Japanese University Plans Massive Manga Library

berettapunk

Mar 18, 2009
omg, now i really do need to learn japanese. thats now on my life to do list. visit a heaven of manga. sweet! japan rocks.

Feb 18, 2009
Amnestic said:
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
Does this include light novels? And how does taking out a book to read help your academic study? Unless you're doing a report on it maybe.
It's a form of literature/art. Watching how the medium has evolved over time could be kinda difficult, so I can see why they'd want to consolidate all the works into one 'archive' so to speak. If you were a cultural scholar I could see it being important as well, since manga is ingrained into Japanese culture.
Also, seeing how prominent manga is even in western youth culture, I think academic interest is well-founded. A library such as this can be not only entertaining but also useful. An arts student approves.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Yet another awesome thing from the wonderfully odd country of Japan. I hope something like this happens at my school/future university.

Also, I'm pleased at how no anime/manga bashing has occurred, though CantFaketheFunk posting this is probably why.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Oh. my. [diety].
I am going to visit that place after it opens. Time to start brushing up on my japanese.
all 5 words of it that I currently know.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
meh, I've seen a museum of manga in Kyoto with an archive of about that many manga already... it isn't anything really that new, manga has been taken deadly seriously for many years now in Japan.

edit: oh by the way, I understand Japanese, and can therefore read all those 2 million manga with a wonderful sense of understanding.

muahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahaaaa!

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
Simalacrum said:
meh, I've seen a museum of manga in Kyoto with an archive of about that many manga already... it isn't anything really that new, manga has been taken deadly seriously for many years now in Japan.
This may give it more respect around the world. Or it would become one of those places that Otakus have to visit at least once (ex. Comiket)

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Incredible Bullshitting Man said:
Amnestic said:
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
Does this include light novels? And how does taking out a book to read help your academic study? Unless you're doing a report on it maybe.
It's a form of literature/art. Watching how the medium has evolved over time could be kinda difficult, so I can see why they'd want to consolidate all the works into one 'archive' so to speak. If you were a cultural scholar I could see it being important as well, since manga is ingrained into Japanese culture.
Also, seeing how prominent manga is even in western youth culture, I think academic interest is well-founded. A library such as this can be not only entertaining but also useful. An arts student approves.
I was gonna say that art students would find this amazingly useful.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
How much is a plane ticket to Japan? This is open to the public right?

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
W-...I mea-...

Okay, that picture is freaking getting to me. If you knew what I'm thinking right now as I look at the thing, you'll see why it's creepy but appropiate.

Anyways, I would say this is awesome, but I don't like Manga, so...

Xorghul

Jul 2, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Xorghul said:
"Recently, Tokyo has been encouraging efforts to promote Japanese culture beyond the technology (and bizarre tastes) that the country is traditionally known for."
Yeah, and a manga library with two million books isn't bizarre.

Japan, you just did it again.
Have you heard of the Library of Congress? It has comic books, too.
Might be, but I don't believe it's solely(more or less) dedicated to manga nor that they have two million of them.