Jewel Staite Offers Alternate Firefly Ending

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Jewel Staite Offers Alternate Firefly Ending

If Firefly's Kaylee had her way and the show didn't end prematurely, it would have ended up like this.

Joss Whedon's Firefly [http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Complete-Nathan-Fillion/dp/B0000AQS0F/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1284834521&sr=8-2] will always and forever be an example of what happens to good television when it's handled poorly. Episodes were aired irregularly and out of order, and the show was canceled after one season even though it's one of the best sci-fi shows ever. Jewel Staite, who played Kaylee, has her own ideas of where she would have taken Firefly if it had continued into multiple seasons.

In a celebrity blog on Blastr, Staite says that Firefly would ideally have gone nine seasons and perhaps even gotten a spin-off called Firefly: The Next Generation. She writes:

In my perfect imagination, [Firefly] ends a little something like this: Nine glorious seasons later, Kaylee and Simon have had several beautiful brunette babies, a couple of which have turned out to be crazy geniuses like their Auntie River (Firefly: the Next Generation?), and one who mysteriously looks a lot like Matthew Fox, who became a regular cast member in season six. River has finally found her marbles and is now captaining her own ship with her loyal second-in-command, Jayne, who claims that River is the best captain he's ever known. Saffron is now their mercenary, and Jayne's lover. And because this is the future and vast discoveries have been made in the world of medicine, Jayne is pregnant with their first child. Inara and Mal finally profess their undying love for each other while Inara is, well, dying in his arms (something gruesome, lotsa blood), and Mal finally realizes that life is short. And promptly confesses his (other) undying love to Zoe. And she promptly punches him in the face.

I don't care about any alternate endings that fan-fiction has come up with, a pregnant Jayne is possibly the best idea I've ever heard of for the show. And no incredibly lovable key characters seem to die in Staite's version of the Firefly future either, not that that happens in the actual series or anything.

The mention of a Next Generation-style Firefly show is interesting, and anything's possible, so maybe Whedon will offer such a thing to Firefly fans in the future. Something new has to come out of the show's cult-hit status someday, right?

*sad crickets*

Source: Blastr [http://blastr.com/2010/09/jewels-blog-2.php]

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
That is just pure distilled awesome, right there. I knew there was a reason I loved Jewel Staite so much... :D

Feb 13, 2008
Gonna get shot here...I know it...

[sub]I didn't really like Firefly - sorry[/sub]

[small]Ok, Christina Hendricks was lush but the rest, meh[/small]

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
that sounds amazing. wish Firefly hadn't been cancelled. Serenity was great but seemed very rushed where they had to cram in so much. a pregnant Jayne would be great. she has some brilliant ideas. here's hoping for the re-kindle: Next Generation

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
i wish serenity had kept some of the themes running in the show more, but then they had to toe the line to make the movie accessable to people that were not familiar with the show.

hell i had a friend of mine out of the blue that is not into scfi much tell me about this awsome move he saw called serenity. lol i told him to try and find the tv show it was better.

still not 100% convinced that they did all they could to get this show on the air again i mean when it was canned by fox scifi would have probably been open to the show it was not a mega budget show by any means, farscape was nearing the end of its run, nm the really bad movie that followed. firefly would have been a perfect fit for scifi and would have garnered an audience out that channels viewers.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
If that's how Jewel Staite acutally thinks, then I really need to hand it to Joss Wheadon:

Firefly was PERFECTLY cast.

I mean, that's exactly what Kahlee would say about the future of the series.

Fusionxl

Oct 25, 2009
I sadly haven't seen Firefly, but I loved Jewel State in Stargate Atlantis so I just found another reason to check it out. Not that I really needed one :p

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
zombie711 said:
still not 100% convinced that they did all they could to get this show on the air again i mean when it was canned by fox scifi would have probably been open to the show it was not a mega budget show by any means, farscape was nearing the end of its run, nm the really bad movie that followed. firefly would have been a perfect fit for scifi and would have garnered an audience out that channels viewers.
You're underestimating the difficulty in getting a canceled show picked up by another network. It happened to a handful of shows, most of which were far more successful in their original run than Firefly.

Whedon's gambit to keep Firefly alive was the movie. It didn't do well enough to justify anybody trying to continue the franchise.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
How many years ago did this show get canceled? Does it really matter all these years later? Leave the past were it belongs people and move on!

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
Firefly had one, epic season.
The View is on its... 14th season.

There Is No God.

Whiskey Echo!!
Mythgraven

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
And that is one of the reasons I love Jewel, a pregnant Jayne sounds awesome!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Heck, after reading all of that I want to have Jewel's baby.
They called him Jayne, matronly Jayne. Saved the Mudders and escaped from the law...Matron Jayne.
Ironic Pirate said:
Deviantart probably already has drawings of Jayne pregnant.

Hell, it probably has a group for it.
Must...resist...urge...to Google that.

Rynozeros

I'm on a boat
May 13, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
Skullkid4187 said:
How many years ago did this show get canceled? Does it really matter all these years later? Leave the past were it belongs people and move on!
Yeah who gives a shit about anything that happened more than a year or two ago? Like that crappy movie about wizards in space with swords made of light... Shit that was so long ago I don't even remember what it was called.
Pretty sure it was called Space Battles or something.

On topic ... Jewel's version of the Firefly future sounds epic. Too bad it will never happen. :(

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Oh, Ms. Staite, what I wouldn't give to romance you. I would give you so many strawberries...

Er, um... Anyways.

I dunno if I would be happy with a Firefly: The Next Generation... the main draw of the show was how the actors gelled together, and were able to play the dialogue so well BECAUSE of their synergy.

If I could find the clip, I'd post the scene where Saffron is brought onto Serenity for the first time, and everyone is joking around with Mal. To be more precise, Kaylee's calling Mal a monster.

I laugh every time.

zombie711 said:
I will never understand why people were so obsesed with this show

Skip to 0:48