Japanese Women Eagerly Await Your Charms in Yakuza 4

Apr 16, 2009
Kalezian said:
Rarhnor said:
...And from here and on the dating-sim games will be popularized in west. The start of a North American Japan.

wasnt that the case as soon as we found the internet?

I mean, look at the number of dating sims on Newgrounds alone!

OT: I dont care about the dating portion, you had me at Yakuza 4.
There's a huge difference between Newgrounds flash dating sims and a major release by a large publisher.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
I just picked up Yakuza three. and when im not looking after Orphans and kicking the shit out of people, im enjoying myself.

So Ill be looking out for this one.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
it would be hilarious if you could fall in love and it was a game over since it would prompt you to leave the yakuza

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Worgen said:
it would be hilarious if you could fall in love and it was a game over since it would prompt you to leave the yakuza
Well, the trailer said that if you fall, you fail, so it's possible.

Live4Lotus

Dec 5, 2009
It sounds terrible...your character can fall in love? WTF? How? Isn't love an emotion? I thought emotions were felt by the player and not by the character...I can see that there are going to be players saying things like, "I really hate this girl, I should kill her" while the character gets -2 health and -2 gun accuracy because he "fell in love". It just makes no sense for a player character to be able to have emotions unless they have physical effects (like maybe if he gets mad when people call him names during a firefight, thus giving you +1 accuracy or something). Maybe falling in love results in an unskippable 5-hour cutscene of a wedding or something...those Yakuza guys love long, boring, unskippable cutscenes.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Kytseo said:
Worgen said:
Well, the trailer said that if you fall, you fail, so it's possible.
Could also be amajor plot point. The girl has been eyed by another Yakuza boss (or it could be your boss, if you're not a Yakuza boss yourself), then you get this "forbidden love" scenario that only has one end: Messily. I mean splatters of crimson everywhere. And you can probably toss in a few dismembered pinky fingers here and there.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Nocta-Aeterna said:
wait wait... You meet them at a hostess club, seriously? Aren't those women paid to chat and flirt with the customers? Shouldn't they be extremely jaded?
And? Really, how many romantic relationships in action genre fiction as a whole are realistically portrayed? It's not like falling in love with working girls is a trope unique to Japan [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T1c7GkzRQQ].

I mean, to each their own, and not every genre will appeal to everyone. But I find it hilarious when people who want their game combat gritty and realistic with accurate weapon depictions then complain when romance is handled as anything but perfunctory [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NBSwQltFzw#t=4m17s].

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Seriously, this is hilarious. "Buy her stuff. Diamonds, designer clothes, after all, she´s a woman" is the best line ever.

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
Falseprophet said:
Nocta-Aeterna said:
wait wait... You meet them at a hostess club, seriously? Aren't those women paid to chat and flirt with the customers? Shouldn't they be extremely jaded?
And? Really, how many romantic relationships in action genre fiction as a whole are realistically portrayed? It's not like falling in love with working girls is a trope unique to Japan [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T1c7GkzRQQ].

I mean, to each their own, and not every genre will appeal to everyone. But I find it hilarious when people who want their game combat gritty and realistic with accurate weapon depictions then complain when romance is handled as anything but perfunctory [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NBSwQltFzw#t=4m17s].
I never said anything about my preferences on a game's realism and grittiness. Also, I have no problem with the whole romance-of-a-working-girl trope, but wooing them during working hours while one has hired their services seems just patently ridiculous to me. No, I did not watch Pretty Woman.

I don't like romantic subplots very much, since they mostly boil down to The Power Of Love and only rarily do I find one which actually adds something to a story.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
There was something like this in the first Yakuza game for PS2. It wasn't fun. Buying stuff to women who mean absolutely nothing to your character and they don't add anything to the gameplay. They only exist in Yakuza so you can spend your hard earned cash on nonsense. But that's Japan for you. Even in their games you can't have a healthy relationship.

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
LaughingAtlas said:
008Zulu said:
I wonder if you can make her like a henchman if the relationship meter (or whatever) gets high enough, maybe get her to do a few "errands"?
Hrmm... I think I see potential for a japanese Harley Quinn here.
That would be an awesome game mechanic. Integrating a dating system into running a yakuza gang. There's so much you could do with that.