Jessica Chobot and Mass Effect 3

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
TriggerHappyAngel said:
Watch this if you want a reason to dislike her:

Oh dear god why...

She is a blight. A hideous stain upon an already badly soiled cloth.

Words cannot describe my disdain.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Wow, I have always consider Chobot a pretty face to entice lonely nerd gamers into paying attention to G4 and IGN never have I thought she actual knew anything about what she was saying or ever considered her creditable.

To me she is the video game equivalent to the pretty girls that car companies hire to stand next to their cars during trade shows, not to be taken seriously.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Seventh Actuality said:
MiracleOfSound said:
I don't think it matters what she is.

Any person reviewing the game for IGN or G4 will now know they are crucifying one of their work colleagues if they give her a bad review. That, on some level, has to effect impartiality.
Her role in this is pretty much the same as that of the woman who voiced Kelly Chambers in the second game, I doubt she's going to be in their minds when they're throwing that dart at the numbers 8 through 10.
This is a matter of principle though, not of quantity.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
TriggerHappyAngel said:
Watch this if you want a reason to dislike her:

snip
I see no reason to hate her there really... she's just a girl who got nervous and said something silly?

bjj hero said:
I thought she was a presenter rather than a journalist, I seriously doubt she writes or researches anything she says and I bet she rarely touches a controller. Her IGN segments tend to be nothing but hype and advertising.
I follow her twitter and she's actually a very nerdy, very enthusiastic gamer. Always going on about what level she's on, which boss she's fighting, what game she's playing.

Annoying? That's up to you. But she is definitely not a fake when it comes to being a gamer.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
I know it's unprofessional, and that games are important and not just for kids etc. But is 'conflict of interest' in bog standard game journalism with a non artistic, non ground breaking subject really a course for outrage? It just seems like a single article on a new game having bias is very unimportant in the grand scheme of things, or really any scheme of things.

DarthLurtz

Jun 8, 2009
I see her on Feedback all the time. Anyone who doubts the presenters because of the scripted TV shows that G4 broadcasts should look at what they do when they're not reading lines.

Chobot and many of the other G4 people come off as very intelligent and knowledgeable about what they discuss. I urge any of you to check it out.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Fr said:
anc[is]I haven't even heard of Chobot prior to this. All I know is that one screenshot of the character is absolutely horrid looking and it seems like they're trying to shove some supposedly well known female gamer down our throats like they did with Felicia Day in DA2.
Ugh, I skipped that DLC for DA2, this is really annoying too, people like this don't really appeal to me, so what if they are gamer girls? I'd prefer a good actor, thank you. Chobot is annoying, now every time this character she is playing speaks I'm going to lose immersion in the game.

Avionius

Sep 12, 2007
Well, it won't be the first time Bioware employees review their own games.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108482-BioWare-Employee-Busted-in-Dragon-Age-2-Review-Scandal-UPDATED

BenzSmoke

Nov 1, 2009
Wow, she looks hideous in game [http://cache.g4tv.com/ImageDb3/291416_S/mass-effect-3-jessica-chobot-a-romanceable-character.jpg].

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
VanTesla said:
My biggest problem is the animated face looks so bad and creepy...
Amen to that. I can deal with Chobot in my Mass Effect, i dont care for her all that much, but she might have a good voice. However, that face.. That ugly looking face.. It sends shivers down my spine whenever i look at it.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Hitchmeister said:
I'm sorry, did someone interpret that segment as anything other than a promotional puff piece by EA/Bioware?
Well that's the point. As gaming becomes more mainstream, non-enthusiast viewers will have a bit of trouble telling the difference because they're not really initiated into the quirks of videogame journalism.

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
There was a petition online to get Jess in ME3. I guess it came through.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Geezus I just looked up vids of this woman, why the fuck did they put her in the game. My god, why.

burymagnets

Nov 30, 2010
No! This woman is why I start ranting the second anyone mentions IGN!

If I have to put up with the Miley Cyrus of the internet, even for a minute, that's actually a major negetive for Mass Effect 3.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I'll be blunt, I have no freaking idea who this woman is, and to be frank I could not care less, the hatred directed towards her seems to be on par with the hatred against Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black, completely unfounded and childish.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Glad to read a column about this issue that didn't end up bashing IGN or making fun of Jessica Chobot's show or her in-game character.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Dennis Scimeca said:
Jessica Chobot and Mass Effect 3

Just how transparent do we want our news outlets.

Read Full Article
She comes off more as a lobbyist, I want to say. For a favourable mention on her show she gets a role in the game. Kinda like how oil lobbyists get free petrol. I apologize for the politics, but it was the only example I could think of.

With events such as the one you have reported, you can't dig one hole without digging one for every member of the games community. I'm not saying all are willing or have traded their integrity for money/goods, though it is obvious that more than a few have.

Our industry is built on one of trust, a trust that is becoming more and more easy to buy. I think we do need transparency.