Jim Sterling in court.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
A few month's back Jim fucking sterling son revealed in a Jimquesition that the by now infamous Indie developer Digital homicide had threatened to Sue him in Arizon where even a corrected article can lead to a lawsuit. This is because Jim once said a piece of content was stolen when it was in fact sold before he found out he was wrong and corrected it.

And if this isn't false then it does seem Digi hom went and sued Jim.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1197775

It could very well be fake but Jim himself said that he's not talking about any legal stuff but he found himself in a ''confidant mood'. That could be a hint to this being true.

And here is that previous episode where Jim talks about Digital homicide playing with the idea of sueing him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbqxPgK87dM

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh...OH! Right! Yeah, no. He's still a thing. I honestly keep forgetting about him. Maybe its because I don't have a reddit which from what I understand he's big on, but once every ten days or so I always say "OH! Who was that one guy?!"

But I guess sucks?!

Also can someone explain Arizona law? You can sue in Arizona over shit that happened in another state, specifically redacted and corrected facts in articles? 'cause when I was a Sophomore, my school year book said my birth year was 199, not 1990. In Missouri.
Can I just sue the school in Arizona and get a hundred million?! 'cause I'd totally do that!!

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Digital Homicide said:
Hello all,

I am unfortunately here asking for help as I've taken massive losses from false statements said about me, my brother/business partner, and my small game development company. The damages on my products alone are very large including emotional and punitive damage requests.
Oh my god. Massive EMOTIONAL damage? I... what... is this how litigation works in the United States?

Have these two loons been taking notes from Donald Trump?

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
I think they're hoping to gain the same fame that Hatred did, only it's not working.

EDIT: You know, DH may not want to go through with this. It may drag up a lot of uncomfortable things if Jim wins. Everyone will basically take it as "Jim Sterling was not convicted because he was right" rather than by legal technicalities.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It's worth noting they only claim to have filed. If I'm right, that doesn't mean the case has been accepted by the court.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Dizchu said:
Digital Homicide said:
Hello all,

I am unfortunately here asking for help as I've taken massive losses from false statements said about me, my brother/business partner, and my small game development company. The damages on my products alone are very large including emotional and punitive damage requests.
Oh my god. Massive EMOTIONAL damage? I... what... is this how litigation works in the United States?

I wonder how much he going to raise to help him in his case. Because I think at this point Jim was about the only person left buying Digital Homicides games to rip them to shreds. Everyone else thinks they are a joke, I can't see them raising more than $100, that is not going to get them very far.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I was wondering how they were going to raise the money given to their "lackluster" games after Slaughtering Ground (I saw the donation page). Yeah given that nobody will buy their games no matter how cheap they are, I doubt anyone will donate to their cause unless it's another companies that Jim had made fun of (like that super low fps skater game thing).

What's next? The creator of Bear Simulator gonna sue PewDiePie for his video made against his game?

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
PainInTheAssInternet said:
I think they're hoping to gain the same fame that Hatred did, only it's not working.

EDIT: You know, DH may not want to go through with this. It may drag up a lot of uncomfortable things if Jim wins. Everyone will basically take it as "Jim Sterling was not convicted because he was right" rather than by legal technicalities.
This is a civil case, not a criminal case, Jim can't be convicted, just held liable for monetary and emotional damage done to Digital Homicide.

Dizchu said:
Digital Homicide said:
Hello all,

Well it works this way, in that you can sue for anything in the US, granted they're not likely to win, or even settle, and Jim will probably counter sue if he gets dragged to court.

OT: Yeah Digital Homicide may well have filed a law suit, but they don't have a case, no judge in his right mind is going to let this stand if they did file a case. This is the sort of civil case that gets thrown out by a judge who then calls the plaintiff(s) stupid in throwing the case out.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:

This is a civil case, not a criminal case, Jim can't be convicted, just held liable for monetary and emotional damage done to Digital Homicide.
Ah yeah. That's what I meant. I got my terminology all screwed.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
Silvanus said:
It's worth noting they only claim to have filed. If I'm right, that doesn't mean the case has been accepted by the court.
No, it's real. The court docs are online (but of course you have pay to view and download them thanks to PACER).

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/arizona/azdce/2:2016cv00604/969057
https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/10890330/Romine_v_Stanton

I have a hard time believing, based on the Digital Homicide website's description of the company's greivances, that the complaint has a fucking legal leg to stand on for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that DH doesn't have an actual lawyer, but 1) I haven't read the complaint or related docs (I'll download them later), and 2) stranger things have happened with libel/lander/defamation cases in the U.S., especially ones that involve companies that (supposedly) can prove tangible damage to their business.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Dizchu said:
Digital Homicide said:
Hello all,

Yes. My relatives are on the receiving end of a lawsuit now. The stupid runs deep.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
Guilion said:
I won't believe jackshit until Jim himself confirms this. I'm tired of people taking whatever Neogaf says seriously, at this point they are the internet version of those books were idiotic highschool girls write unfounded gossip on the people they hate.
It's real. The court docs are online, though behind a paywall. See my previous post.

Also, something worth noting -- this could just be a stunt on the part of Digital Homicide. I mean, the lawsuit is *real* but the company might know it doesn't stand much of chance. They haven't retained a lawyer yet (you can still file a lawsuit without an attorney) and the company statement on the website is very careful not to mention Sterling by name (which, interestingly enough, could be seen as defaming Sterling if the company were to directly accuse him of enciting/encouraging threats and harassment). Seems like a not-so veiled threat toward Sterling and any critics thinking about slamming DH -- which is a stupid move, but whatever.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
http://www.digitalhomicide.ninja/#!lawsuits-information/psyu3

Take a moment to read this.

It's reads like something that was put through a translator. I'd assume it was written by someone who was not a native English speaker, but the Digihom guys are English-speaking Americans.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Frankly I'm amazed they've went through with this, even with their past relationship with Jim Sterling and that bewildering interview. Lord knows what they actually hope to gain from this. Their name has been forever damaged by their attitude.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Exley97 said:
Silvanus said:
No, it's real. The court docs are online (but of course you have pay to view and download them thanks to PACER).

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/arizona/azdce/2:2016cv00604/969057
https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/10890330/Romine_v_Stanton

I have a hard time believing, based on the Digital Homicide website's description of the company's greivances, that the complaint has a fucking legal leg to stand on for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that DH doesn't have an actual lawyer, but 1) I haven't read the complaint or related docs (I'll download them later), and 2) stranger things have happened with libel/lander/defamation cases in the U.S., especially ones that involve companies that (supposedly) can prove tangible damage to their business.
I stand corrected. How very easy it must be to waste legal resources.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014

And if Jim loses, well, I don't think that will stop the harassment at all...