Jim Sterling Leaves Destructoid (UPDATE: Jim Joins The Escapist!)

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Battenberg said:
So Jim's going to be reviewing on The Escapist? Well I guess I won't be visiting any other game journalism sites any more.

Best gaming related news I've heard in a while!

Is it just going to be reviews (and occasional Podcast appearances) or can we expect written articles critiquing general gaming trends (i.e. basically extra Jimquisition but in written form)?
The team said it would like a weekly editorial. I am thinking of doing what Bob and Yahtzee do, having a regular column based off the main show I do.

Something like a Jimposition or some shit.
The word 'Jimposition' conjures up so many erotic images.

I think I need an adult. :(

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Battenberg said:
So Jim's going to be reviewing on The Escapist? Well I guess I won't be visiting any other game journalism sites any more.

Best gaming related news I've heard in a while!

Is it just going to be reviews (and occasional Podcast appearances) or can we expect written articles critiquing general gaming trends (i.e. basically extra Jimquisition but in written form)?
The team said it would like a weekly editorial. I am thinking of doing what Bob and Yahtzee do, having a regular column based off the main show I do.

Something like a Jimposition or some shit.
The word 'Jimposition' conjures up so many erotic images.

I think I need an adult. :(
Jim is an adult. Technically.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
I like Jims films and reviews but he seems to love his eastern jrpgs and other weird stuff too much for me to see him giving justice to well titled games. Unlike the issues he brings to Jimquisition and argues well.

If anything Id like someone to do a review from older platinum/gold cult classic games and work their way up to the present newer titles so new players can read and visit some of the games that deserve just as much attention if not more, and legitimize why a lot of new games simply do not reach the benchmark of my satisfaction and many others.

Joabbuac

Feb 23, 2010
I will follow you till the end of time Jim.... Im just glad i don't have to add a new bookmark to do it.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
kingthrall said:
I like Jims films and reviews but he seems to love his eastern jrpgs and other weird stuff too much for me to see him giving justice to well titled games. Unlike the issues he brings to Jimquisition and argues well.

If anything Id like someone to do a review from older platinum/gold cult classic games and work their way up to the present newer titles so new players can read and visit some of the games that deserve just as much attention if not more, and legitimize why a lot of new games simply do not reach the benchmark of my satisfaction and many others.
Well that Stew Shearer fella seems to be doing some sort of cross-promotion with GOG.com...the old titles anyway.

OT: JIM IS DEAD. LONG LIVE JIM.

Jun 10, 2011
I just wanted to add my my voice to the chorus saying that Jim was the best part of Destructoid. Seriously, it was my favorite, go-to site for reviews but mainly because of the ones written by Jim. I would start reading an article, and if it was crap, I would scroll back up to the top and it would always have been written by someone else. I only knew about the site because of Jim's work here, and I only went there because of same.

Does anyone else have any comments on the quality of the rest of the site? I spend a good amount of time there but only for game reviews. I'm not sure if there's any reason to go back regularly now.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
[Esoteric Reference said:
]I just wanted to add my my voice to the chorus saying that Jim was the best part of Destructoid. Seriously, it was my favorite, go-to site for reviews but mainly because of the ones written by Jim. I would start reading an article, and if it was crap, I would scroll back up to the top and it would always have been written by someone else. I only knew about the site because of Jim's work here, and I only went there because of same.

Does anyone else have any comments on the quality of the rest of the site? I spend a good amount of time there but only for game reviews. I'm not sure if there's any reason to go back regularly now.
The articles there range from pretty decent (which usually are Jim's closest friends believe it or not) to average to Kotaku levels of stupid.

I too also went on there for Jim. Now that he's gone I see no real point.

Aside from the controversial piece, most of the articles there are boring or okay.

Perhaps I could of been more invested if the comments at least were something worth reading. But it's really just full of off topic sub threads, low content post, and class A whiners and haters.

Look-a-Hill

Nov 18, 2009
Does this mean Podtoid will be Jonathan Holmes talking about videos games without Jim's tediously long and repetitive segments about wanking?

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I 'enjoy' Jim's reviews and rants about the games industry and I'm glad he found a new home at the Escapist but his review on Arkham Origins was way off. The game might be a little rough around the edges here and there but it was made with such obvious love for the characters and lore that it was undeserving of such scorn. Also his criteria changes when reviewing different games. For example Deadly Premonition got a perfect score b/c it resonated with him eventhough there is no denying it's a sub-par(to put it mildly) title gameplay wise. I enjoyed Deadly Premonition as well but find it somewhat strange Arkham Origins got hammered while Deadly Premonition got a free pass for the sake of atmosphere and story. The studio that made Arkham Origins made a really great Batman story while familiarizing themselves with the mechanics developed by Rocksteady. In no way was this indicative of an industry trying to cynically milk a franchise dry. Quite the opposite.

Matthew Abbott

Jan 13, 2013
I've been busy, so I haven't had a chance to watch videos until today...that explains why my Podtoid feed wasn't updating...boo...

Well, glad Jim's fully on board here, I just hope he Conrad and Holmes still do a podcast (a spiritual successor to Podtoid if he won't continue on with just that).

Linksmash

Sep 9, 2013
Alarien said:
I have kinda mixed views on Sterling, overall. I generally think he's a very smart guy and I generally agree with his opinions, editorials, and reviews, wholeheartedly. I just, sorta... can't take him. My wife laughs at Yahtzee despite saying she finds his voice grating. That's how I feel about Sterling. I can put up with his reviews and his editorials, but the voice can get a bit irritating and once I connect the voice and the face (mannerisms), I find that, while I agree with him, I also have this urge to punch him in the mouth at the same time.

Am I the only one?
Nah, i'm with you there. I know the smugness is meant to be a character but he reminds me of some spod i went to school with who i loathed. My partner agrees with your wife re: Yahtzee's voice as well!

BakedSardine

Dec 3, 2013
Linksmash said:
Nah, i'm with you there. I know the smugness is meant to be a character but he reminds me of some spod i went to school with who i loathed. My partner agrees with your wife re: Yahtzee's voice as well!
I just listened to Dismal Jesters for the first time when Jim was recovering from his tooth extraction. His non-sequiters on his show idea for "Edward James Almost" had me in tears and the uncomfortable feeling he seems to generate with Jonathan Holmes is downright comical. I'm not sure I can listen to it all the time (he started lowing me in the 20 minute story of the fictional concert and turkey skiing), but it was a good laugh.