Jimquisition: A-LIE-ns: Colonial Marines

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Yokillernick said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

But WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER? I've already asked this in a similar thread but everyone's apparently still too busy crying about the campaign. Yes, it's crap. Didn't happen. Sorry. Let's move on now, shall we?
I'm not 100% sure how many people actually bought an Aliens game for the multiplayer. It's like asking how many people bought Battlefield 3 solely for the singleplayer, it just doesn't happen. Plus you are totally wrong about saying that the people cried over the game. It's their right since from what this shows they have been conned out of their £40-60 which I guess is a good reason to cry about. So you might want to concentrate on the company scamming you before you ask about the multiplayer, you know priorities.

OK moving on. Isn't pulling crap like this illegal ?
lol It was a figure of speech. And I'm not the one who got conned 'cause I didn't buy it. Halo 4 remains the only game to date that I have preordered or bought right on launch day. People should consider being more stingy when it comes to new games. But that wasn't the whole point anyway. The point is, we've confirmed the campaign to be crap. I'm just trying to see if there's some lasting value still in the game in the form of multiplayer. AvP2 had some of the best multiplayer I've seen even if the Predator was terribly unbalanced.

Doctor Proctor

Omega-3 Man
Oct 21, 2008
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

But WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER? Is it half-way decent? I've already asked this in a similar thread but everyone's apparently still too busy crying about the campaign. Yes, it's crap. Didn't happen. Sorry. Let's move on now, shall we?
From what I've seen, the multiplayer is basically considered passable. Not great, not bad, but passable. It is, however, full of missing animations and low-res textures, just like the rest of the game. And it is NOT worth $60

Honestly, this is one of my biggest gaming disappointments. I remember when GI did a cover story on this like 5 years ago, and I've been waiting and hoping for it to come out ever since. I watched the demo and the trailers, and I plunked down my money for my preorder, and then LUCKILY saw the bad reviews rolling in Tuesday morning.

In the vain hope of some kind of miracle patch that fixes stuff, or some promise from Gearbox that something went horribly wrong during cert/manufacturing and that it would be fixed forthwith, I decided to give them a few days before totally cancelling my pre-order and getting a refund. As of yet though, that hasn't happened.

Their last official tweet (as of this post) was "We?ll have special Borderlands 2 SHiFT codes (from Moxxi, no less) tomorrow to celebrate Loverpalooza -- stay tuned!" I think that pretty sums it all up here...A:CM sucks because GearBox abandoned it to work on Borderlands 2, and then rushed it out the door because they counted on Aliens fans to just lap it up before the word of mouth completely killed it. Show what they think of their customers I guess...

spookydom

Aug 31, 2009
Ok all the hate makes a bit more sense now. I pre-orderd the game and have literally just finnished the single player. I enjoyed it a lot, however I knew full well it wasn't the game it could have been. During the build up before release I had not watched any demos, game play,advertisements becasue I didn't want any spoliers. I have owned every Aliens game one every platform to the best of my knowledge since the Amstrad 464 days so I was going to buy it anyway. Couldn't belive all the negativity and disapointment the game was getting yesterday. If I had seen this demo at any point before purchasing and compared it to what I just played through I think I would have been extremely pissed off to put it mildly.

SirDerick

Nov 9, 2009
rhizhim said:
where the hell can i download that demo in the first place(pc)?
As far as i know, this wasn't actually a playable demo, more of a "Let's show you guys ten minutes of *cough* actual *Cough* gameplay."
From the look of the actual game, most of this demo might have been pre-rendered.

labbu

Nov 18, 2009
rhizhim said:
where the hell can i download that demo in the first place(pc)?
It's a press demo, to be shown on press events to show off the game. It's not freely available.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ronack said:
So, basically... False advertising? Isn't that against the law in the US of A?
Unfortunately, "false advertising" is easier and easier to get away with because we've become a culture of corporate lapdogs who will either insist they don't mind being lied to or berate others for expecting honesty in media.

The latter's a tricky point, because we've always had the soft lies in media. Nowadays, we're getting some pretty major ones. bait and switch, marketing claims not even close to true, and demos that claim to represent the game but do not.

I'm fine with demos which are demos for the sake of demos, for the record. It's when you say that such a demo is from the game, or represents it when it doesn't. That's the problem.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
This demo....just release that alone and I'd be satisfied, seriously. This demo is fucking perfect. How did they fuck up the demo?!

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Doctor Proctor said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

But WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER? Is it half-way decent? I've already asked this in a similar thread but everyone's apparently still too busy crying about the campaign. Yes, it's crap. Didn't happen. Sorry. Let's move on now, shall we?
From what I've seen, the multiplayer is basically considered passable. Not great, not bad, but passable. It is, however, full of missing animations and low-res textures, just like the rest of the game. And it is NOT worth $60

Honestly, this is one of my biggest gaming disappointments. I remember when GI did a cover story on this like 5 years ago, and I've been waiting and hoping for it to come out ever since. I watched the demo and the trailers, and I plunked down my money for my preorder, and then LUCKILY saw the bad reviews rolling in Tuesday morning.

In the vain hope of some kind of miracle patch that fixes stuff, or some promise from Gearbox that something went horribly wrong during cert/manufacturing and that it would be fixed forthwith, I decided to give them a few days before totally cancelling my pre-order and getting a refund. As of yet though, that hasn't happened.

Their last official tweet (as of this post) was "We?ll have special Borderlands 2 SHiFT codes (from Moxxi, no less) tomorrow to celebrate Loverpalooza -- stay tuned!" I think that pretty sums it all up here...A:CM sucks because GearBox abandoned it to work on Borderlands 2, and then rushed it out the door because they counted on Aliens fans to just lap it up before the word of mouth completely killed it. Show what they think of their customers I guess...
I was lucky somewhat. I pre-ordered it and such and unfortunately had the balls to try it myself. I SOMEHOW got my 60$ back, though for in-store credit, I managed to fixiate that money into a Bioshock: Infinite Pre-order. At least then I KNOW it'll be worth my 60$

Mar 30, 2010
I'll start right off the bat by saying I don't know when this demo was made, but surely a game that has been in development for seven years will have some content cut from it that was at some point meant to be included? Fair enough if this demo is six months old then there is no excuse for it, but if this demo is older than that and is showing a sequence that was going to be in the game but then got cut after the demo was made, well, is it that bad?

Incidentally Jim, Facehuggers only twitch if it's love at first sight. Maybe this one just didn't feel your vibe. :)

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Wow this is really damning and I honestly can't think of an explanation other than a deliberate attempt at deception.

Could this be a legal matter? This seems like straight up false advertising.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
I just... I really don't have words. I did not realize that this shit as bad as it... was. I mean I was getting the jist of it from the reviews but, good god.

When was the last time this big of a disappointment happened for the gaming industry? Like... Driver 3 maybe? Or is there something else non-Aliens related I'm forgetting?

I seriously hope Gearbox is in some deep shit for this, they were probably one of the few remaining companies I felt weren't completely fucking up but with this... I seriously hope there's something that went terribly wrong and that this wasn't just the outcome of laziness.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
was this demo alone that sold me on it......so very very lucky i ended up being too broke to buy it day one.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Just found this on Kotaku
http://kotaku.com/5984068/how-aliens-colonial-marines-fell-apart

To summarize:
Sounds like Gearbox outsourced a bunch of shit to another company and they fucked everything up while Gearbox was working on Borderlands 2. Its too bad too after seeing the demo footage - it looks like it would have been a good game if Gearbox hadn't pawned it off on someone else.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Terminate421 said:
I managed to fixiate that money into a Bioshock: Infinite Pre-order. At least then I KNOW it'll be worth my 60$
Turns out you never go outside in Bioshock Infinite and you can't use anything other than guns until the final boss fight.

OT:

People should really stop pre-ordering unless there's some game play available to them. Patience saves you disappointment.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Great stuff Jim, this is a most disturbing turn of events. Could they do this if they had more time or is it like Kinect's Milo and it was never possible?

Also it's interesting that I visited Metacritic earlier today and it had 50/100, now it has 42/1000. The difference is that there was 90/100 Electronic Gaming Monthly review, which is so devoid of content it screams P.R. release ( http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-aliens-colonial-marines/ ) which has now been dropped. So on the bright side, maybe Metacritic is improving its quality control...maybe...possibly...probably not...