Jan 9, 2007
Amethyst Wind said:
Susan Arendt said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Kenko said:
Amethyst Wind said:
I never understood speed runs as a concept, it promotes purposefully skipping potential enjoyment.
I think they do it after theyve beaten the game and then do it becauese they can and its a challange in itself to do it.
I might have believed that if they weren't all so dead set on publishing it after completing it.
If you did something that amazing, wouldn't you want to share it with the world using the technology of today?

It's not like he's running banner ads pointing to his youtube channel.
Well no tbh, sure I'd want to share it with my gamer friends who would appreciate it, not random faceless strangers that I'll never meet/care about.
But surely you can understand why other people might want accolades? Especially if his friends also do speed runs, they're just going to smile, nod, and get on with it if he shows them what he did. Hell, they may even have helped him figure it all out.

I think some folks here are misunderstanding speed runs. The people who do them aren't only experiencing the game that way. They can't - they have to play and play and play the game until they know it SO well that they can just blaze right through it. So they're playing the game the way they're intended - the speed run is just the end result of all of that play time. It's similar to back in the old days, when we'd flip the Atari joystick upside down to give ourselves an extra challenge after we'd beaten a game into submission. Just something new to try with a game you know inside and out.
In a theoretical sense I can understand why other people might want accolades, but I can't say I ever agree with it on any level. Accolades should be a by-product of whatever it is you're doing. Performing a speed run for the challenge is fine. Performing a speed run to get shallow praise is not. Nobody who actually tries to be a hero ever becomes one.

We know speed runs are subsequent playthroughs, but that doesn't mean that they need to do them in such a way that they miss out on what made them enjoy the game in the first place. Subsequent playthroughs can in-fact be more entertaining by your hindsight, you recognise the early clues you didn't pick up on, you use carried-over abilities to engage in more cathartic activities etc, but I just can't help thinking that when the only enjoyment you'll get from finishing a game is that you can do it quickly/in a more challenging way, it's probably time to go find a new game.
You're making two pretty big assumptions:

1. That the only reason he's doing a speed run is for the praise. Maybe he just plain thinks they're fun. What's wrong with also sharing that with people? It's quite possible he'd still be doing speed runs even if there was no such thing as YouTube that let people see what he was doing.

2. That doing a speed run is his only enjoyment from finishing a game. You have no idea how many times he's played, how he's played, if he replays over and over just to admire the architecture of the buildings. It's certainly possible that he's working with a single-minded goal of "conquering" this game only to toss it aside for the next one, but it's equally possible that he played Demon's Souls a thousand different ways before working on the speed run.

orangecharger

Nov 13, 2009
rockavitch said:
Impressive but not as difficult as some would think, you just run through the level (on any game really) to the end, kill the boss quickly with the knowledge you have from doing so many times already, rinse and repeat.

Still impressive to a certain degree but highly highly boring to both do and watch.
Ding Ding! We have a winner. I look to waste time both gaming and on the internet, but speed runs, and WATCHING a speed run I think I will take a pass. Impressive that the guy had 54:54 of his live to spend basically running through a game he's clearly played through a few times. Did I say impressive. Perhaps that's not the word. :)

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
There is no way he could have done it without beating it before the speed run. So it's not that impressive really. I can speed run Devil May Cry 3 in under an hour.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Susan Arendt said:

1. That the only reason he's doing a speed run is for the praise. Maybe he just plain thinks they're fun. What's wrong with also sharing that with people? It's quite possible he'd still be doing speed runs even if there was no such thing as YouTube that let people see what he was doing.

2. That doing a speed run is his only enjoyment from finishing a game. You have no idea how many times he's played, how he's played, if he replays over and over just to admire the architecture of the buildings. It's certainly possible that he's working with a single-minded goal of "conquering" this game only to toss it aside for the next one, but it's equally possible that he played Demon's Souls a thousand different ways before working on the speed run.
True, I am assuming. It's an assumption made from how I'm interpreting events. I'm something of a subjectivist, all I have is my own viewpoint on things, I also subscribe to the idea that there can be more than one truth to anything, which is also dependent upon viewpoint. I'm not sure whether that's really something I should apologise for or not, so I'll opt not to.

1. If it's possible that he would be speed-running regardless of Youtube then why does he need to involve it at all? My interpretation is that he's looking for some props for doing something which should be solely based on his viewpoint, and therefore only he is able to decide whether or not it is worthwhile (if it is indeed the case that his reason for speedruns is that they are fun/a challenge for him). If he's doing speedruns for himself then outside opinion shouldn't matter to him.

2. 'Only enjoyment' was bad wording on my part. I should have phrased it closer to 'where he gets his enjoyment of the game at the time'. I'll retract another assumption here, which is how I'd see it, that he's engaging in speedruns *because* he's run out of other ways to enjoy the game. As I said before, subsequent playthroughs can give different enjoyment each time, I'm not disputing that he could have played it a thousand different ways before (this is important) attempting the speed run, rather that I, and apparently you, seem to think that speed runs are something you do on subsequent playthroughs after exhausting all other avenues of enjoyment.

*Shrugs* Might not be how you meant it, I won't claim to know for sure.

If, as you say, the speed run is the 1001st playthrough, it might've been an idea to stop at 1000. I see speed runs as using a game as a context for a different mechanic of enjoyment, and I'm not sure that does any justice to the games themselves.

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
Sinclose said:
I saw a Japanese gamer finishing a Tetris game within minutes and play with invisible blocks during the credits.
<youtube=8kqKOlcaZuI>

Still impresses me though o_O
2 things: the first, I cannot watch that video without constantly seeing Cptn Barbossa saying "It's not possible" and then Cptn Sparrow "Not probable!"
2nd: Japanese guy has WAY too much time on his hands.

Poopie McGhee

Über Sparrow Kicker
Aug 26, 2009
Susan Arendt said:

Most of the games I have beaten, I go back through later to admire the architecture and background things... I am still amazed on the last level of Halo 3. Looking up at the sky. I stand still and ride out my impending doom (it's a real cool skybox). Or on Bayonetta, how some levels, you're fighting ON the enemies. It brings a tear to my eyes sometimes, just knowing how hard someone worked to bring stuff like that out into the public, only to have hardly anyone stop to see it. Sure they get payed, but still... That's one reason why Reach's Forge mode is one of my favorite things to fool around with. Messing around with the Physics and looking at the scenery. Also why I spent well over 100 hours on my first Fallout 3 playthrough. I can, however, see the enjoyment speedrunning has to offer.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Dang, I could beat in a couple of hours but not that fast. Maybe 2 or 3. After playing the game enough, it gets really easy.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Well, it looks like the true demon of Boletaria has appeared at last. The true Demon's Souls begins here!!

*cries in corner*

I still can't beat the damn game.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
I know Demon's Souls pretty well but there's no way I could pull off shit like that. That was damn impressive.

My version of self imposed Demon's Souls challenge is beat the game with a naked boxer. Its REALLY hard.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
You'll all forgive my ignorance when I say, after watching those videos, I don't see what all the fuss about this game is about.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Susan Arendt said:

read the description on the Youtube channel.

"Please comment and introduce this movie to your friends.
Im God who can beat my time? no one"

Egotistical much?

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Sinclose said:
I saw a Japanese gamer finishing a Tetris game within minutes and play with invisible blocks during the credits.
<youtube=8kqKOlcaZuI>

Still impresses me though o_O
*Spits my Tea* o3o PFFTT

WTF !!?!?! How does he do that shit with invisible Blocks!??!

I feel this song is Necessary

<youtube=9x9Md8mSKik>

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Amethyst Wind said:
True, I am assuming. It's an assumption made from how I'm interpreting events. I'm something of a subjectivist, all I have is my own viewpoint on things, I also subscribe to the idea that there can be more than one truth to anything, which is also dependent upon viewpoint. I'm not sure whether that's really something I should apologise for or not, so I'll opt not to.

1. If it's possible that he would be speed-running regardless of Youtube then why does he need to involve it at all? My interpretation is that he's looking for some props for doing something which should be solely based on his viewpoint, and therefore only he is able to decide whether or not it is worthwhile (if it is indeed the case that his reason for speedruns is that they are fun/a challenge for him). If he's doing speedruns for himself then outside opinion shouldn't matter to him.

2. 'Only enjoyment' was bad wording on my part. I should have phrased it closer to 'where he gets his enjoyment of the game at the time'. I'll retract another assumption here, which is how I'd see it, that he's engaging in speedruns *because* he's run out of other ways to enjoy the game. As I said before, subsequent playthroughs can give different enjoyment each time, I'm not disputing that he could have played it a thousand different ways before (this is important) attempting the speed run, rather that I, and apparently you, seem to think that speed runs are something you do on subsequent playthroughs after exhausting all other avenues of enjoyment.

*Shrugs* Might not be how you meant it, I won't claim to know for sure.

If, as you say, the speed run is the 1001st playthrough, it might've been an idea to stop at 1000. I see speed runs as using a game as a context for a different mechanic of enjoyment, and I'm not sure that does any justice to the games themselves.
I find it so frustrating reading this. Firstly, I'd like to say that I don't intend to offend you or accuse you of anything but it feels like you're purposely not understanding.

You admitted that you're making assumtions but you're not accepting (or I fail to see you accepting) that your assumptions are a) not the only ones b) rather obtuse c) rather, what word to use, abrasive? I'm not sure, it feels like you're looking for a problem with it.

I think the main thing is that he propably thinks speed runs are fucking awesome.

The most logical answer (using Occam's Razor) is that he was planning on doing a speed run, he did the speed run, he wanted to show someone what he'd done, he showed someone what he'd done.

Adding in the subtext of attention seeking or personal glorification just complicates the issue and makes the guy look like a tool.

Say for a moment that you play golf, you got a hole in one on like the hardest hole on the hardest course in the world, you think someone might want to see that, you put it on youtube.
Does this mean you're doing any of the things that some people (probably not just you) seem to think this guy is doing.

On the topic of enjoyment from the game and stopping playing maybe he speed runs all his games, maybe he thinks speed runs are the most awesome thing you can do in a game, maybe he doesn't want to play through the way you do.
I know you're not posting your naked hardcore Dragon Age run as an elven rouge or your melee only halo 3 run on youtube but this guy did and I honestly think that anyone who's even heard about the game can appreciate the feat, the other examples I gave may be impressive too, but not everyone will appreciate them.

I think the major point here is that, the way I see it, you're imagining that you've done this and what you would be feeling or thinking as you're doing it.

He probably loves speed runs, he is probably proud of himself, I know I'm proud of him.

I hope I've clarified something, or at least made sence.

kir4

May 1, 2008
That's so amazing. He makes it look so easy. But you can tell he almost dies a few times. Definitely a close call.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Amethyst Wind said:
So, are there "approved" ways to play games now, and speedrunning isn't one of them? Maybe he just thinks it's fun and you don't? It's simple, really.

Yes, he put it on youtube. He may have put it there expecting to get attention. One way or another, he got it (it's on the news page of this site). So what? If you must absolutely exclude the possibility of getting attention as a contributing motivation, then what artists, sports people, media people would do?

Alas, what would anyone do? If I do something worthwile, of course I want people to take notice. You may not agree that what he did was worthwile, but clearly there are people who do think it is. So that's it. No need to get so irked about it because he got all that attention and you didn't :)

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
That really takes the piss. I had trouble on some of those bosses, just for him to come along and two-shot them. grrrr. It also shows how over-powered magic is in the game. When I was reading strategy guides for bosses people would usually focus on the magic side because the games so much harder as pure melee at times.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I only watched the last vid and was impressed with how they bypassed the reapers by jumping off the cliff, countered the fireball traps by rolling into them and totally ignoring both dragons.

I wasn't impressed at the gratuitous soul arrow spam, or that they obviously got such high stats on an early cycle since they suck at blocking or dodging yet they take minimal damage.

I'm just curious what shield they were using since I've played the hell out of 2 versions of the game and don't recognize it at all. I kept pretty much all the gear I acquired and a little wooden one with orange dots on it is something I'd remember lol

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
Impressive, especially some of the ways used to avoid traps, mobs and even just generally cutting time down. Although I'm not going to lie, when I saw the description of the video it made me lose respect(If you didn't see it, he called himself God. Capital g intended.)

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
This is a very impressive speedrun. The previous run I found was 1:05, so cutting it down to 0:55 is a significant jump. The new bits are very smart - killing Garl Vinland with Fireball, dropping straight down 5-1, parrying Silver Skeletons, abusing the Clever Rat's Ring, grabbing the Thief's Ring in 5-2 - and since Demon's Souls autosaves instantly after any meaningful event, this is a single-segment run, so it is a LOT harder than it looks.

Yes, magic is overpowered in Demon's Souls - but the real culprit is the Crescent Falchion +1, whose insane damage scaling to your Magic stat and easy accessibility at the start of the game lets magic users fight effectively in melee. Only a couple of the bosses are hard once you've fought them a couple times, but he uses the sword to get past a lot of sticky situations earlier in the levels.