Japanese Engineer Makes Creepy Android Puppet

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Japanese Engineer Makes Creepy Android Puppet

A Japanese roboticist has created the most realistic robot to date, and it's as creepy as it is impressive.

Say hello to the Geminoid-F, the latest creation from engineer Hiroshi Ishiguro, one of Japan's most famous roboticists. The Geminoid-F was designed to mimic a particular person - in this case the girl you see in the video - and can copy its operators facial expressions using a the twelve actuators in its face, and a camera system that can follow a human face and send the data to the robot.

The Geminoid-F is eerily life-like, and while it's not going to pass for human any time soon - it's a little too uncanny valley inducing for that - it's still a very impressive copy of an actual person. Ishiguro has plans to sell doppelganger robots to anyone who wants one, and has the $111,000 dollars to spend.

For some reason, a quote from Terminator keeps coming to mind: "The 600 series had rubber skin. We spotted them easy, but these are new." The revolution draws ever closer my brothers and sisters. Be ready.

Source: CrunchGear [http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/04/05/creepy-creepier-japans-new-android-video/]

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Sure we'll have terminators, but then we'll move onto Cylons and they'll make out with you as you explode, so it's not all bad.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Seriously dude, scientist are pulling so many stuff out of their ass, their just making 2012 seem more and more believable.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
The Terminators are coming soon. We must cleanse this world of robots. Kill it! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Nov 5, 2007
Just a question of time before it tries to kill the original woman and take her place.

But yeah, this is pretty deep down the uncanny valley.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
ssgt splatter said:
Ok first, freaky.
Second, what exactly IS the Uncanny valley?
Uncanny valley is exactly what you highlighted in your first sentence, that freakiness people feel towards human-looking androids.
This is better here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

saphirekosmos

Dec 25, 2008
It is pretty much and area in which something tries to be human looking, but just doesn't quite make it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley This explains it better.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Sure we'll have terminators, but then we'll move onto Cylons and they'll make out with you as you explode, so it's not all bad.
Hehe. Then we take a little adventer "Beyond the red line" for four seasons :p

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Is it strange that I don't find such androids creepy at all ? (or perhaps I'm one too and only think I'm human o_O)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow...thats pretty...wow, lol.

Well, congrats to him on been bale to creep everyone on the internet out...the question is what exactly he plans do to next...

sune26

Not sure what to put here
Apr 13, 2009
Well this cant possibly do anything good....
A weirdo rich enough to buy this will probably use for "things"
And this brings the dreaded robot revolution even closer.
If they suddenly make a robot that can regenerate itself and consists of liquid metal, im getting my pitchfork.

sune26

Not sure what to put here
Apr 13, 2009
wildpeaks said:
Is it strange that I don't find such androids creepy at all ? (or perhaps I'm one too and only think I'm human o_O)
Try jabbing yourself with something pointy and see if you're made of metal

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
sune26 said:
wildpeaks said:
Try jabbing yourself with something pointy and see if you're made of metal
That wouldn't mean much, I could be a flesh and plasma-based android [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Recall_2070].

Also, it hurts :D