Jim Sterling leaves The Escapist

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
<tweet t=https://twitter.com/Gregtito/status/533448443143151616>

It is confirmed. Jim is taking off and starting his own thing. He's asking for donations on <url=http://www.patreon.com/jimquisition>Patreon, and will be doing a whole bunch of stuff, apparently.

<tweet t=https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/533445258462633984>

See ya, Jim. It was fun.

So, thoughts? Will you help Jim out? What would you like to see replace The Jimquisition on Mondays? <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/2-50-Reviews>I can think of one thing.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
Oh dear. I already miss the convenience of new Jimquisition here on The Escapist. I hope I continue to watch his content as regularly as I do now and wish him the best with Patreon support.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008

I suppose this move makes a lot of sense unfortunately.

Maybe I'm reading too much into things but Jim always seemed to be very uncomfortable with the "corporate" relationship that comes with having a boss. I don't think it's anything against The Escapist itself; he just seems like the kind of guy who's just not a fan of a lot of "game journalism" practices and that's something that, no matter the attitudes and openness of a place like The Escapist, is going to be present.

Sad to see him go but it's hard to knock a guy who sticks with his principles and leaves without burning all the bridges like other shows may or may not have done >.>

Good luck Jim. I thank God for you.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Does that mean the Uncivil War is done as well?

With LRR moving a lot of their stuff to Youtube and now this, their is less and less reason for me to come here, I guess Zero Punctuation.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Well shit. :/

It's gonna be weird not seeing Jim around here, but I guess it's for the best. He did awesome work here and I loved reading his reviews.

I wish him all the best though, and I will always thank God for him.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I love Jim Sterling and all of his shows, it's as if Yahtzee was leaving.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
WAIT... what just happened, I blacked out for a minute there... I thought someone said Jim Sterling had left the Escapist, but he hasn't even been Reviews Editor for 6 months...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Huh. Feels like he only just got here.

Oh well.

I'll watch his videos if he makes them publicly available, and if I remember, they're digestible enough to warrant that, but I have no intentions of donating. He spends so much time just saying the same thing over and over. I just don't see why I'd pay money for someone to tell me that Ubisoft and EA are being dicks about something every week.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I've never been a fan of Jim nor did I ever understand the cult that gathered around him. Maybe it's that smug persona he had going on, I don't know. But reading through the guy's page at Patreon I kinda have a newfound sense of respect for the guy. He doesn't compromise and wants to do his thing on his own terms. Best of luck to him.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I really liked Jim as the reviews editor (he struck me as fairly corruption proof on that end), but I'm not going to miss the jimquisition. Up until gamergate I was a huge fan of his pro-consumer ideals, but his lackluster response in the last two or three weeks to that situation made me question that aspect of his posts. Just the same, I thought he was a valuable member of the escapist community and I didn't see him having a comparable position with any other publication. I guess he has his freedom now; I hope it works out for him.

Definitely going to miss the civil war (although really my favorite was the weekly poetry slam he did with yahtzee oh so long ago).

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Darn it Marter, it's a time for mourning. XD

Anyway, I shall miss Jim.
Not only for his weekly show, but also for the show he did with Yahtzee (the last episodes, I hope it still will be uploaded). Hopefully most of his viewers will move onto his new site/Youtube channel.

I wish you luck my dark prince!
Thank God for you!, and your future!

Don't worry, I'll be one of your viewers. :D

Idon'tcareanymore

Dec 29, 2011
Well... this is disappointing. I'll miss Jim and try to help support him while I can, but I kinda saw this coming. He obviously had issues with the corporate nature of sites like The Escapist and their funding models. So, it's not really a shock. Just disappointing.

So, with LRR gone and Jim going... who do you think'll leave next? Yahtzee or Moviebob?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
It made me sad. You people don't want to know what Pikachu looks like when he cries. Death brings new life, though. It is the cycle of things. I'll be pledging; he deserves that for all he's given me.

Say, Marter, I don't think your tweets are embedding right.

And what happened to that delightful fellow who used to draw Fraught With Peril? Those were thoroughly enjoyable.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
When Jim first showed up on this site, he was such a breath of fresh air to me. He was the first content deliverer since Yahtzee in his early days that took no guff and said what was on his mind and he often would come out and say just the same thing I was thinking just with more pizazz.

Unfortunately, in the last few months I've seen his show steer away from his pro-consumer ideals and more towards just ripping on bad games and ripping on groups of people with absolutely no show of guile. It's actually gotten to a point where once I eagerly looked forward to Tuesday mornings because I could watch the latest Jimquisition before work to me just... well not bothering to watch them because I know he's just gonna be snarky towards a portion of his audience.

And I know part of his persona is to be snarky but recently it just hasn't been the same. Where once he generally aimed his rants at the parts of the industry that needed a light shined on it, lately he just kinda snarks on people that he doesn't agree with. Which is sad.

I'm happy for him that he's going his own way, I truly think that a voice like his needs to be freed of the constraints of a boss/editor. But unless he kinda turns himself around and makes a return to the Jim that I used to love to watch, I may just end up finding my pro-consumer voice elsewhere. It's actually a rather similar situation that I had with Moviebob, whose content I boycott entirely now.

Anyway, I wish Jim the absolute best of luck with his future endeavors and Thank God for the years of entertainment that he has provided for me.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
psn_habalhabden said:
So, with LRR gone and Jim going... who do you think'll leave next? Yahtzee or Moviebob?
I see Yahtzee leaving well before Bob. Not that I want him to. He got me here. The Escapist would be dead to me if he left.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Marter said:
Barbas said:
Say, Marter, I don't think your tweets are embedding right.
They're working fine for me...
They're fine again now. Odd, they loaded briefly and then just transformed into lines the first time.

Oh well. I look forward to the days ahead.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
While I agreed with the thrust of many of his arguments, I never really found myself a fan of Sterling. He was just another angry ranting dude to add to The Escapist's pile of angry ranting dudes. His content largely never stood out to me. I also found it rather bothersome when pretty much every review on the site was written by him.

I'm interested in seeing what happens with the site now though especially considering that it seemed like The Escapist was turning into The Sterlingist.

Soleca

Sep 5, 2014
The good news is you only have to pay him 72000 dollars a year on patreon to keep him going.

Also I am genuinely sorry to Archon if GG caused this.