Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: A Tale of Two Poets

gezodiac

Apr 8, 2013
WaitWHAT said:
Lovely Mixture said:
WaitWHAT said:
Oh Christ. Really, Yahtzee? Really? I expected better from you. The PS4 has very good reasons for not having backwards compatibility as mentioned on this bloody site [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/10215-Why-the-PS4-Doesnt-Do-PS3-Games]. It would be literally impossible to put backwards compatibility on the PS4 without jacking the price up through the roof by giving in a hexacore processor capable of running modern games and keeping within a decent thermal envelope. Do your reasearch, FFS. I expect better from you.
The existence of "Good reasons" in this case, doesn't deduct from the opinion of those who feel that it is stupid, and Yatzhee's reasons for it being stupid are right there in his poem ("It seems to me this car is just trying way to hard!
It's innovating only for the sake of innovation!")

better hardware =/= better games
more features =/= better experience

And I'm not saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
I'm saying: "If you have something better, try and convince me that it's better and open the aspect of appealing to what already works."

PS1 had 32-bit graphics, 3D, and ran disks.
PS2 had better graphics, could run PS1 games, and could play DVDs.
PS3 only had some models that played PS2 and PS1 titles. But it had, better graphics a Blu-Ray player (which could also play DVDs), internal hard drive, and built-in wireless controllers (that could charge from being plugged into the console).

PS4 brings us.....better graphics and social integration, does that seem like a big step forward? And it can't play the games of any of the previous ones, so it sounds like a loss to me instead.
You fool. Read that link I posted. READ IT! Seriously, stop whatever you're doing now and read it. It would be literally impossible to make the PS4 backwards compatible with the PS3. They had completely different hardware. The PS3 had 6, weak-ish cores with very specifically optimized levels of Cache to do certain tasks, and was written in a specific code for that model. The new PS4 has 8 cores, but uses the x86 programming, something designed for a modern CPU with modern ram, and utterly incompatible with the old PS3 code. It would be like asking your windows game to run on Linux.
If I can emulate ps3/xbox/wii/wii u/ps2/ps1/n64/all other consoles ever. On my pc, with fan made emulators. There is no excuse for sony not make an optimized in house emulator to allow backwards compatibility with their own consoles.

There is literally no reason, and trying to make one up is folly.

delroland

Sep 10, 2008
WaitWHAT said:
You fool. Read that link I posted. READ IT! Seriously, stop whatever you're doing now and read it. It would be literally impossible to make the PS4 backwards compatible with the PS3. They had completely different hardware. The PS3 had 6, weak-ish cores with very specifically optimized levels of Cache to do certain tasks, and was written in a specific code for that model. The new PS4 has 8 cores, but uses the x86 programming, something designed for a modern CPU with modern ram, and utterly incompatible with the old PS3 code. It would be like asking your windows game to run on Linux.
http://tinyurl.com/btra4p5
And many Linux boxes can run Windows games.

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
Well done to the both of them. I like Jim's better though, if only because each line rhymed at the end. Both were poinent though.

Defective_Detective

Jul 26, 2010
Great first half, not so good second half. And before I get jumped on, I don't mean Yahtzee GOOD, Jim BAD.

They need to synch up the recording and sound quality. Between both sides, there was a disparity in volume and video quality that should be addressed. The optimum solution is unfortunately also the most impractical. Both artists getting into the same studio is difficult when they live on different landmasses. Though some communication between both contributers might help in this regard.

I don't get why people feel they need to see a piece of paper in Yahtzee's hand. I think his current "mic" style is more suited to his expressiveness and changes in voice. Whereas I think Jim looks quite natural with the more traditional poetry notebook.

If there was anything distinctly negative I had to say, would be I think Jim needs to lose the bowler if he's going to be inside. I mean never mind that you generally shouldn't be wearing a hat, almost any hat, inside period. A bowler is for wearing with a business suit for your job at the bank.

And more rhymes does not translate to "better" poetry. It doesn't have to rhyme at all.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Defective_Detective said:
And more rhymes does not translate to "better" poetry. It doesn't have to rhyme at all.
I don't want this to come off sounding like a dick but you realize this video series is called Rhymedown Spectacular? I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm saying it would counter-intuitive to name a series that and then not have any rhymes.

Defective_Detective

Jul 26, 2010
Orekoya said:
I don't want this to come off sounding like a dick but you realize this video series is called Rhymedown Spectacular? I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm saying it would counter-intuitive to name a series that and then not have any rhymes.
Rhymedown Smackdown might be the snappy clever title, but it's poetry. And speaking as a writer, constricting yourself to limerick and rhyming can be counter-intuitive to creating a good poem. That's not to say I oppose rhyme at all. I enjoyed the rhymes in this installment. It's just not necessary for every poem.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Orekoya said:
Rhymedown Smackdown might be the snappy clever title, but it's poetry. And speaking as a writer, constricting yourself to limerick and rhyming can be counter-intuitive to creating a good poem. That's not to say I oppose rhyme at all. I enjoyed the rhymes in this installment. It's just not necessary for every poem.
Let's take that logic and apply it in other ways:

Chess might be the snappy clever title, but it's a board game. And speaking as a board game player, constricting yourself to the chess board and chess pieces can be counter-intuitive to creating a good board game.

Portal might be the snappy clever title, but it's a video game. And speaking as a gamer, constricting yourself to the portal gun and physics platforming can be counter-intuitive to creating a good video game.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong about poetry. I didn't include the rest of your quote because I more or less agreed or had no issue with what you had there, but the listed premise of the show [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jim-yahtzees-rhymedown-spectacular] is "Jim and Yahtzee take their rhymes to the internet and explore the world of gaming through verse." so them not bringing their rhymes to the internet would be dumb.

Defective_Detective

Jul 26, 2010
Orekoya said:
Orekoya said:

Chess might be the snappy clever title, but it's a board game. And speaking as a board game player, constricting yourself to the chess board and chess pieces can be counter-intuitive to creating a good board game.

Portal might be the snappy clever title, but it's a video game. And speaking as a gamer, constricting yourself to the portal gun and physics platforming can be counter-intuitive to creating a good video game.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong about poetry. I didn't include the rest of your quote because I more or less agreed or had no issue with what you had there, but the listed premise of the show is "Jim and Yahtzee take their rhymes to the internet and explore the world of gaming through verse." so them not bringing their rhymes to the internet would be dumb.
Following your reductio ad absurdum "logic". Yes, you're quite right. It'd be terrible if every board game had to use chess pieces and chess boards, and it'd be terrible if every video game had to be Portal.

And it'd be terrible if every poem had to rhyme!

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Orekoya said:
Orekoya said:

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong about poetry. I didn't include the rest of your quote because I more or less agreed or had no issue with what you had there, but the listed premise of the show is "Jim and Yahtzee take their rhymes to the internet and explore the world of gaming through verse." so them not bringing their rhymes to the internet would be dumb.
Following your reductio ad absurdum "logic". Yes, you're quite right. It'd be terrible if every board game had to use chess pieces and chess boards, and it'd be terrible if every video game had to be Portal.

And it'd be terrible if every poem had to rhyme!
Yes, exactly. Now you're catching onto the reductio ad absurdum "logic" problem with your statement.

That's why you can thank your lucky stars that every poem isn't written by the good people at Rhymedown Spectacular.

Defective_Detective

Jul 26, 2010
Well, if you just want funny limericks, that's your thing. I just hope that neither Yahtzee or Jim will feel the need to draw from that bucket exclusively.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Well, if you just want funny limericks, that's your thing. I just hope that neither Yahtzee or Jim will feel the need to draw from that bucket exclusively.
Hey now, we're having a perfectly good pointless internet argument where we can both waste hours of our time making short conversation posts that floods a thread while you can't admit the fault of your logic, don't walk away from that. :) Come on, we can keep it going with me pointing out that limericks aren't the only kind of poetry with rhyming and we can go from there. Or if you want I can point out that those were not limericks anyways because they were respectively abab and aabb styles of rhyming and limericks are done by aabba rhyming.

Defective_Detective

Jul 26, 2010
Orekoya said:
Hey now, we're having a perfectly good pointless internet argument where we can both waste hours of our time making short conversation posts that floods a thread while you can't admit the fault of your logic, don't walk away from that. :) Come on, we can keep it going with me pointing out that limericks aren't the only kind of poetry with rhyming and we can go from there. Or if you want I can point out that those were limericks anyways because they were respectively abab and aabb styles of rhyming and limericks are done by aabba rhyming.
Heh. No, you're alright. Though at least we're not fanboying at each other about the PS4, right? :)

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
that was freaking amazing lol looking forward to more

also I still love Yahtzee's FTL poem haha that one was great

May 29, 2011
the antithesis said:
This is a lot like that Epic Rap Battles series on Youtube. You know. That horrible fucking series on Youtube I am constantly avoiding.
You cannot escape it. It is everywhere. Its only a matter of time.

ALL HAIL NICEPETER.

OUR NEW LORD AND SAVIOUR.

God damnit there was supposed to be a picture there but I couldn't remember how to post one.

Damn you brain!

May 29, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
joeman098 said:
What the fuck is yahtzee doing with out a hat! And jim has a hat! what kind of shit you guys trying to pull! lol i enjoyed it though cant wait to see more
That's nothing. Next week, Yahtzee's gonna be the fat one!
But Jim! You can't lose your glorious fat! It's what makes you so lovable!

Besides it will protect you from the bullets once all the companies you ripped on start sending assassins after you.