Japanese Pop Star Draws Crowds Despite Being a Hologram

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
As I have said many times,
God dammit Japan.
Also I didn't know holograms were possible.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Oh...so that's who she is.

It's kind of a cool concept with the holograms and stuff, but it's kind of awkward that she just sings I guess.

Well, we have to start somewhere I suppose.

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
Something that has been bugging me: of the videos I've seen from
I haven't seen any lengthy camera shots at more than a 30-ish degree angle, save for two very quick cuts during Len & Rin's performance and those do seem to have distortion that I would expect when viewing a flat plane at an angle. Could they actually be viewed from any angle under 90 degrees and still appear three dimensional? The screen they're being projected onto is flat as far as I can tell, although you can see more than one light casting their images onto it.

Just wondering how true a definition of "hologram" we're using here and exactly how comprehensive the tech is.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
electronic wolf said:
Well, she is good. I myself am a 'fan' of hastune miku. The music is really tolerable and is in some way comparable to real artists.
You're a 'fan' because you can 'tolerate' her "music" which is 'comparable to real [music]'? That makes no sense. i can 'tolerate' my school which is 'almost a real school'....... so i don't MURDER everyone inside. sorry if this seems harsh but you communicated that very poorly.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
therandombear said:
I like j-pop...besides I think there's also anime/manga about her, called Vocaloid :p

also, better then justin bieber...just saying >.>
I do belive Volcaloid is the programme used to make her voice. There isn't, I believe, an Anime Or Manga about her. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the works though.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
To be honest, the only thing that surprises me is that this is the Escapist and you're referring to Hatsune Miku as "Japanese Pop Star". Might as well refer to Facebook as "Social networking site".

That said, thanks for the vids, I saw a snippet on TV but they only had a few seconds of Po Pi Po, just long enough for the French presenters to go "WTF".

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
It isn't a hologram. The technology being used isn't anything special, it is just cleverly utilized. It is a transparent screen near the front of the stage with a projector behind it. It is the same standard 2D image being projected onto a screen, but the transparency of the screen gives the illusion that she is standing in the middle of the stage with nothing around her.

That being said, I've always liked Miku and I enjoy quite a few of the songs despite not knowing a word of Japanese.

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
KSarty said:
It isn't a hologram. The technology being used isn't anything special, it is just cleverly utilized. It is a transparent screen near the front of the stage with a projector behind it. It is the same standard 2D image being projected onto a screen, but the transparency of the screen gives the illusion that she is standing in the middle of the stage with nothing around her.
Exactly, quite similar to the technology used during "live" perfomances of the Gorillaz, it only actually looks 3-dimensional if you're not too close or too farr off to one side.

Also, J-Pop (and J-Rock, as well as J-[pretty much anything]) seems to trigger a fear/pain response in me when I listen to it for too long...

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I'd write something witty or amusing here but I literally have no idea what to say after seeing this.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
i honestly could not stop laughing at this, my stomach is seriously sore thanks to this. people don't seem to realize the applications of this. We can now have a 3D animated Chuck Norris doing this in front of audiences...

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
...This is pretty late.

However, I do want to say that this is possibly the only good thing that came out of this wave of 3D crap. 3DS was also a part of the good stuff, but then came the ads and pricing announcement.

Red-Link

Feb 10, 2010
Haha, I think Hatsune Miku is great. I can't get enough of Project Diva, and I'm really hoping to get an import of the second for Christmas.

skitzo van

Mar 20, 2009
What the hell is she doing with this career? She's sixteen! She should be getting an education!

zama174

Oct 25, 2010
zehydra said:
-Drifter- said:
I read the headline and suddenly I realized: We're in the motherfucking future.
Lol yeah, and now they're developing flying cars for the military.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/innovation/11/11/flying.car/index.html?iref=allsearch
To add to amazing technology that's out. The Microsoft Surface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxk_WywMTzc

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
s69-5 said:
Somehow, I'm seeing a possible Macross tie-in.
Let us just hope none of them achieves sentience and decides to hypnotically take over the world. Cause last I checked we got no mad skilled veritech pilots to counter them.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
I love it how people rag on the far less artificial Auto-tune all the time, and blame it for killing music, but have no problem with Japanese vocaloids which are 100% computer-constructed.