Jaxxyn Wood, 12, Stays Up to Play Games, Saves Family from Fire

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Jaxxyn Wood, 12, Stays Up to Play Games, Saves Family from Fire

Jaxxyn Wood of Danville, KY alerted his family to a fire he noticed while playing videogames at 3:30 in the morning.

One of the things I miss the most about being a kid is the endless energy I used to have. For instance, there was one occasion when I was 10 where I stayed up for nearly 3 days straight for no particularly good reason. It was just summer and I had a lot of soda and a videogame that I wanted to beat. And then beat again and maybe a third time after that. Nowadays, at the ripe old age of 26, I'm settling more into the old fart end of the spectrum. If I'm awake to see midnight it's generally a miracle.

Thankfully, for the family of 12-year-old Jaxxyn Wood, he's still at the <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAt7YbX0T9k>"rock and roll all night" stage of his life. Recently, while indulging in a post-Christmas 3:30 AM gaming session, the uniquely-named ragamuffin from Kentucky noticed an odor that smelled like "Legos on fire." Seeing smoke, he followed it to the kitchen where he caught sight of a fire in the family's ice machine. "I grabbed a plastic cup of water and put it out as much as I could, and then I went and got everybody," he said. Thanks to Jaxxyn's actions, the nine people staying in his home were able to evacuate safely.

While this story leaves us a little curious as to how Jaxxyn knows what burning LEGO bricks smell like, we'll set that question aside to offer the kid our kudos. Just personally, if I had even noticed the gathering smoke enough to put down my controller, I probably would have panicked and gone screaming out of the house (who needs family anyways?). Perhaps the best part of this whole thing for Jaxxyn, of course, is the fact that he pretty much has free reign to stay up gaming as late he wants from now on. What are Mom and Dad really going to do when he can just pull out the "remember how I saved you all from a fiery death" card?

Source: <a href=http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/House-fire-sends-family-into-the-cold-in-Danville-237289261.html>WKYT

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I hate to break it to you StewShearer, but if you can't stay awake for days at the age of 26 you're not living a particularly healthy lifestyle. At 24 I have as much energy as a bull. Heck, I have more energy now than I did when I was a kid.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Dear God, that name... I had to watch the video in the article just to see how it was pronounced, my hunch was right that it's something along the lines of "Jacks-sin" or "Jacks-son". But yeah, good on the kid for doing the right thing.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Adam Jensen said:
...if you can't stay awake for days at the age of 26 you're not living a particularly healthy lifestyle.
If you ARE staying awake for days at any age, you're not living a particularly healthy lifestyle. If you CAN stay awake for days at 26, you're almost certainly taking excessive amounts of stimulants, anyway, nevermind the fact that doing so is quite inherently unhealthy.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Personally, i'd have let them burn a little for calling me Jaxxyn.

I joke of course, the kids got his shizz together.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
Okay, I propose a law that only let's you put a maximum of one X in your child's name. And one other for having it done in the language of the YouTube commenters.
Also, nice going kid. You're a big hero that might get grounded for staying up past your bedtime. Kudos.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Same would be true if he stayed up to read a book ro watch TV, thought nothing technically wrong with news story, its not an achievement of gaming.

Pyrian said:
Adam Jensen said:
...if you can't stay awake for days at the age of 26 you're not living a particularly healthy lifestyle.
If you ARE staying awake for days at any age, you're not living a particularly healthy lifestyle. If you CAN stay awake for days at 26, you're almost certainly taking excessive amounts of stimulants, anyway, nevermind the fact that doing so is quite inherently unhealthy.
I am 24 so not 26 year but i think close enough. I do not take any stimulants - i dont even drink coffe. Thought i do like my candy and sugar could be a stimulant i guess. Whenever i go to "parties" i never sleep there, and since they happen overnight, i stay up overnight. That is, wake up at 6 AM, go to work, go to party, dont sleep, return home, go to sleep at 9 PM online stay up. Last year there was also a case where i stayed up for 3 nights (all 3 hints for different reasons funnily enough) straight without any stimulants, thought by the third day i felt zombified and when i found some time to game that day while game is going im aware, cutscene and i feel myself diving into sleep, the body was probably ready for the "shutdowns" that start after 72 hours i guess.
Its not healthy, but definatelly possible without stimulants.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
"smelled like Legos on fire"

I dig this kids style. Considering they didn't mention what game he was playing, I can only assume it was Call Of Duty or GTA.

Also playing games at 3:30 is the tamest thing I am doing if I am up all night. You should be ashamed...

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
StewShearer said:
Seeing smoke, he followed it to the kitchen where he caught sight of a fire in the family's ice machine.
So while everyone is bickering about how stupid a name Jaxxyn is or is not, are we going to completely ignore that there was a fire in an ICE tray? How does that even happen? I guess it wasn't currently being used...

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
TiberiusEsuriens said:
StewShearer said:
Seeing smoke, he followed it to the kitchen where he caught sight of a fire in the family's ice machine.
So while everyone is bickering about how stupid a name Jaxxyn is or is not, are we going to completely ignore that there was a fire in an ICE tray? How does that even happen? I guess it wasn't currently being used...
An ice machine and an ice tray are 2 entirely different things.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Waiting for that fair and balanced reporting on how video games lead to heroism. C'mon, there's just as much connection to that as there is to violence. Still waiting...

Nah, probably gonna see some backhanded comment implying that he's an arsonist (knows what burning lego smells like, after all), and set the fire himself.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
No smoke detector in a kitchen? Good job that kid was awake, this is why smoke alarms where invented. Its not like they are expensive either.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
J Tyran said:
No smoke detector in a kitchen? Good job that kid was awake, this is why smoke alarms where invented. Its not like they are expensive either.
I don't think they are needed in a normal household, neither would I want to have one in my kitchen - in case something burned on the stove but is under control.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
I hate to break it to you StewShearer, but if you can't stay awake for days at the age of 26 you're not living a particularly healthy lifestyle. At 24 I have as much energy as a bull. Heck, I have more energy now than I did when I was a kid.
I've been trying to work out some with the missus lately and have been eating better since the baby was born, but no I'm not particularly healthy. In my defense, though, I tend to attribute my general sleepiness to the kiddo waking me up 2-3 times a night and then having to get up just before 5AM to work.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Wait wait wait. Good on saving his family and all that, but the article writer left out the most important details. What game, what gaming system and what was the kid's score? I mean I'm all ready to celebrate this brave little guy's heroism, but not until I find out if he's in the dirty filthy Xbox camp, or the clean cut and respectable Playstation group. I mean what's the point of screaming at online Xbox players "I hope you die in a fire" if I then just turn right around and congratulate one of them when they don't? Also how good is he at this game he was playing? Because I'm sure as hell not giving any credit to some newb scrub tryhard no matter how important they think their contribution to the rest of the world is.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
mindfaQ said:
J Tyran said:
I don't think they are needed in a normal household, neither would I want to have one in my kitchen - in case something burned on the stove but is under control.
This news story proves that they are, just in case you are in bed at night and don't have a 12yr old having a late gaming session and a fire starts. They save lives, period. Smoke alarms can give you enough warning to evacuate the house before the smoke and flames make it impossible to escape.

As for it going off in the kitchen, keep your cooker clean and use the silence button when you burn something.

Orbot_Vectorman

Cleaning trash since 1990
May 11, 2009
Psychobabble said:
Wait wait wait. Good on saving his family and all that, but the article writer left out the most important details. What game, what gaming system and what was the kid's score? I mean I'm all ready to celebrate this brave little guy's heroism, but not until I find out if he's in the dirty filthy Xbox camp, or the clean cut and respectable Playstation group. I mean what's the point of screaming at online Xbox players "I hope you die in a fire" if I then just turn right around and congratulate one of them when they don't? Also how good is he at this game he was playing? Because I'm sure as hell not giving any credit to some newb scrub tryhard no matter how important they think their contribution to the rest of the world is.
While I applaud your sense of humor, I can't help but feel your missing the point; the true clean cut, respectable gamer plays on PC. Also I would like to put up the redundant "Obvious troll is obvious."

Any how back on the real topic, I applaud the kid on saving his family, rather than beating his game and the like. Also, who in their right mind burns Lego bricks?