...that will eventually spell humanity's doom!

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
"Alright, we will now be taking questions and--"
"Can you fuck it?"
"What?"
"Can you fuck it?"
"... Uh, we were mostly concerned with the facial expressions, so, no, we haven't put in anything... anatomically correct--"
*Everyone gets up and leaves*

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
It reminded me of Data form star trek so it looks like a human pretending to be a robot, but that may have been the hydraulic noises throwing me off.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
This would be a nice way to keep your house from being robbed, leave it in the window for everyone to see

WrcklessIntent

Apr 16, 2009
steam_marc said:
Sadly, this is more realistic than someone out of Chobits.
I would prefer chobits for the reason they are cute and the fact they are easily distinguished as robots cause of the ears. This is trying to look exactly like a human and creeps me out

WrcklessIntent

Apr 16, 2009
TheDrunkNinja said:
"Can you fuck it?"
"What?"
"Can you fuck it?"
"... Uh, we were mostly concerned with the facial expressions, so, no, we haven't put in anything... anatomically correct--"
You sir just made my day. XD

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Oh boy, another humanoid robot that does f**k-all. I am sick and tired of brilliant Japanese roboticists building useless humanoid robots rather than functional ugly ones. It's all about appearances, rather than results. Why else are all the humanoid robots resembling attractive females? Why else are they only revealed to the public once they're complete?

Funding depends on showing spectacles like this, flyers sent out to every big media corporation saying, "look into the eyes of the future". Thing is, it shouldn't have identifiable eyes at all. In order to truly perceive its surroundings, it would need a head that consists of only sensors and receivers. That's ugly, so that's not happening.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I don't find that too creepy. It's more realistic than most wax models, and those really freak me out.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
incinerate94 said:
TheDrunkNinja said:
"Can you fuck it?"
"What?"
"Can you fuck it?"
You sir just made my day. XD
Thank Seth Green. I was just quoting him. :D

sarge1942

May 24, 2009
just looking at the picture at first glance i couldn't tell that the robot was in the picture... i'm going with "kill it with fire", don't know about the rest of you but that seems like the best option... and also everyone carry a magnet with you at all times(just in case).

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
TheDrunkNinja said:
"Can you fuck it?"
"What?"
"Can you fuck it?"
I'm not the only one who has watched Robot Chicken :D
although there is what (I think) is called "Realdolls" for...such a purpose :p
until they are able to have smaller hydraulics for the general public, it will remain easy to know which ones are humans and which ones aren't

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
PrototypeC said:
Oh boy, another humanoid robot that does f**k-all. I am sick and tired of brilliant Japanese roboticists building useless humanoid robots rather than functional ugly ones. It's all about appearances, rather than results. Why else are all the humanoid robots resembling attractive females? Why else are they only revealed to the public once they're complete?

Funding depends on showing spectacles like this, flyers sent out to every big media corporation saying, "look into the eyes of the future". Thing is, it shouldn't have identifiable eyes at all. In order to truly perceive its surroundings, it would need a head that consists of only sensors and receivers. That's ugly, so that's not happening.
That is already happening. In Japan robotics and automation are very prolific. There are robots that make ramen! Due to the nation's ageing population woes, robotics and automation are becoming more and more important.

This robot here represents just one small facet of robotics in Japan. The 'ugly but usefull' facet is already well underway and active in industry, science and manufacturing.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
I'd much rather have helpful yet ugly C3PO-esque robots than creepy ass human-like robots who are completely useless. Minus the effiminate prissyness, of course.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
ssgt splatter said:
Ok first, freaky.
Basically it looks human but doesn't move like one. Pixar has determined that the valley can be avoided by making the character not look like a human even if it moves like one. Videogames often have characters that look and move like humans even if they're slightly off and they're not uncanny. Robots just tend to have really crappy movement.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
TheDrunkNinja said:
"Can you fuck it?"
"What?"
"Can you fuck it?"
I'll willing to bet good money that question will be up on their FAQ very shortly.