Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: Because I Could Not Stop For Loading Times

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Goin' with the general consensus on this one and Yahtzee scores another point.

Yahtzee - 3
Jim - 3.5

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Oh, Yahtzee, you lovable creepy man. Your ode to Mario was actually, genuinely sad. Kudos to you for pointing out Peach's little more than a glorified trophy to him.

Jim's was good, but just completely blown out of the water by Yahtzee's this time.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Y'see, Sonic has been pretty good lately, but Jim's always been pissy about the series. I mean, he gave Colors a 5/10. Colors of all things! Colors kicked ass!

As for Yahtzee's poem (which I already knew what it would be about due to the thumbnail) I agree somewhat in that Nintendo shouldn't keep Mario under such lock and key, but I think he does have quite a bit more personality than Yahtzee gives him credit for. Maybe that's just because I've been playing a lot of Fortune Street lately, which is one of the few games where Mario does have dialogue. Quite a bit of dialogue at that.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I must say I loved the punch line in Jim's poem. It's so descriptive of so many Sonic fans.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Oh, as a Sonic fan, I empathise with Jim's poem far too much. Did laugh at the "green eye" bit too. It's part of the reason I try to avoid identifying as a Sonic fan as much as possible because the "sane" ones such as myself and dumped in alongside those crazy bastards.

[sub] I still hope the next one will be good, although I'm also of the opinion that only '06 was truly terrible[/sub]

Yahtzee's was rather good too though.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Mikeyfell said:
I love how Yahtzee has managed to give *Spoiler character* more personality in a 2 minute poem than *Spoiler game company* has in *Spoiler amount of years*

Simply beautiful work guys. keep it up.
My thoughts exactly.

It's incredible how Nintendo never did manage to give Mario any kind of personality. Or most of their other characters, for that matter.

Jim's poem was good, I just thought that the fast-reading-then-gazing-at-the-camera ruined the intended pacing somewhat.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
For some reason, I've been rooting for Mr. Sterling in these poemdowns. I'm not sure why, but at a guess, I'd say it's because I think he just needs a bigger cheering section than Mr. Croshaw does; I just like things to feel even, is all.

And man, his poem today would have totally knocked it out of the park! The pacing is great and the smug glances at the camera are hilarious, but damn, that final "Mama mia..."

Oh well, ranking these things is kind of a stupid pastime anyway that no one is served by. Top notch entries from each of you, gentlemen, and I applaud you both.

empirialtank

Jan 22, 2010
Damn you Yahtzee that opening... its just way too suave! you can't carelessly put stuff like that on the internet! think off all the young innocent girls you just made swoon with that look.

I also appreciate Jim giving me more evidence that he could one day start rapping these rhymes. Both were well done.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Surprised how many people are saying that they didn't get what Yahtzee's what about until near the end or the very end. I was thinking Mario from the start and was confirmed to me when he mentioned the farthest star (Super Mario Galaxy). And yeah, I recognized the common Sonic whines Jim started with instantly. I like how Jim ended on the all too familiar "Oh wait, a new game, that one might be good!" attitude that follows Sonic around no matter how much you liked or hated his last game. And it's going to be even more common now that Generations defied expectations by actually being good (unlike Adventure 2, Heroes, Unleashed, Colors, and everything in between which sucked). I actually have to care about Lost World now because it might be good like Generations was. Damn you Generations, just when I was finally ready to completely stop caring about Sonic you pull me back in.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
canadamus_prime said:
Both of those were rather disturbingly accurate.
Art imitates life, as they say.

:D Great show today!

Sabin Felea

Jan 30, 2013
When the big reveal came at the end of Yahtzee's poem, I stood there smiling for a few minutes thinking: "No f*_king way" the whole time! Genius! Brilliant! Illegally fun! :D

Chuppi

Mar 6, 2013
Wow.If good old Charles Bukowski had been into video-gaming, his poems about it would have sounded like Yahtzee´s.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
These are rapidly becoming my favorite of the weekly offerings from this site. Thanks Jim and Yahtzee! :)