Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Thisfellow said:
MowDownJoe said:
FFP2 said:
I didn't get Jim's one :-(

Was it something to do with the Xbone?
More like fanboys in general who'll defend a game before its out.
Doesn't that leave both parties clueless, though? Let's say I were to champion the CoD dog to Jathzee(Someone slipped something in my drink in this scenario), neither of us would have any grounds to base our respective opinions off.
You don't have to prove a negative.

"This has not impressed me. It lacks anything that impresses me."

is a logical argument.

"Anyone who doesn't like this game I've never played is wrong!"

is a fallacy.

The former is a negative statement; a statement that something isn't.

The latter is a positive statement; a statement that something is, and yet the person has no reasoning to back it up.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Remus said:
Man Yahtzee why'd you have to remind me? Poor Angelina, her cleavage will be missed.
I only just found out! Still cancer is a *****. After some googling, I found out she had a boob job to cover it up. So good news I suppose.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Innegativeion said:
Thisfellow said:
MowDownJoe said:
FFP2 said:

Doesn't that leave both parties clueless, though? Let's say I were to champion the CoD dog to Jathzee(Someone slipped something in my drink in this scenario), neither of us would have any grounds to base our respective opinions off.

is a logical argument.

is a fallacy.

The latter is a positive statement; a statement that something is, and yet the person has no reasoning to back it up.
They are both fallacies, because Yahtzee hadn't tried the share button, so his argument is not better than someone saying "this movie, which I haven't seen, must be garbage ".

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
hermes200 said:
Innegativeion said:
Thisfellow said:
MowDownJoe said:
FFP2 said:

is a logical argument.

is a fallacy.

They are both fallacies, because Yahtzee hadn't tried the share button, so his argument is not better than someone saying "this movie, which I haven't seen, must be garbage ".
A lack of interest is not the same thing as an abundance of contempt.

Thisfellow

Dec 13, 2012
Innegativeion said:
hermes200 said:
It would seem to me that Yathzee is expressing contempt to the share button*, after all, he is not contemplating to instal one on an existing console. He knows the PS4 comes with this feature and finds the console less desireable for it. If he merely had disintrest for the feature, it wouldn't have made the console any worse for him, would it?

*I don't like the sound of it myself, mind. I'm not trying to defend the PS4 here.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Trishbot said:
Am I the only one that still enjoys the appropriate irony of Microsoft continually hyping the Xbox One by mentioning a game called "TitanFall"?

Also, as someone that lives in rural Oklahoma with unstable internet, I look forward to their offline policy!

Hahahahahahahahahaha! I really hadnt thought about that, but thats as delicious as irony gets.

OT: I just cannot have enough rhymes! Thanks for bringing it Jim and Ben!

satsugaikaze

Feb 26, 2011
If Jim's metaphor was about Microsoft it would have been odd, since I'm pretty sure at the very least the dudes who designed and marketed their product would have playtested it (at the very least, Major Nelson would have, lol). Seems to me to be more of a general metaphor about people hawking their product, anyway.

I'd side with Yahtzee by principle on this one (although not to the same apathetic extremes), seeing as it's been little but hype and bullshit (and sometimes bullshit hype) for the past few weeks.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Innegativeion said:
hermes200 said:
Innegativeion said:
Thisfellow said:
MowDownJoe said:
FFP2 said:

is a logical argument.

is a fallacy.

But in your example, both phrases are not equivalent. One is stated as a fact (wrong), the other is an opinion (acceptable). If they were the same, it would be a fallacy both by the negative as the positive, and you would have to prove a negative.

Saying "I am not interested in this" or "I am looking forward to this" is not a fallacy. Saying "this game/system/feature that I have never used is great/horrible" is the same kind of argumentative fallacy. And I think Yahtzee's attitude is closer to "contempt" than to "disinterest".

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
JoeyMousepadd said:
Jokes aren't funny if you have to explain them.
Metaphor isn't as trenchant if you have to say "Metaphor!" at the end.
I am not a fan of the "Metaphor!" at the end, for the same reason I am not a fun of the laugh track. Not because I wouldn't get it, but because he felt he needed to state it as a punchline in case someone would say "What does cheese has to do with it?"

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
satsugaikaze said:
If Jim's metaphor was about Microsoft it would have been odd, since I'm pretty sure at the very least the dudes who designed and marketed their product would have playtested it (at the very least, Major Nelson would have, lol). Seems to me to be more of a general metaphor about people hawking their product, anyway.
It is a weird metaphor, considering the last couple week we had. It has all been built up around people telling us about how great things we haven't tried (but they have) are.

It works both in the negative (someone attacking a movie/book/game/TV show as "the worst", even when they haven't see/read/played it, but heard about someone that did) or the positive (someone defending it as "the best", despite having only indirect information about it). So (I am playing devil's advocate here) at some level, Don Mattick could use it with us, since all of us had only read about (and then repeated) opinions on the XBox One, while he has (presumably) personally used it.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
This is my favourite so far, both poem's were very funny and come through very clear, and I reckon the delivery came out perfect (even Jims character over-reaction).

Vicioussama

Jun 5, 2008
Is that enough rhymes for you, forums? Forums who were bitching so heavily at Yahtzee last week?

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsqJFIJ5lLs

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Thisfellow said:
It would seem to me that Yathzee is expressing contempt to the share button*, after all, he is not contemplating to instal one on an existing console. He knows the PS4 comes with this feature and finds the console less desireable for it. If he merely had disintrest for the feature, it wouldn't have made the console any worse for him, would it?

*I don't like the sound of it myself, mind. I'm not trying to defend the PS4 here.
hermes200 said:
Saying "I am not interested in this" or "I am looking forward to this" is not a fallacy. Saying "this game/system/feature that I have never used is great/horrible" is the same kind of argumentative fallacy. And I think Yahtzee's attitude is closer to "contempt" than to "disinterest".
Then you weren't paying attention, because I was explaining the point of JIM's metaphor.

(apparently I wasn't either, since one of you said "Yahtzee" in your first quote, but what's done is done)

This has nothing to do with Yahtzee's poem, which is about his age-old hype philosophy;

He intentionally thinks little of everything he hasn't tried.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Innegativeion said:
Thisfellow said:

hermes200 said:
Then you weren't paying attention, because I was explaining the point of JIM's metaphor.

(apparently I wasn't either, since one of you said "Yahtzee" in your first quote, but what's done is done)

This has nothing to do with Yahtzee's poem, which is about his age-old hype philosophy;
He intentionally thinks little of everything he hasn't tried.
I get Yahtzee's philosophy. I just think JIM's metaphor can be used to answer on most of Yahtzee's points, since hating on something I haven't played is conceptually as flawed as loving on something I haven't played.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Yahtzee's was brilliantly witty then Jim just shouting fuckfuckfuckfuck was made funnier by the contrast.

Thisfellow

Dec 13, 2012
Innegativeion said:
That's exactly what made me think it was about Yazhee. I hadn't reconised it as an oversight.

hermes200 said:
I get Yahtzee's philosophy. I just think JIM's metaphor can be used to answer on most of Yahtzee's points, since hating on something I haven't played is conceptually as flawed as loving on something I haven't played.
Still, sceptiscism or optimism about something you still have to experience is not a bad thing. So long as both sides don't resort to dogma's or fallacies and keep out of one-another's hair, it can be a good way of getting people to think about posibilities.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh, I've been meaning to ask if the whole brits love cheese/tea thing is just a terrible stereotype or if there's a basis in reality?
Yes I know most stereotypes have a small basis in reality, but being American...it really does seem like cheese is a big thing across the pond...

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I think my problem with Jim's metaphor is it implies he has actually tasted the 'cheese'. Okay fuck it, it implies he's played one of the new gen consoles and doesn't like it. He hasn't. He couldn't have one yet. So it turns into an argument between a guy who loves a cheese but hasn't eaten it, and another guy who hates that same cheese...but again, hasn't eaten it. And that's just not an argument worth having. Yes its a metaphor and yes fanboys are overly zealous about one system or another, but they haven't come out yet! Saying they're terrible is just as misinformed as saying they're great!