Japanese Engineer Makes Creepy Android Puppet

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Oh boy, another humanoid robot that does f**k-all. I am sick and tired of brilliant Japanese roboticists building useless humanoid robots rather than functional ugly ones. It's all about appearances, rather than results. Why else are all the humanoid robots resembling attractive females? Why else are they only revealed to the public once they're complete?

Funding depends on showing spectacles like this, flyers sent out to every big media corporation saying, "look into the eyes of the future". Thing is, it shouldn't have identifiable eyes at all. In order to truly perceive its surroundings, it would need a head that consists of only sensors and receivers. That's ugly, so that's not happening.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I don't find that too creepy. It's more realistic than most wax models, and those really freak me out.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
incinerate94 said:
TheDrunkNinja said:
"Alright, we will now be taking questions and--"
"Can you fuck it?"
"What?"
"Can you fuck it?"
"... Uh, we were mostly concerned with the facial expressions, so, no, we haven't put in anything... anatomically correct--"
*Everyone gets up and leaves*
You sir just made my day. XD
Thank Seth Green. I was just quoting him. :D

sarge1942

May 24, 2009
just looking at the picture at first glance i couldn't tell that the robot was in the picture... i'm going with "kill it with fire", don't know about the rest of you but that seems like the best option... and also everyone carry a magnet with you at all times(just in case).

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
TheDrunkNinja said:
"Can you fuck it?"
"What?"
"Can you fuck it?"
"... Uh, we were mostly concerned with the facial expressions, so, no, we haven't put in anything... anatomically correct--"
I'm not the only one who has watched Robot Chicken :D
although there is what (I think) is called "Realdolls" for...such a purpose :p
until they are able to have smaller hydraulics for the general public, it will remain easy to know which ones are humans and which ones aren't

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
PrototypeC said:
Oh boy, another humanoid robot that does f**k-all. I am sick and tired of brilliant Japanese roboticists building useless humanoid robots rather than functional ugly ones. It's all about appearances, rather than results. Why else are all the humanoid robots resembling attractive females? Why else are they only revealed to the public once they're complete?

Funding depends on showing spectacles like this, flyers sent out to every big media corporation saying, "look into the eyes of the future". Thing is, it shouldn't have identifiable eyes at all. In order to truly perceive its surroundings, it would need a head that consists of only sensors and receivers. That's ugly, so that's not happening.
That is already happening. In Japan robotics and automation are very prolific. There are robots that make ramen! Due to the nation's ageing population woes, robotics and automation are becoming more and more important.

This robot here represents just one small facet of robotics in Japan. The 'ugly but usefull' facet is already well underway and active in industry, science and manufacturing.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
I'd much rather have helpful yet ugly C3PO-esque robots than creepy ass human-like robots who are completely useless. Minus the effiminate prissyness, of course.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
ssgt splatter said:
Ok first, freaky.
Second, what exactly IS the Uncanny valley?
Basically it looks human but doesn't move like one. Pixar has determined that the valley can be avoided by making the character not look like a human even if it moves like one. Videogames often have characters that look and move like humans even if they're slightly off and they're not uncanny. Robots just tend to have really crappy movement.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
TheDrunkNinja said:
"Can you fuck it?"
"What?"
"Can you fuck it?"
I'll willing to bet good money that question will be up on their FAQ very shortly.