Japanese Robot Has a Fatal Attraction

Jul 9, 2008
Vanguard1219 said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Numerous attempts have been made to switch him back on, but every time they do so, he develops an instant crush on the next human he sees, and rushes to embrace them - with potentially fatal consequences.
God, I can just picture that now.

*while crushing a young redshirt intern to death*
"I love you, and sometimes love hurts."
Even better: I love you...to death. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XzhSuPt0TU]

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Dear lord this is disturbing. And a dark sign of things to come. Lord knows when we will go to far (maybe the LHC?).

savandicus

Jun 5, 2008
orannis62 said:
Vanguard1219 said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Numerous attempts have been made to switch him back on, but every time they do so, he develops an instant crush on the next human he sees, and rushes to embrace them - with potentially fatal consequences.
God, I can just picture that now.

*while crushing a young redshirt intern to death*
"I love you, and sometimes love hurts."
Even better: I love you...to death. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XzhSuPt0TU]
Lol great video, its been years since i last saw billy and mandy :p

On topic though i wonder what sort of program they gave the robot that it would do something like that. Its got to be making its decisions based on something which is most likely its programming. So one of the crazy scientists must've programmed it like that :p

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
galletea said:
black lincon said:
Do you really think that trying to give robots emotions like love is going to be the death of us all? yes it's creepy, and yes it's unfinished, but if you program all robots to have some sort of love for humanity as a whole then perhaps terminator scenarios will never occur.
Nah, that would be a stretch, but I'm not sure that giving a robot a personality is the best way to go.
Isn't there something to test whether a robot has human or near human intelligence? The Turing Test, my flatmate was doing work on Turing Computers a while ago (she does Philosophy). Apparently in the test, if a chatbot on the computer/robot can persuade a human chatting to it that the computer is actually human (obviously the human doesn't know who he/she's talking to), then the robot is deemed to be a Turing computer and has human intelligence. Needless to say that no computer so far has ever passed the test.

Anyway, maybe they'll have all the scientists wear red labcoats from now on...?

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
lol this seems like so very many movies ive seen
all it takes is a very good AI program, a moveible body, and human like emotions(which is all it needs to give it a goal in its robotic life), then u have a recipe for disaster. the emotions make the robot want to be with/protect someone, the AI gives it a very good knowledge of how to do so, and the body gives it the means to do so. the AI begins extending its ideas of how to protect that person, how to keep that person with them, and how to keep from getting shut down so that it can fullfil these tasks.
this eventually leads to the robot attempting to destroy all of humanity, except for that person, in order to protect that person and keep the person with him

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
This sounds a little far fetched to me. Why on Earth would they create a robot designed to replicate emotions, and then give it the strength to threaten a human? Sounds too cliche to be real.

Then again, this is the Japanese we're talking about here. God knows what they'll think of next.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
There's one reason we have no reason to worry about the robot apoccalypse: No sane researcher is going to create more than a handful of these things until what they're trying to achieve is perfected.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Ha! Robot? Or hornybot?

Sorry, that was lame.

Why did the Japanese create a robot to test emotions that had the physical capability to seriously injure/kill people? Sounds like a very dumb move to me. And testing emotions of all things! Everyone knows that emotions are most likely to inspire murder. Why didn't they make a tiny little weakling robot?

Haliwali

Jan 29, 2008
So, the robots won't kill us because we're obsolete oppressors... they'll kill us because they love us.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
drop2zero said:
I think that quote is quite fitting actually. Judging by this article, we could be well on our way to creating Cylons of our very own. I just hope they don't model one of them after Tricia Helfer...or we're all doomed, lol.
Let's just hope there isn't anyone like Baltar near these things and I think we'll be ok.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
"Is our new "Dancing Robot" ready, Takeshi?"

"Yes Sir, and i have programmed in a will to live, hooked up four miniguns to its arms and given it the capability to reprogram and repair/alter itself"

"hm, i am not so sure about that, but... WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?"

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
That was really interesting to read.
Really didn't know that we were this far in robot technology, I guess since the Japanese permanently resist imigration it's the only way to go for them.

It's almost like a lot of humanities problems in a nutshell.
Will he go so far as drawing creepy fan-art about his love interest on the internet? I'm really eager to find out.

This reminded me a little of the Hal spoof from the Simpsons, I wonder what the robots voice is like