Jezebel writer upset at no Chun-Li in Mortal Kombat trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Where in all the realms is Chun-Li? If there is a battle for the fate of Earth then don’t we need all of the greatest warriors gathered, which would include Chun-Li and her spinning bird kick that can knock a man’s head clean off? Sounds like a pretty big plot hole to me that the ultimate street fight is supposed to be won by a ragtag team helmed by Sonya Blade, no offense to the Sonya stans.
I mean this isn't the first time we've had something like this happen though at least this time the writer wasn't pretending to be a bi fighting game fan like when a writer at The Mary Sue did and claimed to love the Dead or Alive fighting game series only to fail to realise Dead or Alive extreme 3 was a beach Volleyball game in the long running spin off Beach Volleyball games.

Either way thought people could do with a bit of a laugh.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Please do not insult other users
Stop LOOKING to be outraged by "the left".

Seriously look at that article, it's a fan lamenting their character of choice didnt make it into an ensemble film. Then look at all the garbage you just wrote because that fan is on a website you dont like. If it were anywhere else you wouldn't even acknowledge it's existance.

Stop being a garbage person.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Oh, so it's "looking to be outraged" when it's "the left" at fault, but Obsidian's daily "This is how the cops are bad and Republicans are the devil" threads are just fine?
Such hypocrisy.

Anyway, he specifically said: "Either way thought people could do with a bit of a laugh."
Did you miss that part?

Geez, you can't even take it when your politically-aligned buddies are criticized, you have to lash out and call other people "garbage persons". Chill out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Seriously look at that article, it's a fan lamenting their character of choice didnt make it into an ensemble film. Then look at all the garbage you just wrote because that fan is on a website you dont like. If it were anywhere else you wouldn't even acknowledge it's existance.

Uh, I think the issue here is that Chun-Li is from Street Fighter, not Mortal Kombat. The writer is not an upset fan; they’re a putz. More so because Mortal Kombat’s OG female character - Sonya Blade - is front and centre of the trailer.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Uh, I think the issue here is that Chun-Li is from Street Fighter, not Mortal Kombat. The writer is not an upset fan; they’re a putz.
I bet Elijin doesn't even play video games.
Probably doesn't even know what a hadoken is.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

1613720095516.png

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Can't be arsed to laugh. It's just such a dumb nothing, you know? Like, you see it and you just let out a slightly annoyed sigh at the 'meh'-ness of it.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Any of you read the article? It's a positive article about a movie trailer, where the author tries to be relevant by throwing in a fighting game character whos name they know. It also includes a correction.

So, two major things here:
1. When someone of Dwarvens pedigree is like "Haha, look this writer is upset at a dumb thing. Remember other times women pretended to be interested in pop culture? Lets laugh at them."
I stand by my comment if this had happened on site the same scale as jezebel which WASNT jezebel, Dwarven wouldn't have acknowledged it.

2. Fighting games are a muddled mess of Franchise vs Franchise and guest characters. I didn't even think twice about where they belong, because the IP holders certainly dont.

It's not about political alignment, it's about the fact this thread is a not even hidden "Hahaha, women are dumb, look at them try and fail to be relevant at pop culture"

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
It's a positive article about a movie trailer, where the author tries to be relevant by throwing in a fighting game character whos name they know.
And it's funny because the fighting game character is from a completely different series!

Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

There's nothing more to it than that. Anything else is just you projecting your own insecurities.
Maybe work on that.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Strange I never mentioned political parties here so whose doing that again?

An Ensemble film that's of Mortal Kombat characters from the Mortal Kombat Franchise's history of being in Mortal Kombat non crossover games?

You see weirdly angry at what is a laughably dumb piece like I could write "The Distinct lack of Superman in the new Moral Kombat movie is rather obvious and detracts from the film" I mean has Superman been a mainstay of Mortal Kombat? No he did appear in like 1 game which was a cross over game between the universes but I wouldn't (and I don't think any reasonable person) would expect Superman to be in the new Mortal Kombat film.

So yeh I really don't get your rage and flying off the handle at joking about a dumb piece that was written here nor the weirdly bringing up partisanship when no-one said anything about that.........

Do you want me to fetch some-one to help you or something?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Strange I never mentioned political parties here so whose doing that again?
Y'know, this is a really good example of why people say "keep politics out of gaming!" or whatever.

You said: "writer mistakes Street Fighter for Mortal Kombat, lol!"

And Elijin heard: "WOMAN writer from LEFT-LEANING publication makes a mistake, proving once and for all that THEY SUCK!"
And then he goes: "How dare you MYSOGNISTS and REPUBLICANS looking to hate on WOMEN and THE LEFT! This is like that "fake gamer girl" thing from decades ago! You're all GARBAGE PEOPLE!"

We were having a good time, until he showed up and started making a political issue out of everything. This is what people don't like. This is why people say that phrase.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Any of you read the article? It's a positive article about a movie trailer, where the author tries to be relevant by throwing in a fighting game character whos name they know. It also includes a correction.

So, two major things here:
1. When someone of Dwarvens pedigree is like "Haha, look this writer is upset at a dumb thing. Remember other times women pretended to be interested in pop culture? Lets laugh at them."
I stand by my comment if this had happened on site the same scale as jezebel which WASNT jezebel, Dwarven wouldn't have acknowledged it.

2. Fighting games are a muddled mess of Franchise vs Franchise and guest characters. I didn't even think twice about where they belong, because the IP holders certainly dont.

It's not about political alignment, it's about the fact this thread is a not even hidden "Hahaha, women are dumb, look at them try and fail to be relevant at pop culture"
1) Chun-Li is about as relevant to Mortal Kombat as Superman is, maybe actually less so lol.
2) Idiocy is Idiocy regardless of the gender, I'm pretty sure I dunked on Ben Kurhcera "Tetris is Soviet propaganda" tweets back in the day too. Are you saying women should be above reproach because of their gender? Cause that really sounds kinda sexist to me.
3) Only to some degree.
4) I didn't actually even bring up the gender of the writer of the Jezebel piece lol, dumb is dumb regardless of gender. What next saying we can't criticise the Gorilla Glue girl because she a woman when that had nothing to really do with her gluing her hair to her head?

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I am saying jezebel is a feminist opinion piece site. Any time someone of your political leanings visits or links to them, you're looking to either mock them or be outraged by them. Example "Jezebel writer upset at no chun-li in mortal kombat trailer" - linked to a positive article about an upcoming movie trailer where the author tries to make a joke, and misses. Upset indeed.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I am saying jezebel is a feminist opinion piece site. Any time someone of your political leanings visits or links to them, you're looking to either mock them or be outraged by them. Example "Jezebel writer upset at no chun-li in mortal kombat trailer" - linked to a positive article about an upcoming movie trailer where the author tries to make a joke, and misses. Upset indeed.
If the author wanted to make a funny joke about a character not in the movie, actually nominating an obscure or niche one from the same franchise - Skarlet for instance - would have been a joke. Asking about the most famous female character from a different franchise is just ignorant AND makes them look like an idiot.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
If the author wanted to make a funny joke about a character not in the movie, actually nominating an obscure or niche one from the same franchise - Skarlet for instance - would have been a joke. Asking about the most famous female character from a different franchise is just ignorant AND makes them look like an idiot.
Im not contesting they were wrong. I have multiple times laid out that they tried and failed to make a pop culture reference joke.

Im pointing out the questionable intent of one of the local right wing trolls linking to jezebel claiming the writer "was upset" about a thing which was ultimately a gaffe on their end. Very important that that presentation does not match the tone of the linked article at all.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Y'all realize you're playing the game, right?

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I found the comparison to The Bridge (not the drama series but some reality show about building a bridge) pretty funny. Those two are practically the same: physical competition and on HBO Max.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Attributing a lot of motives to me based on very little evidence other than political bias.

It's funny I've said before I likely disagree with Houseman on a lot, hell you seem to just be operating under the assumption of my actual political position.

Status
Not open for further replies.