Jim and Yahtzee Join Forces in Rhymedown Spectacular

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Jim and Yahtzee Join Forces in Rhymedown Spectacular

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jim-yahtzees-rhymedown-spectacular]

A duo named Yahtzee and Jim /
took gaming to task for its sins. /
They each wrote a poem /
that they thought just might show 'em /
and they ended each bit with a grin.

This is the moment you've been waiting for, though you probably had no idea you were waiting for it until I just told you. The Escapist, home of Zero Punctuation and Jimquisition, has brought the stars of both series together at last, in what can only be described as a long-overdue ode to videogames. If you're familiar with these two personalities, then you know not to expect doting sonnets brimming with love and adoration. While they are sure to express what they love on occasion, I expect you're looking to their lyrical genius more for what riles them up than what calms them down. Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular will give you a weekly dose of videogame-related poetry every Wednesday, right here on The Escapist.

Whether you're a fan of Jim Sterling's scathing criticism of anything and everything in the games industry, or you're proud of your unabashed fondness for Yahtzee's bile-and-snark-filled treatment of the latest titles, Rhymedown Spectacular has your wants and desires well in hand. All of this will be done in fittingly poetic style, of course, with both Jim and Yahtzee presenting their latest lyrical labor of love.

If you aren't convinced it can get any better than Yahtzee's Wolfenstein review in limerick [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/916-Wolfenstein], don't take my word for it. Check it out below, and be sure to come back every Wednesday for more prose from the pros.

[video=7140]

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
I don't think the internet can withstand this amount of awesome... maybe this truly is the very end of the internet.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
I was watching it, when suddenly it dawned on me why Yahtzee looks strange.. He has a beard.. He looks like a Bond villain, it's beautiful.

BushMonstar

Jan 25, 2012
I just started cracking up at the PS4 Metaphor part. That was brilliant, Yahtzee. Really looking forward to seeing more of this series.

Kaiser6012

Mar 10, 2010
Gailim said:
Yahtzee didn't rhyme very well
Sure he did - it just wasn't the standard ABAB rhyming scheme one normally sees, forgone for more lengthy and rambling metre (as fits Yahtzee's online persona). I personally felt it to be a better wrought poem - more solidly put together and less rhythmically locked-in than Jim's, lending it a freer, more artistically realized delivery.
Also, poems don't have to rhyme to be considered poems. The definition's rather broad like that.

That being said, both were marvelous and the combination of Jim and Yahtzee is sublime. I know there's probably not going to end up being integration of the two. since they live on different hemispheres of the world, but this could be... well, fun! Keep up the good work!

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Gailim said:
Yahtzee didn't ryhme very well

but Jim did

Jim wins week 1
well, he did, in a way - just that his rhymes had too many words in between each rhyming point,...at least as far a I could follow.
also jim wins, yeah
overall though....some lines really sounded off. maybe it gets better next time.
also, EVERY WEEK? oh my, I'd go insane rhyming that much about video games.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
So this is the new show Susan was worried about. Seems to be getting a decent reception so far. I thought it was pretty funny :p

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
A good first start, this is certainly something I'll be looking forward to

I thought Jim had a better rhyming flow, but Yahtzee had a better persona

vid87

May 17, 2010
Elate said:
I was watching it, when suddenly it dawned on me why Yahtzee looks strange.. He has a beard.. He looks like a Bond villain, it's beautiful.
Replace "Bond" with "Die Hard" and that's my thought exactly.

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
ok first off the picture of yahtzee in the intro is scary. second love poems and this was fantastic. and third i want yahtzee to read the raven to me.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Eternal_Lament said:
A good first start, this is certainly something I'll be looking forward to

I thought Jim had a better rhyming flow, but Yahtzee had a better persona
Ye Jim was looking at his notes for too long and too often, but to be blunt, it's the first video so it ain't gonna be perfect. The future of this series, if it even is one, looks promising!

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Okay. That's it. Time for all other internet functions to shut down. We have now achieved the greatest thing imaginable; all else is only a backwards step.

[sub](Also, Yahtzee wins. No, I don't care that it wasn't a competition.)[/sub]

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I liked this, but arnt you spreading your main people thin? Both making vids and columns every week, especially Jim with his movie cop thing that i like. I hope this extra thing they are doing doesnt make their other columns/vids worse due to over stretching themselves.