Japanese Engineer Makes Creepy Android Puppet

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
ssgt splatter said:
Ok first, freaky.
Second, what exactly IS the Uncanny valley?
In case you don't feel like reading the wikipedia article everyone keeps linking you to, the simplest explanation is that as you increase a robots likeness to a human, we relate to it more strongly... until you reach the point where it's an almost perfect replica of a human, which triggers a response of revulsion instead of empathy. When the replica gets to the point where it's virtually indistinguishable from a human, our response switches back to empathy, hence the 'uncanny valley', where androids are just real enough to freak us out but not real enough to fool us.

This explains why people can love Johnny 5 but feel repulsed by the dead-eyed mannequins cavorting about in video games, even though one is obviously just a robot with some human characteristics and mannerisms, and the other is a far more realistic replica of a human. The uncanny valley is the reason the Polar Express film was so damn creepy - instead of presenting us with well rendered obvious cartoons like say... The Incredibles, it gave us cartoons that looked so much like real humans that the differences between us and them became all that most people could focus on.

And that's what the uncanny valley boils down to: when a character/robot/what have you isn't attempting to be a perfect copy of a human but incorporates human-like qualities, we notice the similarities between us and it and our reaction is therefore positive. When it's clearly supposed to be mimicking us but not doing so perfectly, all we see are the differences, the little ways it fails, the "dead eyes" and the like.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
ma55ter_fett said:
The future is looking good for us Bladerunner want-a-be's
That is a job I wouldn't mind having. Can you imagine how awesome you'd feel writing 'Bladerunner' in the 'current occupation' box on a census form?:D

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
wildpeaks said:
Is it strange that I don't find such androids creepy at all ? (or perhaps I'm one too and only think I'm human o_O)
nope, we're just super realistic spam bots, but thanks for pointing out your believes, I try to, too : D

Trebort

Duke of Cheesecake
Feb 25, 2010
You can see the murder in her eyes. As soon as her human master goes to sleep she is going to use the fridge, microwave and other appliances to make copies of herself, and then murder her human maker in his sleep, then move on to the neighbors, harvesting their biological components to make her new race of Cyborgs.

She is brilliant though, but needs killing with fire.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
For some reason while watching this I was thinking of the quote from Robot Chicken "Yeah, but can you f&%k it?"

I wouldn't mind selling my house for a clone of Alison Hannigan...

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
Monshroud said:
For some reason while watching this I was thinking of the quote from Robot Chicken "Yeah, but can you f&%k it?"

I wouldn't mind selling my house for a clone of Alison Hannigan...
You, sir, just read my mind. If I had a house.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Dear Lord! It's started already! The robots will be made to look exactly like us and we will not be able to tell who is what. Then they wil start the robotic uprising and humanity will live in terror under our new robotic overlords because there will be a robotic secret police composed entirely of androids that look like humans that will be used to spy on us!

Of course I'm not being serious...or am I?...of course I'm not!

Still, that is a rather impressive feat of technology...that will eventually spell humanity's doom!

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
"Alright, we will now be taking questions and--"
"Can you fuck it?"
"What?"
"Can you fuck it?"
"... Uh, we were mostly concerned with the facial expressions, so, no, we haven't put in anything... anatomically correct--"
*Everyone gets up and leaves*

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
It reminded me of Data form star trek so it looks like a human pretending to be a robot, but that may have been the hydraulic noises throwing me off.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
This would be a nice way to keep your house from being robbed, leave it in the window for everyone to see

WrcklessIntent

Apr 16, 2009
steam_marc said:
Sadly, this is more realistic than someone out of Chobits.
I would prefer chobits for the reason they are cute and the fact they are easily distinguished as robots cause of the ears. This is trying to look exactly like a human and creeps me out

WrcklessIntent

Apr 16, 2009
TheDrunkNinja said:
"Alright, we will now be taking questions and--"
"Can you fuck it?"
"What?"
"Can you fuck it?"
"... Uh, we were mostly concerned with the facial expressions, so, no, we haven't put in anything... anatomically correct--"
*Everyone gets up and leaves*
You sir just made my day. XD