Jesse Eisenberg Promises Lex Luthor Is "Very Serious"

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Banjo-Kazooie Blue said:
This just goes to show how Clueless Zack Snyder and company are. They think they this makes the movie sound better to fans.
I'm a DC fan and I still like the direction the DC movies are going. I walked out of Man of Steel reletively satisfyed despite some silly moments (Catholic Priest)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
ParasiteX said:
It's very hard to take Jesse Eisenberg serious in pretty much anything...
You know I never seen The Social Club, Zombieland, or even followed Jesse Eisenberg at all. Heck when I heard of the backlash against him being casted as Lex Luthor I was like, "Who is Jesse Eisenberg?"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
I'm just one of those people that defends Man of Steel as a movie. And besides Superman has been in WORSE things than Man of Steel (other than just movies), whatever problems the movie had pales in comparison to things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WpE1MScgT8
As much of a fan of Linkara as I am, nobody's trying to build a franchise off that piece of crap.

cjspyres

Oct 12, 2011
You know, I'm not going to defend Man of Steel. I think it definitely had it's problems, and it could have been better. But I'm kind of getting tired of everybody complaining about how dark the DC movies are. I mean, lets just take a look at what are hailed as the best comics from individual heroes.

Batman- Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, Under the Red Hood arc, Hush, The Long Halloween

Superman- For the Man that Has Everything, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Kingdom Come

Green Lantern- Emerald Twilight, Blackest Night, Circle of Fire

The point I'm trying to make is, DC is just....dark. The most hailed upon comics in the franchise are also the darkest ones.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
lax4life said:
Of course Lex Luthor is very serious. He's a very serious guy, with very serious ambitions.

This image seems like it needs an addendum.

For you see, Celestia enjoys cakes.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011

better put on your business socks because it's Serious business time.

You know, cuz everyone likes for the Supervillain to be supr srs and not have fun, just look at the Joker, uhh, I mean Loki... no, wait give me a minute I'll think of something

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Fanghawk said:
For example, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139899-Zack-Snyder-Has-Revealed-Jason-Momoas-Aquaman>Jason Momoa recently explained that <a href=https://www.blastr.com/2015-9-8/jason-momoa-says-aquaman-wont-be-butt-jokes-after-batman-v-superman>that no one will be making jokes about his Aquaman once the movie's finished.
I'm sorry, Mr, Momoa; it could be that yours is the interpretation of Aquaman that will make audiences, laugh, cry, and rise cheering when the lights come up.

But people are still going to make jokes about Aquaman when the movie is over. Because Aquaman has a long and often ridiculous/pathetic history that precedes your interpretation.

And also, he's a superhero who talks to fish. In a world of technicolor psychotics and city-shattering pyrotechnics... Well, yeah.

"It's just the most incredible character," Eisenberg said on The Today Show. "It was written by this guy Chris Terrio, this is his next movie after Argo, who is just this brilliant writer of characters. So this movie is not a cartoonish superhero movie, it's this very serious, well-acted, well-written, well-directed movie. It's really phenomenal."
Whatever else might be said about Smallville, I thought Michael Rosenbaum's portrayal of Lex Luthor was pretty awesome. I'm more than willing to consider the possibility that Luthor could be a great movie villain in a more seriously-themed piece.

I'm not entirely convinced that Eisenberg will portray that great villain in this particular piece, but we'll see.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
thebobmaster said:
From what I've heard, one of the big issues with the new DC Cinematic Universe is the fact that it is too serious. With that in mind, I am not comforted by this.
Good, let it be serious. I don't want DC to be all immature and non-sensicle and "humorous" like Marvel's as of late.
Being serious doesn't mean it can't be fun. DC's films don't look very fun.

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
The biggest issue with Eisenberg is that he's a terrible actor and has an annoying face.

And don't even get me started on literal Zack Snyder

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
thewatergamer said:
Yeah...just because your "serious" doesn't mean you are going to be good...
Well, the only success they've ever had at the movies was with the Chris Nolan movies, so knowing how these guys operate they are going to try and replicate that success as much as possible.

Imagine if the MCU movies didn't get popular with the relatively comedic performance of RDJ in the original Iron-Man movie? Things could have been dramatically different if they hadn't at least tried to carry that tone through their other films...

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah there was no need to emphasise how serious the sequel to Man of Steel will be.

Much as I love Man of Steel, I'd love if a DC (or a Marvel) film managed to grab the right balance of serious and fun like X2/Days of Future Past did, but I know such things won't happen and we'll get something that ends up silly because of how serious it takes itself.

Apr 5, 2008
Oh, he'll be serious. I expect he'll be dark and brooding too. So he, batman and superman can all be brooding and dark together by brooding in darkness. But I'm not convinced DoJ will be dark, serious and brooding enough for my tastes. And edgy. They must all be super dark, super edgy and super broody, all the time. Also, there must be no colour in the film.

Apr 5, 2008
Jake Martinez said:
Well, the only success they've ever had at the movies was with the Chris Nolan movies, so knowing how these guys operate they are going to try and replicate that success as much as possible.
What are you talking about? This is nonsense, I'm sorry to say. First, you are ignoring Tim Burton and Richard Donner, both of whom made critical and commercial blockbusters, both of whose movies stand today as among the best superhero films ever made. Michael Keaton's Batman if anything paved the way for today's movies on the basis of its success. People saw that a good movie could be made and that there were fans who enjoyed and paid for it in droves.

Second, apart from Superman Returns (which I would digress, was a much better film than MoS by every measure, despite its own issues), Nolan's trilogy were the *only* films they made in the last decade or more. Stating that Nolan's movies were "the only success they've ever had" is absolutely, objectively and demonstrably untrue. They're the *only* films they made in the last decade, with SR, and Tim Burton and Richard Donner both made *better* films decades ago that are still today better than most superhero films and certainly better than Nolan's.

Then the kicker is that considering they're basing DoJ and whatever else they do moving forward on Nolan's films' success, they've completely severed continuity with a different Batman and different director, different timeline and universe. The only thing thing they're gonna keep is a desaturated look that's mostly dark. Man of Steel was a terrible film, Nolan's trilogy was good, great, awful. I'm personally interested to see what they do, but only because of the fondness I once had for those characters' older films. Judging by the trailer and news surrounding it, it's going to be dark, serious, edgy and broody which sounds about as enjoyable as a sandpaper slide.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
And I'm sure Jesse Eisenberg will accompany Lex Luthor's brooding sense of superiority with his own real-life feelings of superiority, his oh so cool face locked in a cold sneer of apathy as he looks down on the throngs of comic book fans like a 19th century British colonialist would have gazed upon the savages of the Dark Continent.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
He says he won't be a cartoon, but DCAU LL was quite frankly amazing.
Don't be so quick to distance yourself.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
thebobmaster said:
From what I've heard, one of the big issues with the new DC Cinematic Universe is the fact that it is too serious. With that in mind, I am not comforted by this.
Good, let it be serious. I don't want DC to be all immature and non-sensicle and "humorous" like Marvel's as of late.
I had my fun with Man of Steel. The action scenes were awesome, and I like the performances of some of the character like Michael Shannon's Zod.

And judging from the Trailers of Batman v Superman it looks to be quite the spectical.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
thebobmaster said:
I had my fun with Man of Steel. The action scenes were awesome, and I like the performances of some of the character like Michael Shannon's Zod.

And judging from the Trailers of Batman v Superman it looks to be quite the spectical.
It just looks more like grimdark bs. They've essentially made Superman and Batman the same character, sacrificing any dynamic they had in the comics to make it "cooler and edgier."

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
thebobmaster said:

It just looks more like grimdark bs. They've essentially made Superman and Batman the same character, sacrificing any dynamic they had in the comics to make it "cooler and edgier."
I find it wrong to call Superman grimdark. The problem with him in Man of Steel is that he had very few things to say which I am hoping the next movie will make him speak and act more often.

And besides its too early to judge. And isn't that a bit too much to say that they made them both into the same character? Batman would not go as far as to face trial for anything mistake he made like Superman. He would just dissappear.