Jim Sterling Leaves Destructoid (UPDATE: Jim Joins The Escapist!)

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Dale North just tweeted that Jim is leaving Destructoid. Do you think he might take to reviewing here? Has he left the review game entirely? So many questions!

https://twitter.com/DaleNorth/status/396335783646605312
Dear Destructoid readers and friends,

Destructoid and Jim Sterling part ways today. Jim has been an important part of Destructoid since our earliest days, so I'm sad to see him go. Really sad. Totally bummed.

Change is the only constant in our strange little internet world, as you know. It turned out that where Destructoid and Jim were moving toward didn't line up anymore. So Jim and I have come to a mutual agreement this week: for us to continue on our paths, we'll have to do so separately.

I like to imagine that we are friends that have fought in the same trenches in wars these past five or so years. But now Jim is moving to a fight on a new front in the war. Though we're no longer in the same company, we can both continue pushing forward, knowing that the other is out there fighting the good fight.

And just like any good soldier, I will always have Jim's back.

And you never know where the war will take us -- I'm sure we'll be fighting alongside each other someday.

Jim, thanks so much for everything.
Anyone know how to embed tweets?

EDIT: Jim confirms:
https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/396335757755166720
Dear friends and lovers,

Today I announce my departure from Destructoid.com as serving reviews editor and all-around sexy boy. I have been with Destructoid since, Christ, when was it? 2006? Back then, Nick "Brutal" Chester was the editor-in-chief, and he told me the readers love it when you mention Pokemans. I've never forgotten that advice. I'll also never forget my first post -- a news article on reviving dead Xbox 360s with towels. Readers responded with "Who the fuck is Jim Sterling?" It's a question that remained poignant throughout my entire career.

Who the fuck am I? I've gone from vulgar wildcard to slightly-more-vulgar wildcard to slightly-less-vulgar-kind-of-okay-guy. I've evolved from wannabe games journalist to proud games blogger to fiercely proud consumer advocate. I have been called a sexist and a vagina warrior radical feminist -- sometimes in the same day! I've been a newshound, an interviewer, a producer, a critic, and an asshole, and I owe all that Destructoid.

But as I constantly change, so too does Destructoid, and my continually expanding duties in the field of games media mean I cannot give Destructoid what it needs from me at this time of extreme evolution. Destructoid needs in its reviews editor a particular kind of writer, one absolutely fully dedicated to the company and its expansion. Meanwhile, my career is a wild and thrashing thing, and while I'll spend the next few days trying to consolidate the monster, both Destructoid's Dale North and I are in agreement that whatever form my life takes, it will not achieve the synergy we'd need from each other.

To Dale North, I wish nothing but luck in what's going to be a difficult and exciting time ahead. To Conrad Zimmerman and Jonathan Holmes, CHUNGUS CHUNGUS CHUNGUS. But seriously, you two are my friends, my very dear friends. To Chris Carter, you are Lil' Pumpy. To Jordan Devore, your work is astonishing. To Hamza Aziz, god you look hot in a suit. To everybody I've worked with at Destructoid over the years -- thank you. Thank you.

To Niero Gonzalez, my friend, and the one man I've truly called Boss ... my fealty is hard-won, and you made it look effortless.

So what is in my future? Well, I will still be bringing you video content in the form of Jimquisition, Movie Defense Force, Rhymedown Spectacular, and the JimSterling YouTube channel. I also am not done as a games critic. I still need an actual friggin' job, right, and I'm not good at anything else. Yes, I know many of you think I suck even at reviewing, but I still plan to be deeply involved in the process of videogame criticism, wherever I end up. It'll just be a job far more focused on exactly that, at a rate I can commit to.

I still remain a friend to Destructoid, and a personal chum of everyone there. And there's nothing saying you won't see us share a stage again.

Sincere love to everybody,
Jim Sterling.
EDIT 2: Jim Sterling Joins The Escapist
Slycne said:
I'm @TheEscapistMag [https://twitter.com/TheEscapistMag]'s reviews editor.

? Jim Sterling (@JimSterling) November 6, 2013 [https://twitter.com/JimSterling/statuses/398107844576174081]

As a few of you guessed and hoped, Jim will indeed be joining the site.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'd love for him to be reviewing here :D Or some sort of column, much like Yahtzee has here with Extra Punctuation would also be great.

Although in all honesty, wherever and whatever he ends up doing, I'll follow it anyway, since it's Jim. My main worry at the moment is what is going to happen to Podtoid. =P

[sub]In fact, after his return this week, I'm wondering if Max Scoville had anything to do with this turn of events![/sub]

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Nooooooo! Why Jimothy why?!!
Oh bollocks. That's just sad. Well, at least his YouTube channel is still up and going. But what will happen to Podtoid?! I won't survive without weekly dose of Chungus!

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
I'd suggest that he was fired because of his Batman review, but I'm sure Jim would make more of a fuss if that was the truth. But he was fired. Or else he'd have a job lined up already. Now, we can all speculate on why without ever knowing because I don't think Jim will ever tell. He's too much of a sexy gentleman.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well that's a shame. Why do I get the feeling that we might see reviews on his YouTube channel soon?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
rasputin0009 said:
I'd suggest that he was fired because of his Batman review, but I'm sure Jim would make more of a fuss if that was the truth. But he was fired. Or else he'd have a job lined up already. Now, we can all speculate on why without ever knowing because I don't think Jim will ever tell. He's too much of a sexy gentleman.
He actually said it wasn't about his Batman review.
I imagine he's probably telling the truth mainly because, like you said, he doesn't seem like someone who would keep quiet on something like that :p

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/396337883088293889

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
rasputin0009 said:
Jim has posted more controversial stuff before.

Why exactly would a Batman review land him the axe?

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Source: [a href="http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rqsrbv"]TwitLonger[/a]

Today I announce my departure from Destructoid.com as serving reviews editor and all-around sexy boy. I have been with Destructoid since, Christ, when was it? 2006? Back then, Nick "Brutal" Chester was the editor-in-chief, and he told me the readers love it when you mention Pokemans. I've never forgotten that advice. I'll also never forget my first post -- a news article on reviving dead Xbox 360s with towels. Readers responded with "Who the fuck is Jim Sterling?" It's a question that remained poignant throughout my entire career.

Who the fuck am I? I've gone from vulgar wildcard to slightly-more-vulgar wildcard to slightly-less-vulgar-kind-of-okay-guy. I've evolved from wannabe games journalist to proud games blogger to fiercely proud consumer advocate. I have been called a sexist and a vagina warrior radical feminist -- sometimes in the same day! I've been a newshound, an interviewer, a producer, a critic, and an asshole, and I owe all that Destructoid.

But as I constantly change, so too does Destructoid, and my continually expanding duties in the field of games media mean I cannot give Destructoid what it needs from me at this time of extreme evolution. Destructoid needs in its reviews editor a particular kind of writer, one absolutely fully dedicated to the company and its expansion. Meanwhile, my career is a wild and thrashing thing, and while I'll spend the next few days trying to consolidate the monster, both Destructoid's Dale North and I are in agreement that whatever form my life takes, it will not achieve the synergy we'd need from each other.

To Dale North, I wish nothing but luck in what's going to be a difficult and exciting time ahead. To Conrad Zimmerman and Jonathan Holmes, CHUNGUS CHUNGUS CHUNGUS. But seriously, you two are my friends, my very dear friends. To Chris Carter, you are Lil' Pumpy. To Jordan Devore, your work is astonishing. To Hamza Aziz, god you look hot in a suit. To everybody I've worked with at Destructoid over the years -- thank you. Thank you.

To Niero Gonzalez, my friend, and the one man I've truly called Boss ... my fealty is hard-won, and you made it look effortless.

So what is in my future? Well, I will still be bringing you video content in the form of Jimquisition, Movie Defense Force, Rhymedown Spectacular, and the JimSterling YouTube channel. I also am not done as a games critic. I still need an actual friggin' job, right, and I'm not good at anything else. Yes, I know many of you think I suck even at reviewing, but I still plan to be deeply involved in the process of videogame criticism, wherever I end up. It'll just be a job far more focused on exactly that, at a rate I can commit to.

I still remain a friend to Destructoid, and a personal chum of everyone there. And there's nothing saying you won't see us share a stage again.

Sincere love to everybody,
Jim Sterling.
Best of luck in your future endeavors, Jim! :)

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Well, that's surprising. But could Jim be moving to the Escapist? That is to say, he now has three different shows here. Would it be much of a stretch for him to start doing reviews for this site?
And I for one welcome our new Lord and Sexy Game Reviewer. Thank God for Jim! Thank Polygons for Jim, too!

Honestly, I don't know what Jim will be doing. I do hope to see him continuing to review games and work. I happen to enjoy his stuff, even if I don't always agree with him.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Jim's never exactly been what I would call "subtle" when it comes to shenanigans like that. If he'd been fired, I fully expect his announcement of departure would have mentioned it, and likely been significantly more negative on the whole.

Since that's not the case, it's probably a safe assumption that he wasn't. It's not exactly rare for people to take a step back, look at what they're doing, and decide they want to do something a little different.

I figure the reason he doesn't already have a job lined up is because he wants to take a bit of a break (or as much as can be had with running several weekly video series) before he finds another full-time job.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Your reviews on Dtoid will be missed, Jim. I wish you the best of luck!

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I'm really going to miss his written reviews, he wrote some of my favorite, I even appreciate him for being what some would call "overly-critical" since I certainly am as well. I hope he turns back up in this capacity soon.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dragonbums said:
Jim has posted more controversial stuff before.

Why exactly would a Batman review land him the axe?
Because you don't mess with the Batman. He's...Batman.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I will welcome you jim, with open, loving, voluptuous arms.

Can arms be voluptuous?

Only time will tell.

rasputin0009 said:
Controversy drives pageviews, something I'm sure destructoid appreciates with every one of his rants.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
If this means the end of Jim in Podtoid then I'm afraid I don't have anything to live for anymore.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
But... but... but...
(He said on Twitter he "had nothing to say yet" about Podtoid, but that he wanted to keep doing something similar because Conrad and Jonathan are good friends. I'm guessing they'll just do the same bullshit with a different name. Chunguscast?)