Jimquisition: A-LIE-ns: Colonial Marines

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
A-LIE-ns: Colonial Marines

Sterling walks through Gearbox's walkthrough of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Watch Video

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yeah, I feel sorry for anyone that pre-ordered this, especially if they've based their pre-order on demos such as this.

They've just been completely bullshitted to by Gearbox, and it makes me sad, because they were seen (Duke Nukem Forever aside) as one of the better developers in the business.

lazarus1209

Mar 17, 2011
This was possibly my most hotly anticipated game of the year, and they somehow found a way to gloriously fuck it up. It's amazing that they somehow managed to surprise everyone with how shit a product this ended up being.

Mister Six

Aug 16, 2010
Jesus. I thought people were blowing how bad the game was out of proportion by comparing it to Duke Nukem, but Christ if this true Gearbox really dropped the ball.

thetenet

Mar 12, 2008
I love the series too. I am sure it will survive one crappy game and whoever tries to make an aliens game in the future will have this demo as a solid foundation.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Damn... I had never actually seen that demo before and seeing it now after all the bad press the game's gotten just makes me feel sad. The demo looks f'ing amazing, like how a proper Aliens game should be. Instead we get Call of Duty in space with one of the most clever and terrifying fictional alien species being reduced to cannon fodder kamikaze idiots.

Arnoxthe1

Dec 25, 2010
OK...

But WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER? Is it half-way decent? I've already asked this in a similar thread but everyone's apparently still too busy crying about the campaign. Yes, it's crap. Didn't happen. Sorry. Let's move on now, shall we?

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
WOW. Ok, let me break this down:
Extra video on a Wednesday
No Intro or theatrics
No Ironic self-referential smarmyness
No swearing, calm blow-by-blow break down

Analasys: Jim is seriously disappointed.
And listening to him, he seems to have evey right to be.

MrCalypso

Jul 14, 2010
So the whole problem here is that practically none of the game play elements appear in the final game correct? Maybe if they had spent some more time on the game instead of this demo, which may be completely pre-rendered, it would have been at least a little better.....

Yokillernick

May 11, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

But WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER? I've already asked this in a similar thread but everyone's apparently still too busy crying about the campaign. Yes, it's crap. Didn't happen. Sorry. Let's move on now, shall we?
I'm not 100% sure how many people actually bought an Aliens game for the multiplayer. It's like asking how many people bought Battlefield 3 solely for the singleplayer, it just doesn't happen. Plus you are totally wrong about saying that the people cried over the game. It's their right since from what this shows they have been conned out of their £40-60 which I guess is a good reason to cry about. So you might want to concentrate on the company scamming you before you ask about the multiplayer, you know priorities.

OK moving on. Isn't pulling crap like this illegal ?

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
Huh....Kinda like the original Ghost Recon Future Soldier Demo back in 2010...Final product was a complete let down..."We want to bring you the battlefield of the future with a hologram around your gun, a toy robot, and a cloaking gadget that works by magic."

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I hadn't seen that demo until now, I can't believe a dev could possibly screw up so badly when they had such a promising prototype. At least other companies are just deceptive in the sense that they show you the best bits, or that they show you a good bit that isn't representative of the final product but at least is actually in the game (i.e brutal legend demo).

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Isnt this fraud?

This is fraud. Right?

I bought my game on steam, so I guess I'm fucked either way...but god damnit. Seeing how it COULD have been is just salt in the wound.

Yokillernick said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

But WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER? I've already asked this in a similar thread but everyone's apparently still too busy crying about the campaign. Yes, it's crap. Didn't happen. Sorry. Let's move on now, shall we?
I'm not 100% sure how many people actually bought an Aliens game for the multiplayer. It's like asking how many people bought Battlefield 3 solely for the singleplayer, it just doesn't happen. Plus you are totally wrong about saying that the people cried over the game. It's their right since from what this shows they have been conned out of their £40-60 which I guess is a good reason to cry about. So you might want to concentrate on the company scamming you before you ask about the multiplayer, you know priorities.

If the multiplayer was anywhere near the AVP from 1999 I would buy it only for that, fuck single player. But alas, consoles have fucked up fpses for all eternity.

I havent tried anything but coop yet, but I guess its shit. Like the rest of the game.

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
This is the second video I've seen comparing the final game to the demo. Man this all is going to reflect badly on those involved. I really do hope we get an honest explanation as to why this was. I want to hear what really happened and why this was all done.

Knowing the industry pundants we'll just get a canned apology with no explanation at all. I sincerely wish the industry would be honest and transparent with us all and stop insulting our intelligence with fabrications like this.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
tzimize said:
Isnt this fraud?

This is fraud. Right?

I bought my game on steam, so I guess I'm fucked either way...but god damnit. Seeing how it COULD have been is just salt in the wound.
There have been reports of people getting refund in some way or another. Either by real money or just cash for your Steam Wallet. Might be worth a try?

I was exited about this game. Thankfully I didn't preorder it.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
You can find an a/b comparison of certain scenes between the "Demo" they've shown and the actual game here, just showing the "Demo" and talking doesn't exactly have the same effect as comparing the two directly:

Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

But WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER? Is it half-way decent? I've already asked this in a similar thread but everyone's apparently still too busy crying about the campaign. Yes, it's crap. Didn't happen. Sorry. Let's move on now, shall we?
Just get Natural Selection 2 or AvP (2010) instead.

Tisiphone1

Doing Science
Dec 27, 2011
Makes me wonder if this demo was made by Gearbox itself....perhaps unlike the vast majority of the actual game, since they were busy with Borderlands 2.

Arnoxthe1

Dec 25, 2010
Yokillernick said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

lol It was a figure of speech. And I'm not the one who got conned 'cause I didn't buy it. Halo 4 remains the only game to date that I have preordered or bought right on launch day. People should consider being more stingy when it comes to new games. But that wasn't the whole point anyway. The point is, we've confirmed the campaign to be crap. I'm just trying to see if there's some lasting value still in the game in the form of multiplayer. AvP2 had some of the best multiplayer I've seen even if the Predator was terribly unbalanced.

Doctor Proctor

Omega-3 Man
Oct 21, 2008
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

From what I've seen, the multiplayer is basically considered passable. Not great, not bad, but passable. It is, however, full of missing animations and low-res textures, just like the rest of the game. And it is NOT worth $60

Honestly, this is one of my biggest gaming disappointments. I remember when GI did a cover story on this like 5 years ago, and I've been waiting and hoping for it to come out ever since. I watched the demo and the trailers, and I plunked down my money for my preorder, and then LUCKILY saw the bad reviews rolling in Tuesday morning.

In the vain hope of some kind of miracle patch that fixes stuff, or some promise from Gearbox that something went horribly wrong during cert/manufacturing and that it would be fixed forthwith, I decided to give them a few days before totally cancelling my pre-order and getting a refund. As of yet though, that hasn't happened.

Their last official tweet (as of this post) was "We?ll have special Borderlands 2 SHiFT codes (from Moxxi, no less) tomorrow to celebrate Loverpalooza -- stay tuned!" I think that pretty sums it all up here...A:CM sucks because GearBox abandoned it to work on Borderlands 2, and then rushed it out the door because they counted on Aliens fans to just lap it up before the word of mouth completely killed it. Show what they think of their customers I guess...

spookydom

Aug 31, 2009
Ok all the hate makes a bit more sense now. I pre-orderd the game and have literally just finnished the single player. I enjoyed it a lot, however I knew full well it wasn't the game it could have been. During the build up before release I had not watched any demos, game play,advertisements becasue I didn't want any spoliers. I have owned every Aliens game one every platform to the best of my knowledge since the Amstrad 464 days so I was going to buy it anyway. Couldn't belive all the negativity and disapointment the game was getting yesterday. If I had seen this demo at any point before purchasing and compared it to what I just played through I think I would have been extremely pissed off to put it mildly.

SirDerick

Nov 9, 2009
rhizhim said:
where the hell can i download that demo in the first place(pc)?
As far as i know, this wasn't actually a playable demo, more of a "Let's show you guys ten minutes of *cough* actual *Cough* gameplay."
From the look of the actual game, most of this demo might have been pre-rendered.

labbu

Nov 18, 2009
rhizhim said:
It's a press demo, to be shown on press events to show off the game. It's not freely available.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ronack said:
So, basically... False advertising? Isn't that against the law in the US of A?
Unfortunately, "false advertising" is easier and easier to get away with because we've become a culture of corporate lapdogs who will either insist they don't mind being lied to or berate others for expecting honesty in media.

The latter's a tricky point, because we've always had the soft lies in media. Nowadays, we're getting some pretty major ones. bait and switch, marketing claims not even close to true, and demos that claim to represent the game but do not.

I'm fine with demos which are demos for the sake of demos, for the record. It's when you say that such a demo is from the game, or represents it when it doesn't. That's the problem.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
no proof but it reeks of someone seeing the final game going "oh shit we cant let people see this before release it will kill sales" a team told to go all out making that demo just to give a fale impression of actual gameplay to boost initial preorder and day one sales before reviews and word of mouth killed purchases.

my thoughts are with you guys who purchased it. i loved the movie and the games since the amstrad have rocked but yeah ill skip this

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
This demo....just release that alone and I'd be satisfied, seriously. This demo is fucking perfect. How did they fuck up the demo?!

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Doctor Proctor said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

From what I've seen, the multiplayer is basically considered passable. Not great, not bad, but passable. It is, however, full of missing animations and low-res textures, just like the rest of the game. And it is NOT worth $60

Honestly, this is one of my biggest gaming disappointments. I remember when GI did a cover story on this like 5 years ago, and I've been waiting and hoping for it to come out ever since. I watched the demo and the trailers, and I plunked down my money for my preorder, and then LUCKILY saw the bad reviews rolling in Tuesday morning.

In the vain hope of some kind of miracle patch that fixes stuff, or some promise from Gearbox that something went horribly wrong during cert/manufacturing and that it would be fixed forthwith, I decided to give them a few days before totally cancelling my pre-order and getting a refund. As of yet though, that hasn't happened.

Their last official tweet (as of this post) was "We?ll have special Borderlands 2 SHiFT codes (from Moxxi, no less) tomorrow to celebrate Loverpalooza -- stay tuned!" I think that pretty sums it all up here...A:CM sucks because GearBox abandoned it to work on Borderlands 2, and then rushed it out the door because they counted on Aliens fans to just lap it up before the word of mouth completely killed it. Show what they think of their customers I guess...
I was lucky somewhat. I pre-ordered it and such and unfortunately had the balls to try it myself. I SOMEHOW got my 60$ back, though for in-store credit, I managed to fixiate that money into a Bioshock: Infinite Pre-order. At least then I KNOW it'll be worth my 60$

Mar 30, 2010
I'll start right off the bat by saying I don't know when this demo was made, but surely a game that has been in development for seven years will have some content cut from it that was at some point meant to be included? Fair enough if this demo is six months old then there is no excuse for it, but if this demo is older than that and is showing a sequence that was going to be in the game but then got cut after the demo was made, well, is it that bad?

Incidentally Jim, Facehuggers only twitch if it's love at first sight. Maybe this one just didn't feel your vibe. :)

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Wow this is really damning and I honestly can't think of an explanation other than a deliberate attempt at deception.

Could this be a legal matter? This seems like straight up false advertising.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
SirDerick said:
rhizhim said:
As far as i know, this wasn't actually a playable demo, more of a "Let's show you guys ten minutes of *cough* actual *Cough* gameplay."
From the look of the actual game, most of this demo might have been pre-rendered.
ah, i was wondering why so many people played it and where to download it.
and was about to slam consoles with their outdated and restricting hardware (they really need a new generation, badly)

but it turns out its just another pre rendered thing that was labeled as actual gameplay just like duke nukem forever.

this is duke nukem forever all over again. they did it again! they learned nothing at all. even if they didnt develope it, you dont release an unfinished game.

also interstellar marines is on steam greenlight.
you can even play a demo of that game.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
I just... I really don't have words. I did not realize that this shit as bad as it... was. I mean I was getting the jist of it from the reviews but, good god.

When was the last time this big of a disappointment happened for the gaming industry? Like... Driver 3 maybe? Or is there something else non-Aliens related I'm forgetting?

I seriously hope Gearbox is in some deep shit for this, they were probably one of the few remaining companies I felt weren't completely fucking up but with this... I seriously hope there's something that went terribly wrong and that this wasn't just the outcome of laziness.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Dexter111 said:
You can find an a/b comparison of certain scenes between the "Demo" they've shown and the actual game here, just showing the "Demo" and talking doesn't exactly have the same effect as comparing the two directly:
Spot on here, thanks for the comparison vid.

And here I had avoided the game because of the DLC garbage but with this stacked on as well? Pff. Well Aliens: Colonial Marines; be seeing you in the bargain bin and probably a lot sooner than I'd expected.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
was this demo alone that sold me on it......so very very lucky i ended up being too broke to buy it day one.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Just found this on Kotaku
http://kotaku.com/5984068/how-aliens-colonial-marines-fell-apart

To summarize:
Sounds like Gearbox outsourced a bunch of shit to another company and they fucked everything up while Gearbox was working on Borderlands 2. Its too bad too after seeing the demo footage - it looks like it would have been a good game if Gearbox hadn't pawned it off on someone else.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Terminate421 said:
I managed to fixiate that money into a Bioshock: Infinite Pre-order. At least then I KNOW it'll be worth my 60$
Turns out you never go outside in Bioshock Infinite and you can't use anything other than guns until the final boss fight.

OT:

People should really stop pre-ordering unless there's some game play available to them. Patience saves you disappointment.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Great stuff Jim, this is a most disturbing turn of events. Could they do this if they had more time or is it like Kinect's Milo and it was never possible?

Also it's interesting that I visited Metacritic earlier today and it had 50/100, now it has 42/1000. The difference is that there was 90/100 Electronic Gaming Monthly review, which is so devoid of content it screams P.R. release ( http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-aliens-colonial-marines/ ) which has now been dropped. So on the bright side, maybe Metacritic is improving its quality control...maybe...possibly...probably not...

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
lazarus1209 said:
This was possibly my most hotly anticipated game of the year, and they somehow found a way to gloriously fuck it up. It's amazing that they somehow managed to surprise everyone with how shit a product this ended up being.
Well, to be fair, this completely fake "demo" was a big reason why the game was so highly anticipated. If the game was anything like that... It might actually have been good.

What baffles me is why the demo looks so much better than the PC version? I mean, seriously, it's miles ahead - fog, lighting, weapon particle effects.. nothing looks like the actual game.

Companies should really be burned for bullshit like this.

As someone mentioned above, this should be treated like false advertisement and punished accordingly.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

Who cares about the multiplayer? There's enough MP shooter games already we need more single player ones.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Easton Dark said:
People should really stop pre-ordering unless there's some game play available to them. Patience saves you disappointment.
Yep, Pre-Ordering games is an inherently rather stupid consumer practice. Can't say I haven't done it myself several times, but usually on stuff I was rather sure of and I never got burned.

There was another long Total Biscuit rant about it on occasion of Aliens: Colonial Marines:

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Yokillernick said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

Unfortunately I don't think so. They always put in the safety net of "this video may not be representative of the final product" bullshit. Although I wish someone would take them to task for it.

Personally I found it to be a very generic shooter. The leveling system is cool (as Jim says in his review) but the game is bland and poorly designed/executed at best.

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
Well...at least the demo looks pretty good? Maybe i'll just download that and enjoy 10 mins of well scripted Aliens stuff.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
You forgot to mention the game itself is buggy as all hell
Within five minutes of co op I fell through the map and kept falling for five minutes

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Dexter111 said:
Easton Dark said:
Yep, Pre-Ordering games is an inherently rather stupid consumer practice. Can't say I haven't done it myself several times, but usually on stuff I was rather sure of and I never got burned.

There was another long Total Biscuit rant about it on occasion of Aliens: Colonial Marines:
I have pre-ordered 1 game, 1 only and it will be my last. Coincedentally, it was a Gearbox game, Borderlands. Pre-ordered in 2009 (for the cheaper PC price of $50 which I guess helped) and I can't tell you how disappointed I was. I vowed that day to never again pre-order without seeing the game in action first, the final game.

I also saw that video yesterday. Agreed with everything.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Mother of hell is this disappointing. I'm very glad I forgot to pre-order. I don't think I'll be able to buy Gearbox products again. It's a principle thing. Borderlands is great, but jesus man. This is the second time the company has bilked people out of their money based on hype. (In this case, total bullshit.) I remember seeing this demo awhile back, jaw on the floor, the 6 year old in me giddy with anticipation of finally, FINALLY having a proper Colonial Marines game. I used to read the Dark Horse comics back in the day. I love this franchise. I came home from work, fired up the PC looking for early reviews and was absolutely shocked at what I found. What a disa-fucking-ppointment. Damn it Gearbox. You guys said you were Aliens nerds. Goddamn it. You fucked this one up badly. I was never really into Duke Nukem. I could forgive that. I was pissed for people that I felt were tricked into pre-ordering that game, but that was their choice to make. This is/was also a choice people made, but this franchise isn't Duke Nukem. Gearbox, c'mon. Aliens? A "canon" videogame sequel to one of my, and many others, top movies of all time? That demo that strung all of us hopefuls along and eventually got many, many pre-orders sold? Jesus hell man. You all fucked this one up royally.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Magmarock said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

Who cares about the multiplayer? There's enough MP shooter games already we need more single player ones.
Oh... and the MP blows too. Its too glitchy and just isn't properly balanced. It feels like a cool idea, but tacked on with the engine of the weak sauce single player game. The maps are quite tiny and when playing a xeno, you don't feel very mobile considering what you are.

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
Wow...I never cared about this game even when it was still being talked about in a "potential game of the year" light, but if I'd seen this, I probably would have gone out and pre-ordered it. Paying 60 bucks for such a sub-par game, and then seeing what it could have been...That's gotta REALLY hurt.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It's annoying because we get to see what the game would have been like if Gear Box actually created the game. Instead we get to see what we should have had and are stuck with the actual product. How annoying is that. The animations in the demo are really good, that is why i bought the game. The gameplay looked good, there was a lot of high quality stuff going on and it looked like a lot of fun and a worthy canon followup to Aliens. What a mess.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Isnt this fraud?

This is fraud. Right?
No cause it's a demo they can cover their arse with the fact that it was a demo that it is not representative of the final product.

I wasn't really watching this game, but with it being an FPS and an Aliens title had it been decent I would have bought it. I waited a few hours after release to find out what the opinion was and when I read some of the early reviews I am glad I didn't pre order. The thing is the more I see of the demo and the build up 'gameplay' videos vs the final product the more tragic this gets.

Just remember these are the folk that gave us Borderlands 2... how the hell did they make such a mess of this game?

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Other than, WOW I am surprised Gearbox would drop the ball, or the whole F'en pool table, on this one, I want a Space Hulk 40K video game made like that.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Dexter111 said:
Yeah, saw that one on Jim's twitter. Amazing how much content got ripped out of the final game, and Jim didn't even mention the complete lack of dynamic shadows/fog/rain etc... Would have gotten the game if it was like the demo in an instant, now? Not so much.

Capatcha: "never mind" Guess that's what Ill do then.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
People are looking at this the wrong way; it's a conspiracy. Gearbox is doing okay, between Borderlands and XCOM they can get away with making a bad game that performs terribly and walk away unscathed. That's not the case with the publisher Sega, and Gearbox developed this game to give them a sucker punch and bring them one step closer to the brink.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
That messed that game up bad. Fact it has the Aliens name on it means you can wait a few more months to make it awesome. No need to rush it. It would sell on the name alone. Idiots.

Actually why rush it out? Whats so important that it had to be released now? Not like its christmas or anything. Would have been better to wait 6 months and have an awesome game that makes money. Than rushing it and all reviewers slating it and thus you sell nothing. Or is that to common sense?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I was wondering why the demo looked like it came from some parallel dimension where movie-license games learned how to not entirely suck (Goldeneye excluded).

When you outsource a project, definitely keep quality-control in mind, or you end up with controversy like this that really should not be.

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
Oh man. That's bloody aweful!

I loved the AVP2 game from ten years ago. Had me jumping out of my fucking skin.

This is almost "Duke 2 1/2 - the search for more money". Cue Kevin Kline's line in Fish Called Wanda right after opening the safe.

"ok. ok..... DISSAPOINTEEEED!!"

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Wow.

And so go my fantasies about buying the Wii U just because the tablet had the motion sensor on it.

No reason to get it at all, anymore.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Have you ever thought that this is a gameplay demo and not a content demo?
All you're saying is that the scenes in the demon don't happen in the game which is nothing new or bad. They give you a demo to show you the gameplay without showing you much content.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I always thought the appeal of the Xenomorphs was in their smartness and subtlety.
That they were intelligent yet merciless predators that would stalk you, outsmart you, and eventually get you.

Now they're giant lizards that foolishly jump in front of guns and yell "ooga-booga-booh".

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Lies and deception are kinda Gearbox's thing now between this, Duke and Borderlands 2. People forget how god damn amazing Borderlands 2 looked in its trailers and while the actual game got closer to its marketing yet again the ads are incredibly over selling what the game is. I'm definitely not giving any of their products a look until they are released and reviewed ever again.

Thank god I held back on CM or I'd have blown another 50 odd dollars on a lie.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
I bought the 2010 version of Aliens vs Predator on steam today. Though the campaigns are short, it at least feels like freakin' Aliens. The Xenos slither and retreat, and actually stalk you and don't act like mindless bullet sponges.

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
I had to check what day it was today, then realised it was indeed Wednesday and proceeded to get excited. Thanks for the love letter Jim :)

(Zero Punctuation and Jimquistion on the same day! Awesome.)

Regards the game, was it rushed out like Sonic 06? Or is it just that Gearbox are bad at making games? (Remember Duke Nukem: Forever?)

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Jimothy Sterling said:

Watch Video
Really wish I had seen this before I bought it. The ending, the horror... They Clive Barker's Jericho'd, the ending. I mean, Gearbox really?

Winters: Did we get everything Bishop? Please say we got everything, we could really use a win here.
Bishop: We got everything... Roll Credits
Fuck You Gearbox

Did working on Duke Nukem: Forever kill any creativity you had left? Was it a virus? Do you need to be quarantined? What other games are they working on? I will have to avoid them, I think they are working on the Xcom FPS? Well there goes that, I hope I am wrong.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Wow. I think your rage broke, Jim. You seem so dead-pan and calm, I kept expecting you to explode. Are you able to feel anything after this betrayal, or is something else keeping you sane through all this?

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
Country
United States
Grouchy Imp said:
I'll start right off the bat by saying I don't know when this demo was made, but surely a game that has been in development for seven years will have some content cut from it that was at some point meant to be included? Fair enough if this demo is six months old then there is no excuse for it, but if this demo is older than that and is showing a sequence that was going to be in the game but then got cut after the demo was made, well, is it that bad?

Incidentally Jim, Facehuggers only twitch if it's love at first sight. Maybe this one just didn't feel your vibe. :)
Well my grouchy friend, it's not really so much that they removed the specific part where you "go do whatever", but rather (from what Jim has said in the viedo) it's more about the bigger "long term" things. Like the lack of detail in levels, the aliens not attacking smartly, the aliens not being introduced in such cool ways, and the little things like the facehuggers trying to say ":D HI!" It's more about removing those things, and not so much about just not having the same levels as in the demo.

That's what I think is more of what the issue is.
May you have a nice day.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

- The official review of this game on the Escapist talked about the multiplayer I'm pretty sure, saying something along the lines of 'It's slightly better than the campaign, but still ultimately a piece of shit'.

- For someone who wanted a more rounded and official view of the game, I'm surprised you haven't already checked out the official review.

- As someone already said, the campaign was supposed to be the big pull of this game. Gearbox wouldn't have made such a big deal of the campaign's story being official Alien series canon if it wasn't.

- I'd say the biggest and most clear cut example of false advertising in the gaming industry in... well, I don't know how long, but I've been gaming a fair few years and I've never seen anything this horrendous before, is something that well worth "crying about" as you so diplomatically put it.

- The game has been out for only 2 days I think. Maybe it's been 3 or 4, but in any case, how long do you think it's justified for consumers to be angry about blatant fraud? I'd say people are entitled to a fair few weeks more of giving Gearbox the ear-full they deserve for this, at least.

Aug 1, 2010
Truly a pathetic display by Gearbox.

It might as well have been one of those useless Final Fantasy per-rendered trailers.

Alien vs Predator 2 is still the best Aliens game.

wolfyrik

Jun 18, 2012
This was the first game I've ever pre-ordered. I was thinking hmmm £10 less on Steam now or full price after for a game I'll likely get being a fan of the franchise? I was researching the game to decide and saw the "demo" video.

I thought "fuckt it, this is pretty impressive. If my PC can run it even at lowerd settings, it's gonna be great".

My PC is not fantastic. I have to turn the settings down to about medium for many games but can tweak some settings higher.

I can run the actual game of A:CM on highest settings, cos it really is nothing like the demo. I'm never going to pre-order again and I won't be funding any more games by gearbox. Shame cos I was gonna get Borderlands 2, but fuck them. Fuck them right in the ear.

May even reconsider Sega, once it's established how this happened. There needs to be noise about this debacle. A lot of noise. And even the dumbass fanbois who are, even right now, trying to excuse the changes in content and general downgrade that this game comprises, need to stop and thinking about what exactly this means to the gaming indsutry. Cos if they get away with this, then gaming is going to go down hill quickly. Other publishers, will pick up on this tactic if it's successful.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Kyogissun said:
I just... I really don't have words. I did not realize that this shit as bad as it... was. I mean I was getting the jist of it from the reviews but, good god.

When was the last time this big of a disappointment happened for the gaming industry? Like... Driver 3 maybe? Or is there something else non-Aliens related I'm forgetting?

I seriously hope Gearbox is in some deep shit for this, they were probably one of the few remaining companies I felt weren't completely fucking up but with this... I seriously hope there's something that went terribly wrong and that this wasn't just the outcome of laziness.
It happens a lot actually, it's just that people tend not to notice unless it's a game they happen to be interested in or following. Being a big-budget FPS that had FPS junkies drooling due to the liscence attached to it and the cred Gearbox built up from "Borderlands" it's getting a lot more attention because it's comparitively mainstream.

To put things into perspective right alongside this, a company called Gazillion is in the hotseat. They are the ones making the "Marvel Heroes" MMO, which occasionally gets mentioned. They are basically running a "Marvel Ultimate Alliance" inspired MMO where you buy access to specific super heroes and run around in a top-down persistant world beating the crap out of legions of thugs. It's still under development and there have been articles and videos and stuff of it all over The Internet if you look, and it has come up here on "The Escapist".

What Gazillion did was offer people "founders deals" where if you paid to buy characters to play off of them early you'd get these super deals for early adoption. A pretty common gimmick. Well just now they decided to run a deal where they are giving away Jean Gray and Cyclops for free to anyone who buys any level of founder pack from them on Valentines day. This needless to say really slots off anyone who bought those characters specifically to see them being given away free as a promotion for a game that hasn't even come out yet. There is a bit of a storm about it on their forums, I wrote a few messages about it as well.

Then of course we had the entire "Mass Effect 3" contreversy which didn't entirely revolve around the ending just sucking, but that it sucked and was directly contridictory to promises made by the developers as the game was being created, with those promises and statements being used to promote the game. Then there was a "behind the scenes" app showing that the guys doing the game never actually intended for any of those promises to be met... and also a "you can't make crap like this up" bit explaining that the ending they decided to go with was basically coceived by like an
8 year old boy who wrote in to them. At the end of the day it wasn't as involved as a demo showing "this is what our game is" and then not delivering anything close, but it went into the same territory by having guys who are developers and should know their stuff coming out and saying "this will not be an A B or C choice ending", etc... A lot of people don't really get the anger surrounding Mass Effect 3, summarizing it simply as "rage over not liking the ending" doesn't quite cover why this got to be so much bigger than other products with endings people don't like.

Then of course we had "Duke Nukem Forever" and we see how close that product turned out to the promises made and what footage of the game we actually got to see. Gearbox was ALSO responsible for that, and there are already parallels being drawn here, given the information circulated, lies, fan exploitation, pre-order gimmicks, and everything else. I think Totalbiscuit made this parallel last night in a video he did talking about why you shouldn't pre-order. It's paticularly damning when you consider that this is twice we've more or less beeen looking at the same kind of garbage from the same company.

Then of course we have "Dragon Age 2" which wound up being a mess of brawler mechanics, reused maps, and laughably enough loading screens that instructed you with basic "RPG strategy" about using fighters to block for mages and stuff, when this wasn't even possible in the game given the way enemies dropped ninja like off of rooftops, and pretty much ran right past your characters with no effort, etc... almost like the guys writing those loading screens had no idea the game they were writing it for. This isn't even getting into the entire "Hawke contreversy" where Bioware asked the fans if it was okay to remove character generation and have Hawke always be a human in exchange for voice acting, the response was pretty resoundingly negative, but Bioware said it was positive and did their thing anyway.

Then of course we had "The War Z" a game that didn't even have a fraction of the features (character skills, etc..) promised in the game's advertisement page on STEAM... to name a few things. Leading to a whole laughable series of events not too long ago where the guys running the company were trying to weakly justify why they weren't liars.

The point is not to try and start a giga-post of refighting all these tired battles in one thread, but to point out that these contreversies exist, and happen constantly. People just tend to forget about them rapidly, or just don't care unless it involves a game they happen to like or are interested in. Pretty much every one of those examples above involves a gaming company telling, or showing, people one thing, and then delivering something entirely differant, followed by a titanic shitstorm. We keep seeing it because we let these guys get away with it. It's not like Gearbox did anything here that nobody else did, they just took it to another level, which isn't surprising since the sheer audacity on display here has been climbing for a while.

At the end of the day the same thing is likely to happen here. Your going to have fanboys, like the infamous Biodrones, come out to defend their favorite devs and IPs as mindlessly as possible, filling those devs with validation and taking this as a queue that they got away with it and they still have fans. Understand this isn't a crack just on Bioware fans, The War Z even has it's defenders, and crap.. at the end of the day Colonial Marines will have it's fanatical defenders, both of the game, and Borderlands fans rallying behind Gearbox. People not interested in the game the contreversy is about will sit back and laugh about it and call everyone on both sides idiots (up until it happens to a game they are interested in), and things will die down and then another company will pull a huge lie, and the same thing will happen again. Nothing will change because we will not stop them.

Ideally it would be a case where gamers in general would all thrown down against companies like EA/Bioware, Gearbox, Hammerpoint, and whomever else and show them what level "toxic" can be taken to, not just in expressed online (and snailmail) fury, but also by refusing to buy their products, any product, until they make good for the things they have already done. A situation where fanboys defending things like "Mass Effect 3" or "Colonial Marines" would be horribly singled out and pushed out by the rest of the gaming community as leperous pariahs, as everyone, interested in the games in question or not turned on them, and with pretty much one voice we could tell the gaming industry to get it's crap together, and see lies like we've been seeing actually ruin companies as opposed to providing a five minute uproar on message boards and maybe the gaming press.

Of course it's not an ideal world, so we're not going to see that happen. We'll all get POed about "Colonial Marines", noise will be made. When "Borderlands 3" comes out Gearbox will make a fortune, few will care anymore, and those that do will be shouted down by the "I luv Borderlands, the games were good, why should I care because Colonial Marines was crappy?" crowd, missing the entire point that it's the same company, issues like this aren't about the specific product label.

Such are my thoughts.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Well that's a shame, at least we still have Alien vs Predator 2 and the recent Alien vs Predator with their Marine campaigns as well as Aliens Infestation and the hundred other games with Xenomorphs. Either way I hope Gearbox answers to this, I don't like it when developers lie.

Have they even released a statement about how shitty the game is?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Glad I still don't regret buying AvP 2010 on Steam, I actually enjoyed that game and the multiplayer was lots of fun when it worked.

I can't see anything good come from this, Gearbox is in some deep shit and that is an understatement.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
thetenet said:
I love the series too. I am sure it will survive one crappy game and whoever tries to make an aliens game in the future will have this demo as a solid foundation.
I don't know. I grew up up with Aliens and the original Alien is one of the few horror movies that actually scared me. But that was almost 3 decades ago. The AvP PC games were good, but the amount of bad far outweighs the good. For me, I think it's gotten to the point where if I see a new Alien movie or game, that I'll look forward to it with the same amount of enthusiasm as another Michael Bay Transformers Movie or another Call of Duty. Or about as much enthusiasm as banging my elbow on the edge of a table.

wolfyrik

Jun 18, 2012
FoolKiller said:
Magmarock said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

Oh... and the MP blows too. Its too glitchy and just isn't properly balanced. It feels like a cool idea, but tacked on with the engine of the weak sauce single player game. The maps are quite tiny and when playing a xeno, you don't feel very mobile considering what you are.
Which is probably exactly what happened and would explain why there's no FPP for Xenos. Why spend time adding a First Person Perspective when you can just tack controls onto existing models?

nexus

May 30, 2012
I know Jim is a solid Aliens fan, so I can see why he is upset.

I'm a passing Aliens fan, I really just love the atmosphere.. it is perfect for a game, and I was looking forward to this for at least a year. I just *love* movies like this, and I absolutely would love for games to capture the Aliens atmosphere and intensity. Thank God for Dead Space eh? At least we have something.

Sadly I paid $60 for this the day it was released, I heard it was "average"... by the time it finished downloading I visited Metacritic and.. well, my day was over. =/

nexus

May 30, 2012
SupahGamuh said:
Glad I still don't regret buying AvP 2010 on Steam, I actually enjoyed that game and the multiplayer was lots of fun when it worked.

I can't see anything good come from this, Gearbox is in some deep shit and that is an understatement.
AvP 2010 is actually pretty decent. Very flawed in it's design, in that it feels more like a cobbled-together "arena shooter", and not a true "experience".. if that makes sense. However, the game was very technically impressive and tense. It just gets a little stale...

Dead Space is as close we'll ever get to an "Alien" experience, and it's not a bad one to be perfectly honest.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Easily the best episode of Jimquisition I've ever seen.
Your point was made clearly and you didn't have to troll about it to keep attention and interest.

On Topic:

As a gamer.
This is extremely upsetting. We only have so many tools at our disposal before we commit to a full game purchase. If this practice somehow becomes the norm than there's no reason to follow a games production until we get the final hands-on review. They might as well just show cinematics and withhold ingame footage until launch.

As a general consumer.
It's pretty amazing we haven't seen this stuff happen until now.
Look at a burger commercial and compare that to the served product.
Look at the absurdly misrepresenting labels on the groceries. The reality here is sickening.
Look at how much a movie trailer can misrepresent the movie
Gamers have had it great when you consider other products. This demo comes off as an infomercial product. Amazing to watch but doesn't even remotely deliver. See: Slap Chop vs video's mocking the real thing.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Therumancer said:
Kyogissun said:

-snip-

Such are my thoughts.
Damn son, thanks for the refresher, I hadn't thought about that. And while I might say some of those were 'didn't live up to expectations but we still enjoyable/good', it is odd that not only did A:CM fail to live up to expectations but is a BAD game in general.

It's one thing for a licensed property like this to be 'okay' or 'mediocre' but for it to be as bad as people are calling it just has me kind of shuddering.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
Hopefully it will come out in the reviews that it was a crock... I really wanted to like this game, perhaps they'll patch it, but doubtful.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I would chime in on this, but I can't even play the stupid thing. The fucking ridiculously bad console port keeps insisting I have a controller plugged in and refuses to accept keyboard commands. Good thing Steam's so cool about giving refunds.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
I'm probably one of very few people who think this but, I would have much preferred a good Aliens game instead of Borderlands 2. Hell, I'd take anything over another Borderlands game. In fact, if I was forced to choose between this obviously terrible game and Borderlands 2, i'd still pick ACM.

Also no pre-loading? That is just unforgivable.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
While I can agree that the final product being inferior technologically is something something worth condemning.
It is entirely to whine about a sequence/mission from the demo not being in the actual game.

Several games have done it before to various extents, from just altering the edges of the sequence to make it self contained, to having entire dedicated demo levels.

Yes, the final product is unquestionably shit.
Yes, the demo it of higher polish than the actual product.

No, the exact sequence of events not taking place is not something that should be complained about.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
'Merica
From what I've heard this game wasn't actually developed by Gearbox and that Gearbox actually outsourced the game to another studio to work on.

If that's true, then my best guess as to what happened is that Gearbox made that demo, then handed it over to whatever other studio made the game and told them "make it like that." And in the end, that studio did "make it like that" since most of the stuff in the demo is in the final game, it's just that the studio didn't "make it like that" very well, and completely missed the point of what most of the stuff in the demo was.

Again, that's just my theory on what happened but I think it's a theory that makes sense. Still, if this IS indeed what happened then Gearbox still deserves all of the blame it's getting.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I don't necessarily think that this demo should've been a Jimquisition video in its entirety, because he's missing so many other things to grip about. This game is so awfil, in not just gameplay its, but how it manipulates and fabricates the truth so much, that if gamers get pissed, really pissed, this could change the nature of pre-ordering, and quite frankly, accountability. This game is, I don't even know what to compare it to, its so bad in its many ways unrelated to gameplay. The ending isn't in the game, thats DLC. Mass Effect 3's ending way have been completely insulting shit, but it was an actual ending. Oh, and the plotholes in Aliens: Colonial Marines are as insulting to your intelligence to the plotholes in the ME3 ending, and like ME3, you're supposed to swallow them wholeheartedly. They appear to piss on one of the most beloved sci-fi franchises for a buck. The developers might just have actually lied to their publisher, and broke the terms of a contract by outsourcing to other studios, so they could expand their studio by buying the Duke Nukem IP, and then they continued to lie (if they were in the first place) by making their hit Borderlands 2. SEGA might be able to sue Gearbox pretty much out of existence if they get any evidence of these rumours. Then there was the Survivor trailer, which was a complete fabrication to make it look like, as everybody knows it, horde mode, and absolutely nobody from Gearbox or SEGA correctly that as hundreds of articles and thousands of threads online were created on forums like this one, all under the assumption that it was, and they never corrected themselves until it was leaked by a Wal-Mart slip that is given to anybody who pre-orders there, which happened less than 48 hours before its digital relase, and of course, the review embargos, which I know serve a point, but that point has been a base point for a quite frankly anti-consumer tactic.

Jim, been following you for years, and your fanship is clouting your judgment. This video should've slammed everything. There is literally a conspiracy behind the launch of the game, which is growing larger and larger. You need to not just slam SEGA and Gearbox, but take this opportunity as an example of many things wrong that are pervading the industry. And since I know he's actually reading this, its up to you, everybody else reading it. If you don't want to deal with this stuff, fine, okay, but we as consumers make part of this problem, I'd like to take this golden opportunity to fix something, if at all possible. I don't want a witch hunt, but we have to show that things like this are intolerable, and regardless of what IP it is being released, regardless of what developer, regardless of whatever is being taken out of the game to be given to people who pre-ordered at a certain outlet, that we're not going to put up with things like this.

wolfyrik

Jun 18, 2012
@marsatlas, I understand that you're annoyed, join the club. I don't think flying off the handle at Jim is going to change much. Most of his recent episodes have described and derided exactly the subjects you're saying he should. As for this vid, jim doesn't normally release them on a wednesday. He didn't have to do this one. I for one am glad he took the time out to make this vid, it continues to demonstrate exactly who his videos are for. Us. The people who see and agreet that right now, too many publishers are trying to screw gamers and that too many gamers are allowing, even licensing them to do it.

This vid is spot. Frankly I think he'll prolly cover this in more depth on Monday. Jim's a gamer AND an Alien fan. I can't see this one sliding.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Dexter111 said:
Jesus, now that's sad.

I actually had high hopes for A:CM. I was hoping for a TRUE Aliens experience, what with the press demo and all. But now, All of my expectations are down the crapper.

*Sigh*

Gearbox... Where did things go wrong, man? Seriously.

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
I've seen this before. There was once a Mass Effect 1 demo in which you could see the gameplay almost as it is in Mass Effect 2 (which had better gameplay IMO), but that never happened and ME1 ended up with mediocre gameplay, though story was awesome. This on the other hand had neither story nor gameplay and that's why it's a fail.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
This is really fucked up. I hope everyone can get a refund.

Most of the demo was probably pre-scripted to get around the AI tricks, so any hope of them releasing the demo is probably null. My biggest concern is what happened to the graphics. It's not impossible to recreate that level of awesome atmosphere in actual gameplay, so I'm wondering which was outsourced or if part of the code was lost somehow.

Mar 30, 2010
Imp Emissary said:
Grouchy Imp said:

Well my grouchy friend, it's not really so much that they removed the specific part where you "go do whatever", but rather (from what Jim has said in the viedo) it's more about the bigger "long term" things. Like the lack of detail in levels, the aliens not attacking smartly, the aliens not being introduced in such cool ways, and the little things like the facehuggers trying to say ":D HI!" It's more about removing those things, and not so much about just not having the same levels as in the demo.

May you have a nice day.
I see where you're coming from, but it just doesn't sit right with me. The lack of detail in levels - well that's just a case of scaling a PC release to a console release isn't it (and I say that as a console owner, to forestall PC Masterace comments). Aliens not attacking smartly? Jim cites aliens not exiting and then re-entering vents to flank players as a feature that has been removed, but I saw evidence of this as early as the tutorial mission, not to mention through future levels. Aliens not getting the dramatic reveal they deserve ... fair do's, A:CM is pretty much guilty as charged on this point. At the end of the day a video game is much like a film in it's development, which is to say you'll always end up with a section on the bonus disc labelled 'deleted scenes'. I'm not saying A:CM is fault free (far from it in truth) but I am surprised by how quickly people have been to condemn a game whose only real 'crime' - and I use the term very loosely - is being average.

Anyhow I realise you weren't really wanting a back-and-forth but I felt the need to clarify my initial post. May you yourself have a good evening. *doffs cap*

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Is it wrong of me to be glad this game is a disaster, in hopes that it might shake up some game publishers' obsession with that fucking movie?

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
I will be buying the game regardless.
Not that I don't trust Jim... In fact the timing of it all lends credit to the idea that he has been sitting on this for a while.
I'm guessing he played the game pre-release for review purposes but had to sign some form of NDA that prevented him from telling us sooner...
But anyway, I love all things Aliens so it's on my purchase list.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Fucking hell Gearbox, if you've got the skill on hand to make a demo as exciting as that, what happened to the rest of the game? And why make a big fancy demo, and then go through it and take all the good stuff out when putting it in the game? Why would you intentionally do that? Who's idea was that? Fire them! This was all just a big nasty joke, wasn't it?

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Through the years as a gamer I have grown from making pre-orders and trusting companies to do right by their customers to Not trusting anything they say prior to the final product being released.

I have made my mistakes but I can happily say that I will never pre-order a game or think twice about trailers/gameplay presentations until I can see actual footage of the final products gameplay to make the decision myself.

The only downside is companies think I have no interest in their product such as with DMC I am waiting for it to go 20 bucks or less on steam. The game got record low sales but I have been burned way too many times by Publishers/Developers to trust them with 60 bucks again.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
Jim, been following you for years, and your fanship is clouting your judgment. This video should've slammed everything. There is literally a conspiracy behind the launch of the game, which is growing larger and larger. You need to not just slam SEGA and Gearbox, but take this opportunity as an example of many things wrong that are pervading the industry. And since I know he's actually reading this, its up to you, everybody else reading it. If you don't want to deal with this stuff, fine, okay, but we as consumers make part of this problem, I'd like to take this golden opportunity to fix something, if at all possible. I don't want a witch hunt, but we have to show that things like this are intolerable, and regardless of what IP it is being released, regardless of what developer, regardless of whatever is being taken out of the game to be given to people who pre-ordered at a certain outlet, that we're not going to put up with things like this.
I have the same hours in the day that you do and multiple game coverage jobs. I've been covering this shitshow extensively for Destructoid (which happens to be my day job) and took time out of that to make this video. Not that I'm saying, "Suck it up and be grateful," I'm saying this is just one part of a boatload of attention I've been giving this around the Internet. Just to prove I've not been idle this week, check these posts out:

My extensive review of Aliens: Colonial Marines.
http://www.destructoid.com/review-aliens-colonial-marines-244276.phtml

My captured footage of CM's ridiculous glass damage pop-out:
http://www.destructoid.com/aliens-colonial-marines-innovates-with-self-heal-glass--244698.phtml

Review round up:
http://www.destructoid.com/reviews-elsewhere-aliens-colonial-marines-244711.phtml

Patch coverage:
http://www.destructoid.com/aliens-colonial-marines-patched-on-all-systems-244825.phtml

SEGA's outsourcing denial:
http://www.destructoid.com/sega-denies-aliens-colonial-marines-was-outsourced-244728.phtml

I've done a LOT more than just bring up this sham of a demo. And as far as you talking about me addressing wrongs across the entire industry -- you said you've been following me for a while, surely you know I do that on Jimquisition almost every week!

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Naqel said:
While I can agree that the final product being inferior technologically is something something worth condemning.
It is entirely to whine about a sequence/mission from the demo not being in the actual game.

Several games have done it before to various extents, from just altering the edges of the sequence to make it self contained, to having entire dedicated demo levels.

Yes, the final product is unquestionably shit.
Yes, the demo it of higher polish than the actual product.

No, the exact sequence of events not taking place is not something that should be complained about.
I was not "whining" about the exact sequence of events not taking place. NONE of those events come CLOSE to taking place. The demo is a fabrication on par with Killzone 2's first ever E3 trailer -- and at least Killzone 2 came clean before release and subsequent screenshots/trailers were truthful.

The demo shown here was mined for trailer footage and screenshots for months after its appearance. I'm a massive fan of Aliens, been covering this for years, and not once was I ever led to believe the things I'd seen wouldn't be in the game. Quite the opposite. It's not just that the demo wasn't "exactly" like the game. It was a different game -- period.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Mister Six said:
Jesus. I thought people were blowing how bad the game was out of proportion by comparing it to Duke Nukem, but Christ if this true Gearbox really dropped the ball.
To be honest, it isn't ALL Gearbox's fault. Most of the game was developed out of studio, while the demo itself was developed in-house, at least from what I have heard.

If it is 100% true, then I wish Gearbox would have kept the entire thing in-house as it might have been a good game, otherwise. We have a few Gearbox employee's on the escapist. I wish they could go into more detail about this.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Wow, the game was so bad that Jim actually did a "Special Edition" just to express his distaste for it.

I'm probably just trying to force myself, but I at least found the game moderately enjoyable. But then again, I'm a huge fan of the series. I've heard some say that's even more of a reason to feel insulted by this, but by "big fan" I simply mean I love the movies and have liked every Aliens and/or Predator game I've played, yet I'm just ignorant enough of the full scope of the lore that the "Big Canon-Destroying Twist" didn't strike me as a huge mistake.

That said, I won't deny that I'm disappointed in it for the very reason this video exists: it was nothing like what was shown to us. The AI in particular doesn't leave much to be desired, it leaves EVERYTHING to be desired. This game suffered the same fate as Duke Nukem Forever in that it spent almost the same amount of time in developement hell. It never stood a chance of living up to how awesome and amazing it was supposed to be. At least with Duke, there's the flimsy argument of "Well, it IS a Duke Nukem game, just what WERE you expecting?" But in this case, there are examples of genuinely good aliens-based games (AvP2 for the PC standing out as the gold-star example in my book).

But I preordered it which means I bought it. I've completed the campaign but haven't touched the multiplayer yet, I hear that aspect of it is actually pretty good (and the aspect that Gearbox actually worked on while Time Gate did the campaign).

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Ronack said:
Yes, but the issue is one where you have to ask who will bring the case. We've been down this path before. Take say "Mass Effect 3" for example, when you get past the details of the ending, there is a bottom line where we have tons of solid information and promises saying specifically that is not the kind of ending we'd get, combined with an App showing that behind the scenes they had no intention of keeping those promises. Love it, hate it, or feel the whole situation is overblown... the bottom line is EA/Bioware very clearly and directly lied to people, they promised things they did not deliver on, and were shown to have had no intention of delivering on. I believe there was an attempt to bring this to court, but like most things it fell apart, and I don't think it was ever heard in court, or if it was it probably wasn't represented properly.

See, a big part of the problem is that all of the big lawyers that know enough to fight entertainment companies like this, work for those companies, or at least get paid a small fee to create a "conflict of interests" and prevent them from representing another side. A common tactic for big business, you ensure none of the guys that can seriously hurt you or play the game will ever be able to. Lawyers are in business so they are typically more than happy to take the money. You run into this whenever you want to fight big businesses all the time. For example when I was screwed by my employer, it took an act of congress to even find a lawyer who COULD represent me, and thousands of dollars later he just wasn't able to practically force them to face me off of the Reservation (ie under state/federal law) where I would have won, since he just didn't have the connections and knowhow to work the process. I was badly screwed, and 100% right, but the game was basically loaded against me from the beginning.

The gaming industry also got wise to this a while back, and you might notice they have started writing things into EULAs about people using their products giving up the right to engage in class action suits and/or other coordinated legal action. Meaning you have to pay for your own lawyer and go after them as an individual, as opposed to getting say 5000 angry people together, pooling resources and then being able to potentially finannce and maintain a legal effort against a big business assuming they could find someone with the right expertise to make it possible. How this applies in the case of Gearbox I do not know, but it seems to be an issue, and I remember reading about it (even on The Escapist if I remember) when we first started seeing the trend appear.

That's the problem with big business, the safeguards that exist against them are not practical to use. They haven't done anything illegal by simply making it nearly impossible for you to pursue legal action against them.

At the end of the day any person POed about losing $50 on a video game to the point of wanting to go after a video game company, probably doesn't have any clue of how to contact an expert in the right kind of law, never mind find a lawyer who is enough of an expert to pursue a case like this the right way, from the right angles, with the right precedents to have a chance. Assuming he could find someone, how the hell does he pay that person in what is liable to be a long case? When a business has tons of money, and you operate out of pocket, a common strategy is just to engage in delaying tactics to draw things out and render you unable to sustain your own lawyer/legal team. Then of course by drawing out the process they run up their own legal bills, which in of themselves become a deterrant because then the guy gets stuck with them if they lose. At this level the guy could be gambling his entire future livelyhood on the fact that someone lied to him and cost him a personal stake of like $50.

This isn't exactly expertly written, but it's a general breakdown of why it being illegal doesn't matter. Breaking the law doesn't much matter if you can't afford justice. In theory you could convince the state to pursue it as a criminal matter, but at the end of the day the state probably isn't going to want to use it's resources over something as trivial as a video game producer, they are liable to suggest the civil court system to you anyway. The state can choose when and when not to pursue charges.... which is also incidently why so many businesses pursue govermental contacts and finance politicians. It's high corruption, but if the governor or DA owes you a favor, it doesn't much matter if your wrong or not if the state just chooses not to pursue the case and decides to never accept there being enough evidence even when there is. Sure that's high corruption, and can ruin careers, but only if you can prove that's going on and of course find someone who cares enough about corruption over a business issue to care. If it's something like a video game, the odds of some CNN reporter or whatever with the juice to pull this off deciding to champion your corruption story are slim, because at the end of the day you personally only got screwed out of $50 no matter how big the issue was overall.

I'll also say it's not just an American issue, at the end of the day pretty much every major nation's legal system is corrupt in the same basic ways. It's why the crusading lawyers and cops and such are so popular in the civilized world as fantasy characters... it's escapism from how screwed up the system really tends to be. It's nice to see a fantasy story where the evil corperations take a beating at the hands of some lawyer that (lulz) doesn't care about money, or some DA who (lulz) doesn't care about his political career. UK Crime Dramas, Japan's "Pheonix Wright" games... all kind of tap into the same frustration on some level I think.

At any rate I'm rambling the point is that while it sucks, chances are this is illegal in pretty much every civilized nation they sold it in, but at the same time it's unlikely it could ever be pursued in any of those nations in a practical sense. All of which is why I talk about the fantasy of gamers standing up to the companies by you know, costing them money, and just not buying their products, while ramping up the toxic behavior and letting no supporting voice go unopposed. That's crazy fantasy, but the sad thing is that rallying gamers (which is like herding cats) is more plausible than you know... having the problem handled legally because they did something like fraud... heck the legal system is so messed up that there are probably arguements that could be made now that despite lying and trying to pass off their game as something other than it was, it wasn't actually fraud, and that somehow it was all legitimate to screw people... because the legal system is just that far gone when it comes to this kind of thing.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
MarsAtlas said:
I have the same hours in the day that you do and multiple game coverage jobs. I've been covering this shitshow extensively for Destructoid (which happens to be my day job) and took time out of that to make this video. Not that I'm saying, "Suck it up and be grateful," I'm saying this is just one part of a boatload of attention I've been giving this around the Internet. Just to prove I've not been idle this week, check these posts out:

My extensive review of Aliens: Colonial Marines.
http://www.destructoid.com/review-aliens-colonial-marines-244276.phtml

My captured footage of CM's ridiculous glass damage pop-out:
http://www.destructoid.com/aliens-colonial-marines-innovates-with-self-heal-glass--244698.phtml

Review round up:
http://www.destructoid.com/reviews-elsewhere-aliens-colonial-marines-244711.phtml

Patch coverage:
http://www.destructoid.com/aliens-colonial-marines-patched-on-all-systems-244825.phtml

SEGA's outsourcing denial:
http://www.destructoid.com/sega-denies-aliens-colonial-marines-was-outsourced-244728.phtml

I've done a LOT more than just bring up this sham of a demo. And as far as you talking about me addressing wrongs across the entire industry -- you said you've been following me for a while, surely you know I do that on Jimquisition almost every week!
Jim, why was Rebellion's AvP so... mediocre? I am only just going through it (Picked it up for $5.00) and so far it seems fun. The Marine campaign, while short so far, is actually tense and frightening. Does something happen later in the game that ruins it?

Also, I have to agree wholeheartedly with Aliens: Colonial Marines. I bought the Collector's Edition, only to return it that day after playing a friend's copy at his house. We both beat the game in under 8 hours. That shouldn't happen.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Jim, why was Rebellion's AvP so... mediocre? I am only just going through it (Picked it up for $5.00) and so far it seems fun. The Marine campaign, while short so far, is actually tense and frightening. Does something happen later in the game that ruins it?

Also, I have to agree wholeheartedly with Aliens: Colonial Marines. I bought the Collector's Edition, only to return it that day after playing a friend's copy at his house. We both beat the game in under 8 hours. That shouldn't happen.
Here's my old review of AvP. I have a kind of weird fondness for it, but it had too many issues for me to simply ignore: http://www.destructoid.com/review-aliens-vs-predator-164318.phtml

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
Country
United States
Grouchy Imp said:
Imp Emissary said:
Grouchy Imp said:

May you have a nice day.
I told you...

I see where you're coming from, but it just doesn't sit right with me. The lack of detail in levels - well that's just a case of scaling a PC release to a console release isn't it (and I say that as a console owner, to forestall PC Masterace comments). Aliens not attacking smartly? Jim cites aliens not exiting and then re-entering vents to flank players as a feature that has been removed, but I saw evidence of this as early as the tutorial mission, not to mention through future levels. Aliens not getting the dramatic reveal they deserve ... fair do's, A:CM is pretty much guilty as charged on this point. At the end of the day a video game is much like a film in it's development, which is to say you'll always end up with a section on the bonus disc labelled 'deleted scenes'. I'm not saying A:CM is fault free (far from it in truth) but I am surprised by how quickly people have been to condemn a game whose only real 'crime' - and I use the term very loosely - is being average.

Anyhow I realise you weren't really wanting a back-and-forth but I felt the need to clarify my initial post. May you yourself have a good evening. *doffs cap*
Not much of an Alien fan, so I can't really say much about the quality(or lack there of) of the game(especially because I have not played the game).

I was just saying that Jim's argument was more about all the little(or big depending on how you look at it) things that were taken away from the game rather than some parts(levels I guess you could say).

As for people being mad at the game even though it's just "average"? Well, this is Aliens, and that bit of fiction has a very big/passionate fanbase. So, you could say the okay, or good enough is just not "adequate".

Also, don't be sorry about giving me a response! For someone with Grouchy in their name you have been very polite. Thank you for that, and the returned wish of a good time.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Mister Six said:
To be honest, it isn't ALL Gearbox's fault. Most of the game was developed out of studio, while the demo itself was developed in-house, at least from what I have heard.

If it is 100% true, then I wish Gearbox would have kept the entire thing in-house as it might have been a good game, otherwise. We have a few Gearbox employee's on the escapist. I wish they could go into more detail about this.
To be honest, I think this is part of the problem, even we the fans like to try and play "pass the buck" especially when it comes to a favorite developer. We actualyl wind up manufacturing excuses for the things we should be attacking.

To my way of thinking there should be no justification for Gearbox, their name is involved, as are those of others. Everyone involved should be facing the fires of boundless rage. Naming others involved should not be done to excuse or reduce blame on one or more participants, but to build the fire higher, and simply draw more people into it.

In short what we really need is an Inquisition (more than just a Jimquisition), angry fans running around the industry roasting, burning, and money depriving anyone even remotely involved. You don't let the witch go because someone suggests that little timmy's stomach ache might have come from eating too many apples as opposed to the evil eye, you throw the guy who runs the orchard onto the pyre too.... or simply, anyone even remotely associated with kind of thing needs to be made into a target. We as gamers need to take "well technically I didn't have much to do with that" or "I'm just a developer, it was all marketing" as feeble excuses... sort of like a Nazi camp guard saying "I didn't kill any Jews, I just stood outside the door, I was just following orders", we should give no mercy. Or to use another extreme example... pretend it's Warhammer 40k and we're about to declare Exterminatus on the companies involved.

This might not be nice, or fair, and to some might even undermine my arguement, but understand that playing "pass the buck" is an old corperate tool that survives because people let it work. Blame gets passed around until people get bored waiting for it to rest, and eventually some elected scapegoat gets slammed, and the guys who are really responsible get away with it as the trend continues and nothing changes... as a result, you need to hold everyone, even those remotely involved, responsible, and not take any dodges or pleas of innocence about who did what seriously. The game says "Gearbox", they are responsible, if they passed part of it off to someone else, they are also responsible, Sega allowed all of this to happen, they are responsible, the pizza guy fed them during their lunch breaks providing substinance while they perpetuated their deception.... umm, okay well maybe there does have to be a limit... but still not much of one. :)

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
This reminds me of the same issue but for Far Cry 3's demo. I saw the gameplay scene compared to the demo, and yes, some of it was spruced up. Some people were placed in different places (and added), the areas looked nicer in the demo. However it's countered by the fact that Far Cry 3 will have had a whole world to explore, giving you probably multiple chances to play similar experiences, or little moments, in different areas. Whereas the demo had to show as much as it could in a small area and so had a reason to include stuff that wouldn't have been in that area of the finish game.

ACM on the other hand is a linear game. You're going to have to go through the moments which are shown in the demo and do them in almost exactly the same way. The approaches to the gameplay were never going to be as varied as say open world games which to me is what makes this all the more shocking.

Also on a side note, I heard this single player was outsourced and produced by someone else, not Gearbox. Can anyone confirm or deny that? I'd be interested to know for sure.

I wasn't terribly interested in this game from the start. More so to do with the Aliens IP. I was just never that into them. But I think it's a massive shame what this game has turned out to be and disheartening for my view on Gearbox, which had picked up after playing Borderlands 2. I hope it doesn't happen with any other titles by Gearbox, or any other developer/publisher that I am looking forward to in the near future. I'm looking at you Rome 2 Total War and Bioshock Infinite and.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go argue with my dad whether he should buy this game or not.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Therumancer said:
Mister Six said:

To be honest, I think this is part of the problem, even we the fans like to try and play "pass the buck" especially when it comes to a favorite developer. We actualyl wind up manufacturing excuses for the things we should be attacking.

To my way of thinking there should be no justification for Gearbox, their name is involved, as are those of others. Everyone involved should be facing the fires of boundless rage. Naming others involved should not be done to excuse or reduce blame on one or more participants, but to build the fire higher, and simply draw more people into it.

In short what we really need is an Inquisition (more than just a Jimquisition), angry fans running around the industry roasting, burning, and money depriving anyone even remotely involved. You don't let the witch go because someone suggests that little timmy's stomach ache might have come from eating too many apples as opposed to the evil eye, you throw the guy who runs the orchard onto the pyre too.... or simply, anyone even remotely associated with kind of thing needs to be made into a target. We as gamers need to take "well technically I didn't have much to do with that" or "I'm just a developer, it was all marketing" as feeble excuses... sort of like a Nazi camp guard saying "I didn't kill any Jews, I just stood outside the door, I was just following orders", we should give no mercy. Or to use another extreme example... pretend it's Warhammer 40k and we're about to declare Exterminatus on the companies involved.

This might not be nice, or fair, and to some might even undermine my arguement, but understand that playing "pass the buck" is an old corperate tool that survives because people let it work. Blame gets passed around until people get bored waiting for it to rest, and eventually some elected scapegoat gets slammed, and the guys who are really responsible get away with it as the trend continues and nothing changes... as a result, you need to hold everyone, even those remotely involved, responsible, and not take any dodges or pleas of innocence about who did what seriously. The game says "Gearbox", they are responsible, if they passed part of it off to someone else, they are also responsible, Sega allowed all of this to happen, they are responsible, the pizza guy fed them during their lunch breaks providing substinance while they perpetuated their deception.... umm, okay well maybe there does have to be a limit... but still not much of one. :)
You misunderstand, I am NOT a Gearbox fan. I do not enjoy the Brothers-in-Arms games, I found Borderlands to be a horrible piece of shit after the first hour of gameplay and Borderlands 2 is the only game that I can say I actually had a small iota of fun in playing.

All I am trying to say is don't place ALL the blame on Gearbox, but also at the parties that helped ruin what could have been a great Aliens game.

Jimothy Sterling said:

Here's my old review of AvP. I have a kind of weird fondness for it, but it had too many issues for me to simply ignore: http://www.destructoid.com/review-aliens-vs-predator-164318.phtml
Alrighty, read. I understand where you are coming from and understand now. Haven't touched the Predator/Alien campaigns yet, nor have I touched the Multiplayer (if there even still is any to be had). Do you think there is a chance for another sequel to AvP or Aliens in general after AvP(3)'s decent game and Aliens: Colonial Marines absolute abomination?

Groenteman

Mar 30, 2011
And here is why I dont pre-order games.

This demo realy takes the cake though. Im guessing the vast majourity of that all was scripted, with the intent of making it happen naturaly once the game finished. Except they never got around to making a decent AI or animations.

The enviroments are just weird though. It was work allready done, which they later reduced for... what reason?

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
neonsword13-ops said:
Jesus, now that's sad.

I actually had high hopes for A:CM. I was hoping for a TRUE Aliens experience, what with the press demo and all. But now, All of my expectations are down the crapper.

*Sigh*

Gearbox... Where did things go wrong, man? Seriously.
At least now we know what the fuck Pitchfords DICE speech was about:

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

The multiplayer is phoned in. It only has 2-4 maps total.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Well hey, look on the bright side.

At least Gearbox have now managed to blow a massive hole in Jesse Scehll's "Demos hurt sales" theory.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
You have to wonder why they'd go to all the trouble to produce a demo that was better than the finished product. Also wouldn't this qualify as false advertising?

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

This game was supposed to be all about the single-player; homages to the movies and being a "true sequel" to Cameron's film, something that they so ecstatically advertised. That is what the market wanted, that is what it was marketed on.

The fact that they dropped the ball so hard on that is worth every second of analysis, criticism and complaint it gets.

You have AVP. You don't need this one. Enough games go to shit because they crowbar-in multiplayer.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
You make a lot of valid points, and the entire situation is more than fishy.
But honestly, while half the video is the valid points: missing features, different mechanics, level of polish... then the other half is you saying "this dosen't happen" about a scene/story element/plot detail.

It kinda takes away from the overall point of the video whenever you mention something that's a legitimate demo practice alongside all the actual bullshit that Gearbox pulled off here.

Then again, I might just be nitpicking, because I actually like when a demo has a dedicated sequence, instead of plot spoilers.

TWEWER

Feb 8, 2009
It says it right at the beginning: "Work in progress." That means everything is subject to change.

You know what else was a fake scripted demo? The E3 Halo 2 demo. Evey smart developer makes scripted trailers, but that doesn't mean that the games themselves will be bad. Do you really not have anything better to do than make this masturbatory video?

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Ouch. Glad I didn't preorder.

I was honestly looking forward to this. I was envisioning a Versus mode a la Left 4 Dead: a small team of marines who only get one life each, versus an unending horde of vanilla xenos, liberally spiced with respawning, player-controlled special aliens.

Who is responsible and how soon can s/he be sacked?

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
TWEWER said:
It says it right at the beginning: "Work in progress." That means everything is subject to change.

You know what else was a fake scripted demo? The E3 Halo 2 demo. Evey smart developer makes scripted trailers, but that doesn't mean that the games themselves will be bad. Do you really not have anything better to do than make this masturbatory video?
No, every stupid developer makes scripted trailers. Smart developers promise something and actually deliver it. This demo was a lie from start to finish, and the game was shit. It would be nice if the developers were held accountable. I'd like to see everyone return their game to Gearbox and demand a refund. See what happens.

Ix Rebound

Jan 10, 2012
i think i can speak for more than just me when I say that i would have preferred the game be held back for longer if it had ended up like the demo

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Dascylus said:
Not that I don't trust Jim... In fact the timing of it all lends credit to the idea that he has been sitting on this for a while.
I'm guessing he played the game pre-release for review purposes but had to sign some form of NDA that prevented him from telling us sooner...
Just wait until June. It'll be going for $20 max by that point.

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
PainInTheAssInternet said:
Dascylus said:
I like the reasoning... My wallet also agrees.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Its nice to see that some people still read the comments in their videos and articles (I know you do, but its often a witty joke, rather than a full flusher out conversation - at least on destructoid). I've seen all of those articles you've made, and I'm on top of all the details coming out about the game, like you. I don't know if you've actually seen this yet, but there's a recent post on Reddit where a supposed developer claimed what another one claimed before, that TimeGate made most of the campaign. He said "85%", to be precise..

http://www.reddit.com/r/LV426/comments/18ewf4/a_lot_of_you_are_rightfully_upset_at_the_final/

I'm not critical of you covering it, I'm glad you are. Give SEGA, Gearbox, and those involved all the hell they deserve - I know I am.

I just think that this one video is out of place in your series because Aliens: Colonial Marines isn't an example being made of this growing problem where there's demos are misleading, often with some better quality than the actual game, in which Aliens: Colonial Marines is probably the most egregious offender I can think of, but the video itself just focuses solely. Its a lesson we've certainly learned by now with trailers, due to Dead Island (not saying the game is bad, its just not the game we were expecting due to that trailer), but its something we've yet to learn with things like stage demos. Another egregious offender is Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, where me, as somebody who bought the game, can do the exact same thing with Future Soldier's 2010 E3 demo. Now I'm willing to bet you that Rainbow 6: Patriots' stage demo, which at least had the courtesy to say "Not actual gameplay footage", isn't going to look like the final product, especially with Ubisoft cutting major parts of the team making that game since then (http://www.gamespot.com/news/ubisoft-cuts-top-rainbow-6-patriots-staff-report-6365058). It may be a small issue, but its happening, maybe even growing. I don't think you're wrong to go after Aliens: Colonial Marines, not in the least, I think its a missed opportunity to not point out this problem, that may or may not be growing, where developers and/or publishers are seemingly trying to not just trying to sell their game to us, but intentionally deceive us by selling something different, often better, than what their game actually is. I'm now worried that The Last of Us, which was just confirmed delayed today, is going to be subject to this as well. You know Duke Nukem Forever had its E3 stage show have the game look great, but if I'm not mistaken, it was at least honest, and what you saw was actually in the game.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
dragongit said:
I haven't seen game controversy this bad since the WarZ
To be fair the trainwreck of WarZ is still going strong and this while a big issue doesn't even touch the amount of scams and BS that game has made its unfortunate fans go through. lol

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Dascylus said:
Dascylus said:
I like the reasoning... My wallet also agrees.
Mine as well. I was one of the suckers who pre-ordered the Collector's Edition (the bastard cost $100 and didn't include the DLC) so I could use Ripley's equipment. I so badly wanted this game to be good.

Anyways, I saw the reviews, ran into EB Games and got a refund (notably AFTER it was in stock).

I'm gonna wait. I'm not even sure it'll take until June to find its way into the bin. As for the Collector's Edition, maybe Ebay will be of assistance.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Ulquiorra4sama said:

At least Gearbox have now managed to blow a massive hole in Jesse Scehll's "Demos hurt sales" theory.
This isn't the type of demo he was talking about, though. He used numbers from the Xbox Live Marketplace, actually. There's a stage demo, and a demo you, the player, gets to play at a home - the ones he was talking about. Here's an example of the difference: all Mass Effect games had a stage demo, but Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 are the only ones with a distributed demo for the masses, not just a select few people. The E3 2012 Colonial Marines showcase had a hands on demo of the multiplayer, but it wasn't distributed to the masses. In fact, only Gearbox employees allowed to play the xenomorphs, which makes a lot of sense, now that we've got the final product.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Apr 9, 2020
New Jersey
Country
United States
Wow... just wow.

I didn't even buy the game, but after seeing that I'm pretty furious. That demo looks absolutely amazing, it's everything an Aliens game should be. Could this be considered false advertising?

Gearbox must be laughing all the way to the bank with all those pre-orders they had. Well I for one hope karma hits them like a ton of Xenomorphs.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
MarsAtlas said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:

This isn't the type of demo he was talking about, though. He used numbers from the Xbox Live Marketplace, actually. There's a stage demo, and a demo you, the player, gets to play at a home - the ones he was talking about. Here's an example of the difference: all Mass Effect games had a stage demo, but Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 are the only ones with a distributed demo for the masses, not just a select few people. The E3 2012 Colonial Marines showcase had a hands on demo of the multiplayer, but it wasn't distributed to the masses. In fact, only Gearbox employees allowed to play the xenomorphs, which makes a lot of sense, now that we've got the final product.
I realized that after a bit more reading. Since i hadn't been following the game at all i figured it was the "standard" definition of a demo i.e. the kind that you put out to actually let people play it. Though i was under the impression stage demos were supposed to serve the same purpose as regular demos in that they show of gameplay. So i understand the outrage from the people who were hyped for the game, 'cause i'd feel pretty betrayed as well.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
So, advertize a game with content that isn't even in the game....?
I want to say that's illegal, but hell everyone does it.

Look at all the fast food commercials, their food looks like delicious high tier food, and ends up being hockey pucks >.>

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Screw Aliens, make another Duke Nukem game Gearbox.
I know the last one sucked, but you can make a better one!

PortalThinker113

Jul 13, 2010
LazyAza said:
Lies and deception are kinda Gearbox's thing now between this, Duke and Borderlands 2. People forget how god damn amazing Borderlands 2 looked in its trailers and while the actual game got closer to its marketing yet again the ads are incredibly over selling what the game is. I'm definitely not giving any of their products a look until they are released and reviewed ever again.

Thank god I held back on CM or I'd have blown another 50 odd dollars on a lie.
As much as I love Borderlands 2, there's definitely truth in this.

I seem to recall statements made in the GameInformer cover reveal where Gearbox talked about a system in which the player would experience dynamic, branching missions that had different outcomes. For example, in a quest where you have to save a captured ally, you could save him and have the next mission go one way, or fail to save him and have the next mission go a different way. What happened to that? Obviously, it must have been cut, but it was never brought up again after that cover article. Gearbox seems to be caught over-hyping their games a lot, don't they?

OP: I was one of the poor suckers who pre-ordered Colonial Marines. I wanted this game to be good so badly. Now, I'm forcing myself through the campaign for a combination of obligation and a curious "find all the things that went wrong here" investigation. I'm trying a pacifist run where I exploit the incredibly stupid AI and try to get through the rest of the game firing as few shots as possible. Sadly, this is pretty easy to do, even on Hardened mode, which I'm playing on.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Ulquiorra4sama said:
I realized that after a bit more reading. Since i hadn't been following the game at all i figured it was the "standard" definition of a demo i.e. the kind that you put out to actually let people play it. Though i was under the impression stage demos were supposed to serve the same purpose as regular demos in that they show of gameplay. So i understand the outrage from the people who were hyped for the game, 'cause i'd feel pretty betrayed as well.[/quote]

There are other examples as well, one that I happened to fall for being Ghost Recon Future Soldier.

That looks pretty good, doesn't it? The game is not at all like that. The first video is way more off than the second. What you see in the second, to be fair, can be done, but it takes four human players going out of the way to do it in situations that 100% of the time would be four times faster and easier to do it like a typical run-and-gun shooter. The game wasn't bad necessarily, it was decent, had a few interesting things, but it was certainly not what you saw in either of those. Hell, literally every single mission in the game forces you, as in absolutely no freedom to tackle it, into a big shootout.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Sounds/looks to me like they ran into hardware limitations and had to cut a lot of things out.

I would assume they(the devs) were as heartbroken as we are about it, but the console generation is seriously out of date by now. Thems the breaks, wait until next generation for this kind of game play.

Jim goes on an angry rant as if they were just stupid or something, but I seriously doubt thats the case. They probably ran out of funding or (as I said) ran into hardware limitations. So the actual game couldn't play like the demo did.

Edit: Or time limitations. Funders don't give them "until its done" to polish these games, you know.

Arnoxthe1

Dec 25, 2010
You have AVP. You don't need this one. Enough games go to shit because they crowbar-in multiplayer.
AvP2 is unbalanced in the predators favor and AvP is too old. I don't know about AvP 2010 but I'm sure nobody plays that anymore as well.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:

Watch Video
Hey Jim when you go through things like this for your job I always wonder.....is it tough to be a god?
Anyway good job loved how you exposed the lies of the corporation and the game!

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
I...I.... I don't know what to say. I was throwing money at my screen... how could such an awesome demo spawn what is probably the biggest wreck of the year so far...

I seriously wonder how Gearbox can nail Borderlands, this demo and then throw out the crap that was A:CM

Oh well, at least I still have my Natural Selection. Which is awesome.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Naqel said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
then the other half is you saying "this dosen't happen" about a scene/story element/plot detail.
Then again, I might just be nitpicking, because I actually like when a demo has a dedicated sequence, instead of plot spoilers.
I was thinking the same thing, the original half life demo was a completely separate story from the main game and it was fine, but I do wonder if a demo does need to contain the same story elements.

What if the demo shows a good story but the actual game is completely different and terrible. It would be like seeing a trailer for Star Wars, but when you go see it you get Pride and Prejudice.

Goro

Feb 16, 2021
Country
Australia
I got the edition with the statue... And.... It's a pretty good statue? All else is rancid. This game is a better tie in with Prometheus - the unfulfilled promise series. I'm going to try like hell for a refund...

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Ulquiorra4sama said:

Technically they still got the sales BECAUSE they had no demo all. All it cost them was their buyers respect!

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Dexter111 said:

Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

Just get Natural Selection 2 or AvP (2010) instead.

Thank you that really helped me better understand what some of the differences were in the game vs the demo especially the ai. God it really looks like shit by comparison. it almost makes you wonder what we would say without something "better" to compare it to.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
rhizhim said:
but it turns out its just another pre rendered thing that was labeled as actual gameplay just like duke nukem forever.
They did that with DukeNukem Forever? As in, released prerendered animation as gameplay?

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Mister Six said:
I think it's worse than Duke in that Duke Nukem Forever was simply a bad game, however this Alien game is an utter lie when compared to the demo. I believe if the demo had been sincere it might not have pissed everyone so much and just passed as "another bad Alien game".

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
The comparison video which Dexter111 posted was incredibly jarring. The graphics in the final game are a fucking embarrassment. I'd go so far as to say that some of those textures look like they were lifted from Rebellion's AvP - the 1999 version.

AyaReiko

Aug 9, 2008
Siege_TF said:
People are looking at this the wrong way; it's a conspiracy. Gearbox is doing okay, between Borderlands and XCOM they can get away with making a bad game that performs terribly and walk away unscathed. That's not the case with the publisher Sega, and Gearbox developed this game to give them a sucker punch and bring them one step closer to the brink.
XCom is Firaxis/2K. Gearbox has ACM, BL, and Duke.

- - -

Gearbox really needs to be taken to task for this blatant bit of false advertising. It's like seeing an ad for a Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese, going to a McDonald's, ordering a QPwC, and getting a fish head wrapped in week-old lettuce instead. No one would put up with that kind of shit, and neither should anyone who got suckered in by Gearbox's lies.

el derpenburgo

Jan 7, 2012
As someone who never really followed this whole thing and the was confused by the nerdrage over it this video is pretty helpful. Makes me wonder why there isn't a wiki for internet blowouts, I still have no idea where the WarZ thing went. :/

edited for me being stoopid

SweetWarmIce

Jun 1, 2009
I remember watching this demo ages ago so I assumed the final game would be a bit different. Not to that extent though kinda like how the Halo 2 demo at E3 had nothing that was in the final game.

I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition, I might be too forgiving but I am having fun wtih the game and think it was worth my money. They've the got the Marines and their weapons perfectly nailed.

The Xenomorphs do swarm you but they jump onto the ceilings and walls while coming and they do try to flank and surround. When on their own they hide behind objects and hiss to lure you in. I was also surprised about how quickly they can kill you, no God mode COD that's for sure.

Fighting the human enemies is annoying and tedious, graphics aren't the best but the gameplay is smooth and I didn't encounter any bugs or glitches like other people have. Winters can be a bit of a blank slate but he does have his moments as do the rest of the cast. I haven't touched the multiplayer yet.

Could have been a lot better but could have been worse too.

wolfyrik

Jun 18, 2012
michael87cn said:
Sounds/looks to me like they ran into hardware limitations and had to cut a lot of things out.

I would assume they(the devs) were as heartbroken as we are about it, but the console generation is seriously out of date by now. Thems the breaks, wait until next generation for this kind of game play.

Jim goes on an angry rant as if they were just stupid or something, but I seriously doubt thats the case. They probably ran out of funding or (as I said) ran into hardware limitations. So the actual game couldn't play like the demo did.

Edit: Or time limitations. Funders don't give them "until its done" to polish these games, you know.
Dood, what are you smoking? Have you seen skyrim, the lighting mods for it? Have you seen Dead Space? Hell, even Bioshock. They do exactly what A:CM failed to do.
And Jim isn't acting like they were stupid, he's acting like they lied. Which they did. Put this into context. Gearbox/Sega, released the demo video with the expectations that this would be the gameplay. They then gagged any review from discussing the game until day of release.

At no point did they mention or allow to be mentioned that the graphics, animation and content were scaled back, drastically, for ANY reason. What you are saying might make sense if other previous Alien games over the last ten years hadn't existed and done a better job in many ways.

Fact is, they mislead consumers, held back anychance anyone had of knowing what had becoem of the game, continued to pretend everything was a-ok, then hoodwinked everyone. They knew that pre-orders would sell on this game based on the footage they released and the obvious fan anticipation. There is nothing reasonable or regretful about this. They could have told us that they fucked up, they didn't. They could have even tried to blame it on hardware limitations. They didn't. They took the money and ran.

Maybe, with enough backlash, they may try to make some good on this.

And EA pigs might fly.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
How long has the actual title been under work? I mean specifically Aliens: Colonial Marines, because I remember hearing about this before AvP2(the game - not the movie) which was a lot of years ago.

I remember how I thought it was going to suck utter balls to be locked in one perspective, compared to playing all three, and how team work at the time would be near impossible, if you relied on AI companions. Of course, this was a long time ago, but it sounds like nothing has changed.

I am definitely an Alien fanboy, the concept is amazing and the stories around the characters who are subjected to these are great, in a sci-fi kind of low-brow way. It's all about the heat of the moment, which the demo pretty much promises.

The sad part is that I am not surprised at the result, I haven't tried it yet and I'm not bound to bother. I didn't like the last installment either, which felt like a pure console experience - which I personally hate.
Especially the way you had to change between walls as an alien was horrible and made my favourite game type the worst I had ever tried.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Wow...I...don't know how they managed to do it...but Gearbox ACTUALLY justified the argument of illegally downloading a game to demo it...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Glad you made this Jim, this was very fitting.

Another DUKE style release. oh well glad i didnt buy that game.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Smilomaniac said:
How long has the actual title been under work? I mean specifically Aliens: Colonial Marines, because I remember hearing about this before AvP2(the game - not the movie) which was a lot of years ago.
There WAS a previous 'Colonial Marines' game in development years back. But that one got cancelled, and this one by Gearbox has only been in like the last...I think, 3-4'ish years in development at most. But just like Duke Nukem it was simply that they took too much time developing/promoting a game, while failing to make the game itself better. They DID try and make it look better and more sleek, but that took away from the time needed for making the game fun. Because while there are people who say the game looks like crap, it actually looks pretty impressive in terms of that old'school Sci-Fi gritty/sleekness that the movies had (Aliens HAS a reason to be full of gray and dull backgrounds, and guns that sound out of synch with the muzzle flash).

But overall they hyped the game, focused too much on licensing and being 100% accurate to little details most people won't notice (ie. the muzzle flash and out of synch gunfire, which was in the actual movies), and getting the 100% go ahead from the series creator. Plus it might've also had to do with trying to compete with fast-paced action shooters of this generation (COD, Battlefield, ect.), and less on the horror aspect that the Aliens universe inspires. (Kinda how Deadspace went from 'Jump and scream like a girl in #1' to 'Stomp aliens to death while singing Cotten Eyed Joe in #3', and YES that was a Critical Miss reference).

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
My brother got this game. He was glad that he didn't get the CE, but he texted me that, "wall running in AVP was better than this" and that "XMen Destiny had more replayability than this". His gamer pride was hurt, but it wasn't until I directed him to the YouTube video depicting the difference between the demo and the actual game that his pride was absolutely crushed.

He sleeps now with a broken heart, much like one Jimothy Sterling.

Sordin

Aug 5, 2011
I am so disappointed. I had literally only just watched alien and aliens a week or so before this came out and loved both. Then I remembered this game and got a bit hyped. And then. Saw a couple of reviews which said it was just mediocre and I thought maybe I could pick it up when it was cheap. And then. I heard from everyone else that it was a pile of tripe and not even worth waiting for it to be cheap. I feel very let down

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Lieju said:
rhizhim said:
They did that with DukeNukem Forever? As in, released prerendered animation as gameplay?
there you go:
in 1998, and they said its mostly finished and needs some minor polish.

in 2001, its mostly done and will come out "when its done"

guess what came out in 2003?

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Ronack said:
In practice, no. Capitalism and all that. Even in the rare cases where advertisers fail to loophole their way out of breaking the law there is no actual punishment for false advertising in the US. No fines. No sentences. Literally not even a slap on the wrist.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Ronack said:
That big "work in progress" watermark they had at the beginning of the "demo" absolves them of false advertising claims. From there they can come up with any number of excuses for why the game doesn't look like this; especially if they never actually said it was true gameplay footage. (there are a number of ways to not say that while still tricking the public that you are and get away with it legally) Which is a damn shame because that looked really awesome; they may have had an unexpected customer in me had it not been fake.

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
I am just so disappointed with what a travesty this game turned out to be. It's fucking disgraceful really. I was looking forward to this game for six years. I was expecting THE Aliens game.

I can't even bring myself to be mad. I'm just.... I don't even know.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Yokillernick said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

I'm not 100% sure how many people actually bought an Aliens game for the multiplayer. It's like asking how many people bought Battlefield 3 solely for the singleplayer, it just doesn't happen.
Y- You're kidding, right? Go to any forum discussing any Aliens game, and it's going to be 90% topics discussing the multiplayer (balancing issues, how to play as certain races, etc), 8% topics saying that the game doesn't measure-up to AvP1999, and 2% topics about the actual campaign. Give or take.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Damn that demo looked good. A whole game along them lines was exactly what I was hoping for when I heard about the game in the first place.

Grouchy Imp said:
)
A good point, but the issue I think isn't just that these things do not exist, it's that they do not represent actual game-play. That the game itself, is actually worse than the demo, as the AI is not as smart, the graphics are not as good, the animations are not as smooth and so on.

If all the things they showed were a part of the game, but not quite how it was shown, then I don't think it'd be a problem. As it is, the demo quite simply is of a higher quality than the game itself, and that amounts to false advertising.

Not that they will get in trouble for it, as they said it was a "work in progress."

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Wait, scores in the FORTIES!? Holy jumping mother of god in a sidecar with chocolate jimmies and a lobster bib - they REALLY screwed up.

At least this proves that not all review scores can be bought.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
well, at some points i was thinking meh so they made a new level for the demo that's not so bad
but then i was all.. nah they've totally made a new, better more polished and complete version of the game
so why didn't this make it into the final game? did they hire a workforce of competent people for the demo
and just slack jawed yokels for the game development?

it's flabbergasting, and shocking and completely illogical
i mean, seriously if your demo is this good vs the rest of the game,
then delete the game and use the demo level

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Sweet demo. But for 90% of it to be a lie?
Someone should get fired for this, or sued for false advertising.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
I'm still trying to come up with an explanation for how they did not re-use the assets from the demo.

I mean, I may have no clue about how this works whatsoever, but couldn't you - theoretically - if you have a texture or model or so set up for a high-poly pre-rendered CGI section just take that and reduce the poly count/resolution and fit it into the game? There is absolutely NO discernible reason whatsoever for them to take out things like the cracked glass in the landing bridge sequence, or alter the textures that much, or omit most of the animations.

WHAT ON EARTH HAPPENED?

Theory: The demo was created by an external contractor, who either went bankrupt or made off without giving Gearbox access to the assets. Something like that.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Honestly I am legally blind without my contacts in, and even with them in my eyesight is shit, so all of this just seems like bitching about nothing when talking about the graphics .Please don't interpret that to mean that you don't have a right to *****, you do. I am just unable to commiserate with you on the subject as they both look very similar to my eyes (saves me lots of money on graphics cards). Still though I'm in the pissed off boat.

It was the AI for me that did me in. I checked out the demo videos before I plopped down my 50 on the PC version (got a pre-order deal) and loved how the aliens moved. I loved the AI and the pathing and how everything screamed Aliens. Then I played the game and got suicide bomber shooter #8. I went back and checked the other difficulty settings (I played on normal first), and there wasn't any noticeable change in the AI.

Thank god for you Jim, too bad I didn't see this sooner...

aenimau5

Dec 19, 2010
I hadn't paid any attention to colonial marines until all the crappy reviews came out but that demo was so good I got retroactively excited just watching it. Kind of wish I hadn't traded in AvP now.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Awesome video.
The one thing that is really mind-boggling about this is how much work they obviously put into that demo only to throw it away afterwards... I mean, there's plenty of animations there they could have used, they voiced 10 minutes of what looked like a game etc... that's TONS of content just down the drain.
Other than that, Gearbox really should apologize for this kind of BS.

After all this I'm really glad I didn't preorder the game's collector's edition like I intended to after watching that demo.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Halo 2, man...

Remember kids, dont pre-order stuff and just wait for the final product.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
The original AvP game in `99 or so was phenomenal. I crapped myself sooooo many times it wasn't funny. No saves as you go through, xenomorphs respawning here there and everywhere meant you couldn't 'stay put', and having to freakin' double back through a place you went through before and thought 'oh Jesus I'm glad I'm not going the other way because this would SO be a place for an ambush...' .... phenomenal game. Just phenomenal.

And then there's this apparent sham/fantasy ... a SHAMTASY!

Hell, in a few months when it's on Steam's Easter Sale or whatnot for $2 I might buy it. But based on the bad press I've heard so far they can go fuck emselves.

Seriously people @ Gaybox or whatever you're called .. you work in fucking IT. You know how quickly word travels on the Internet when you take a beloved IP with almost 30 yrs of history and love put into it, some of the most freakin' awesome moments of cinema history, bend it over and fuck it dry. Look at George Lucas and that fuckin' Jar Jar, or Indiana being raped by crystal skulls n whatnot ... Jesus you fucktards. Your moron managers with their sham MBAs need to go back to kindergarten. Let's see them finger paint a green Mickey Mouse and see how the kids react to them and their 'vertical fucking slice'.

Vertical slice wtf marketing bullshit is that ?!

Mar 30, 2010
Legion said:
Damn that demo looked good. A whole game along them lines was exactly what I was hoping for when I heard about the game in the first place.

Grouchy Imp said:
)
A good point, but the issue I think isn't just that these things do not exist, it's that they do not represent actual game-play. That the game itself, is actually worse than the demo, as the AI is not as smart, the graphics are not as good, the animations are not as smooth and so on.

If all the things they showed were a part of the game, but not quite how it was shown, then I don't think it'd be a problem. As it is, the demo quite simply is of a higher quality than the game itself, and that amounts to false advertising.

Not that they will get in trouble for it, as they said it was a "work in progress."
The inclusion of the phrase "work in progress" kinda renders this whole shitstorm pointless, surely. Seems about half the ads I see on TV for videogames have the disclaimer "Not representative of actual gameplay" in the bottom of the screen and no-one kicks up a fuss over them, so if this particular A:CM trailer states "work in progress" then I fail to understand the magnitude of this uproar. It's a shame that the finished product didn't have all the features Gearbox wanted to implement, sure, but at no point did Gearbox promise these things to us. They aren't going back on some contract by witholding these features, as cool as it would have been to have then in the final product.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
AvP2 is unbalanced in the predators favor and AvP is too old. I don't know about AvP 2010 but I'm sure nobody plays that anymore as well.
It would've helped if it wasn't such a pain in the ass (heh) to just get to the game. Seriously, whose idea was it to make a single person be able to launch a game without an automatic timer? I swear there are people who start lobbies and then leave it running just to troll. Then there are the idiots who insist on trying to fill all the slots who have obviously never played online meaning that they just end up getting a revolving door of players and never launch.

And if someone drops out, they can't be replaced for some stupid reason, meaning that if a game becomes unbalanced, it's impossible to balance them unless someone on the other team (or two teams) quits as well.

But I stand by what I said; Aliens Colonial Marines was sold on the signale-player, as it should have been, thus their failure to accomplish that is very notable.

Though it might have been because they knew multiplayer was such a mess.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
KeyMaster45 said:
That big "work in progress" watermark they had at the beginning of the "demo" absolves them of false advertising claims. From there they can come up with any number of excuses for why the game doesn't look like this; especially if they never actually said it was true gameplay footage. (there are a number of ways to not say that while still tricking the public that you are and get away with it legally) Which is a damn shame because that looked really awesome; they may have had an unexpected customer in me had it not been fake.
They did say that though, e.g. see this, which is apparently still one of the Trailers/Advertising materials being shown on Xbox Live:

You?re going to see what, what the game actually looks like. Not just Screenshots, but the actual gameplay.
But then, he's famous for being a known liar/exxagerator/PR person, I wouldn't ever really trust anything he says.

Grouchy Imp said:
The inclusion of the phrase "work in progress" kinda renders this whole shitstorm pointless, surely. Seems about half the ads I see on TV for videogames have the disclaimer "Not representative of actual gameplay" in the bottom of the screen and no-one kicks up a fuss over them, so if this particular A:CM trailer states "work in progress" then I fail to understand the magnitude of this uproar. It's a shame that the finished product didn't have all the features Gearbox wanted to implement, sure, but at no point did Gearbox promise these things to us. They aren't going back on some contract by witholding these features, as cool as it would have been to have then in the final product.
Please stop defending bad business practices and the people involved that tried to hoodwink you, you aren't doing anyone any favors by doing that, least of all yourself.

There is no other conceivable reason for them to make a 10 minute long game demo that looked better than the final product and state it is "actual gameplay" other than trying to deceive people and try and get in those juicy early sales.

xDarc

Feb 19, 2009
This is why I don't pre-order anything and wait for the actual game to be out a week or two.

MrCollins

Power Vacuumer
Jun 28, 2010
In UK law, it is a legal requirement that if you sell goods by sample then, according to the Sale of Goods Act 1979, the product must correspond to the sample.
Now sure how that would work in the case of a video-game, mind you. Also, gearbox could argue it wasn't a sample.
Still, interesting thought, I wonder if we'll ever get an answer.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Grouchy Imp said:
Legion said:

Grouchy Imp said:
)

But that's the difference. It may say work in progress, but it also says in-game footage. While you are correct in saying that the former means that they admitted it's not the final product, the fact that the final product is worse, is another matter entirely.

Although it is never explicitly stated, it is taken as a given that when somebody advertises something, and what they show is a "work in progress", it is meant to say "Don't judge it too harshly, as it's still got more work to be done."

In this instance, the "work in progress" is actually better than the final product, so people are pissed off, because it is effectively false advertising. Nobody looks at a work in progress and expects it to be better than what they are getting, even if the phrase doesn't guarantee otherwise.

Like Dexter said, you are defending poor business practices. It doesn't matter that they have absolved themselves of any legal issues by claiming it was a work in progress, they deceived people by advertising a superior product than the one they actually released. Nobody expects a half done product still being worked on to be better than the one they buy.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
It's like they released an Alpha build of the game on accident, wtf. :p

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I can't believe I got suckered into this too. I'm sending my copy back right away. In fact I'd forgotten that I'd even preordered it in the first place! Seeing it arrive today was like being told I was a complete loser. I think I'm going to have to start being more sensible with my video game purchases in future.

Mar 30, 2010
Legion said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Legion said:
>snip<
But that's the difference. It may say work in progress, but it also says in-game footage. While you are correct in saying that the former means that they admitted it's not the final product, the fact that the final product is worse, is another matter entirely.

Although it is never explicitly stated, it is taken as a given that when somebody advertises something, and what they show is a "work in progress", it is meant to say "Don't judge it too harshly, as it's still got more work to be done."

In this instance, the "work in progress" is actually better than the final product, so people are pissed off, because it is effectively false advertising. Nobody looks at a work in progress and expects it to be better than what they are getting, even if the phrase doesn't guarantee otherwise.

Like Dexter said, you are defending poor business practices. It doesn't matter that they have absolved themselves of any legal issues by claiming it was a work in progress, they deceived people by advertising a superior product than the one they actually released. Nobody expects a half done product still being worked on to be better than the one they buy.
I wouldn't say I'm defending poor business practices, just really pointing out this level of reaction is disproportionate to the offence (and it is an offence, just not one of earth-shaking magnitude).

As has been previously pointed out by other users, <a href=http://kotaku.com/5984068/how-aliens-colonial-marines-fell-apart>this article sheds some light on exactly what happened to the game displayed in the trailer and after reading it I am more inclined to blame Timegate for the loss of content than Gearbox.

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
Maybe it was pre-rendered or some sort of money saving plan that didn't require such good game play throughout. I guess it depends on what they referred to it as? but I imagine there is some sort legal BS that absolves them of the responsibility.

sadmac

Sep 18, 2011
I guess anything worth saying is worth saying verbosely, eh?

"And here this part isn't in the game, and.. oh yeah this part isn't in the game either, nor is this part..."

Kinda got the point after 2 minutes.

Deacon Cole

Sep 3, 2020
Country
USA
So, Gearbox should have their demo team make the full game and have their full game team go get lunch for the demo team?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
This video was put out... when? Early 2012, Summer 2012? Well, this was over a year and when they decide to cut things out or add things, can you blame them for changing things? There were a lot of games, which showed the game to be A and it was in fact B. Heck, the first Half Life 2 Screenshots showed TONS of content not present in the final game... did anyone call Valve out on it? No. (Granted, they had quite a lot more time between the release of their screenshots and their game, but still)

And some of that stuff is just nitpicking in my oppinion. For example the Weapon-table-example - so, in the actual game, they decided not to make the thing nice and tidy but for the demo, they did it to make it easier for them to show/find stuff. Turret-Placement: Again, maybe they felt that putting it down in first-person would feel better than doing it in third-person.

I am not saying that the game is actually great (in fact, I haven't played it yet but I am going to at the weekend), but blaming them to show stuff they change later? Come on, it's not the first time someone did this.

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
Proverbial Jon said:
I can't believe I got suckered into this too. I'm sending my copy back right away. In fact I'd forgotten that I'd even preordered it in the first place! Seeing it arrive today was like being told I was a complete loser. I think I'm going to have to start being more sensible with my video game purchases in future.
Here's what I do:
1) Never buy into hype (Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Amazing 2010 demo, crappy final product, so I know what you guys are going through)
2) Don't even preorder, put them as holiday gift ideas or shell out $60 and buy it yourself a month after release.
3) Don't even pay any attention to the game news.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
I got the game but haven't played it yet, but now watching this video is already putting me on the train to regretsville. Hopefully there is something redeemable about the game.
Now I am really worried.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Good episode.

Now I know some people have problems with CGi trailers. A problem which I neither understand or share but when companies release these things as "demos" they're leading you to believe that it's a slice of the game and that really pisses me off.
I too was really quite positive when I saw this "demo". Luckily a friend of mine bought this game and I realised that one had very tittle to do with the other. I really do think that it's a bit of a dirty practice.

If the finished product had even an iota of the polish shown in this "demo" then it would have made the game a whole lot better. I know people (who love the Alien lore) who thought the game was decent enough. Playable. But I couldn't really look past all it's faults. I tried loving it but as soon as you were immersed in an environment or situation that really reminded you of the movies and were starting to get in to it the game would rip you out that state of mind and remind you just how messy it is.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
Why is it so hard to make a great Aliens game? Why? They need to make it into a survival horror, not a shooting gallery... Perhaps Irrational Games should have a go?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I would say that perhaps Gearbox just shouldn't work with other people's properties... but they did fine with Half-Life, once upon a time.

This is just... what the hell happened...? How did this game, from most reports, turn into such a [email protected]#%? Sega even did a pretty good job with the Aliens game they made on the DS, for cryin' out loud; how did a a developer and a publisher with relatively good records manage to turn a good license into such an apparently under-developed product? Did they not allow enough time to optimize it for consoles and have to cut a bunch of corners at the last minute? Or spend too much time trying to sync up the art assets to their final version to work on the AI? The demo seems to indicate, if nothing else, that they knew what the game should look like; how did they fall so short?

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Jesse Billingsley said:
Proverbial Jon said:
Here's what I do:
1) Never buy into hype (Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Amazing 2010 demo, crappy final product, so I know what you guys are going through)
2) Don't even preorder, put them as holiday gift ideas or shell out $60 and buy it yourself a month after release.
3) Don't even pay any attention to the game news.
You're right, of course.

I normally only preorder games that I'm pretty damn sure will be magnificent, or games I will play despite what any of the reviews say. Skyrim was a good example and I'm hoping Bioshock Infinite will be too. This one? Perhaps I had far too much faith.

That said, I have been saved by not buying the latest Resident Evil and Assassin's Creed sequels this time around. Both of their previous games gave me an inkling that their franchises were going downhill.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Am I the only one who wondered how that marine had an alien drooling all over him, and then shoot it in the face point-blank, and still somehow manage not to get a single drop of that high-molar acid all over him?

riftermcriftington

Dec 11, 2010
So, other than the obvious financing rationales, why make such a great proof of concept and then not prove the concept? Did they blow through their budget making the demo? If so, they may as well have just released the demo, included a final sequence against the Queen and then sold that for like 9-20 bucks, Maybe as a trial run for an episodic set up. The thing that struck me was that, there was such a glaring descrepency not only in the quality of the presentation, but the competence of the developers and their understanding of pacing, tension, drama and design. Methinks the team that made this demo asked for too much cheddar and either Gearbox or Sega went with a cheaper dev team. As a result we, the consumers suffer and isn't that becoming par for the course.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
socialmenace42 said:
Extra video on a Wednesday
No Intro or theatrics
No Ironic self-referential smarmyness
No swearing, calm blow-by-blow break down
I think this is a major problem with internet personalities. While their work is entertaining, it seems to always come pre-packaged with this type of stuff. I think it makes them worse because it takes away the focus from the material, which is the reason why people keep coming back. Spoony is VERY guilty of this and it is part of the reason why I stopped watching him. I never liked the Nostalgia Critic (I thought his older stuff ranges from OK to Not Bad), but the series relaunch included a bunch of unfunny skits(Probably to keep the DR actors in a job) and a drawn-out intro sequence; some of the reasons why I stopped watching spoony. The cinema snob and Yahtzee do it too, but they are subtle about it, and that is what makes them great.

I don't know if it's just me, but I tend to skip over all that stuff.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
BTW, does this count as JimSkippable? Do we next get an episode of UnQuisition?

chozo_hybrid

Jund 'Em Out!
Jul 15, 2009
I just finished the game last night. I don't think it's as bad as some reviewers have been saying, but I will admit, I wouldn't give it more then a 5 out of 10. I wrote up a first impressions review a few days ago and I still agree with most I said there, I never posted a score etc because I hadn't finished the game and didn't think that would be fair.

That said, I think the campaign is shallow and average. The story was predictable, the twist, I don't think was as bad as some games do, could have been handled better, but at least we get a little explanation for it and it wasn't in the last 5 minutes of the game either. As for the game never explaining how the Sulaco ended up back over LV-426, it didn't need to, you got your answer when
fighting the Weyland guys on board that ship.

I've been finding the multiplayer fun, I gotta admit I won't play the campaign again unless a friend got this and begs me to co-op it, even then I may not as it was pretty forgettable aside from the sewer level. So yeah, I guess I'd the multiplayer is the only solid reason to get the game, as it isn't the game we were promised. Still got an awesome cargo loader figure though, guess that's something else.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Congrats Gearbox, you bombed it. First Duke Nukem Forever and now this, just stick to what you're good at, making your own IPs.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Reminds me of the exact same thing they did with Halo 2. While the game was fun, those tech demos were criminal in portrayal, compared to the end product.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
tzimize said:
Isnt this fraud?

This is fraud. Right?

I bought my game on steam, so I guess I'm fucked either way...but god damnit.
Make a ticket with Steam requesting a refund. They've done them in the past, can't guarantee you'll get it this time though, but very much worth a shot. Include some decent reasoning too, it's not like they haven't made plenty of fuck-ups you can cite.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Wow, am I ever happy I didn?t see that footage before now. I might have actually been hyped for this game. It's actually really heart breaking to look at this and then think back to the actual gameplay footage I have seen. Just, wow.

Jeez, it's going to take one hell of a quality streak in product before I can really trust Randy and Gearbox again... And that hurts because I liked them....

Prosis

May 5, 2011
This is worrisome. Everybody knows that trailers don't indicate what the game will be like when it comes out.

But now, pre-release gameplay doesn't indicate what the game will be like.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
xDarc said:
This is why I don't pre-order anything and wait for the actual game to be out a week or two.
Same here. I made an exception for ONE game: Portal 2. But because that game was made by Valve software I knew that I would actually GET the product that I thought I would get.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
It's just staggering the audacity Gearbox had to pull this bullshit. They make an awesome looking demo... and then completely disregard everything they put into the awesome looking demo and made a shitty game. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that WAS just prerendered bullshit because otherwise I'd have to swallow that Gearbox just threw away perfectly good gameplay and replaced it with complete shit for absolutely no reason. Which makes the demo a total scam, intentionally trying to pass off a prerendered CG movie as gameplay to falsely advertise a shitty product.

In one masterstroke, Gearbox have managed to throw away EVERY scrap of respect I had for them, earned from Half Life: Opposing Force, Borderlands and even having the courage to TRY and save Duke Nukem Forever (even if that failed horribly). To just have the NERVE to try and pull this garbage is just outright sleazy.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
tzimize said:
If the multiplayer was anywhere near the AVP from 1999 I would buy it only for that, fuck single player.
That or AVP2 would be fine with me. I'd absolutely get it just for multiplayer like that, and I hardly play competitive FPSes anymore. I have fond lanparty memories of different races as separate teams in separate rooms with open doors between them, so you could talk quietly to the people next to you and then yell at the people across the hall when you ate their face off after hiding above a doorway they didn't bother checking on their way through. I wasn't actually good at the games, but they were just so much fun to be mediocre at. Heh.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Ukomba said:
It's like they released an Alpha build of the game on accident, wtf. :p
That would at least explain the inconsistencies. Maybe, if you bought the game, you'll get the actual game by mail or something.

OT: I am a huge Alien fan and fan of Colonial Marines (the group not the game). I preordered because of that 10 minute demo thinking "If this is the Demo, then the full game will be awesome." I preordered the collector's edition, paid in full, and patiently waited for the game to be released. Sadly, like so many things, it failed to live up to even the smallest of expectations. The story is horrible (even if it was fan fiction), the visuals are extremely low quality, the animations (I'm an animator, so this is a big one for me) wouldn't have passed in my Advanced class, the characters are boring and unlikable, and ...

you fight Wayland-Yutani mercs instead of the aliens

I am very disappointed with Gearbox on this one. I will never preorder a game ever again.

emissary666

May 6, 2009
Well, this has put a dent in my enjoyment of the game. I bought it this morning and just finished my however many hours long session. If you don't have any expectations going into the game other than, "This is a game about the United States Colonial Marines", then it is actually a relatively enjoyable game; this is ruined by having a demo which, admittedly, looks way better than the game and now makes what was a passible game into a slightly disappointing experience.
Also, to be fair, somethings in the trailer that weren't in the game aren't necessarily too surprising. The weapons table is clearly meant to present the player with a pretty display of the weapons and the third-person turret placement just seems out of place for a game that is otherwise entirely first person. Too bad the graphics and AI don't match the trailer.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
This is nuts. Gearbox will have to address this in the coming weeks with the amount of bad press this is getting. I feel sorry for people who pre-ordered and something of good will should at least be extended to them. Honestly, this is one of the worst bait-and-switch jobs I've seen in awhile.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Is it possible for he pc version to mod out alot of the issues with this game or is it not mod friendly enough?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
So does the obvious lie about the product count as false advertizing? Customers should be able to get their money back. No other industry would allow "Hey, buy this awesome looking product!... JUST KIDDNG LOL NO REFUNDS!"

It's deliberately misleading the customer.

carlh267

Jun 4, 2012
Nurb said:
So does the obvious lie about the product count as false advertizing? Customers should be able to get their money back. No other industry would allow "Hey, buy this awesome looking product!... JUST KIDDNG LOL NO REFUNDS!"

It's deliberately misleading the customer.
Unfortunately, the disclaimer that stuff in demos on youtube may not being necessarily representative of the final product shields developers from being sued for false advertising in cases like this, as far as I'm aware. It isn't necessarily bad, because things do end up changing between beta and release, but the sheer amount of stuff in this video that didn't make it into the final product is just mind-boggling.

Unfortunately, in situations like this, the only way to punish the developers for releasing a broken game is simply not to buy products from them in the future until they shape up.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
I remember seeing this and being so psyched for the game that I preordered it. The more I saw, although it didn't live up to the atmosphere of this demo, still appealed to me.

I actually even looked forward to the whole over the top badass thing, I really thought that would add to the game and give the marines more character, but no. So disappointed.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I actually thought that demo looked awesome. Shame they didn't actually do all that work in the finished product.

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
Wow. I'd never seen this demo before, so reading all the Aliens reviews was just gleeful "Hehehe what a terrible game" enjoyment. But seeing this... now I'm sad. The game that this demo pretends to be would have been amazing.