Je Suis Charlie

JMac85

Nov 1, 2007
maninahat said:
What I'd like is for that 90% to show a basic degree of respect and empathy to the 10%. A non-muslim doesn't typically have any reason to draw Muhammad (that includes cartoon satirists), and it really is absolutely no difficulty for them to comply with a request from muslims to keep not drawing him. But for some, just being asked not to do something for the sake of a minority (no matter what it is) is in itself an intolerable concession. And that's absurd. It's the equivalent of me going to my uncle, who has a phobia of balloons, and waving balloons in his face just to prove that I don't have a problem with them myself, that I don't have to do as he asks, and that I have a freedom to take my balloons wherever I like. People would quickly see my triumphant display of personal freedoms as me being a self-centred dickhead.
A more apt example would be if your uncle demanded that, since he has a phobia of balloons, that they should be banned. Just in case if he's ever at a restaurant and stumbles upon a birthday party. After all, it's not his responsibility to cope with a world that doesn't share his sensibilities. Everyone else should be mindful of him, right? He's a poor, troubled minority.

Hundreds of millions of people are religious outraged by the positive depiction of homosexuality in the media. Should be comply with their requests to shutter them away? But don't worry, I'm not suggesting he outlaw it like they have in their countries. Just keep them out of the public eye. Unless of course this doesn't placate the religious extremists. They did manage to pressure a whole other culture into changing what they allow to satisfy them, so why should they stop there?

Carzinex

Mar 29, 2011
Russian Orthodox Christianity hates homosexuals and lobbies for laws against it (http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/01/10/orthodox-church-of-russia-homosexuality-must-be-banned-and-excluded-from-society/) : Shocking, horrible must be stopped, boycott there country!!!

Extremist Islam kills 12 people because they published some blasphemous cartoons: Well they should respect their religion!!

Some people are very strange

JMac85

Nov 1, 2007
Nods Respectfully Towards You said:
It's funny because most Islam controlled countries (I'm talking about countries that have things like Sharia law instated) treat homosexuals just as bad if not worse than Russia yet you see far less outcry with them for some odd reason.
Really. With all the cries of "The Patriarchy" and "rape culture" from the social justice crowd over trivial bullshit like some guy wearing a tacky shirt with pin-up girls on it, you'd think they'd speak of the Middle East like it was Mordor or something.

Carzinex

Mar 29, 2011
JMac85 said:
It's funny because most Islam controlled countries (I'm talking about countries that have things like Sharia law instated) treat homosexuals just as bad if not worse than Russia yet you see far less outcry with them for some odd reason.
Really. With all the cries of "The Patriarchy" and "rape culture" from the social justice crowd over trivial bullshit like some guy wearing a tacky shirt with pin-up girls on it, you'd think they'd speak of the Middle East like it was Mordor or something.
Probably because only straight white males can ever do any wrong. Obviously Muslims are oppressed minorities and we should respect their culture.
I think alot of them seem to equate the middle-east and northern Africa with central and southern Africa.

These are VERY rich populous areas of the world, that 1. invented slavery 2. have an ancient culture that goes back just as far as European middle ages 3. Have worst humanitarian and wealth distribution records than any Anglo-European culture.

The Muslim world is not something to be molly-coddled and looked after, they can look after themselves, well the governments/theocracies/monarchies look after themselves just not their people.

If we have white privilege they definitely have some of their own mojo in their home countries.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
maninahat said:
You should have read the next bit, where I talk about how empathy trumps rights.
?Your rights end where my feelings begin?
Or, "Your rights have nothing to do with whether you are being an inconsiderate jackass to others."

maninahat said:
Contrariwise, should I ban Christmas holidays or forbid banks from closing on Sundays? You're already living in a society drenched in religious conventions, like it or not.
Why exactly are you trying to say here? No one is being forced to celebrate Christmas (which let?s be honest, it?s just as secular as it is religious at this point) nor is anyone forced to close on Sunday to observe the Sabbath, this is all a case of individual people or companies practicing their freedom of religion.
I was responding to a previous commentor, who was arguing that for a society that accommodated the Islamic rule of not depicting Muhammad would run afoul of people's right to freedom of religion. I'm pointing out that many Western societies already accommodate many Christian customs, and even officially integrate them into public holidays, so their argument was mute.

Here?s the thing though, any moderate Muslim should be able to tolerate having their religious figure being drawn and/or mocked just as most religions do. I?m a Christian myself but do I cry bloody murder every time Jesus or my religion in general is made fun of? Fuck no, it doesn?t affect me personally and I really don?t care about it beyond not finding it all that funny. I?m just wondering, why does Islam get this special treatment? It?s not like there?s anything in official doctrine saying Muhammed can?t be portrayed or mocked, this all stems from different interpretations by various sects and religious officials. The only reason it?s done in the first place is because Islam is pretty much the only religion that would get you killed for doing something as trivial as drawing a picture.
I find this is an interesting argument - that because other religions don't have an equivalent taboo on depicting religious figures, muslims are unreasonable to have such a taboo. It's convenient for those arguing it is daft to have never lived by such a taboo.

That said, even though non-muslims don't have a strict taboo on depicting religious figures, all people have customs that seem arbitrary to outsiders. I'll give you a personal example: my wife is from India, where wedding rings have little (if any) significance. One day, she took off her wedding ring and asked, in all earnestness, whether she could use one of her other, more valuable rings as her wedding band instead. She was surprised to see that I upset by this question. She was actually annoyed that this could ever bother someone. Being from a society that placed no importance on such things meant she was not equipped to sympathise with the importance that I (like many Westerners) place on them. So the question is, am I an idiot to be placing such an importance on a damn ring? And as an ignorant outsider, just how useful is her perspective in judging my reaction? How can I honestly criticise some muslim taboo, whilst expecting my own esoteric taboos to be respected? I'm not going to argue that one can't criticise other people's customs at all, just that if we are going to be fair in judging these things, a superficial understanding isn't going to cut it.

maninahat said:
It's the equivalent of me going to my uncle, who has a phobia of balloons, and waving balloons in his face just to prove that I don't have a problem with them myself, that I don't have to do as he asks, and that I have a freedom to take my balloons wherever I like. People would quickly see my triumphant display of personal freedoms as me being a self-centred dickhead.
Not really sure how that scenario is equivalent. No one is going into these people?s homes and shoving these pictures into their faces. A more adequate scenario is if your balloon-phobic uncle started campaigning to have balloons removed from all forms of media or even to ban balloons completely and complain that you?re somehow being insensitive if you don?t comply with his ludicrous demands. If these people have a problem with seeing their prophet being mocked then maybe they should just fucking ignore it. No one is forcing them to read Charlie Hebdo and they probably wouldn?t be reading it in the first place. It?s the same issue with the burning of the American flag which is funny since the same people that would take issue with drawings of Muhammad would probably be completely fine with the practice and maybe even advocate it. The world is filled with things we don't like, doesn't mean we need to start trying to remove everything that upsets our tender sensibilities.
People are shoving the Mohammad drawings in muslims faces though. Newspapers and zines are reproducing them, artists are taking to twitter to re-tweet them, people even pushed to make an annual event of drawing Muhammad - that is very definitely rubbing it in muslim's faces. My uncle, ever the moderate, might have been fine with people keeping their balloons in their own homes and out of his sight, but he probably wouldn't be fine with them tumbling out of his morning's paper.

As a final question, why the hell shouldn't we start trying to remove things that upset our tender sensibilities?

JMac85

Nov 1, 2007
maninahat said:
As a final question, why the hell shouldn't we start trying to remove things that upset our tender sensibilities?
Because that's authoritarianism?

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Looking at some of the latest news reports on the terrorism incidents in France, it would appear I need to change my assessment of the situation. I'm currently leaning toward Charlie Hebdo was simply a convenient excuse for the terrorists. I am thinking that the terrorists had already planned their acts of murder and violence, and Charlie Hebdo was merely a convenient starting point. If not Charlie Hebdo, then the terrorists would have chosen another target.

This all seems to be coming conveniently as France is debating its immigration laws. However, thanks to the actions of these terrorists, there is significant voice from the right-wing, now, to simply closing the borders (at least to Muslim immigration) and possibly kicking out the Muslims that currently are in France. This is just going to turn into a shit-storm no matter how you go, because people are just scared, right now.

ADDENDUM: Just want to clarify that what I'm saying here is that I don't think the terrorists were actually responding to anything by Charlie Hebdo. Instead, they were just using Charlie Hebdo as a convenient rallying cry for their own faction and twisted views. They probably had any number of targets they were considering, and Charlie Hebdo simply drew the short straw.

Which makes the terrorists actions even more criminally horrific, in my opinion.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Well, I might be late to the party, and I had a whole thing prepared where I would try to explain why Charlie Hebdo was in fact absolutely not racist and/or rightwing, but then I found this article that did a far better job then I could have ever done, so there we are:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/01/11/1356945/-On-not-understanding-Charlie-Why-many-smart-people-are-getting-it-wrong

I'd suggest everyone reads it and the material in it, and try not to use their US American sensibilities to judge a French magazine.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
geizr said:
Looking at some of the latest news reports on the terrorism incidents in France, it would appear I need to change my assessment of the situation. I'm currently leaning toward Charlie Hebdo was simply a convenient excuse for the terrorists. I am thinking that the terrorists had already planned their acts of murder and violence, and Charlie Hebdo was merely a convenient starting point. If not Charlie Hebdo, then the terrorists would have chosen another target.

This all seems to be coming conveniently as France is debating its immigration laws. However, thanks to the actions of these terrorists, there is significant voice from the right-wing, now, to simply closing the borders (at least to Muslim immigration) and possibly kicking out the Muslims that currently are in France. This is just going to turn into a shit-storm no matter how you go, because people are just scared, right now.
of course it was just a starting point. The cartoons showing muhammad are a bit old, they did do a front page with islam for a while now. Plus all three of them talked to journlaists before they die, and all three of them talked about the implication of france in Syria and against ISIS.

And the irony of that is that Charlie was dying anyway. if they didnt attacked it, it would had probably closed within two years. They had less and less exclusive employees and hire more freelance because they were lacking the funds to pay everyone full time. they were selling roughly 50000 copy per week now, and they were barely profitable. But now a lot of people that havent heard of them before know them, a lot of people will buy the journal just to make a point against terrorism. Tomorrow, Charlie come out with 3 millions copy to sell, in 16 languages and will be distributed worldwide. they will get a load of money to fund the journal that they would never had otherwise.

Davroth said:
Well, I might be late to the party, and I had a whole thing prepared where I would try to explain why Charlie Hebdo was in fact absolutely not racist and/or rightwing, but then I found this article that did a far better job then I could have ever done, so there we are:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/01/11/1356945/-On-not-understanding-Charlie-Why-many-smart-people-are-getting-it-wrong

I'd suggest everyone reads it and the material in it, and try not to use their US American sensibilities to judge a French magazine.
It's the best article i've seen about what is Charlie, very well find

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Je Suis Charlie.

What I don't manage to understand is why Muslims tend to be so thin-skinned when it comes to critics and satirizations of their faith. They tend to jump fairly easily in my experience, something that I haven't seen from, say, Christians (the amount of parodies of the Bible and Jesus is honestly surprising), Jews (and oh boy they get some shit thrown at them) or even Atheists (with the fedora meme and whatnot).
Keep in mind I'm talking in general, I know there are certain groups that are, well, less "moderate" in their views. But as I said, when I personally talk with Muslims, they usually are fairly defensive (more than others anyway). See all the people in online media saying that the Charlie Hebdo guys "had it coming", for example.

Jan 22, 2011
NeutralDrow said:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
4. The quran calls to kill anyone who insults the prophet Mohammad. Bukhari (4:241)
...what are you citing? I have a Qur'an in front of me, and Surah 4 only goes up to 176.
Apparently nothing.. i'm just going to stay out of political debates.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Immsys said:
http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2015/01/in-the-wake-of-charlie-hebdo-free-speech-does-not-mean-freedom-from-criticism/

Before everyone jumps on the ol' bandwagon, I highly recommend reading some of Charlie Hebdo's cartoons and their general attitude towards Islam in general, both of which can be found in the article linked. Obviously I don't condone the shooting up of any journalists or their place of work, but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of CH's work is racist and that "solidarity" with them is not exactly what we need.
While I don't disagree with the level headed reality of what you are saying, there is a certain logical middle ground that isn't being reached here.

I think we can all agree on one point: Fuck the people who did this.

Now on showing solidarity I am a little bit more inclined to think that right now what they said and did was offensive and maybe shouldn't be lauded in any particular way, but at the same time there is this concept of the "Right to offend" that is worth protecting. And I think MovieBob for once in close to a year is right about exactly that, that this is an all or nothing game. Either some speech is protected or none of it is. So yeah maybe you're right, maybe everyone is wrong, but this case in all its due nuance falls under that old saying "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

No one AND I MEAN ABSOLUTELY NO ONE should live in fear just based on their words and thoughts. That is not the kind of world I am ok with living in.

There are a lot of monsters in this world, and I'll be damned if I am going to sit there and remotely sound like I give the slightest inch to what free speech needs to mean to us. We are constantly approaching a world where people believe they have the right to not be offended, but I don't think anyone should have this right. It's not going to solve inequality. It's not going to solve anything. I have infinitely more sympathy for a man or woman who murders their spouse for cheating than I do some fucking nut job who quite literally can't take a joke to the point where he needs to kill people. Lock him up and throw away the key.