Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: Confessions of a Game Reviewer

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Really liked Jim this month. This needs to be the response any journalist with integrity gives to people demanding they change their opinion to suit others needs. I enjoyed Ben's as well but I sadly haven't played Spec Ops and so must have missed out on something.

geier

Oct 15, 2010
I'm on Jim's side when the Witcher 2 comes up. I bought it two weeks ago when it was on sale on GOG and i really don't like it.
I cannot fathom how they could #### up the controls so bad. I actually made a list with all things that annoy me, i'm at 92 points.

Example:
Why can i only change the assignment of the keys in the starting menu ?
Why can i not change all keys ?
We have the year 2013 and CD projekt seems to think every gamer has a mouse with only 2 buttons, because i cannot set actions to other buttons but left and right mouse.

The list goes on and on.
The story is not bad, not great, but not bad. Everything else is just a disappointment.

I really liked Witcher 1, i completed it 7 times, but Witcher 2 is just bad.
And Jim seems to be the only reviewer who did not let himself be blinded by the grafics.

Sorry for my english, i'm a kraut.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
MichaelMaverick said:
slash2x said:
There is no BS "oh someone reviewed this game. BTW the page was paid for by the people who made the game, it got a 10 SURPRISE!"
Look up the Company of Heroes 2 review.
Meh that game was all over the review charts. Either people loved it or hated it. I am more talking about how they are willing to do this http://www.destructoid.com/review-retro-city-rampage-237235.phtml

Jake Dolezal

Apr 5, 2011
Jim, respect man. Holding strong to your beliefs, and that's what a review is, a persons opinions and beliefs about a game.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Sonic Colors was shit. Thank god for you, Jim!

Also, I didn't see the white phosphorus thing coming, well played Yahtzee.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I felt uncomfortable with white phosphorous before it was cool.

I always felt slightly guilty using it against infantry in World in Conflict. If they could've just left my tanks in peace...

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Sure, in reality Jim calmly placed the tablet down and sipped his drink, but in my mind he dropped the mic and walked away.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Bravo, gentlemen! In Yahtzee's poem, I felt sorry for the plasma gun and BFG and the other "unrealistic" weapons stuck on the balcony. And as for Ms. White-phosphorous, stop inviting her! that crazy ***** always ruins everyone else's good times.
JarinArenos said:
No "Miss Shurikens & Lightning" Yahtzee? I am disappointed.
Did he mention that? I'll have to listen again! I know he didn't bring up the gun from Resistance 3, which he called "The Jimmy Hendrix Experience." I can see how that would be hard to find rhymes for.
As for Jim, what's his review style like? When most other critics like a game, he says he hates it, just to be contrarian?

Daria.Morgendorffer

Nov 26, 2011
Good poems, both you blokes!

Also, Yahtzee is a damn-fine looking guy, although in a suit, va-va-voom! (Yes, I am well aware he is asexual, still not gonna lie, he's a fine looking guy.)

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Shooter's ball really felt ironic since most shooters have no playable women, especially in console games.

But we do have an affinity for weapons and it makes sense with guns being a typically a guy thing. Typically, as in this tomboy appreciates the smell of expended gunpowder, rendering raiders into piles of ash, or goo, and the screams caused by incendiary grenades, and chaos!!

Still Rainbow Six's MG36, or most any gun with a beta mag doesn't exactly resemble something a woman has.

Having played both, I'd say I prefer Wet over Vanquish in terms of rockstar slides in combat. <.<

And I'm in the camp of knowing full well reviews are opinions, even in pointing out things that could be considered facts.

captcha: i'm batman
No one will ever suspect!! MWAHAHAHAHA!

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
wai-wai-wai-wai-wai-wai-wait. That was a mask!? I thought you really got David to go on your show.

Vale

May 1, 2013
Jim used music from the Witcher 2 for the background. Or maybe someone else did but it's there.
I dunno why I found that amusing.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
impocalyptic said:
Thank you Yahtzee for reminding us all about how we chose to do a bad thing.
We didn't choose shit. The game basically said, "Now dump tons of incendiary chemicals on these baddies, or you don't get to continue." So I do it and then the game goes, "Psyche! There were civilians down there the whole time, and even though you can clearly see them even through your thermal scope, the WP artificially expands to kill them anyway! Trollolol!" And then I yelled, "Bullshit," and threw the game across the room.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
geier said:
We have the year 2013 and CD projekt seems to think every gamer has a mouse with only 2 buttons, because i cannot set actions to other buttons but left and right mouse.
I think there might be a problem with your copy/mouse, because I'm able to do that just fine (eg, I have the circular menu set to middle mouse button, "cast sign" set to thumb button 1, and block set to thumb button 2)

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
So Ben ends the party early and Jim gave us the finger. I feel so... enriched! :)

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I must be one of the silent minority, because whenever I tried a game that Jim had rated average or under I ended up agreeing with him. Also, as much as I admit that it's refreshing to have games like the Witcher 2 show up again, it just wasn't my kind of game.

talker

Nov 18, 2011
viggih7 said:
AC10 said:
OT: the Shooter poem had me giggling at the metaphors but when wp was mentioned I got kind of depressed and shit. God damnit Spec Ops.
most of us got depressed.

also, he forgot rocket launcher.

and miss eridium :)