Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Mangod said:
Isn't trolling the courts punishable?
Yep. On the one hand there's Contempt of Court - usually by either being rude or disrespectful to legal authorities in the courtroom, or wilfully failing to obey a court order - and on the other hand there are both frivolous and vexatious lawsuits. Frivolous describes lawsuits so trivial or devoid of merit that they are not even worth the cost of investigation (See for instance the case of Man vs. Himself). Vexatious describes lawsuits brought forth for the sole purpose of harassing or otherwise subduing an adversary. Both of them can incur legal sanctions.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Asita said:
Mangod said:
Isn't trolling the courts punishable?
Yep. On the one hand there's Contempt of Court - usually by either being rude or disrespectful to legal authorities in the courtroom, or wilfully failing to obey a court order - and on the other hand there are both frivolous and vexatious lawsuits. Frivolous describes lawsuits so trivial or devoid of merit that they are not even worth the cost of investigation (See for instance the case of Man vs. Himself). Vexatious describes lawsuits brought forth for the sole purpose of harassing or otherwise subduing an adversary. Both of them can incur legal sanctions.
Just looked up vexatious litigation on Wikipedia, which is described as:

Wikipedia said:
Vexatious litigation is legal action which is brought, regardless of its merits, solely to harass or subdue an adversary. It [...] may be the repetitive, burdensome, and unwarranted filing of meritless motions in a matter which is otherwise a meritorious cause of action.
Sound like anyone we know?

Gades

Jul 13, 2016
Jim Sterling has posted a public response to Romine's move on his TwitLonger. http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spjiga

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Gades said:
Jim Sterling has posted a public response to Romine's move on his TwitLonger. http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spjiga
Wait, Romine supports his Patreon to prove he has jurisdiction in Arizona? How is that legal? That seems like a bullfuck loophole that any judge would find suspicious, especially considering they're suing him. What, he goes before a judge, say "I gave Jim some money, therefore he runs a business in Arizona, and I want my money back!"

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
Silentpony said:
Gades said:
Wait, Romine supports his Patreon to prove he has jurisdiction in Arizona? How is that legal? That seems like a bullfuck loophole that any judge would find suspicious, especially considering they're suing him. What, he goes before a judge, say "I gave Jim some money, therefore he runs a business in Arizona, and I want my money back!"
That's probably not even going to fly. It's my understanding that "selling things online that someone in Arizona could purchase" does not count as "does business in Arizona". He'd have to do some kind of 'directed' business in Arizona, like have business partners there or somehow specifically target Arizona as a market.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Fsyco said:
Silentpony said:
Gades said:
That's probably not even going to fly. It's my understanding that "selling things online that someone in Arizona could purchase" does not count as "does business in Arizona". He'd have to do some kind of 'directed' business in Arizona, like have business partners there or somehow specifically target Arizona as a market.
That's kinda' what I hoped it'd be. Jurisdiction in the state of the business, not the state people buy stuff in. I mean its not like Jim's fans in Japan can claim Jim has international business deals.

Let alone the fact Romine filed this in a Federal court.

Gades

Jul 13, 2016
Also: noticed by a Reddit user in Jim reddit, an old Stamp makes a triumphant return http://i.imgur.com/WotDwoH.png It is at the top of Page1.

Elwes

May 4, 2016
Gades said:
Also: noticed by a Reddit user in Jim reddit, an old Stamp makes a triumphant return http://i.imgur.com/WotDwoH.png It is at the top of Page1.
To be honest, the next thing I'm expecting a repeat of previous instances where James Romine files something, then it's knocked back by the court clerks for being too long - then he has to ask for permission to submit it again, then does that wrong, then eventually files the paperwork he wanted to file in the first place. (See docket items #11, 17, 23, 27 and 33).

It could be a while before we see anything substantive going on (I still think the judge is going to continue, since this stage of the case is only about whether there is the possibility of a valid case, rather than ruling on the merits of the case itself).

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Silentpony said:
Gades said:
These are the guys who took a video of Jim joking about creating a genetically engineered army with mad science (i.e. a prop carrot and syringe) and said "GOTCHA! Undeniable evidence that you encourage people to harass us".

No, there isn't any missing context explaining how that makes any fucking sense. NOTHING is too ridiculous for these clowns.

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
Am I the only one to have noticed that the new complaint alleges that Jim was conspiring with people to bring down The Romines? (Page 32, item 93). James Romine thinks Jim "conspired" with, and I quote, "ECC Games of Poland Members, Members within the Steam Community, and members of the Plaintiffs [sic] business partner Valve". He then goes on to say that Jim didn't have due diligence in reporting on the Romines and their games? I knew he was delusional, but he seems to have really gone off the deep end here.

Addendum: They also claim that when Jim tweeted "I wrote an article on everything we know about the DigiHom/ECC weirdness", the "we" is evidence he was collaborating with others as part of a larger effort to tank Digital Homicide.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
I wonder if the quality of the response can combine with the timing to really screw over the Romnies. I'm sure the judge won't take to kindly to filing so late and providing nothing of substance on top of all the new bullshit.

Cap'nPipsqueak

Jul 2, 2016
Fsyco said:
Am I the only one to have noticed that the new complaint alleges that Jim was conspiring with people to bring down The Romines? (Page 32, item 93). James Romine thinks Jim "conspired" with, and I quote, "ECC Games of Poland Members, Members within the Steam Community, and members of the Plaintiffs [sic] business partner Valve".
Also the Martians the phantom-skeleton-zombie-ghosts of dimension V-998 and that weird quiet guy at the end of the street who owns all those fucking cats.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
For some reason, I keep getting visions of this going to trial (in some crazy alternate dimension) and you hear "the Plaintiff calls to the stand... The Cornflake Homonculous!!!"
Bizarre shit. Honestly bizarre. I think Jim inadvertently broke these folks and this is as close to a live-feed of their degenerative condition as we can get.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
For some reason, I keep getting visions of this going to trial (in some crazy alternate dimension) and you hear "the Plaintiff calls to the stand... The Cornflake Homonculous!!!"
Bizarre shit. Honestly bizarre. I think Jim inadvertently broke these folks and this is as close to a live-feed of their degenerative condition as we can get.
His testimony will just consist of "I SHOULD NOT BE!" and "EAT KELLOGS CORN FLAKES!".

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
Out of curiosity, does the amended complaint extend the February 10th deadline if it's found to be insufficiently changed? Like, if the judge decides that the new complaint doesn't comply with the order, will this get dismissed outright by the deadline? Or does the fact that a new complaint was filed extend the deadline somewhat, since it counts as an amended complaint and the court has to review it, even if it's total garbage?

Elwes

May 4, 2016
Fsyco said:
Out of curiosity, does the amended complaint extend the February 10th deadline...
I don't know for sure, but I would say that it meets the February 10th deadline.

The judge asked for an updated complaint (and/or a lawyer) and got one. Job done.
Now things continue as normal, based on the updated complaint.

In one sense, James Romine has met the courts directive to remove DHS as a party to the complaint. Although I'm not sure "Change ALL -> Digital Homicide Studios -> Micro Strategic Designs" and then add a few more rants for good measure was really what the judge was looking for.

I suppose if the judge has something in his diary for the 9th like "Review Romine -vs- Stanton", then the deadline might mean something. My guess is not and things will be extended by either the court clerks rejecting his paperwork again or Jim Sterling's lawyers responding to the updated complaint.

Gades

Jul 13, 2016
Fsyco said:
Out of curiosity, does the amended complaint extend the February 10th deadline if it's found to be insufficiently changed? Like, if the judge decides that the new complaint doesn't comply with the order, will this get dismissed outright by the deadline? Or does the fact that a new complaint was filed extend the deadline somewhat, since it counts as an amended complaint and the court has to review it, even if it's total garbage?
Difficult to say...

On one hand, he comply before the deadline with an amended complaint.

On the other, he is still claiming damages in name of a nameless third party (more than one, now that he has brought Microstrategic Game designs to the mix). Plus, the amended Complaint is just a copy of the original Complaint the Judge ruled against with new 11 points added to it I believe.

The lawsuit is however still called Romine v Stanton, and in his order the Judge agree with the defense that Romine was not the correct entity (the Lack of Standing) to be suing Sterling for nameless third parties (Robert and DHS). If he wants to continue suing Pro Se, he has to drop all references to DigiHom and Robert from the lawsuit.

If he wants to continue to claim damages suffered by DHSLLC, his brother and himself he needs to bring a lawyer so he can amend and filed the lawsuit PROPERLY as "Digital Homicide Studios LLC and Party (James Romine and Robert Romine) v James Nicholas Stanton.

Romine both comply and failed to comply with the Judge's order. So we dunno what's going to happened on Friday, if anything happens at all. I hope it ends on Friday, cause it has gone far too long on a case (as proven by the fact that in over a year failed to get a lawyer at all) lacks any merit what so ever.

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
Elwes said:
Fsyco said:
Out of curiosity, does the amended complaint extend the February 10th deadline...
I don't know for sure, but I would say that it meets the February 10th deadline.

The judge asked for an updated complaint (and/or a lawyer) and got one. Job done.
The judge said "an amended complaint that complies with this order", so I'm thinking it might be possible that if the new complaint does not comply with the order (IE, the judge determines that Romine's little magic trick of bringing in Microstrato-whatever as a 'missing link' doesn't count as complying with the order) then it gets dismissed outright. Granted, it'll take some time to review the complaint, so I suspect you're right about this.

Gades said:
The lawsuit is however still called Romine v Stanton, and in his order the Judge agree with the defense that Romine was not the correct entity (the Lack of Jurisdiction) to be suing Sterling for nameless third parties (Robert and DHS). If he wants to continue suing Pro Se, he has to drop all references to DigiHom and Robert from the lawsuit.
Wait, I thought this was Lack of Standing. Lack of Jurisdiction was the bit about Jim doesn't meet minimum contacts for Romine to sue him in Arizona? Or do I have that wrong?

Gades

Jul 13, 2016
Fsyco said:
Gades said:
The lawsuit is however still called Romine v Stanton, and in his order the Judge agree with the defense that Romine was not the correct entity (the Lack of Jurisdiction) to be suing Sterling for nameless third parties (Robert and DHS). If he wants to continue suing Pro Se, he has to drop all references to DigiHom and Robert from the lawsuit.
Wait, I thought this was Lack of Standing. Lack of Jurisdiction was the bit about Jim doesn't meet minimum contacts for Romine to sue him in Arizona? Or do I have that wrong?
Oops! My bad, I always confuse the two. I wanted to say "Lack of Standing". Thanks for the correction.:D

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Could the fact that Mr Romine altered his complaint from being against the entire company to against him be used as evidence against him even if he was ordered to by the judge (or hire a lawyer to keep it against the company)?