Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: The Straw Beast

Jim And Yahtzee

Apr 16, 2013
The Straw Beast

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
Sweet! Now we know that Yatzhzee has a new creepy Lover from Horror, and we know where dear Jim stands in the ongoing rabble about "Tropes vs. Woman" thing.

Although Jims part was kinda hard to listen. Good work nontheless both you guys!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I see Yahtzee wanted to out-creep Jim this week, I liked that one a lot. Jim's though, was just pure brilliance. I loved the Evil Villain vibe and it flowed really well.

I think we need to take this to the next level and have poetry/rap battles or something.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Brilliance from both! Thanks for bringing poetry out to the gamers, especially me! May it go on forever.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Okay, I've really enjoyed both since the series started, the fuckery involved in both of these this week was just spectacular. Bravo to both of you.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Legion said:
I think we need to take this to the next level and have poetry/rap battles or something.
I wouldn't mind seeing Jim and Yahtzee throw Yo' Momma insults at each other for 8 minutes. :p

OT: Once again, both good poems. Though the nifty voice effect Jim was using made some parts of his poem hard to understand. :(

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
Once again, Wednesdays are my favourite day on The Escapist.

Well done boys.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Watching Yahtzee, I though "he's got this one in the bag..No way Jim could top it." But well played, Jim. Well played.

Gamer_152

Mar 3, 2011
Both good stuff, although I really loved Jim's. It highlighted how ridiculous the response to Sarkeesian has been.

Jim And Yahtzee

Apr 16, 2013
RJ 17 said:
Legion said:
I wouldn't mind seeing Jim and Yahtzee throw Yo' Momma insults at each other for 8 minutes. :p
"Yo mama's so fat, she once sat on a Nintendo Wii and when she stood up again, it was an NES."
not directed at you hence the quotes

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
RJ 17 said:
Legion said:
"Yo mama's so fat, she once sat on a Nintendo Wii and when she stood up again, it was an NES."
"Yo' Momma's so slutty that the XBone had to ditch the Family Sharing Program because she threatened to sue them for copyright infringement! 10 people on your Friends List, any time, anywhere!" :p
Ditto with the no offense and the quotes and such. :3

Sosa Star

Nov 23, 2009
Was that a Mable Hornet reference Yahtzee? Creeped me out and made me giggle at the same time.

Jim And Yahtzee

Apr 16, 2013
RJ 17 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
RJ 17 said:
Legion said:
"Yo' Momma's so slutty that the XBone had to ditch the Family Sharing Program because she threatened to sue them for copyright infringement! 10 people on your Friends List, any time, anywhere!" :p
"Yo mama's so ugly that when the Xbone saw her coming, it did a 180!"

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
RJ 17 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
RJ 17 said:
Legion said:
"Yo mama's so ugly that when the Xbone saw her coming, it did a 180!"
*drum rimshot* Gotta say that was a good one.

Hehehe, alright, I think we better call it quits before the mods take notice and get pissed off. :p

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Most people can't pull off the "sack over the head" look, but Yahtzee really manages to pull it off.

Jim proves he'd make a good Bond or Batman villain.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
So, was anyone else expecting Yahtzee to mention how similar Slendy is to the Tall Man from Chzo Mythos at some point?

Sordin

Aug 5, 2011
As one of the most rabid of the rabid slenderman fans I gotta say I loved yahtzee's but Jim's was a slice of genius and I loved the scarecrow voice.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Legion said:
I see Yahtzee wanted to out-creep Jim this week, I liked that one a lot.
I think they just decided to swap. Jim's was topical (though less on the actual games than Yahtzee usually is) as well as Yahtzee being the adorable creeper.
DataSnake said:
So, was anyone else expecting Yahtzee to mention how similar Slendy is to the Tall Man from Chzo Mythos at some point?
Wasn't writing love letters on the wall in blood an oblong reference to do just that?

I haven't played the games, but internet references have led me to believe that's a thing related to the Tall Man and the series.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Yahtzee and Slenderman, a match made in Hell. Fantastic job on your poem, Ben.

Jim, you certainly channeled your inner troll with a hint of Scarecrow. Bravo, good sir.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I don't give a damn about slenderman. Good poem though, Yahtzee.

As for Jim, nicely done. I couldn't quite make out the last distorted line, but I got the gist of it. Honestly, I don't care about Anita at this point. The only reason I know her videos are still getting produced is that someone will always start a thread about it here. And then I shake my head slowly at the number of comments and proceed with what I was originally planning to do.

Jenny Jones

Jun 10, 2013
Great poems as usual, really look forward to Wednesdays because of this. I also like how both of you are trying new things with the camera and voice synthesiser to create new effects and enhance the emotion of the poems =)

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
That sound you heard was the roar of delighted laughter as I witnessed poetic genius.

Gentlemen, you are an inspiration to us all and fucking hilarious. Thank you for sharing.

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
That was Yahtzee's best one yet.
And I lost it when he stuttered and did the "whatever a slender can" bit.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Saw Jim's poem, not sure who he was talking about, and then I went to the forum and figured that he was talking about (the community's reaction to) Sarkeesian and her ongoing series. And by community, I mean that one portion that (ahem) hastobeconstanlytoldtogostandinthecornerandthinkaboutwhattheyvedone.

empirialtank

Jan 22, 2010
always knew Yahtzee was a tentacle man.

This is what happens people when you don't thank God for Jim, the devil corrupts him and he sets out to destroy all video games. You have been warned people, you have been warned.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
SHIT! Whose idea was it to release the Halloween episode three months early?! Now we have nothing to do in October!

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
K.ur said:
Candle Jack?
Man, Slenderman turns down ha
I still don't get this whole Candle Jack thing.

OT: I have to say that while I enjoyed Yahtzee's poem, Jim stole the show with his modulated voice and whole Evil Mastermind vibe. I can only hope that this show continues to provide quality content for a lo

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
Country
United States
:D Very funny one Yahtzee, and just a bit creepy. Took a few tips from Jim's pomes?

As for you, Jim. That was AWESOME! Thank you, [sub]my master... ;D[/sub]

God this show is great!

Imp_Emissary

Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
Country
United States
Legion said:
I see Yahtzee wanted to out-creep Jim this week, I liked that one a lot. Jim's though, was just pure brilliance. I loved the Evil Villain vibe and it flowed really well.

:D Every episode is an epic poetic battle!

It's Jim and Yahtzee vs. the nightmare team of Boredom and Bullshit! ;D

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
If there was a theme for this week's episode, it was Eldritch Abominations (Hey, that's a Trope Name!). Yahtzee wrote a loving ode to one (possibly inspired by one of the games he made, I have to check that out) and it was almost as romantic as his ode to the Chest High Wall. Jim, speaking as I-don't-know-what, summed up the vitriol surrounding both sides of the "Tropes vs. Women" thing. Well, I understood half of what he said, I need some more clarification.
K.ur said:
Candle Jack?
Oh no, do NOT start up this whole "Candle Jack" thing again. It starts with just one per

Tanneseph

May 2, 2011
Does anyone have a transcript for The Straw Beast? I loved the voice modulation, but after a few re-listenings, I'm -still- missing key words that even tell me what side of the debate he's falling on. (Is it, "the debate itself is the problem?" I -think- so?)

Imp_Emissary

Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
Country
United States
BrownGaijin said:
Saw Jim's poem, not sure who he was talking about, and then I went to the forum and figured that he was talking about (the community's reaction to) Sarkeesian and her ongoing series. And by community, I mean that one portion that (ahem) hastobeconstanlytoldtogostandinthecornerandthinkaboutwhattheyvedone.
:)
"Has to be constantly told to go stand in the corner and think about what they've done."

Constantly indeed.
K.ur said:
Candle Jack?
Ah, Candle Jack.

Ya really got to love that old m
...................................................................................................................................................

Imp_Emissary

Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
Country
United States
Tanneseph said:
Does anyone have a transcript for The Straw Beast? I loved the voice modulation, but after a few re-listenings, I'm -still- missing key words that even tell me what side of the debate he's falling on. (Is it, "the debate itself is the problem?" I -think- so?)
He's mocking the side who rabidly go after Anita, and think the only people who support her are mind controlled "white knights".

Jim is being the one who controls them for an evil plan, until at the end he says pretty much; "anyone who thinks there really is something like this going on, is crazy."

As for the transcripts? Hmmm....They really should add that to the video description, but then I guess that would ruin some of the surprise elements to the show.

Tanneseph

May 2, 2011
Imp Emissary said:
Tanneseph said:
He's mocking the side who rabidly go after Anita, and think the only people who support her are mind controlled "white knights".

Jim is being the one who controls them for an evil plan, until at the end he says pretty much; "anyone who thinks there really is something like this going on, is crazy."

As for the transcripts? Hmmm....They really should add that to the video description, but then I guess that would ruin some of the surprise elements to the show.
Thanks for the clarification. And yeah, I don't think transcripts are normally necessary, or even a good thing. Also, wanting a transcript is definitely not meant to be a slam against the vocal effects - they gave a fantastic layer, and most of Jim's delivery made full, sonorous use of it. When he picks up the tempo, though, it gets a bit hard to hear. The effects require careful spacing - which he delivered on for the vast majority of it.

(Yeah, I'm a music teacher. Sorry ;p)

ShadowHand25

Jul 12, 2010
Jim seems to be stepping up his game, maybe if could understand what he was saying I'd be more favorable, but at least it's better than his last couple of attempts...

"Tickling Ganondorf"?

"Miltank, Miltank"?

penthesilea180

Jul 25, 2010
I was thinking of Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget during Jim's performance. I really wanted him to turn around to show he had been petting a white cat the entire time.

Psycomantis777

Apr 24, 2012
I want that to be Jim's voice forever.
Though I felt it went on for a while this week, I've always enjoyed Jim's work...

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Since some asked for it, and I really did indulge myself on the vocal effects:

You poor sad young fools, you're the downfall of man,
You're merely my tools, just part of the plan,
You bicker and fight, and believe you have choice,
But for all of your might, you speak with my voice.

I'm the whisper you hear, when you feel you are just,
The bug in your ear, when you do what you must,
You think you've a cause, but it's all my design,
I've the key to all doors, and you? You are mine.

You may feel you are used, but it's all for a goal,
I'll admit I'm amused, but the plot has some soul,
Your systemic corruption will draw us quite near,
To the utter destruction of all gamers hold dear.

It started out small, on the blogs and the boards,
You answered the call, and you raised up your swords,
You said games are for all, and you struck many cords,
For though you don't have balls, you play games too, you roared.

So you pointed at sexists, and wanted inclusion,
You crossed off the checklists, some cried out intrusion,
You criticized games, and to my delight,
Others joined you in blame, and were dubbed the White Knights.

This all came to a head, when your brightest young martyr,
Inspired mass dread, with a humble Kickstarter,
And oh, all the fights, on the Facebook and Twitter,
The fires you ignite, as you turn the air bitter.

Feminism in gaming is something I made,
The shouting and shaming is my escapade,
And I am your better, I'm beyond comprehension
Your leash and your fetter, of whom occultists mention

The gamers were right, when they said you must halt,
For your worthy fight, succeeded to a fault,
Because now there's a series, upon the YouTube,
Full of dangerous theories, of damsels and boobs.

And every time one of her videos play,
Games start to wither and start to decay,
Companies shut down, and designers frown,and publishers start to feel cracks in their crown.
And though I'm an alien monster of sorts,
I toy with emotions of gamers for sport,
And if that sounds dramatic and really inane,
Some gamers act like I am real ... which is fucking insane.

ConanThe3rd

Jul 3, 2012
Nevermind the theme, I just dread at the time it took to render out the "video is fucked" effect.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
What a lovely and quite disturbing pair of reviews.

And get away from Slenderman! He's mine!

Tanneseph

May 2, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:

Companies shut down, and designers frown,and publishers start to feel cracks in their crown.
Danke! I haven't listened and relistened to one of these this much since Yahtzee's "Cover Lover."

Now.... if he'd just post what meters he was using.... though it's gotten more grasp-able in more recent episodes.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:

I never got into the whole Anita thing. From what I hear though, she's not the best person to discuss sexism, but her views aren't going to destroy games. So sayeth the most neutral man on this subject.

Jim And Yahtzee

Apr 16, 2013
Jim And Yahtzee said:
The Straw Beast

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video
6:58 Which isn't too far off,I'm willing to say. After all,YOU are the one who created me,and made me....what I am today. (Insert Demonic laugh here)

Jim And Yahtzee

Apr 16, 2013
Jimothy Sterling said:

Allow me to add a line if you don't mind: Although that isn't too far off,I'm willing to say. After all,YOU are the one who created me,and made me....what I am today. (Insert Demonic laugh here)I thought it was appropriate.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
I don't know what I'm more in love with, Yahtzee's Mask or Jim's voice D=

And what's this about Candlejacking? Frankly, it sounds like some kind of perverse sex act. This is the second time this week I've had to call stuff out on sounding like perverse sex acts and that's outright shameful.
SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME.

Benedict

Feb 21, 2012
Oh, jeez, it's spread to Yahtzee now. We're basically never, ever going to be safe from rhyming declarations of perverse lust for video game characters, are we? We might as well start calling dibs on our own polygonal waifus. In iambic pentameter.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I enjoyed both of them.

Though I must say Jim's voice really creeped me the hell out quite a bit.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Enough about Anita already
When it turns out dragons crown sells insanely well in Japan and overseas it will be obvious that if anything Anita's commentary and all the other ivory tower feminists only got people to buy it out of spite and free publicity.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:

Bravo, Jim! How delightfully dark and ingenious, too!

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Brilliant one by Jim, playing the all-controlling mastermind behind it all and then ending by saying he doesn't exist. One of his best I think.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
SO many layers of humor/criticism in this one! XD Gamer Fears referenced: Sexism, Feminism, Homophobia, Slender....yep I think we have it covered. No mention of the new console Gen though xD

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Interesting works, and much thanks for the transcript, Jim!

I half expected Jim to turn around wearing a scarecrow mask, or something. I was thinking it was a scarecrow theme.

omnifarious

Dec 7, 2012
Rebel_Raven said:
Interesting works, and much thanks for the transcript, Jim!

I half expected Jim to turn around wearing a scarecrow mask, or something. I was thinking it was a scarecrow theme.
With Jim's sense of humor I actually half expected him to turn around wearing a Hello Kitty mask!

rasta111

Nov 11, 2009
I don't know if you realise this Jim but you just spoke with my voice...

Now I know why I all but stopped gaming.

I didn't even have a choice.

As for you Yahtzee, you captured my mood, I don't think I'll ever be the same.

I'm still bitter and vengeful.

But I feel a little less pain.

So thanks for that I guess...

Sorry about dodging you and everything.

It was for the best.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Ah I was waiting for something like, "Still with all the feminists you got dragon's crown with it's giant breasts." Loving the game :)

Eh your problem Jim is your always following yahtzee, and yahtzee's poems are always like a dark somber type one. So basically people are still in that mood, so when you follow with bitter irony or something somberish or something dark like this it works, and fails if you do something lighter or weird. So either go first sometime when your doing lighter or funnier or have you both write the same mood of poems.

animeh1star1a

Nov 7, 2012
I find that Yahtzee tends to have funnier poems that i really enjoy, while Jim's make me think a bit. I find myself re-watching Jim's poems more then Yahtzee's because it takes a replay or two to understand them. I find poetry is at its best when you want to hear it more then once.

Vale

May 1, 2013
I just remembered that Yahtzee himself has created "the Thin Man" *old spoilers: Cabadath, the Proud Man* for his old-ass Trilby series. That was a while before "Slender Man" was made happened.
Not that the idea itself is new, its just kind of ironic.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
...did Yahtzee just make a Marble Hornets reference or two? (grainy video in a mask, memory lose)
My month was just made. Thank you, good sir

great poem by Jim as well.
Remember way back when Anita started her series & got all videogames banned? Me either

TheOrb

Jun 24, 2012
Yahtzee's poem came dangerusly close to turning me on, but Jim's modulated voice and villain air pushed me over the edge.
Verrry good, gents, verrrrrrrry good.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So I wanted to contratualte Yathzee for taking the "Borealez" One from JIm and outdoing him, but then Jim struck his magic supremacy and once again won. For a person who usually hates poetry, i enjoy this show way too much, you do have mind control over me it seems, you were right!