Jim Sterling in court.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
These guys could never take any criticism, and he talked to them over skype and put it up with his podcasts which they were aware so it wasn't sneaky or anything. They call him a parasite, ask him if he knows what a leech is and seem to think the whole debacle over their take downs of his videos are the reason he's "famous" and such. He asks them actual questions and never gets real answers etc, they don't have a leg to stand on here.

They will get laughed out of court.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Fun Fact: Jim works for Polaris, which in terms is owned by Maker Studios which is owned by Disney, They are pretty much suing Disney.

Good luck with that.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Im Lang said:
CaitSeith said:
Game developers now are suing critics...

That's shameful.
Yeah! Only disgruntled gamers should be allowed to do that!
The most they have done is a FTC complaint. A lawsuit for "psychological damages" is a new low.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Dizchu said:
Digital Homicide said:
Hello all,

I am unfortunately here asking for help as I've taken massive losses from false statements said about me, my brother/business partner, and my small game development company. The damages on my products alone are very large including emotional and punitive damage requests.
Oh my god. Massive EMOTIONAL damage? I... what... is this how litigation works in the United States?

Have these two loons been taking notes from Donald Trump?
...A woman successfully sued for 55 million dollars for emotional damage because someone recorded her while she was naked in a hotel. Somehow, the emotional damage she suffered from people seeing her naked is worth 5-10 times more than the average human life (EPA = 9 million, FDA = 8 million, DoT = 6 million)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/08/business/media/erin-andrews-awarded-55-million-in-lawsuit-over-nude-video-at-hotel.html?_r=0

Emotional damages is boo coo bucks. If she lost her legs instead, she might get 1/5 of that money instead like this man.

https://www.montlick.com/montlick-blog/medical-malpractice/2093-man-files-10-million-lawsuit-after-weight-loss-surgery-leads-to-leg-amputation

Just think, you will work your ass off your entire life and not see even an remote fraction of that money over the course of your life, but if someone recorded you naked you would be set for life.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
tf2godz said:
Fun Fact: Jim works for Polaris, which in terms is owned by Maker Studios which is owned by Disney, They are pretty much suing Disney.

Good luck with that.
As far as I know, no. Jim is self-employed.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Im Lang said:
Are you sure that you're not just comparing the relative quality of their lawyers?
(shrugs)

The quality of your lawyer should not determine how much money you get from a lawsuit. It should be dependent on the damages.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Zhukov said:
http://www.digitalhomicide.ninja/#!lawsuits-information/psyu3

Take a moment to read this.

It's reads like something that was put through a translator. I'd assume it was written by someone who was not a native English speaker, but the Digihom guys are English-speaking Americans.
I love that that "collecting information for a countersuit" is listed as one of his supposed crimes. Damn you Sterling with your preperation and self-defense! Boo!

...and they say they've been falsely accused of doxxing and then proceed to show Jim Sterling's real full name later on the same bloody page!

...and they accuse him of Assault! Fucking WHAT!

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
tf2godz said:

Good luck with that.
I want the Jim Sterling/Digital Homicide trial to be a level in Kingdom Hearts 3!

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
CaitSeith said:
tf2godz said:

Good luck with that.
As far as I know, no. Jim is self-employed.
He at least at one point worked there and I doubt he lost his connection and friends when he left, so I doubt if this lawsuit happens he's going to fight this alone

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Yeah, DH have been threatening to do this for a while. But I personally thought they neither had the balls, nor the money.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Oh wow, they actually did it, I can't even imagine what crazy lawyer actually looked at this case and said 'yes, you are completely correct sir, this man has damaged you! How dare he. I shall fight for your legal rights!'

I mean I know they were threatening this shit all over the place but I'm actually extremely tickled at the levels of delusion this has reached. They have no leg to stand on, none. Jim could kick that leg and have it topple over with the mere mention of right to free speech and fair use. I don't know exactly what they're trying to say he did that isn't massively protected under U.S. and State law.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Exley97 said:
It's real. The court docs are online, though behind a paywall. See my previous post.

Also, something worth noting -- this could just be a stunt on the part of Digital Homicide. I mean, the lawsuit is *real* but the company might know it doesn't stand much of chance. They haven't retained a lawyer yet (you can still file a lawsuit without an attorney) and the company statement on the website is very careful not to mention Sterling by name (which, interestingly enough, could be seen as defaming Sterling if the company were to directly accuse him of enciting/encouraging threats and harassment). Seems like a not-so veiled threat toward Sterling and any critics thinking about slamming DH -- which is a stupid move, but whatever.
Thanks for confirming this.

It's a strange and, as you note, fairly foolish move.

I suppose it's far too early to tell exactly what is happening or going to happen.
In a odd way, I'm kinda impressed.
Just when you think there's nothing more the DH folk can do to bury their reputation in the dirt further, they do the metaphorical equivalent of breaking out a deep core drill.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Charli said:
Oh wow, they actually did it, I can't even imagine what crazy lawyer actually looked at this case and said 'yes, you are completely correct sir, this man has damaged you! How dare he. I shall fight for your legal rights!'

I mean I know they were threatening this shit all over the place but I'm actually extremely tickled at the levels of delusion this has reached. They have no leg to stand on, none. Jim could kick that leg and have it topple over with the mere mention of right to free speech and fair use. I don't know exactly what they're trying to say he did that isn't massively protected under U.S. and State law.
There's a lot of lawyers out there that would try to sue a ham sandwhich as long as you paid them. I'm not surprised that they found *someone* to do it.

Man, I just hope someone records the proceedings (if that's legal in Arizona), because this can only end in unmitigated disaster for the DH crew. Jim Sterling has never said anything that wasn't true about their games, and he retracted and pointed out the one thing in that one article that turned out to be false. He's also said, on multiple forms of social media along with his videos themselves, for his fans to specifically *not* harass anyone he talks about. If they want to sue the people who harassed them anonymously, that's one thing (I know a few celebrities have tried), but that's a whole different legal battle that Jim is totally unconnected to. Jim, and his (presumably better) lawyer is going to destroy these clowns.

The part I loved was where they claimed that a lot of the people harassing them weren't just assholes, but *competitors*. Foreign indie game developers trying to push poor Digital Homicide out of the marketplace. What magical fantasy world do these people live in, and how relevant do they think that they actually are? I've listened to the podcast where Jim interviews one of the DH guys and I literally cannot imagine that dude defending himself in front of a court room in any kind of intelligent, adult manner. Man, this is going to be such a shitshow XD

This has to be a scam. Like, just, collect a bunch of donations and then remove the claim. Or, pay their lawyer the minimal amount and then pocket the rest when the case inevitably gets thrown out. This has to be a scam.

Gogo Team Sterling.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Game developers now are suing critics...

That's shameful.
You know, if this were true, DH should take a page from Konami and not bother. Jim invented a meme that overtly says "Fuck Konami", and then proceeds to ream the hell out of them. Why would it work for a small-timer if the bigwigs have more and better reasons to be pissed, and they don't do anything?