Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: The VGX Gag Reel

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
King = AAA publishers/devs
Jester = Indie devs

They basically do the same thing but the way they do them and why they succeed (if they do) are completely different.

Apr 28, 2008
My guess is Yahtzee's poem was about how indie games vs AAA big-budged big-named games.

Indies are often full of great ideas and clever design, whereas big AAA games are, well, not. Indies have to work their asses off for sales, since they don't have a big name to attack themselves to, while most AAA games these days are sequels reboots and are hoping to sell a lot based on the game's name.

That's my take anyway.

The end especially. The big AAA king wonders how the audience will figure something out without being told straight up. The jester says they're smart, they can figure it out.

Albatross727

Oct 30, 2013
Was the bit about the joker being a terrible king something to do with Valve's interpretation of how long a wait is acceptable between episodic games? Or was it just making the point that AAA labels should use their obscene wealth and marketing expertise to support creative developers? AS opposed than reducing the market to the most profitable franchises of the past and hyping the balls off of anything that looks like a big enough clone.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
deathbydeath said:
canadamus_prime said:
I didn't watch the VGX, but I'm guessing Jim's poem refers to their usual line up of celebrity guests that have nothing to do with video games.
No, this year's was rather wizard terrible and offensive and all hardcore g3merz should be outraged.

Jesus! I didn't think this "awards" show could get any worse, but leave it to Spike to hire Joel McHale. to host. -_- I feel sorry for the people who had to work with him during this mess. If one or all of them decided to kill this douch-bag with their bare hands, I'm pretty sure they could be found not guilty by reason of insanity.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Also, I got the analogy; you're talking about the dog from CoD: Ghosts, right?
I think it was something about tentacles. Right Dory?

Dory?

...Crap, she wandered off again.

Goliath100 said:
The king is AAA games, and Yahtzee called them boring and witless.
I would think that to be the case, since the "let's see you do better" argument usually applies as a defense to the big companies (gaming, movies, whatever), rather than towards the lower ranks. I doubt anyone has ever really said "I'd like to see you do better than a bog standard platform that is heralded BECAUSE ART!!!!!!!"

More to the point, it's leveled commonly at both laypeople and critics. It could be specific to Yahtzee, even, as he's an entertainer specifically.

Or it could be about ponies. Because isn't everything?

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Yeah, Spike killed it there.
First of all, I like Joel. I like his deadpan comedy. Problem is, it just doesn't work mixed in with this kind of award show. Stick to The Soup and the stage. That's his schtik; reading from the prompter in that style of delivery. Just .. just din't work for this.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Goliath100 said:
Are this for real? Did they air this? Is this the best they can do? Have Spike became aware that they are just a punchline? And most important of all: Have Jimmy became aware of the existence of Fire Emblem: Awakening (lol)?
Honestly, there seems to be a rather large portion of the gamer base who are self-loathing and enjoy this sort of thing.

Jim said something to the effect of this begin what the network deserves, but I think it might actually be more what gamers deserve, because we've set this up. I mean, not specific to the VGX20991337hardcorzgamezawards but in general.

Jimothy Sterling said:
I am sorry.

I'm just ... I'm just so sorry.
I think you can make for a better apology than that.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Okay.. the King is a big name, recognizable, famous for whatever reason person, so they put them on stage to do a comedian's job. They does a terrible job. The Jester is a comedian who does a comedian's job really really well. Which one of them do you think got paid more?

Both poems were about the same thing this week, which I actually kind of liked.

Also... who the hell is Joel McHale? I'm going to have to go look this guy up now, aren't I? Great... wait, he's a comedian? Well he's also an everything else. So is he really a comedian? What I just saw on the VGX was terrible.

Um... okay, new analogy. He appeared to be reading from a prompter; maybe the "King" wrote all his material and the "Jester" was just there for food money? We're sure he's an actual comedian, right? Not one of those fake ones where he's just good at acting on a TV show...

I'm so confused.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Mr. Q said:
deathbydeath said:
canadamus_prime said:
I didn't watch the VGX, but I'm guessing Jim's poem refers to their usual line up of celebrity guests that have nothing to do with video games.
No, this year's was rather wizard terrible and offensive and all hardcore g3merz should be outraged.

Jesus! I didn't think this "awards" show could get any worse, but leave it to Spike to hire Joel McHale. to host. -_- I feel sorry for the people who had to work with him during this mess. If one or all of them decided to kill this douch-bag with their bare hands, I'm pretty sure they could be found not guilty by reason of insanity.
That's how I felt. I mean, just in the first minute of that video alone you can see Geoff Keighley cringing into the corner of the room, trying to get off screen. His averted gaze and sad eyes scream, "This guy is a massive douche bag and I don't want to be associated with him." Upon looking up he sees only Oblivion. His mouth opens as if to speak, to defend gaming's honor, but then recoils in fear, afraid to get that much stupid redirected at him.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
I mean, the Jester can't be Joel McHogwash. He did not come off as any kind of a gamer. He actually seemed more like the type who thinks video games are taken too seriously and probably wonders why there are award shows at all. He's famous, obviously, so he got the hosting job on his name cred alone and he did a terrible job.

He's very likely the King and the Jester is... someone who is actually funny but doesn't get to host anything because they're not famous? I haven't seen any of his standup and I don't watch much TV, so I don't know if he's actually funny or not, but he was completely out of his element on the VGx. He took an already bad show and made it painful to watch.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I can see the King and Jester as analogies for both AAA publishers vs. Indie devs and for Spike TV's VGX (X? Really? Dafuq?), so well done Yahtzee! My only criticism is that you didn't wear a renaissance-era outfit and you weren't playing a lute. I didn't watch the VGA's (I am NOT using that bloody 'X') and now I'm not sure I want to. Now, or ever again. When was it on?

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
trty00 said:
Honestly, as bad as Joel Mchale was, and trust me, I really thought he was terrible, what exactly would have been gained by having a 'respectable' host? I used to be of the opinion that what Mchale did was jut an affront to the industry, but if we had someone 'respectable,' we would have just gotten advertisments, and plugs for Dorito's. I think about it, and the conclusion I come to is that the VGX is so fundamentally flawed, anti-humor like Mchale's seems like the only proper response.

Were his jokes awful, dated, and just offensive overall? Absolutely. But it's better than having stupid advertisements and patronizing bullshit. Trust me, Mchale wasn't the only bad thing about that travesty. It's as if we've all collectively forgotten how much of a corporate shill Geoff Keighly has been in the past, and how god-damn pandering the show's been before.
You know... there is a happy medium between corporate sellout and terrible human being. Like say... a funny person. Who makes us chuckle and is amusing.

Who said anything about "respectable"? There are funny people out there making funny jokes about games. They just happen not to be as famous as more offensive comedians. I agree with you that VGx is a terrible idea but they went so far as to actually make it worse. That, to answer your question, is what we would've gotten from a "respectable" host: the whole didn't-make-things-worse angle. I've been seeing posts come up "at least they got a real gamer to call them on their shit", and to whomever thinks Joel McHowitzer is a gamer, his behavior on that show makes gamers look like assholes.

I'ma reminded of a CSI episode involving the furries. Did you know that they brought in an actual factual furry to advise the show writers?. On all accounts, they didn't really listen to him, but they got to say "no, this is how it is because we had one of THEM on staff".

Well, Joel McDouche, in this analogy, gave them slightly more credibility... and for that... yeah, I'd have rather seen some corporate fakey up on that stage. At least everyone would've kept ignoring the VGx.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
deathbydeath said:
I didn't see VGX, but I did hear news about it. Now I have watched a few clips of it... and...

ya... that was pretty terrible actually.

That's all I can say about it really.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
deathbydeath said:
canadamus_prime said:

Wow that was pathetic, even by Spike standards.
Spike... standards? Does Spike have standards?

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
I get the strong feeling that Yahtzee's poem was about nothing, why? Because that poem could be applied to just about anything in our society. He's just screwing with us.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
canadamus_prime said:
deathbydeath said:
canadamus_prime said:

Wow that was pathetic, even by Spike standards.
Spike... standards? Does Spike have standards?
By "standards" I, of course, mean what can usually be expected from Spike TV. Those standards being somewhere and the mantle layer of the Earth.